• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Anyone Know Special Ed Law?

Once again, thanks to everyone for all the great advice! We do realize that we need professional help on navigating the system. I continue to be amazed by some of the comments the teachers make and it just goes to show that they are sadly misinformed about special ed requirements.

We have an appointment with an attorney who specializes in special ed law tomorrow afternoon. Last night, I spent 3 hours printing out all of the e-mails, making copies of the IEP forms and writing a summary of everything that has happened since June. When I look at everything layed out like that, I can't believe what we've been through so far and it's only October!

On Friday morning, we are touring a private school that has a dedicated program for kids with Asperger's. So after meeting with the attorney and touring the school, we will decide whether we will ask for the private placement or continue fighting for appropriate services at the public school. Luckily, the attorney will be attending the IEP with us next Thursday.

Thanks again for all the great info. I'll keep everyone updated!

IF the private school is out of your local school district. Your school district has to help pay or pay all of it for you son to go. I have a middle school with adhd and the teachers are modifiy his work and tests . They should also be doing this for you son. I do know that you need to keep fighting and remember we are here for you.:grouphug: I thought you might need this.

One other thing in reference to the OP's situation. This may actually be more applicable to the younger years, but still may be used later. If a school is talking about retaining a child, and you are against it, tell them that the research doesn't prove the efficacy of this remediation method. I helped a friend in Florida who's son was being considered for retention. I got the info off the Wrightslaw site. She told them that the research showed that when you retain a child even one year that they are much less likely to be successful, ad if you retain a child two yeas they almost never graduate. Because IDEA 2004 states that the methodology must be research based you can use it to your advantage here. Again, I'm not sure how it would work for upper level individual classes.
Great info!! I will have to remember that!!!!!:thumbsup2

I'm rather hesitant to reply to this thread, but I would like to offer information on special education law as needed. I am not a lawyer and am not offering services. Nor am I an advocate. I have seen due process cases from both sides of the table and have been involved in mediations. I also have classroom experience and am in the final throes of a doctoral degree in the area.

The Wrights law link is fantastic. I would encourage anyone with a child in special education to know their rights and this offers information that is fairly easy reading as well as accurate. I would also encourage you to find your state's regulations on special education. Likewise, I would encourage you to all read your state Parent's Right book that you should receive at least yearly. (I recall several parents with whom I used to work telling me that they were going to wallpaper with them. Please don't be those parents.) Finally, contact your state department of education and talk with someone in special services. Remember that state laws on education may differ substantially. Some states choose to barely meet the federal requirements while others go above and beyond what is required.

That being said, I think there's a bit of confusion of terms going on in this post. I would like to, at least, clarify those terms:

accommodations - delivered under IEPs and 504s; these allow students to progress towards goals identical to their peers but to show mastery in new ways or to receive certain changes to different areas (presentation, timing, etc.) Good examples of an accommodation would be having a test read, using a pictorial schedule, using a calculator, receiving extra time, etc. A good way to remember these is that a student is still held to the same standard but just shows knowledge of that standard in a new way. In other words, if a teacher is measuring reading fluency, she wouldn't read the passage to the student (this is a modification). However, if she were measuring comprehension she could read the passage to the student.

modifications - delivered under IEPs; these make changes, typically lower, to expectations and/or standards of other students. Modifications are typically not necessary with high functioning students. These include limiting the number of answers on a test, lowering the number of math problems a student has to complete, etc.

These two terms are often confused. For those of you with children in schools, here are a couple of resources:
http://www.specialconnections.ku.edu/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/specconn/main.php?cat=instruction&section=main
http://iris.peabody.vanderbilt.edu/ - click on resources

Both of these sites give some great information about various strategies as well as information on accommodations and modifications.

From my past experience, my students with Asperger's were high functioning and did not require any modifications. We stuck to accommodations and, in some cases, used a one-on-one para. The students also had behavior intervention plans to assist in preventing 'melt-downs' and we had incorporated what I called 'triage' points throughout the day. (These triage points were based on a bit of data collection on their past behaviors. Some students needed a triage first thing in the morning, after lunch, and before they went home. Others only needed one a few days a week. Again, depends on the kiddo.) We also used focus rooms to help students begin to recognize when their behaviors were getting out of control and go to a safe spot for processing (this was in high school).

Law-wise, I would also like to clarify a couple of things:
IDEA 2004 has basically aligned the expectations with NCLB. That was its sole purpose. All districts are required to test all students using typical assessments (with or without accommodations), out of level assessments (for students performing below grade level), or alternate assessment (for students with "significant cognitive disabilities" - words not mine). Alternate assessment is reserved for only 2% of a school's population and is typically used with individuals with significant intellectual disabilities.

Where it starts to get sticky on assessment has to do with the accommodations detailed in the IEP (parents are equal members of the IEP team) and the validity of assessments. Some states, for instance, don't allow reading tests to be read since the testing manufacturers indicate that it violates the validity of the test. In many situations, students with Asperger's are not academically below grade level so the other two tests are not a valid measure either. Thus, when school personnel tell you that an accommodation may not be allowable on a particular assessment, they may just be making you aware. It's also worthy to note that these decisions are out of a district's hands and are decided by the state education agency (i.e. don't shoot the messenger).

Also understand that putting a student with special needs in a private school does not guarantee that a district will necessarily have to pay for it. In order for the school to be held liable for that tuition, you'll need to show that a comparable (this does not mean same) program was not available in that district and that the program the district offered was at least 'tried'. Sometimes a district may not pursue due process in this regards, but they are increasingly doing so with the some of the recent supreme court decisions and with rising costs associated with private school placement.

Finally, FAPE and LRE are two often confused words. Free, appropriate public education does not equal 'best'. It does mean that a student will be provided services that are appropriate for their needs. Least restrictive environment does not always equal complete inclusion either. It simply means that a student's needs will be taken into account when considering their placement along the service continuum (self-contained private setting all the way up to fully included in a public school). While full inclusion is certainly desirable, particularly when considering their future post-school environments, it may not be a suitable placement for all students. The IEP team (remember, this includes parents as an equal member) must consider the needs of the student when deciding on their placement.

I hope some of this helps. I would ask that those who are itching at flaming try to temper their remarks. If you feel something was explained in error, feel free to correct but I would ask that you cite your resources and I'll happily share mine - right down to the section of the law, if needed. If you would like further clarification of those sources or the actual citation to the law, feel free to ask too!

PS Since someone also posted that they refused to sign the IEP until it was exactly how they wanted it. The only times that signatures are needed is the consent for evaluation and initial placement. The IEP document signature page, following initial placement, is merely a recording of individuals who took part in the IEP. If you have a disagreement with the IEP, it is best to provide that specific information in a separate document attached to the IEP - provided that the district chooses not to adapt the IEP according to your input. Withholding a signature really has no effect. However, having a document detailing your disagreement with certain portions of the IEP can definitely detail a lack of collaboration.

Thank you for all the great info Maraena!!!! Sounds like you have a wealth of knowledge and some great experience! I am glad you posted!! I am very fortunate that I have a great District but as you read on some of these threads others are not so fortunate! So thank you I am sure some parents can really use the info that you have given here!!!:banana: :banana:

Also understand that putting a student with special needs in a private school does not guarantee that a district will necessarily have to pay for it. In order for the school to be held liable for that tuition, you'll need to show that a comparable (this does not mean same) program was not available in that district and that the program the district offered was at least 'tried'. Sometimes a district may not pursue due process in this regards, but they are increasingly doing so with the some of the recent supreme court decisions and with rising costs associated with private school placement.

Thanks for all of the information. We know that the district doesn't have to pay for a private placement. When we met with the attorney yesterday, she said you have to show that you tried the district's program and that it was not successful for your child. We've already been trying for two months and the attorney said that was adequate time. If we end up in a Fair Hearing, the judge would need to be convinced that we gave it a fair try.

I hope some of this helps. I would ask that those who are itching at flaming try to temper their remarks. If you feel something was explained in error, feel free to correct but I would ask that you cite your resources and I'll happily share mine - right down to the section of the law, if needed. If you would like further clarification of those sources or the actual citation to the law, feel free to ask too!

No flames from me! I really apppreciate that you took so much time to explain all of this. I'm going to read it over again to make sure I didn't miss anything and also show it to my husband. The more knowledge we're armed with, the better! Thanks again!:)

[

I would have to agree if you get emotional and are itching to slam them they tend to use this against you. I had that happen to me in pre-K.

Luvbunnies how did your tour go in the Aspies school?

Thanks for asking. It actually went really well. We were impressed at the level of academics - the middle school kids were working on Earth Science and naming the layers of the earth which is exactly what my son is working on right now. If fact, he has to do a drawing of the earth's layers for homework this weekend. The high school kids were doing Chemistry. So academically the school seems really good. The also have a wonderful behavioral/social component to the program. The guy who designed the program and now works there as a consultant spent a lot of time explaining to us how it works. Then he told us he also has Asperger's! I was shocked but my husband said he'd already figured it out. We met an aide who has Asperger's too. He was extremely knowledgeable about behavior and how kids with Asperger's just can't fit into mainstream expectations. We kept nodding our heads and were so excited to hear them saying exactly what we've believed all along. Another aide who talked to us also has a child who attends the school. She raved about the program and said her daughter is almost ready to go back to her public school. Our official tour guide was a cute little boy who goes to the school. He very proudly led us around and showed us the classrooms.

We would be confident sending our son to the school. Our attorney is going to present it as an option to the special ed director. I'm sure there will be plenty of negotiating going on between them and we'll see where it goes from here!

Thanks for asking. It actually went really well. We were impressed at the level of academics - the middle school kids were working on Earth Science and naming the layers of the earth which is exactly what my son is working on right now. If fact, he has to do a drawing of the earth's layers for homework this weekend. The high school kids were doing Chemistry. So academically the school seems really good. The also have a wonderful behavioral/social component to the program. The guy who designed the program and now works there as a consultant spent a lot of time explaining to us how it works. Then he told us he also has Asperger's! I was shocked but my husband said he'd already figured it out. We met an aide who has Asperger's too. He was extremely knowledgeable about behavior and how kids with Asperger's just can't fit into mainstream expectations. We kept nodding our heads and were so excited to hear them saying exactly what we've believed all along. Another aide who talked to us also has a child who attends the school. She raved about the program and said her daughter is almost ready to go back to her public school. Our official tour guide was a cute little boy who goes to the school. He very proudly led us around and showed us the classrooms.

We would be confident sending our son to the school. Our attorney is going to present it as an option to the special ed director. I'm sure there will be plentynegotiating going on between them and we'll see where it goes from here!

Hey Luvbunnies it sounds wonderful!!!! I am soooo happy for you!!!! Just be careful is there a provisional certificate???

I'm rather hesitant to reply to this thread, but I would like to offer information on special education law as needed. I am not a lawyer and am not offering services. Nor am I an advocate. I have seen due process cases from both sides of the table and have been involved in mediations. I also have classroom experience and am in the final throes of a doctoral degree in the area.

The Wrights law link is fantastic. I would encourage anyone with a child in special education to know their rights and this offers information that is fairly easy reading as well as accurate. I would also encourage you to find your state's regulations on special education. Likewise, I would encourage you to all read your state Parent's Right book that you should receive at least yearly. (I recall several parents with whom I used to work telling me that they were going to wallpaper with them. Please don't be those parents.) Finally, contact your state department of education and talk with someone in special services. Remember that state laws on education may differ substantially. Some states choose to barely meet the federal requirements while others go above and beyond what is required.

That being said, I think there's a bit of confusion of terms going on in this post. I would like to, at least, clarify those terms:

accommodations - delivered under IEPs and 504s; these allow students to progress towards goals identical to their peers but to show mastery in new ways or to receive certain changes to different areas (presentation, timing, etc.) Good examples of an accommodation would be having a test read, using a pictorial schedule, using a calculator, receiving extra time, etc. A good way to remember these is that a student is still held to the same standard but just shows knowledge of that standard in a new way. In other words, if a teacher is measuring reading fluency, she wouldn't read the passage to the student (this is a modification). However, if she were measuring comprehension she could read the passage to the student.

modifications - delivered under IEPs; these make changes, typically lower, to expectations and/or standards of other students. Modifications are typically not necessary with high functioning students. These include limiting the number of answers on a test, lowering the number of math problems a student has to complete, etc.

These two terms are often confused. For those of you with children in schools, here are a couple of resources:
http://www.specialconnections.ku.edu/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/specconn/main.php?cat=instruction&section=main
http://iris.peabody.vanderbilt.edu/ - click on resources

Both of these sites give some great information about various strategies as well as information on accommodations and modifications.

From my past experience, my students with Asperger's were high functioning and did not require any modifications. We stuck to accommodations and, in some cases, used a one-on-one para. The students also had behavior intervention plans to assist in preventing 'melt-downs' and we had incorporated what I called 'triage' points throughout the day. (These triage points were based on a bit of data collection on their past behaviors. Some students needed a triage first thing in the morning, after lunch, and before they went home. Others only needed one a few days a week. Again, depends on the kiddo.) We also used focus rooms to help students begin to recognize when their behaviors were getting out of control and go to a safe spot for processing (this was in high school).

Law-wise, I would also like to clarify a couple of things:
IDEA 2004 has basically aligned the expectations with NCLB. That was its sole purpose. All districts are required to test all students using typical assessments (with or without accommodations), out of level assessments (for students performing below grade level), or alternate assessment (for students with "significant cognitive disabilities" - words not mine). Alternate assessment is reserved for only 2% of a school's population and is typically used with individuals with significant intellectual disabilities.

Where it starts to get sticky on assessment has to do with the accommodations detailed in the IEP (parents are equal members of the IEP team) and the validity of assessments. Some states, for instance, don't allow reading tests to be read since the testing manufacturers indicate that it violates the validity of the test. In many situations, students with Asperger's are not academically below grade level so the other two tests are not a valid measure either. Thus, when school personnel tell you that an accommodation may not be allowable on a particular assessment, they may just be making you aware. It's also worthy to note that these decisions are out of a district's hands and are decided by the state education agency (i.e. don't shoot the messenger).

Finally, FAPE and LRE are two often confused words. Free, appropriate public education does not equal 'best'. It does mean that a student will be provided services that are appropriate for their needs. Least restrictive environment does not always equal complete inclusion either. It simply means that a student's needs will be taken into account when considering their placement along the service continuum (self-contained private setting all the way up to fully included in a public school). While full inclusion is certainly desirable, particularly when considering their future post-school environments, it may not be a suitable placement for all students. The IEP team (remember, this includes parents as an equal member) must consider the needs of the student when deciding on their placement.

PS Since someone also posted that they refused to sign the IEP until it was exactly how they wanted it. The only times that signatures are needed is the consent for evaluation and initial placement. The IEP document signature page, following initial placement, is merely a recording of individuals who took part in the IEP. If you have a disagreement with the IEP, it is best to provide that specific information in a separate document attached to the IEP - provided that the district chooses not to adapt the IEP according to your input. Withholding a signature really has no effect. However, having a document detailing your disagreement with certain portions of the IEP can definitely detail a lack of collaboration.

It's obvious that you're very well informed. Your post gives a lot of very good information. I do disagree with your assessment of the relationship between NCLB and IDEA 2004. While the language in both was synced up, the purpose is still separate. NCLB is meant to provide accountability to the schools to make sure that they're doing they're job. IDEA is an update of an existing set of laws that are in place to protect the rights of special needs students. The standardized tests involved in NCLB aren't supposed to be used for individual assessments of students and they certainly shouldn't be used if alternative testing/assessments are listed on a child's IEP.

You also find (at least in my area and my state) that some districts try to get around the requirement of testing all students (except a very small percent) by either placing more children in the lower achieving self-contained classes than belong there, or by not providing a truly full continuum of services they force parents to accept out of district placements. This gets those students off their testing records. I've even experienced, through my parent advocacy group, some parents being told that if their child is "sick" on testing day they shouldn't push them to go.

In my instance, the principal balked at putting "access to a computer for longer writing assignments" because she said that the computer couldn't be used in third grade. My son's writing is extremely illegible due to motor delays and motor planning problems. The mechanics of writing are getting in the way of the writing process. I first informed her that the CSE meeting at the beginning of second grade is not the place to emphasize testing needs for the end of third grade and that his overall learning needs were more important than future testing considerations. I also know, for a fact, that while computers can't be used during standardized testing in NY and reading passages can't be read to students, a scribe can be offered during the written portion. Because our schools haven't traditionally offered inclusion (I know that LRE and inclusion aren't the same things) for any of their special needs students the administrators don't seem to now what to do to facilitate testing. I won't even get into the rest of the sometimes illegal and highly inappropriate statements that were made at that meeting. Not all districts/district personnel know the laws or follow them.

My son does extremely poorly on standardized tests directly due to his disability. I will work with his school to make sure as many testing accommodations are in place. However, while he may have to take the standardized tests I will make sure (by putting it in his IEP) that they aren't used to assess his competency in his subjects.

As to the signing of IEP's, I agree that not all districts have you sign something to indicate your agreement. Some do, and if that's the case and you don't agree with it, don't sign. As you said, if your district doesn't require a signature option then you would have to put your disagreement in writing. In NY we still have status quo (it was removed by IDEA 2004 but put back in by our state legislature), so al I had to do when I disagreed with DS's spring IEP was to request status quo and his current IEP stood until outside evaluations took place and and agreement could be reached.

Lastly, when it comes to private school placement, there has been a recent change. While a parent should never place a child in a private school assuming the district absolutely will pay, a recent Supreme Court decision says that a parent doesn't necessarily have to try the program that the district offers first.http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/10/10/new-york-city-loses-special-education-appeal/

We would be confident sending our son to the school. Our attorney is going to present it as an option to the special ed director. I'm sure there will be plenty of negotiating going on between them and we'll see where it goes from here!

Sounds like a really good school. Also, just FYI, there are a number of professors in higher ed that have been diagnosed with Asperger's, either prior to assuming the position or resulting from having a child with symptoms. Kids with Asperger's are exceedingly bright - typically above average - and never let anyone tell you otherwise.

Sounds like a really good school. Also, just FYI, there are a number of professors in higher ed that have been diagnosed with Asperger's, either prior to assuming the position or resulting from having a child with symptoms. Kids with Asperger's are exceedingly bright - typically above average - and never let anyone tell you otherwise.

Isn't that the truth!!!! :goodvibes :goodvibes

It's obvious that you're very well informed. Your post gives a lot of very good information. I do disagree with your assessment of the relationship between NCLB and IDEA 2004. While the language in both was synced up, the purpose is still separate. NCLB is meant to provide accountability to the schools to make sure that they're doing they're job. IDEA is an update of an existing set of laws that are in place to protect the rights of special needs students. The standardized tests involved in NCLB aren't supposed to be used for individual assessments of students and they certainly shouldn't be used if alternative testing/assessments are listed on a child's IEP.

My assessment of the alignment of IDEA 2004 and NCLB was based in part on the findings and implicit purpose of IDEA 2004. Specifically, (c)(5)(C) found at the very beginning of the act speaks of aligning with other efforts and directly mentions the Elementary and Secondary Act of 1965 (aka NCLB). The highly qualified pieces, assessment emphasis, and many of the discipline pieces also coincide with NCLB.

Absolutely correct. The IEP goals should be assessed according to solid data collection mechanisms. Using a standardized assessment for that purpose would denote that the district was not necessarily individualizing for that student. Afterall, if we're going to assess on the exact same goals as other students what's the purpose of special education?

You also find (at least in my area and my state) that some districts try to get around the requirement of testing all students (except a very small percent) by either placing more children in the lower achieving self-contained classes than belong there, or by not providing a truly full continuum of services they force parents to accept out of district placements. This gets those students off their testing records. I've even experienced, through my parent advocacy group, some parents being told that if their child is "sick" on testing day they shouldn't push them to go.

Interesting. I've heard of this happening but schools still have to show assessments for each of the children in that school. Absenteeism is not an option. If I were you, I'd definitely take this one up with the state. They won't be pleased. Both the statute and the regulations are very clear on this one. All students with disabilities must be assessed either according to regular or alternate standards. All means all. Telling a parent to keep a kid home from school only means that the district now has to provide a date for a makeup exam.

In my instance, the principal balked at putting "access to a computer for longer writing assignments" because she said that the computer couldn't be used in third grade. My son's writing is extremely illegible due to motor delays and motor planning problems. The mechanics of writing are getting in the way of the writing process. I first informed her that the CSE meeting at the beginning of second grade is not the place to emphasize testing needs for the end of third grade and that his overall learning needs were more important than future testing considerations. I also know, for a fact, that while computers can't be used during standardized testing in NY and reading passages can't be read to students, a scribe can be offered during the written portion. Because our schools haven't traditionally offered inclusion (I know that LRE and inclusion aren't the same things) for any of their special needs students the administrators don't seem to now what to do to facilitate testing. I won't even get into the rest of the sometimes illegal and highly inappropriate statements that were made at that meeting. Not all districts/district personnel know the laws or follow them.

I can 'somewhat' see the principal's perspective on this one. Students who receive accommodations in the general classroom that are different from those they receive on a test often don't show the true level of their knowledge on that assessment. I think what might be possible here is for your child(ren) to receive both accommodations (or I might even suggest using an audio tape too) so that they become accustomed to using the computer - a real life skill - and using a scribe. Many states are moving to computer-assisted assessment so that may become an option very soon too.

As to the signing of IEP's, I agree that not all districts have you sign something to indicate your agreement. Some do, and if that's the case and you don't agree with it, don't sign. As you said, if your district doesn't require a signature option then you would have to put your disagreement in writing. In NY we still have status quo (it was removed by IDEA 2004 but put back in by our state legislature), so al I had to do when I disagreed with DS's spring IEP was to request status quo and his current IEP stood until outside evaluations took place and and agreement could be reached.

Wow! Great insight on your particular state's practices. I definitely appreciate you sharing this. Status quo sounds much like the 'stay put' option in the federal statute/regs. While many states don't make it as well-known as NY obviously does, it still exists. I definitely do appreciate this bit of information. You are quite well-informed.

Lastly, when it comes to private school placement, there has been a recent change. While a parent should never place a child in a private school assuming the district absolutely will pay, a recent Supreme Court decision says that a parent doesn't necessarily have to try the program that the district offers first.http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/10/10/new-york-city-loses-special-education-appeal/

I was actually just discussing this ruling with one of the legal professors here at my university. It is definitely showing a different philosophy than the previous Shaeffer case in 2005 (ruling that found that when a parent lost a due process suit, they had to pay the fees associated). We were both somewhat concerned about this ruling as it's still not terribly clear-cut. Our concern was that parents will get the idea that they don't even have to consider the other option (which you haven't implied). In looking at the docket for this particular case, the parents showed clearly that they had carefully considered the options offered in light of the appropriateness for their child. Both of the options also went against previous LRE. My concern is that parents will see the ruling and immediately put their child in private school without documenting that careful consideration piece. I'd be interested in your perspective, from the parent/advocate side as well.

I do want to thank everyone for the kind words and especially Twinsmom for the very enlightening conversation and debate. I do find this stuff interesting and like to hear how other states are applying it well or even not so well. My main area of interest in this law has to do with highly qualified teachers and alternative certification but I do have access to others with more experience in specific areas.

I have received a couple of PMs in regards to the information I posted here and would ask that individuals try to keep to broad topics if you want my input. I'm very leery of offering advice to specific instances simply because I've always recognized that there are often at least 2 sides to every story. Without looking at paperwork, environment, culture, state regs, etc. I don't feel I'm overly qualified to remark on specific practice. Most likely I'll just tell you to contact your local state department or parent center.

Thanks again for all the valuable feedback. Also, for those who like to watch policy, NCLB is up for reauthorization this year. The odds aren't good that it's going to go through in this current congressional session so most likely we'll be seeing it next year. There is a rumor (out of DC) that NCLB and IDEA are going to be, in essence, further aligned. Some are projecting that in the future IDEA could be completely absorbed into NCLB. It's definitely something to keep tabs on.

In my District you are signing that you attending the meeting and who will be present. They have one person allocated to typing the notes as we speak in the meeting. It is considered a DRAFT.And they write on it DRAFT. The notes get typed up and they are sent to me. I read it to make sure there are no errors then it is official. In my old District where I had serious problems my advocate would tape the meeting. When that happens the District has to tape it too! That got harry, I am so glad I am not there!!!! Talk about hair loss!!!

(I recall several parents with whom I used to work telling me that they were going to wallpaper with them. Please don't be those parents.)

Funny you say that! That is exactly what I said in many meetings! I can wallpaper my room with it. I have read the Parents Rights so many times I think I have it memorized it! It is one page both sides. They give it to me before the meeting, during and after!!! I guess you are right though I should not say that!!!:rolleyes1 . Great point!

(I recall several parents with whom I used to work telling me that they were going to wallpaper with them. Please don't be those parents.)

Funny you say that! That is exactly what I said in many meetings! I can wallpaper my room with it. I have read the Parents Rights so many times I think I have it memorized it! It is one page both sides. They give it to me before the meeting, during and after!!! I guess you are right though I should not say that!!!:rolleyes1 . Great point!

Nah, say it all you like. As long as you've read it, that's perfectly fine with me. In these instances, the parents didn't read it nor did they plan on reading it. They just assumed it was legalese that they didn't need to know or that we'd point out specifics to them to protect their rights. That isn't always the case and many assume that parents have read the rights and are knowledgable about them.

One thing I always encouraged parents to do is to:
1. Ask what, if any changes, are there from their prior IEP meeting.
2. If something isn't clear, ask for clarification from the teacher. (This is actually a requirement in most states that teachers ask if parents have any questions about the parental rights.)
3. If this is your first time in an IEP meeting or evaluation, have them explain the contents to you beforehand. Then make sure you actually read them following.

Also, districts aren't required to give a copy of parental rights at every meeting any longer. (I'll have to check the exact citation on this one but I believe it's in the federal regulations.) If there are no changes and/or you don't need/want another copy, you don't have to take multiple copies.

Personally, I think there should be electronic copies offered as an option. The amount of paper wasted on repeatedly handing out those things is astronomical. Plus the electronic copies would be more easily searchable and potentially accessible if parents also have disabilities.

Nah, say it all you like. As long as you've read it, that's perfectly fine with me. In these instances, the parents didn't read it nor did they plan on reading it. They just assumed it was legalese that they didn't need to know or that we'd point out specifics to them to protect their rights. That isn't always the case and many assume that parents have read the rights and are knowledgable about them.

One thing I always encouraged parents to do is to:
1. Ask what, if any changes, are there from their prior IEP meeting.
2. If something isn't clear, ask for clarification from the teacher. (This is actually a requirement in most states that teachers ask if parents have any questions about the parental rights.)
3. If this is your first time in an IEP meeting or evaluation, have them explain the contents to you beforehand. Then make sure you actually read them following.

Also, districts aren't required to give a copy of parental rights at every meeting any longer. (I'll have to check the exact citation on this one but I believe it's in the federal regulations.) If there are no changes and/or you don't need/want another copy, you don't have to take multiple copies.

Personally, I think there should be electronic copies offered as an option. The amount of paper wasted on repeatedly handing out those things is astronomical. Plus the electronic copies would be more easily searchable and potentially accessible if parents also have disabilities.

I agree! Save a tree.... I have a question? How did you get into this, if you are not an Atty, advocate and you do not have a child with SN's? Is this just something that interests you? I am throughly impressed with all the info that you have given all of us..:grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter