Any thoughts on Castaway Club levels and future possible adjustments?

PhilipC

Earning My Ears
(I couldn't find a thread about this already, apologies if there has been a discussion)

For as long as I can remember, DCL has had three levels of Castaway Club, with level membership being 2nd cruise, 6th cruise and 11th cruise (silver, gold and platinum respectively) with no expiration or level adjustment through non-cruising with DCL.

So, over time, more and more people have moved up the levels, with the inevitable small adjustments to membership perks like the gold/platinum party being moved to longer and longer cruises (now 8+ nights) and being lower and lower "value", such as not being a party of there are too many cruisers at that level but, instead, something in the theatre.

To my point, then ... does anyone think that DCL will have to do something to the levels in the future like either introducing new levels or adding an expiration to them? I feel that the current scheme cannot last forever because of the increasing pressure on DCL to reduce the perks as more and more people reach the higher levels.

What do you think?

(I couldn't find a thread about this already, apologies if there has been a discussion)

For as long as I can remember, DCL has had three levels of Castaway Club, with level membership being 2nd cruise, 6th cruise and 11th cruise (silver, gold and platinum respectively) with no expiration or level adjustment through non-cruising with DCL.

So, over time, more and more people have moved up the levels, with the inevitable small adjustments to membership perks like the gold/platinum party being moved to longer and longer cruises (now 8+ nights) and being lower and lower "value", such as not being a party of there are too many cruisers at that level but, instead, something in the theatre.

To my point, then ... does anyone think that DCL will have to do something to the levels in the future like either introducing new levels or adding an expiration to them? I feel that the current scheme cannot last forever because of the increasing pressure on DCL to reduce the perks as more and more people reach the higher levels.

What do you think?

They offer CC perks as lip service. None of said perks are valuable enough to impact a buying decision to any meaningful degree.

They don’t need to do anything special to get repeat cruisers, anyway. They will adjust CC only under duress, and then only make incremental changes just to shut us up.

What do you think?
There's been discussion about this in the past. It appears that DCL is reducing CC perks, not adding to them

Here's a few threads that evolved into discussion as to the benefits/levels:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/new-castaway-club-benefits-announced.3601639
https://www.disboards.com/threads/dcl-does-not-care-about-repeat-cruisers.3387322
https://www.disboards.com/threads/castaway-club.3168479
https://www.disboards.com/threads/platinum-perks.3067168
https://www.disboards.com/threads/castaway-club-members-are-we-really-worth-less.2959461

The primary perks they give out are more meaningful to those who don't have them than to those who have them. Cruisers without platinum status have to wait until a later date to book excursions & other nice things, have to wait longer to book when newer itineraries come out, have to wait a bit longer to board the ship. There aren't a ton of those types of perks out there, so I don't see what else they would offer a higher level. They don't want to give perks of objective value (booking discounts, onboard credits) to anyone.

Making perks expire would needlessly anger loyal customers and would therefore be sheer stupidity on DCL's part.

Last edited:
Having the levels expire would insanely stupid. What would be the use of having them at all? It would only benefit those people that take 2 and 3 night vacations several times a year rather than those of us that take 7 or 14 night trips ever year or 18 months.

Having the levels expire would insanely stupid. What would be the use of having them at all? It would only benefit those people that take 2 and 3 night vacations several times a year rather than those of us that take 7 or 14 night trips ever year or 18 months.

And, in my opinion, those people are already getting the advantage. The change I would love to see would be to attach status to nights on the ship rather than pure number of cruises. I’ve only been on two DCL sailings (third coming in November), but have spent 18 nights on the Magic. It’s frustrating that I’m left at silver when someone with a number of 2-3 day cruises could have spent less time on the ship, but have a higher CC level.

Last edited:
And, in my opinion, those people are already getting the advantage. The change I would love to see would be to attach status to nights on the ship rather than pure number of cruises. I’ve only been on two DCL sailings (third coming in November), but have spent 18 nights on the Magic. It’s frustrating that I’m left at silver when someone with a number of 2-3 day cruises could have spent less time on the ship, but have a higher CC level.
I could make a similar argument for dollars spent — we have done two 3-day cruises and one 7-day all at concierge level. But I book for Disney not perks. #6months2fantasy

My platinum status is great with early bookings and a free Palo meal, I will take it.
But we cruise Disney because we like what they offer, its just that simple for us.

I would like to see them add another level though, it would be fun to say we reached say, "THE DIAMOND LEVEL!"

My platinum status is great with early bookings and a free Palo meal, I will take it.
But we cruise Disney because we like what they offer, its just that simple for us.

I would like to see them add another level though, it would be fun to say we reached say, "THE DIAMOND LEVEL!"
Would maybe be 25 cruises? Or higher?

Would maybe be 25 cruises? Or higher?

My personal feeling go higher, since there are so many platinums already.
When we sailed the WBPC earlier this year, at 18 cruises we were babies compared to some of the others with over 30 and up.

My two cents (FYI I'm gold so this would shoot myself in the foot)....
1. Any changes should freeze your current status (nothing like annoying current frequent cruiser like demoting them).
2. Any changes should encompass nights on board and room category... It kind of defies logic that a two three night cruises in an interior room counts more than a Panama Canal cruise in a Disney Suite (if you look most frequent user programs have transitioned to direct or indirect measurements of dollars spent).
3. Add on additional level announced level on top of platinum that contains the current top 5% of club members (makes it aspirational for current high members) . Find a benefit that's low cost/ high value to give them... for example, Rainforest Pass for the length of cruise... free non-alcoholic drinks at any bar... free pictures...
4. Add a "super secret" top level that is the rolling top 1% of cruisers for the past 5 years (think United's Global Services or AA's Concierge Key).... Take care of those that are your current "best" customers instead of lifetime best...

Couple of tweaks that helps Disney recognize their best customers... Continuing to use nights on board helps to keep families with smaller budgets as part of the system.

Just my thoughts

I think they should do something better for their most loyal customers. However I am not sure they will. It does seem that more of their cruises, even during summer go to GTY rates. They may have to rethink their pricing. I think RCCL Coco Cays improvements make their three and four night cruises very competitive for the fun, get away factor, plus they are less money.

By the way, this DVC Member Cruise will be my 30th DCL CRUISE, and I have four more booked, including the WBTA this September. I also have 2 RCCL and 1 Princess Cruise, 1 Celebrity cruise booked between this year and next.

Most likely change would be to reconfigure their loyalty program to reward dollars spent. They make far more money from someone booking a suite on a 7 day Alaska cruise and running up a big tab than someone else booking two 3 day cruises in an inside cabin. Yet the rewards program currently values the second customer higher.

Some cruise lines base elite status on whichever is higher: number of nights sailed OR cruises taken - with double points for sailing in a suite, or sailing solo in a double-occupancy cabin. I'd like to see DCL do the same, as well as add another Castaway Club level for those who have sailed 25+ times with DCL.

When I was a lowly Silver - we had to wait to book new itineraries with the general public. Also - Platinum and Gold booked the same day. Now that I'm Gold, the Silver members get to book the day before the general public, which is how it should be, and Gold book the day after Platinum.

They could offer perks like free WiFi and free laundry.

The DIS has discussed changing the CC status many times -- just leads to frustration, so I'm not holding my breath they'll do anything. Since DH and I have cruised a total of 58 days on six DCL cruises, I wish DCL would reward days onboard, but I don't see that happening.

Making perks expire would needlessly anger loyal customers

Having the levels expire would insanely stupid.

My frequent flyer status with American expires if I do not fly regularly, it doesn't make me angry or want to fly Southwest. Having a reasonable timeframe to repeat business to maintain your status makes total sense for many reasons. A very long expiration would makes sense like 10 yrs or something for the following reason:

The problem is in the upcoming years there are going to be tens of thousands of platinum cruisers who have never actually paid for a Disney Cruise. For example, our four boys ages 7-13 will be platinum in 5 months when we get off our next cruise. DCL will now have 4 new platinum cruisers who have never paid a dime to DCL. If our kids decide to take their own families on a Disney Cruise when they are grown, the whole family in that stateroom will get my kid's platinum perk even though it will be their "first" cruise with DCL. Now multiply my family's situation on a national scale and you see where I'm going with this. Adding an expiration would downgrade those who do the gap of cruising from childhood until they actually pay for their own cruise with their own families.

My frequent flyer status with American expires if I do not fly regularly, it doesn't make me angry or want to fly Southwest. Having a reasonable timeframe to repeat business to maintain your status makes total sense for many reasons. A very long expiration would makes sense like 10 yrs or something for the following reason:

The problem is in the upcoming years there are going to be tens of thousands of platinum cruisers who have never actually paid for a Disney Cruise. For example, our four boys ages 7-13 will be platinum in 5 months when we get off our next cruise. DCL will now have 4 new platinum cruisers who have never paid a dime to DCL. If our kids decide to take their own families on a Disney Cruise when they are grown, the whole family in that stateroom will get my kid's platinum perk even though it will be their "first" cruise with DCL. Now multiply my family's situation on a national scale and you see where I'm going with this. Adding an expiration would downgrade those who do the gap of cruising from childhood until they actually pay for their own cruise with their own families.

But you paid it. You paid their fare, their excursions, their ice cream, their souvenirs. They should absolutely be given status.

If anything, your example is a reason why they should add another tier, maybe 20-25 cruises. Palo is really the only commodity that has a limited supply onship. Anyone can use the % off gifts (always something to buy). Disney can always contract for more tour operators (excursion early booking). Disney doesn't care who fills up their boat, just that they do (early booking new cruises). But Palo, they can only seat so many people a night. Don't know what the tipping point is or if we have reached it yet, but eventually more people are going to want their free Palo than there are spots to dine there.

DCL's 3-level Loyalty program was implemented in October 2009. For the 11 years prior to that, all return cruisers received the same benefits.

I could make a similar argument for dollars spent — we have done two 3-day cruises and one 7-day all at concierge level. But I book for Disney not perks. #6months2fantasy

The other cruise lines I've been on reward by nights and some offer double points for suite or single-cruisers supplements. I haven't see any based on dollars spent but I've only sailed 4 lines. Do you know which ones do this?

Having a reasonable timeframe to repeat business to maintain your status makes total sense for many reasons.

Most other cruise lines have been around a lot longer than DCL without having to place expiration limits on loyalty rewards. Last year, I did some reading on a handful of the cruise lines we've sailed or are considering. While this data below is a year old and just a small slice of the cruise industry statistics, it gave me an idea of the differences in fleet age & size, passenger percent, revenue, and loyalty programs for the cruise lines of interest to me.

loy.jpg

Sources: The data on % passengers and revenue was found at https://cruisemarketwatch.com/market-share/. The ship origin, fleet size, orders, and loyalty program data was found on wikipedia.org. Note the table above might not reflect the most current data.

@T & R Here's the big difference I see between airlines and cruise lines... A really high end air traveler / road warrior is going to take multiple trips a month (some a week). The equivalent would be a traveler who took one maybe two cruises a year... Given the difference in usage, at what point do you start "expiring" cruises? The definition of "frequent" for cruising is far different than flyers. On the flip side, do I think that its funny that my first cruise almost 20 years ago still counts... Yep!

BTW... Your argument with your kids is counter to the Disney Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products's historical strategy (at least the Parks portion). They want to set the hook early. Its why they're willing to give a kid a $5 ice cream if they drop it. They want to make sure that kid wants to bring their kids back in the future. Your family is the poster child for the Disney strategy working if they come back... they continue to get the same experience they always did...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter