Anybody have birds and dogs?

Octoberbride03

<font color=660000>I think Tweetie done gone Cucko
I'm currently looking at getting a dog. Will be likely be a few months down the road since we have some stuff to do in the house first. But we have a cockatiel that we will NOT be giving up.

Our Rally is tempermental and not terribly friendly. But i want a dog who will at least not pester him too much. he does stick to his cage area though he can come and go as he pleases as long as we're in the house.

So I'm hoping to find a breed that will do well with him. He has a nice new sturdy cage so he's not easily tippable or anything.

And how do rescues look at that kind of thing. Ideally, I'd like to do a rescue group if possible. But we'll look at other options too.

TIA

A friend of mine has three dogs and a bird. One of her dogs was from the ASPCA. The dogs pretty much ignore the bord, and the bird spends a few nights a week hanging out on my friend's shoulder, out of his cage.

The family also has a ton of fish, a mouse, and three rats. Last I heard, they were also considering a rabbit.

Wow, sounds like a petting zoo. Good to know about the dogs. Don't know if i can get 1 that would ignore Rally though. Its not a big house.

I have a black lab, a cockapoo and a chihuahua. And I have 8 chickens. They all do fine together. The lab is only a year old and it took some training when she was young but she pretty much ignores the chickens unless they leave her "presents" like poo and eggs :eek:
Once in a great while the chihuahua will chase one of the birds but all in all it's a pretty peaceful mix.

I have a love bird and a flat-coated retriever. They leave each other alone. I do move our little bird to another room and close the door while we're out of the house though. But while we're home, all is fine.

We had a dog for a while. He seemed almost unaware of the birds. He'd bark when they sqwaked. Dog went to live with neighbors.

Then we just had birds. One died of being old and stupid.

We had one bird.

The we added a cat.

Now we just have the cat.

Those three things go together. ::yes::

I have a love bird and a flat-coated retriever. They leave each other alone. I do move our little bird to another room and close the door while we're out of the house though. But while we're home, all is fine.

I think we'd look into crate training the dog. but we'll see when the time comes.

About 10 years ago we had sister Lhasa Opsos who were 6 yrs old. Now remember these girls were of a small breed. My wunnerful Mom bought each of my kids parakeets and a cute cage. We put the caged birds up high on my Son's dresser on a shelf. After two weeks and no problems we thought GREAT! We then took the kids out for dinner. When we came home there were feathers all over the house as well as drops of blood on comforters and curtains. The dogs seemed VERY proud of themselves for getting rid of the evil vultures. To this day we have NO idea how they got up there much less got the birds off the shelf.

My only advice is to get a dog the bird can kill or get a dog with only two legs and name her Ilene.

Oh and one of our girl's was blind so the other one started it.

We had a dog for a while. He seemed almost unaware of the birds. He'd bark when they sqwaked. Dog went to live with neighbors.

Then we just had birds. One died of being old and stupid.

We had one bird.

The we added a cat.

Now we just have the cat.

Those three things go together. ::yes::

OK, I admit i couldn't help laughing at that little story. Its just gave me the giggles.Lucky for Rally, neither DH and I are cat ppl.

About 10 years ago we had sister Lhasa Opsos who were 6 yrs old. Now remember these girls were of a small breed. My wunnerful Mom bought each of my kids parakeets and a cute cage. We put the caged birds up high on my Son's dresser on a shelf. After two weeks and no problems we thought GREAT! We then took the kids out for dinner. When we came home there were feathers all over the house as well as drops of blood on comforters and curtains. The dogs seemed VERY proud of themselves for getting rid of the evil vultures. To this day we have NO idea how they got up there much less got the birds off the shelf.

My only advice is to get a dog the bird can kill or get a dog with only two legs and name her Ilene.

Oh and one of our girl's was blind so the other one started it.

Oh wow. yeah, i think we'll be crate training. Very talented dogs you have.

We do not have birds at this time, but have had several in the past. They were macaws and could pretty well take care of themselves. Our dog didn't bother them and the cats would sleep on their perch.

I would definitely get a puppy. It will be easier to to socialize them. I would research the breed you choose. Make sure the dog isn't a "hunter". :scared1:

We have a 1/2 Golden Retriever she is 5, very, very hyper & happy (I can't stress that enough). We bought the kids a Quaker Parrot in Aug. She is very curious about the bird but has not attempted to hurt it. I think she would love to just carry him around but we won't let her do that.

We have 4 dogs and 10 birds (8 cockatiels and 2 parakeets) Our dogs don't bother the birds at all when they are out but they are small dogs (3 poodles and a pekeapoo) When we let the birds out, a couple of the dogs get under the furniture because the oldest cockatiels - and the reason why we have so many now :sad2: )- like to climb on the dogs and twiddle the dogs fur in their beaks.

I think if you were getting a big dog, I wouldn't let them interact together though, unless you are extremely, extremely careful. In the cage they should be fine.

The closest we had to one of our birds being hurt by one of the dogs was actually Reilly being a little too friendly. It was a ritual in our house that when I came home from work, all the dogs would bolt out to the front door to greet me. Reilly (10lb poodle) was laying with one of the birds when he heard me come home. DW Lauri told me He jumped up and started running in to greet me and looked behind him as if he was checking to see if his birdy buddy was coming too. When he noticed the bird wasn't running in that same happy doggy "OMG Daddy's HOME" way, he ran back, gently put the longest tail feather in his mouth and started dragging the poor bird to the front door with him. :eek: :rotfl2: You could tell he wasn't trying to hurt him because he was so gentle in doing it, but the bird wanted nothing to do with the "Daddy Home" ritual and pecked him a good one in the nose. :rotfl2:

We have an African Gray parrot and dogs. They don't seem to be bothered by each other.

We have 4 dogs and 10 birds (8 cockatiels and 2 parakeets) Our dogs don't bother the birds at all when they are out but they are small dogs (3 poodles and a pekeapoo) When we let the birds out, a couple of the dogs get under the furniture because the oldest cockatiels - and the reason why we have so many now :sad2: )- like to climb on the dogs and twiddle the dogs fur in their beaks.

I think if you were getting a big dog, I wouldn't let them interact together though, unless you are extremely, extremely careful. In the cage they should be fine.

The closest we had to one of our birds being hurt by one of the dogs was actually Reilly being a little too friendly. It was a ritual in our house that when I came home from work, all the dogs would bolt out to the front door to greet me. Reilly (10lb poodle) was laying with one of the birds when he heard me come home. DW Lauri told me He jumped up and started running in to greet me and looked behind him as if he was checking to see if his birdy buddy was coming too. When he noticed the bird wasn't running in that same happy doggy "OMG Daddy's HOME" way, he ran back, gently put the longest tail feather in his mouth and started dragging the poor bird to the front door with him. :eek: :rotfl2: You could tell he wasn't trying to hurt him because he was so gentle in doing it, but the bird wanted nothing to do with the "Daddy Home" ritual and pecked him a good one in the nose. :rotfl2:

Your tiels must love the dogs. The fur twiddling is sign of affection for tiels. the dogs are part of the flock. Its very rare that Rally will come over to us and start playing with our hair.
That's funny about the dog trying to get the bird into the Daddy home routine. I can actually picture it.

That's a smart move Pin Wizard. Having a bird and a sporting dog you have to be careful, I would do the same thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter