• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone else think Frozen is overrated?

andrews_dad

DIS Veteran
Just bought and watched for first time. Based on the hype I thought this was a Toy Story or Toy Story 2-level megahit. Frozen was OK, but I would put it near the middle of my list for Disney movies. I even think Tangled was better. Mermaid. Beast. First two Toy Stories. Cinderella. Cars. Snow White. All better than this one IMO.

And why must Disney kill parents in every darn movie??????????

I love Frozen!

I don't like either of the Toy Story movies though and I didn't care for Tangled.

I guess it's about making a connection with a movie somehow. Apparently a lot of people made a connection with Frozen. Maybe it's the sister bond. :goodvibes

I do think it was overall very well done. Def better than TS 3, but not 1 or 2. Better pacing than Tangled. One of the better overall soundtracks.
Let's revisit in 5 years

I'll second that. I DID really like it. But "the best animated feature of all time"? No. I loved Tangled, its one of my favs and better than frozen I thought. Like I said, I did like it, but not even in my top 10. Definitely not worth the hype.

I am also a "Frostbiter" and have gone from a "meh" to a "really?" to a "whf do these people think it's great - who are these people " to a final "I HATE this movie". Check out honest trailers on YouTube.

Frostbiter and proud of it!

To me, Tangled is the better of the two films, both storywise and musically.

I actually love Frozen. I like how Disney made the plot into sisterly love, although I don't mind Disney's romantic love I thought it was refreshing and different to see some variety. I like Tangled as well, because Rapunzel and Flynn Rider are really good three dimensional characters.

You're not alone.

I really wanted to like Frozen. It had some good story ideas and nice characters. The music is very good. But the actual plot felt a little hollow to me.

There was so little time given to Anna and Elsa's relationship that the ending didn't ring true to me. Why did Anna never learn about what the trolls did? I felt addressing that would've made the film stronger.

Everyone likes different things. My favorite Disney movies are "Peter Pan" and "Lady and the Leash" (as my four year old calls it) with a nod to "Robin Hood". I think Frozen is pretty good and my kids and dh all like it, but since not everyone likes the same things, OP is not alone for sure.

I did enjoy Frozen A LOT. I thought it was beautiful and I thought the songs were great. But I think Tangled had a better story and was more fun.

Of course it's over-rated - because it's new! But the fact is the market was ready for another take on the standard Disney story beats, and this just happened to rock up at the right time. There's nothing that remarkable about it as a story, it's just that most of the current generation of Disney Kids hadn't had their very own movie that did for them what the the numerous other versions of this movie did for their parents.

There'll be another copy of it in 15 years, and our kids will be wondering out loud what's so amazing about that, while their kids are enchanted...

Penny Pincher said:
Of course it's over-rated - because it's new! But the fact is the market was ready for another take on the standard Disney story beats, and this just happened to rock up at the right time. There's nothing that remarkable about it as a story, it's just that most of the current generation of Disney Kids hadn't had their very own movie that did for them what the the numerous other versions of this movie did for their parents.

There'll be another copy of it in 15 years, and our kids will be wondering out loud what's so amazing about that, while their kids are enchanted...

Standard Disney story? Did you see Frozen? Disney is always having the prince withhold his kiss turning evil, and they always skip having a villain, and they always define true love as a sister's sacrifice. Same old Disney. 15 years from now it will be a classic and will already have set a record in re-release.

I like Frozen... Best movie ever? No. But it's enjoyable. And it's especially enjoyable for kids, who don't think as hard about it as the adults do. They just like the singing, and the magic, and the snow man, etc.

I will say this, though: Prepare for a cringe-worthy direct-to-DVD sequel!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter