"Any career" appreciation week, am I the only one that doesn't get it?

ebtbmom

DIS Veteran
I don't get all of the "appreciation day/weeks" that go on for various professions.

I'm talking about myself too because I'm a nurse. We always get little tokens and thank yous during nurses week. Honestly though, it's my job, I do it ONLY for the paycheck. I sure as heck wouldn't volunteer for it!

I guess I just don't see the need to go out of your way to thank someone for doing their job, what they are paid for and expected to do! If anyone deserves an appreciation week it's volunteers.

Or maybe I'm too cynical?

We get lots of nice cards (and sometimes flowers and candy) from parents and kids. The rest of the year, not so much. So yeah, I don't have a problem with it.
People work at jobs where they get bonuses or decent hourly pay...or even overtime pay!!! (What is that!?!) Most of those jobs don't require taking care of other people, so it's nice to be appreciated in a non-monetary way (since we totally don't get it in a monetary way...)

No appreciation for my job, other than a paycheck. I wonder if all of these appreciation days or weeks are management's way of salving their conscience for not paying decent wages?

This is the only one I totally agree with Of course it was designated as such when I was 8 yrs old :

National Police Week
Sunday, May 11 through Saturday, May 17
In 1962, President Kennedy proclaimed May 15 as National Peace Officers Memorial Day and the calendar week in which May 15 falls, as National Police Week. Established by a joint resolution of Congress in 1962, National Police Week pays special recognition to those law enforcement officers who have lost their lives in the line of duty for the safety and protection of others.

Having lost an uncle that was killed in the line of duty I think this is what appreciation/recognition should be about Not secretaries day bosses day teachers day/week on and on just plain silly

I don't think a big deal needs to be made out of most appreciation days but it is nice to get a little "happy" (usually a plant for my desk or flowers) from my boss on Secretary's Day. He says that we get so busy most days that he forgets to say thank you for the job we do. My direct supervisor doesn't write my pay check or even determine my pay so its he can't show his appreciation by a pay raise or a bonus.

And I think its the way in most jobs, so it is nice to get a little "thank you" for a job well done.

I don't get all of the "appreciation day/weeks" that go on for various professions.

I'm talking about myself too because I'm a nurse. We always get little tokens and thank yous during nurses week. Honestly though, it's my job, I do it ONLY for the paycheck. I sure as heck wouldn't volunteer for it!

I guess I just don't see the need to go out of your way to thank someone for doing their job, what they are paid for and expected to do! If anyone deserves an appreciation week it's volunteers.

:thumbsup2 I agree 100% Your appreciation is your paycheck and if your supervisor likes your work

I think they are ridiculous and completely out of hand. Especially the entire week ones.

I think a thank you is nice but in general feel appreciation days/weeks are Hallmark holidays.

I am a preschool teacher, and I do kind of agree that the whole appreciation week thing is a little much.

Unlike OP, I don't do my job only for the money, (the small amount that it is). I really enjoy it, even though it can be challenging at times.

I feel appreciated by my students and their parents all year.

I do feel uncomfortable with the way our school handles teacher appreciation week. The board (who are volunteers) emails parents to have their kids each bring us a flower on a certain day, so we end up with a bouquet that day. The email is sent without teachers' knowledge, so we are supposed to be surprised. Frankly, it's one of the most stressful days of the year. This is because naturally some of the parents miss the email/forget. So their kids see other kids walking in with flowers and they don't have one. That leaves us to pick up the pieces, so to speak.

Even though the flower request doesn't come from the teachers, it does seem like it does, since parents think of the preschool as one entity. So I just find it awkward that a day is designated for us to be given a "token of appreciation".

I am a very "unsentimental" type person, so I do think the appreciation days/weeks are a bit much; however, I kind of get why they started.

Some professions pay very little but they require a lot of giving of yourself to be good at them. That includes teachers, nurses, rescue workers, police, etc. where, yeah, you get a paycheck but much of the time you have to go above and beyond to be really good at your job. If you do your job well, you can make a real difference in somebody's life. This can not be said of every profession. Certainly not mine!!

So, I can see where someone might want to express appreciation. They know you probably don't get paid a lot but you give of yourself tremendously.

When I worked in an office I always felt squeezed. They had "Secretary's Day" and "Boss's Day". I never could get anyone on board with "Middle Manager's Day". :rolleyes1 Maybe I should have talked to someone at Hallmark......

And I agree "Boss's Day" was the worst idea ever. Not everyone has a great boss, and it's terribly uncomfortable to be coerced into doing something like that if it wasn't heartfelt. Let's face it, some bosses are jerks. And some are psychotic whackos. But that's another thread.........:rotfl:

The one I really don't get is Boss' Day. Shouldn't appreciation trickle downwards?

An "special recognition day" might be a little convoluted, but if you've ever had a bad boss, you can surely appreciate a good one. Most bosses, managers, supervisors, foremen, etc. are just cogs in the wheel themselves and their jobs aren't any easier than the rank and file. An effective manager balances the weight of responsibility for both the good of the company and the interests of the staff under him/her. Surely someone who does it well is as worthy of a thank you as anyone else.

An "special recognition day" might be a little convoluted, but if you've ever had a bad boss, you can surely appreciate a good one. Most bosses, managers, supervisors, foremen, etc. are just cogs in the wheel themselves and their jobs aren't any easier than the rank and file. An effective manager balances the weight of responsibility for both the good of the company and the interests of the staff under him/her. Surely someone who does it well is as worthy of a thank you as anyone else.

True. Except that it's not "Good Boss's Day". It's just "Boss's Day". And let's face it, you have to do something whether they're good or bad.

Regarding the "school appreciation"...that is something started from the PTA's IIRC.

It is a thank you to the teacher's for helping them out. The PTA's in general do a lot with the school which requires the time of the teacher's and this is their time to give back.

As far as other "Hallmark Days", I suppose it is up to your business atmosphere if they participate. I don't care one way or another. That being said, it would be nice if everyone appreciated everyone everyday.

True. Except that it's not "Good Boss's Day". It's just "Boss's Day". And let's face it, you have to do something whether they're good or bad.

Same goes for secretaries, nurses, teachers or whatever, right? ;)

I am a very "unsentimental" type person, so I do think the appreciation days/weeks are a bit much; however, I kind of get why they started.

Some professions pay very little but they require a lot of giving of yourself to be good at them. That includes teachers, nurses, rescue workers, police, etc. where, yeah, you get a paycheck but much of the time you have to go above and beyond to be really good at your job. If you do your job well, you can make a real difference in somebody's life. This can not be said of every profession. Certainly not mine!!

So, I can see where someone might want to express appreciation. They know you probably don't get paid a lot but you give of yourself tremendously.
Thank you for "getting it", Christine. :flower3:

Few wished me a Happy Nurse's Day this year, but the hospital where I work does put on a few small activities to express their appreciation. My favorite is the Blessing of the Hands, because it's a reminder (to me) that the work we do is spiritual and touches lives in a unique and special way.

And just to add, I can't say that I do my job just for a paycheck. Many of the activities I do in my life outside of work center around using my nursing skills, so I guess it's just a big part of who I am, and I'm very likely to do it whether I get thanks or not.

I try myself to not only remember appreciation days for those who earn appreciation, too, but to either give a special thank you to someone who may not be part of a group that gets an appreciation day, or to pay it forward when someone goes the extra mile for me or someone else, whenever I can. A little word of thanks can really brighten someone's day and make a difference in how that person treats others. I had it happen last week and it was the difference between a bad day and a good day for me that particular day. So a little shoutout here to a very nice and caring young woman named Diana. :littleangel:

ETA What the Blessing of the Hands is all about: http://www.nd.edu.au/news/media-releases/2013/181

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter