Anyone had a surgery, and then a similar one later on? Tips to make it easier?

yoopermom

Come join Bravo by the fire...
12/2016 I had an accident and surgery that was horrible, and recovery was very, very long. Next Wednesday I'm going in for what's basically a revision surgery (to try and make the ankle better), but the recovery is going to be similar, and I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around it. I know it's for the best, I want to have improved mobility, but wish I didn't know what was coming :(. (The one good part is that I was able to cook and clean in advance, oh boy!)

Anyone else gone through multiple surgeries, and have any mental tricks/advice to give?

TIA!
Terri

No advice but I'll very carefully give you a gentle :hug: that you're feeling better soon. If you feel like posting I'll be around to shoot the breeze. All the best!:)

Yes. I had a lumpectomy on my right breast but the pathology cane back that the margins were too small and they had to go back and take out more. I was pretty focused since the two surgeries were in the same month even though I had already healed from the first one. It was all a whirl for me.

I think the time between your two surgeries gives you more time to worry and remember. I guess my only piece of advise is to try to remember what went right and what helped you heal and make sure you have those things setbupnfor your recovery.

{{hugs}}

I've had two spine surgeries. One in 2010 and a repeat of the same surgery in 2014. I think the second went so good because I knew how much better I was going to feel after the fix (and to be honest I totally nailed the recovery on the first surgery so I knew I could do it again even though I was laid up for 8 weeks).

The important thing for recovery is to follow your surgeons post op instructions TO THE LETTER. Don't be a hero. Do what your told LOL. I was told no bending, lifting or twisting for 6-8 weeks (I went the full 8 to be safe), and no picking up anything over 10lbs for 8 weeks. I did my PT religiously. I dropped my car keys one day and they sat on the floor all day until someone came along who I could ask to pick them up...and it meant I couldn't go where I needed to go.

I would do the surgery a 3rd time in a heart beat if I had to or could (I'm told they typically won't do it 3 times. I would be forced to go for a fusion with plates).

Jennasis, you are SO brave, I have back surgery coming down the pike "eventually", and I can't even imagine!

And I have one of "those" husbands who will be sure that I follow the instructions to the letter, because it's the second time in two years he's had to help me recover! (Joke:last time the doctor wanted me to minimize caffeine, so before DH left for work, he would bring in one diet coke from the garage frig and put it in the house frig, and it was my big treat for while he was gone. One day he forgot it, god forbid, and I actually called the neighbor and begged him to come over and get it for me, since I couldn't get down the steps into the garage!)

Robinb, how very, very scary for you. Mine is only an orthopedic thing, not cancer or stroke or something so much more serious. Not going to be any fun, but unlikely to be life threatening. I hope you are all well now.

Terri

I've had similar surgeries a couple of years apart.

I think the one thing I took away from this was despite the fact that I'd already done this before - successfully - the recovery period was different both times. I expected to bounce back as quickly the second time as I'd done the first (and that was even a more invasive procedure), but I didn't. That doesn't mean went anything went wrong. It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with you. t just means sometimes your body reacts differently to things. I was just frustrated because I'd expected the exact same recovery process, and in retrospect, I wish I'd realized that each surgery is unique.

Just be gentle on yourself and do not expect the exact same results/speed of recover for the second time. You may surprise yourself and things are even better the second time! But just in case, give your body and mind the time they need to heal, just as if this were the first time you'd had this surgery.

Hope it goes really well for you!!

I had a large abdominal surgery and two incision revisions within 9 months. It was frustrating because I was in a miserable pain and I really didn't see any relief in site. OMG did the surgeon ever button up that incision for good. It hurt 100 times worse than the original surgery which had me in the hospital for 14 days, but once I healed it truly felt like a miracle because I never thought I'd feel almost "normal" again.

My surgeries weren't similar, but I had a horrible reaction to the anesthesia when I had my thyroid removed. I woke up from surgery with what felt like a drunken hangover x1000! I had a headache and threw up off and on for about 24 hours, and had to stay in the hospital an extra night.

So two years later when I had my sinus surgery, I made sure to let them know about my experience. I had the surgeries at the same hospital, so they were easily able to pull up what exactly was administered and how much, and were able to give me something else. Let me tell you, whatever they gave the second time around was so much better. I'm so glad that I made a point of it! So try and remember what was unpleasant and what you would change about the first surgery, and discuss with your doctors.

Good luck and feel better soon!!

Currently recovering from abdominal surgery five years after surgery in the same area: two separate surgeries but they went in through the old incision.

Honestly, the knowledge of what was coming was the best preparation. I knew what the limitations were, how to deal with them. I wasn’t apprehensive but armed with knowledge of what I would have issues with and ways to combat those problems.

I maintained my healthy habits up until the day of surgery and haven’t allowed my downtime to snowball. I know it’s going to be painful but I’m still moving!

I take care of a lot of patients that have to have a re-op. I agree with each surgery is unique.

If the first surgery was as the result of an accident, you're already in much better shape going into this one! Think of it that way. It's hard to pinpoint exactly the body's stress reaction, but it does affect how we are, and react, when we are in recovery. So going into this one you should think of how much better a place you are already in.

I'd also recommend you pick up a copy of The Wellness Book and start to read it. There will be a lot in there that will help you going into surgery and in recovery.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/th...MI8Zjkmsm82QIVT1cNCh1XPQk9EAQYAiABEgLcGfD_BwE

Good luck! :flower3: We'll be here when you're bored at home!

I had knee replacement surgery and six months later I had the other knee done. The second one was a breeze compared to the first. I knew what to do and what to expect.

Just offering well wishes and hugs....
I had surgery on one foot, and it is giving me a lot of pain again.
I can see how you feel.

I've had two spine surgeries. One in 2010 and a repeat of the same surgery in 2014. I think the second went so good because I knew how much better I was going to feel after the fix (and to be honest I totally nailed the recovery on the first surgery so I knew I could do it again even though I was laid up for 8 weeks).

The important thing for recovery is to follow your surgeons post op instructions TO THE LETTER. Don't be a hero. Do what your told LOL. I was told no bending, lifting or twisting for 6-8 weeks (I went the full 8 to be safe), and no picking up anything over 10lbs for 8 weeks. I did my PT religiously. I dropped my car keys one day and they sat on the floor all day until someone came along who I could ask to pick them up...and it meant I couldn't go where I needed to go.

I would do the surgery a 3rd time in a heart beat if I had to or could (I'm told they typically won't do it 3 times. I would be forced to go for a fusion with plates).

This! I had 2 hip replacements last year, 6 months apart. I had read so many stories of people dislocating the new hip that I was so scared before the first surgery but after I came home and the PT who came out put me at ease and showed me how to pick up things from the floor (of course this was my hip and not my back which would be different). He showed me so many ways of doing things and what not to do. Off work for 5 weeks but 6 months later I had the other hip done and recovery was so much quicker and was back at work in 3 weeks.
Both surgeries were so worth it and since I only have 2 hips, hopefully I won't ever have to repeat it, lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter