Anyone else job-hunting?

Artygal90

DIS Veteran
Hi Budget Board!

I had an idea to start a thread dedicated to anyone out there who is currently searching for a new job, whether they're just out of school, unemployed, or just looking for a change. After all, for most of us who haven't won the lottery yet, our Disney trip budgets depend on our income from our day jobs!*

My husband pointed out that I've been procrastinating on this whole job search thing, and that we can't afford to take all the trips we'd like to take if I don't get my butt in gear soon. I'm sure there are lots of people out there also struggling to stay motivated and wishing they had people to talk to about the search. So I was thinking we could chat about the ups and downs of the process here and also keep each other accountable! I'll start:

Hi! I'm Artygal90! As my username suggests, up until recently I was employed full-time at my dream job at a performing arts organization. After the third or fourth department-wide furlough in less than two years (usually 1 week at minimum, although this one is going on 2 months), I've decided that I don't want to return whenever they call the people from my department back to work. I'm currently juggling a couple part-time jobs babysitting and working at a friend's store, but I am currently looking for an exciting full-time job in a totally new field. No idea what field exactly yet, which is making writing a new resume and cover letter difficult, but maybe some other people have ideas they'd like to share?

Who else is out there? What's going well for you? What's going poorly? Let's chat!

*(I looked on the Community Board, and it didn't seem like this thread would fit in there. But mods, I understand if you want to move it).

Hi @Artygal90, I also work for a performing arts organization (local symphony orchestra). I am not looking for a job, but our son is doing so. He just graduated with a fine arts degree in gaming & animation. The two main challenges he's facing are: 1. most employers want 2-5 years experience and 2. he doesn't want to live in California. That eliminates probably 50% of his options.

This is a budget issue for us because eventually we will need to help him move and get set up in a new location. But for now, he's applying to a lot of places and I'm praying a lot. :)

I'm looking as well. Lost my job about a year ago at a performing arts non-profit and then started doing corporate travel full time. I like my job but I want to get back into what I was built to do. Goal is to move into something "steady" part-time and focus my attention on my production company.

If you are looking at changing fields start by making a list of things that you are already good at that are transferable such as budgeting, organizing, fundraising, etc. Then come up with a clear example for each item. I hire lots of people with no experience in my field but if you can show me that you are a problem solver, independent and good communicator I can teach you the other stuff. Even volunteer work can be powerful on a resume. The number one thing though is to have your resume proofread by multiple people. If a resume comes across my desk with misspelling then it automatically gets chucked in the trash.

Example:
Six-year member of the junior league managing the annual gala that was attended by over 400 patrons that generated over $25,000 in funds for our charity. During my tenure we increased donations by 8%.

Another point to keep in mind is that online applications are one of the least effective ways to get a job. You need to be out networking and talking to people. HR bots are combing through online resumes and if you don't' match an exact list of words you never even make it to human eyes.

No. And thinking about it, being 2 years from retirement, even if I lost my job today, I don't think I will ever be job hunting every again. Will just tighten my belt and live off savings until my Social Security kicks in. Got my SS statement in the mail yesterday. My estimated benefit is 89% of my current take home pay. Once my minimum mandatory 401k and IRA withdrawals kick in, I'll actually be making 50% more. Now I just have to hope my health holds up.

I'm a stay at home mom looking for something I can do on the weekends both to supplement on travel budget and keep me sane! I know in reality it'll probably end up being retail, but I do have a degree in Psychology so maybe I can find something else!

I think this is a good spot for it .There's plenty budget related to jobs and a lot of helpful people here.

I did get the rip to use the free month sign up on LinkedIn to apply for jobs because it really does get you higher on the list and helps .I would wait until you had one you wanted to apply for before signing up so you don't use the free trial and not apply.

I also like indeed for searching becauae it searches a lot of sites for you.

Hi @Artygal90, I also work for a performing arts organization (local symphony orchestra). I am not looking for a job, but our son is doing so. He just graduated with a fine arts degree in gaming & animation. The two main challenges he's facing are: 1. most employers want 2-5 years experience and 2. he doesn't want to live in California. That eliminates probably 50% of his options.

This is a budget issue for us because eventually we will need to help him move and get set up in a new location. But for now, he's applying to a lot of places and I'm praying a lot. :)

Honestly, don't pay attention to the experience part. What's the worst they can say? No?

I'm currently looking out-of-state for better. I'm in a higher cost of living area, and am being priced out. I've got a degree, but the teaching world left me behind in 2010. Since then I've been the go-to guy in the warehouse world that can't get off the bottom. I'm that guy that's too good at what they do, that they don't want to lose my production numbers to let me grow and expand my own horizons, aka, I'd love to be a supervisor, but can't get there and it's not for lack of trying.

The biggest problem I'm having is getting noticed and hearing from places. I've heard from just a couple, but nothing has had any results yet. I'm trying all the little tips and tricks I can find, but outside of being a local to those areas, it's tough.

I really could have used this thread a few weeks back when I was feeling very depressed over being unemployed. Thank you for starting it!!!

We moved from CT to NC to make our life better, more affordable. I knew I wouldn't have a job for a while (DH was able to transfer) but it took a lot longer than I thought it would. It's always been fairly easy for me to find work thankfully. I worked as a Medical Assistant for 9 years in 3 different practices. Right before I left I was being offered office manager of my practice but I had to decline because Connecticut was getting too expensive and we weren't getting anywhere even with raises every year. We were moving to North Carolina and nothing was going to keep us there. Unless we won the lottery...haha

It took me almost 3 months to find work. I finally had to break down and go through a temp service, I was optimistic and started right away with a large Pain Management clinic. It was very different work than what I was used to which was clinical, talking with patients most of the day and at my desk in between. Now I was sitting at a desk staring at a computer all day. It wasn't right for me and I knew it but I stuck it out for 8 weeks. Finally on a Friday I stopped by to get my check at the agency and told the manager there I could not work there anymore. It wasn't simply the work but how the office was run. For such a large place they did not have but 2-3 people answering phones and that left me dealing with things that had nothing to do with my job functions. I was falling behind in the work because of things the last person didn't finish and I had 1 day of training and was thrown to the wolves.

Sorry this is so long...but anyway. So it's been 1 month since I left but I got an offer from USPS for mail carrier and am awaiting an email with my start date as I just signed for background and performed the drug screen.

I wanted people to know...don't give up!! It is harder now than it was for me 4 years ago (was between jobs for 2 months) but every job I've gotten in the last 7 years has been from an online posting. Believe it or not in those 7 years I have not used networking or had a friend refer me. Especially now being in a state where I know noone, networking is nonexistent. So I am proof, it can be done. Just keep revamping your resume, have friends look it over and make sure you tailor all your cover letters to what it seems they are looking for in the job posting.

The reason I was unable to find work in my field is that medical assistants in NC have far more responsibility than up north. In CT I was not able to give injections, start IV's, do allergy testing or draw blood. In NC all these things are expected and from what I saw, they aren't paid nearly as much as what I made in CT. I did know some of this going in but thought I could find an administrative role and be able to help the clinical side when needed.

Sounds like he also has a BFA? I hear the gaming industry is a tough nut to crack. I've also heard that some of those experience requirements are sometimes more "nice to haves" and less 100% required for every job, and that the more important thing is if you can actually do the work, or learn the work without too much training. Fingers crossed for your son!

I really could have used this thread a few weeks back when I was feeling very depressed over being unemployed. Thank you for starting it!!!

...Believe it or not in those 7 years I have not used networking or had a friend refer me. Especially now being in a state where I know noone, networking is nonexistent. So I am proof, it can be done. Just keep revamping your resume, have friends look it over and make sure you tailor all your cover letters to what it seems they are looking for in the job posting.

That is so interesting to me that you've been able to find work without networking or friends' references! I was thinking about it and almost all my jobs have been because I knew someone who knew someone else who needed work and pointed me in the right direction. Since I'm trying to change careers, the normal industry contacts I've made in the past 6 years can't help me find this next job. Glad to hear applying online has worked out for you!

Did you leave teaching? Just curios as an education degree can have other possibilities.

No, my degree is in theatre design and production - basically, making all the backstage stuff happen. My focus is/was in costume technology - so taking the drawing a designer creates and making it a reality. I sometimes wish I had an ed degree though as the school districts around me are constantly advertising that they'll hire anyone with a degree and a pulse for a teaching job!

That is so interesting to me that you've been able to find work without networking or friends' references! I was thinking about it and almost all my jobs have been because I knew someone who knew someone else who needed work and pointed me in the right direction. Since I'm trying to change careers, the normal industry contacts I've made in the past 6 years can't help me find this next job. Glad to hear applying online has worked out for you!

When I look back at all the jobs I've held in my life (and it's MANY jobs lol, worn many hats--18 to be exact) I only had 4 jobs that I got due to networking or a family connection. Even when I first moved to CT, within 1 week I drove to the mall and literally wound up with a job when I walked out of the 1st store I went into. No joke, of course that was 14 yrs ago and that would never happen now with every job posting having to be applied for online. Idk maybe it's just something I'm good at besides regular job skills. So I guess so much of it is knowing how to "sell" yourself and knowing your worth.

Also, think out of the box!...for all these months I kept concentrating on a Medical position thinking somethings gotta give. I never would have thought I would possibly be working for USPS but am very happy to have found this opportunity.

Last edited:
No, my degree is in theatre design and production - basically, making all the backstage stuff happen. My focus is/was in costume technology - so taking the drawing a designer creates and making it a reality. I sometimes wish I had an ed degree though as the school districts around me are constantly advertising that they'll hire anyone with a degree and a pulse for a teaching job!
Have you considered getting a sub teaching certificate? It's a part time job but affords you the ability to work when you're available and continue your search for the "perfect job".

Did you leave teaching? Just curios as an education degree can have other possibilities.

Yes, after being a new teacher in the economic downtown in the late 2000's in an "elective" field (music), I faced being cut every year. Burned me out quick.

All you posters with artistic experience: if you can paint and instruct, look into paintnite.com.

within 1 week I drove to the mall and literally wound up with a job when I walked out of the 1st store I went into. No joke, of course that was 14 yrs ago and that would never happen now with every job posting having to be applied for online.

i don't know. Last time I was in Target, they had a computer application kiosk :)

Has he tried doing any freelance work to boost his experience? It would give him some flexibility in his schedule to attend other job interviews etc.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter