Anyone else like me - parking fee

Sorry, I wasn’t clear - I think the policy itself is a shame.
Yeah, I personally don't think any hotel anywhere should be allowed to charge for parking. Give a discount off the room for those that don't bring a car if you want, but the posted price should include all taxes and fees, including parking for the appropriate number of vehicles for the number of people in the room.

Ok, rant over.

Yeah, I personally don't think any hotel anywhere should be allowed to charge for parking. Give a discount off the room for those that don't bring a car if you want, but the posted price should include all taxes and fees, including parking for the appropriate number of vehicles for the number of people in the room.

Ok, rant over.

But if they’re going to charge, everyone should pay, disabled or not.

But if they’re going to charge, everyone should pay, disabled or not.
No, they have to make it free for disabled because they don't have enough infrastructure to handle that many ecvs and wheelchairs on their transportation system and making the parking free for them reduces the load.

DCV members don't pay when staying on points at any resort or via any methods at DVC resorts because it is part of their contract

No, they have to make it free for disabled because they don't have enough infrastructure to handle that many ecvs and wheelchairs on their transportation system and making the parking free for them reduces the load.

DCV members don't pay when staying on points at any resort or via any methods at DVC resorts because it is part of their contract

Not everyone with a handicap placard is in a wheelchair or ECV.

They don’t have to make it free for the disabled, they choose to make it free, for some reason.

There could also be some legal issues with charging handicapped people to use the handicapped parking required by State Law and the Federal ADA.

Not everyone with a handicap placard is in a wheelchair or ECV.

They don’t have to make it free for the disabled, they choose to make it free, for some reason.
Yes, legally they don't have to make it free (at least from a federal standpoint, not sure about Florida laws), but from an operational standpoint they do in order to make everything work properly for everyone.

And granted not everyone with a placard has a wheelchair or ecv, but it is the easiest way to figure it out. I still say no one should get charged a fee for parking, but I do understand why they would make it free for disabled guests.

Sorry if my earlier wording impkied they had to do it from a legal standpoint, that wasn't my point. My point was the infrastructure couldn't handle them charging disabled for parking at this point in time.

Federal ADA does not address parking charges. It does not appear that Disney is required by any state or local law to provide free parking for disabled placards
http://www.cityoforlando.net/parking/disabled-parking/
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sfl-mtblog-2008-01-what_are_the_rules_for_handica-story.html
but that they choose to do so.

Remember that Disney might not be governed by Orlando ordinances when it comes to parking; they are located squarely within the Reedy Creek District, which is a municipality of their own making...

And FWIW, I believe that they shouldn't charge for *any* parking - this is a blatant money grab on their part. The "infrastructure" that both requires and supports those parking lots (each individual Resort) have long since been amortized from an accounting perspective (the two possible exceptions being POP and AoA). *IF* (and it's a BIG "if") they need more transportation bandwidth, that should be alleviated in part by the completion of Disney's Folly, er, the new gondola system. Additionally, they prove every year, at multiple points that they have the ability and capacity to handle park-busting crowds from a transportation standpoint. (see: July 4th, Labor Day weekend, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years Eve, etc.) Is it perfect? No. Do people have to wait sometimes? Yes. But, it's *free* internal transportation, and instead of appreciating the fact that they can literally get from one side of the property to the other without so much as lifting a finger, Guests gripe about the fact that they had to wait for their free transportation to arrive.

I suppose at this point, we should be grateful that we aren't paying for the buses, boats and Monorails... Oh wait... we are.

They are using an excuse ("Everyone else does it!") that parents have seen through for years - just because "everyone else is doing it" doesn't mean you should either.

Kind of a disincentive for folks who use a car to stay on property at all.
Yes, but I also think their though is maybe they will have fewer people that might rent a car and instead use Magical Express, which will keep them on property and spending even more money than the parking fees would generate. Still a cash grab either way, but I do tend to wonder if that is the case.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter