Anyone drive from Texas to Disney World?

Welcome MomtoBJSF!

What area of Texas do you live? We're way down south, so it takes us forever to get out of Texas! We stayed at a Red Roof Inn this past November on our way but I can't recall what city we stopped at, I'll have to check, but it was really clean and very affordable.

Will this be the first big road trip with all three? We've been driving to WDW for many years and have now taken 3 trips there with DD at 22 months, 2 1/2 years, and the latest trip was November for her 3rd bday. I'm happy to share some tips and tricks I've picked up from the boards and/or learned by trial and error!

We drove nonstop both directions on our trip in November. The drive down took longer, think mainly because we left at 2AM so for the first part of trip DW was real particular where she wanted to stop for restroom breaks and they didn't always line up with gas stops. Plus we hit a wreck outside of Gainesville where it took us 45 min to go 5 miles. Overall not bad, got to Orlando and stayed offsite first nite at a Best Western, then got up early and headed to pop next morning and made rope drop at Epcot

Good to see this thread revived. We are still planning on driving, but we are going in January 2012 instead of November 2012. I was thinking about getting AAA since we have never driven more than 2 hours from our house without my fil (a retired mechanic) with us. We just tend to take vacations with his parents, but I don't think they are going on this one. My fil is having health issues and they won't make plans that far out right now.

My DH thinks I'm paranoid, but I think we need a "omg it actually snowed and we can't make it home fund" in case we need to spend a night or two on the road coming home because of bad weather.

Good to see this thread revived. We are still planning on driving, but we are going in January 2012 instead of November 2012. I was thinking about getting AAA since we have never driven more than 2 hours from our house without my fil (a retired mechanic) with us. We just tend to take vacations with his parents, but I don't think they are going on this one. My fil is having health issues and they won't make plans that far out right now.

My DH thinks I'm paranoid, but I think we need a "omg it actually snowed and we can't make it home fund" in case we need to spend a night or two on the road coming home because of bad weather.

I keep getting mailings from AAA and trying to decide if it's something I want to do. We usually rent a car so we don't have to worry about mechanical issues, plus it keeps the miles off of our car.

I keep getting mailings from AAA and trying to decide if it's something I want to do. We usually rent a car so we don't have to worry about mechanical issues, plus it keeps the miles off of our car.

I had thought about that, but my DH doesn't believe in having credit cards. The only one we have is a checking card that is attached to our checking account. I'm pretty sure the only way we can rent a car with that, is when we fly. At least that's what I remember being told.

Welcome MomtoBJSF!

What area of Texas do you live? We're way down south, so it takes us forever to get out of Texas! We stayed at a Red Roof Inn this past November on our way but I can't recall what city we stopped at, I'll have to check, but it was really clean and very affordable.

Will this be the first big road trip with all three? We've been driving to WDW for many years and have now taken 3 trips there with DD at 22 months, 2 1/2 years, and the latest trip was November for her 3rd bday. I'm happy to share some tips and tricks I've picked up from the boards and/or learned by trial and error!

Yes this will be our first big road trip with them :scared1:, so I'm a little worried. I would really appreciate all the tips and tricks you can give. But all in all we are looking forward to it, we are hoping to do this evry year with them:banana:

We have driven about 9 times I think, from Texarkana. I think my dad usually went around 70-90 (he swears it never went 90 but my phone said differently). I don't remember the route we took since we haven't driven in a long time.

What is this stopping nonsense you speak of? :confused3 We only pull over for gas ;). I wish they could mid-drive-refuel you, like with airplanes ;).

Ooo cool thread!

We drove to Disneyland last year and had a blast and thought we'd drive to Orlando this time. One of the biggest reasons is convenience - having a car when I need one and not having to drag car seats and strollers on crowded airplanes. Not to mention waiting around airport lobbies with an anxious 2 year old. That Orlando airport is so tiny and dirty compared to DFW. :P

We have made the California trip also. That was before we became Disney fanatics and now go to Florida every year :cool1:. Think we are doing a September trip this year and will drive again. I might have enough reward points earned thru surveys to get a free room at like a Hampton Inn. Thinking about leaving early Friday, driving to at least Tallahassee and stopping. Can then get up early and hopefully be at Disney World by 10 AM

We've driven to WDW for every trip, straight through and almost every time overnight. We love it. With the stops (one to pick up my aunt and the usual ones for food, gas, and bathroom breaks), it usually takes about 16 hours from our home (we live in a small town north of Beaumont).

We'll be driving to WDW on our upcoming June trip from the DFW area. The plan is to drive out as soon as the DSs get out of school June 1 and drive as far as we can. Then spend the night of June 2 in Gulf Shores, AL. I went there several times as a kid, and want to take the DS there. Then we'll get up on the 3rd and drive to Orlando and get a cheap hotel near WDW. The next day when the DSs will think we're driving the rest of the to Cocoa Beach, we'll surprise them with checking into the Pop Century. After WDW, we'll spend a couple of days at Cocoa Beach before coming home.

I recently put a new app on my iPhone that I hope helps on the drive. It's called Road Ninja. It's suppose to track your location and let you know what is coming up at the next exits.

I have a few question this is me and my family 1 st long trip from dallas to DW flordia we are taking are own car ( im worried about that never drove it futher then OK) but we are leaving at 3pm and trying to find the best route and fastest and mainly freeway .. Yes I am scared to travel off the freeway lol . Any suggestions

I have a few question this is me and my family 1 st long trip from dallas to DW flordia we are taking are own car ( im worried about that never drove it futher then OK) but we are leaving at 3pm and trying to find the best route and fastest and mainly freeway .. Yes I am scared to travel off the freeway lol . Any suggestions

This will be our first time driving to WDW from Justin. The plan right now is to go 20 to Shreveport, then 49 to Alexandria and Lafayette, then 10 to Baton Rouge and Mobile andTallahassee, then 75 south, and then I think the last is on I-4. Then again, that may change, so we can see more stuff on the way there. Not really sure yet.

This will be our first time driving to WDW from Justin. The plan right now is to go 20 to Shreveport, then 49 to Alexandria and Lafayette, then 10 to Baton Rouge and Mobile andTallahassee, then 75 south, and then I think the last is on I-4. Then again, that may change, so we can see more stuff on the way there. Not really sure yet.

We drove from Plano back in May and took that same route. It was a really long drive, but we had fun with it. We left around 5pm, and pulled into Orlando around 11am - noon Orlando time the next day. Since we were driving at night, the little one slept most of the way there, and we switched out regularly. Stopped for fuel and bathroom breaks, hit a few drive thru's (and of course Krispy Kreme in LA).

If you use Google maps to get from Dallas to Orlando, the first set of directions it gives you go through Jackson Mississippi. If I remember correctly, I was told a few posts back that while there is more to see along this route, part of it goes through small towns and will not be at highway speeds.

Whichever route you choose, have a good trip, drive safe, and enjoy your time at DW.

Even though we are not from TX, we will be driving from TX to Disney this June. This will be our second trip driving from TX to WDW on our triangle trip and one triangle trip where we drove from FL to TX. We have grandkids in TX and FL and it is much easier to take a month or so and drive from IL to TX to FL and back to IL. The first year we drove to FL first, stopping at Disney on the way to see the FL grandkids, then stopping at Disney on the way to see the TX grandkids before heading home. We decided that it was much better to go to TX first, stop at Disney on our way to visit the FL grandkids, and then end our trip with a visit to Disney, sort of a consolation prize after leaving the grandkids (it seems harder and harder to do each visit). We will be leaving TX from the Houston area as two of our daughters have settled in that area.

Thank you yeah I noticed that google maps wants to take me through Jackson .. So this route is mainly freewat correct :) Thank you

It looks like it.

Thanks we are going to drive non-stop except for gas and bathroom breaks . Wondering has anyone drove non-stop if so how long did it take you to drive. I was thinking leaving dallas at 4pm after school and heading out .Hopeing to fill up 2-3 times :)

We don't drive from Texas per se but we aren't far away from you. :rolleyes1

We generally take US 80 to I-20 to Shreveport and then cut diagonally through Mississippi then over to I-10. We then go to 75 south.

We have also gone through Dallas to Terrell to Louisiana and then south through I-49? to I-12 which then turns to I-10.

Thanks we are going to drive non-stop except for gas and bathroom breaks . Wondering has anyone drove non-stop if so how long did it take you to drive. I was thinking leaving dallas at 4pm after school and heading out .Hopeing to fill up 2-3 times :)

np. We are planning on leaving on a Friday, checking into a hotel near WDW on Sunday, and then checking into the Pop Century on Monday. We are going to take our time getting there. We were going to stop and spend the night in Orange Beach, AL, but I am starting to rethink that. I am thinking more like just taking our time so we can see other stuff on the way there. Our DSs get out of school on June 1, and get out at 11:30. Our plan is as soon as they get off the bus, have them put their stuff up, go to the bathroom, and then leave. I'm a SaHM, so I'll have the minivan totally packed by the time they get home. Honestly, I would just have them skip the day, but they are having exams that day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter