Anyone go out to shop on Black Friday?

DDs washer crashed & burned this week so we went to a big box store on Friday to get her a new machine. It was busy but not overwhelming. Even with the reduced crowd it was a bit too close for comfort for me, I couldn't wait to get out of there. If not for the immediate need for a washing machine I would not have gone anywhere on Friday.

We didn't go into any stores (we only do curbside pick-up for safety reasons), but we did go out for a drive in the afternoon and DS wanted to drive by our local shopping center. We saw long lines outside of Ross and Bath and Body Works of folks waiting to get in. No line outside of Target, although they did have a security guard at the door checking for masks. Wal-Mart looked like a mess, but it's always a mess.

Yesterday the mayor of Rotterdam, our 2nd largest city, ordered all the shops to close early. And today the same. It was so busy.

I am avoiding the city center this weekend. This is the last weekend for our holiday on the 5th of December. The weekend before the 5th is traditionally one of the busiest times of the uear for shopping, it became worse after Dutch shop owners started to adopt Black Friday as an excuse for extra sales.

Meanwhile our daily figures still go up and down like a yo-yo.

I did. It was pointless. All the deals were available early, no special deals for the day. No crowds at all. I picked up a couple things. At Walmart, I got... toilet paper, trash bags, Coke, and a pair of blue jeans. Lol. I bought an Apple Watch and a soundbar at Target from my phone at the gas station parking lot, picked it up a little later. Went to Lowe’s and had enough, so we went to IHOP.

Normally we are at my parents house or with the in laws at the beach, so my wife and I use it like a date night of sorts. It’s fun. This year wasn’t.

DDs washer crashed & burned this week so we went to a big box store on Friday to get her a new machine. It was busy but not overwhelming. Even with the reduced crowd it was a bit too close for comfort for me, I couldn't wait to get out of there. If not for the immediate need for a washing machine I would not have gone anywhere on Friday.

Coincidently Ron, possibly just the week washers go to heck, but my sister and BIL had to go out this week and get a washer also but they went Tuesday.

Oh and to answer Kittyblue's question....no I didn't venture out but then I usually don't anyway on Black Fridays.

For the first time in many years we sat at home watching tv instead. We did do a little online shopping though. Today we hit REI for a few Christmas gifts.

I only went to one store, JC Penney's and that was because I had to return a sweater, that I bought weeks ago, my stepmom was going so I went with her. The cashiers were extremely slow and the line was long. I've bought nearly all my Christmas gifts, I only lack food for 2 gift baskets and that will be bought at the grocery store a week before Christmas.

Not this year. I am usually a big Black Friday shopper, but there was nothing worth being around people for in any of the ads this year. We ordered some things online, but the only place I went yesterday was the grocery.

Why on the bolded?? I thought we were suppose to all be playing it very safe and most staying at home. Not judging but just saying.......

When I said barely, I really meant like 3. At a store that usually has hundreds shoppers waiting hours to get into on Black Friday. I assume all stores have a capacity limit and have been sanitized. I go grocery shopping every week, wear a mask and gloves, work at home. Im not going to be a prisoner. There is safe, then there is scared.

I also know many who went months without working and have other priorities before shopping. 2020 is just sad in general.

Last edited:
Anyone go out to shop on Black Friday?

Not on your life. In fact, we're delaying our "normal" every other Tuesday grocery shopping (next Tuesday) until Thursday, to allow all those "must go out and mingle for Thanksgiving/shopping" people to be sick and (hopefully) in quarantine and not out and about.

We went to Kohls to get some big and tall shirts for DH. There were more people than a quiet day but not too many. We walked righ/ up to the register.

I tried to go to Michaels but there was a long line to check out and it looked crowded. It wasn't worth it so I went home and shopped online instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter