Anyone Have A Provo Craft "Sew Crafty" Mini Sewing Machine?

MickeyEars

DIS Veteran
Hi Guys!
I saw it on Ebay and it's so cute but does it actually work? If anyone has one what's your opinion of it? I cannot sew in any stretch of the imagination so I don't want to purchase a regular sewing machine. I would only be using it for scrapbook pages so any thoughts and/or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :wave2:
Carla

I picked it up for like $5 either on sale or with a coupon. I have a full-sized sewing machine, but couldn't imagine setting it up just for scrap pages. LOL

I like it fine for sewing a straight stitch. It took some getting used to - especially for ending. You can't backtack to hold the stitches...it's a weird knot. I wish it had a zig-zag stitch, but for now it's enough for me.

I just bought colored bobbins at CKC...I'd gotten tired of always having to use white. I haven't used any of them yet though.

Oh - and quite a while ago I broke down & bought the power converter...I got tired of looking for all those batteries! :rotfl:

Thanks for the review, I'm glad it actually works!!! I'm not sure if I should buy one of these or maybe spend $30 more and get one that does a zig zag. I really like the looks of a zig zag stitch. I would definitely purchase the adapter and the colored bobbins if I purchase this one.

Thanks again!
Carla

At the time I bought mine, I didn't know there was one with a zigzag stitch. I probably would have skipped it anyway because I have the full-sized machine. However, I found out a couple months ago that the zigzag no longer works. :( Of course I've had the machine since the first month I was married....in 1975! If you can afford it, I'd definitely say get the better one! The zigzag stitch just looks so cool! :teeth:

Yes, I have one. I wish I could say good things about it, but after only a couple small projects it quit working. No matter what I've tried I just can't get the thing to work anymore. So in my opinion, this cute little machine is a big waste of money. If you're really interested in sewing on your pages, go with a better quality machine and stay away from the sew crafty mini. Otherwise go ahead and invest in this machine and you'll have an interesting paperweight in no time. ;)

I have one too, and don't like it.

I have yet to be able to actually use it on a page. The first time I used it, I just punched holes into my paper & ended up ruining my layout. This was my fault, I found out, as I threaded it wrong. But the instructions on how to thread it were too confusing for me (I'm not a sewer by nature).

When my mom came to visit I had her look at it (she is a sewer) and she threaded it correctly for me. But it still acts up on me & I can't get it to keep stitching without missing stiches & such.

So for me, it was a waste of money . But I'll attribute some of that to my poor sewing skills in the first place. :)

Well, as I said it did take some getting used to. I didn't think I'd need to practice on scrap paper as it suggested since I've been sewing since I was 10. While I haven't done more than mending & hemming in recent years, I've made myself a winter coat & men's pants...2 of the more difficult projects you can undertake.

Well, I was wrong! LOL I used it in my first circle journal & the seam wasn't straight & I was saying bad words by the time I finally got the thread tied off. But after practicing a few more times I find it quicker than dragging everything upstairs & opening the big machine, etc.

I bought this machine so that DD could use it to sew paper. I had a heck of a time getting it to work and then found out that you cannot have a speck of glue on the paper to hold it together. That gums up everything and you are in trouble.

I sold it on a thrift sale for like $2.

Maybe I am biased because I can sew, but I think you would be better off buying a real machine for $50 on sale somewhere. You could get several types of stitches on a real machine (straight, zigzag, buttonholes, etc). It might be more expensive, but over the long haul, definitely worth it.

Thanks everyone for your replies, I was afraid it was too good to be true. I think I will just spend a little more a get a real machine.

Thanks!
Carla

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter