Any tips for ear pain on airplanes for kids?

yipee

Mouseketeer
Hi there!

Just thought I would check if any of you have any tips for the kiddies on an airplane? Last time we landed in LAX, both my kids (5 and 7) had extreme ear pain. Any ideas on how to teach them to "pop" their ears? Any other tips? We tried gum, swallowing, yawning, cups over ears... None of those helped. Thanks so much!

Denise

Denise you said you tried the cups on the ears...did you put a warm paper towel inside the cup before placing on ears. The heat helps to expand the tissue and relieve pressure. Some people who have a chronic problem with this and airplanes will take non-drowsy Sudafed decongestant prior to the flight to relieve any congestion in the ears that will increase the pressure when landing. Good luck.. Marilyn

Earplanes!! :thumbsup2 They have changed my flying life. I always have terrible ear pain when I fly. I used ear planes the last two trips and no ear pain at all. My daughter used them and took them out too soon, so you would have to convince your children to leave them in. She suffered the consequences of not listening to me...next time she will listen. ;)

Thanks guys! I used Earplanes years and years ago, before I figured out how to "pop" my own ears! I didn't know they still made them! Do you try to have your kids keep them in for the whole flight? Or just the landing?

thanks again! You guys are the best!
Denise

Yes, I would also like to know if you keep them in the whole flight? and, what store did you find them at. I am going to try to get some!

being-dragged-to-DL said:
Yes, I would also like to know if you keep them in the whole flight? and, what store did you find them at. I am going to try to get some!

Look at your local big box stores (Wal-Mart/K-Mart/Target) as well as your drug stores.

As for leaving them in the whole flight, that kind of depends on how long your flight lasts. The people to ask are probably the flight attendants. Definitely put them in before they close the door and pressurize the airplane

Good luck!

My daughter had ear trouble flying home a few weeks ago. Our flight to Seattle from John Wayne was hard for her. We bought Earplanes at the Seattle airport. Our second flight was only 2 hours. She put them in before takeoff and left them in for another hour before she took them out. So she had them out for about 1/2 hour and then put them in again to prepare for landing. They helped her tremendously!

I have always had my children put them in as they are closing the doors until the plane reaches altitude. then again as soon as you feel the plane start to desend a little or you can even time it and have them put it in 30 minutes before you are scheduled to land

They were a life saver when they were little

I cant find them anywhere local. Ill try some more places tomorrow, but today I could ONLY find the 11-adult sizes. I dont think I have time to order them either, as we leave Saturday. I wil keep trying though. They sound great... if I can get my kids to keep them in.

Both my son and daughter have terrible problems with their ears and have had no luck with the earplanes or gum but the time the stewardess brought the steaming paper towels in the paper cups and told them to cup it over their ears, it was like a miracle, they had instant relief. We never actually touched the paper towels so I don't know how hot they were, I don't think they would use boiling water knowing it was for a kid but the towel definitely was steaming a bit so it must of been good and hot but the paper towel doesn't actually touch the ear so no problem. It really is amazing how well it works. When flying from Calgary to Vancouver we must have to change alltitude fast to land after coming over the mountains because that always seemed to be the worst flight for us, dd used to just rock back and forth with tears rolling down her face, it was awful to watch her go through so much pain.

If your kids are super-sensitive, they would be worth it! My older son was just finishing antibiotics for an ear infection when we were leaving for DisneyWorld in '99. My ped. gave me a script for drops...it was very handy!

My kids usually do fine with gum and juice...but kiddos with sensitive ears would benefit from the drops.

HOORAY!!! I found the Earplanes for Kids! I had to drive all the way to the Boise Airport... but thats ok. I bought a cute carry-on bag while I was there!!
:thumbsup2 We will have gum, suckers, drinks, pain drops, paper cups, hot towels and a prayer! 5 days to go...

My girls suffer terribly from this, but on our last flight to the US the Qantas staff handed us some caspules of a very intense smelling liquid which unblocks everything.

They just sniffed these on take of landing and had no problems. Not sure what they are called but I'm sure chemists should have the answer.

Thanks so much everyone! I had to look high and low, but I finally found the children's EarPlanes. I found many of the adult ones, but it sure was tough to find the kids'! I'm also going to remember the tip about the warm/hot paper towels in the cups. Sure hope it helps! They don't seem to be particularly sensitive, they just had trouble landing in L.A. Probably because it's so close to sea level... Thanks again for your advice!

Denise

A couple of tips about the earplanes...
1. remember to throw them out once they have been used for two flights. The filters become less effective with use.
2. If you are an adult with small ears, use the children's size so that the pressure won't cause discomfort.
3. Pull back on the ear firmly and then insert the plug deep enough to make a seal.

I sell these in my office and have never had anyone tell me they were ineffective.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter