Any army mom's here? Or I guess any Army info would be appreciated :)

pat fan

Sad my tag won't fit :(
My DS (he'll be a senior this coming year) talked to me this afternoon about maybe enlisting after he graduates. I know it's a little ways away, but just looking for some info & direction. Not sure exactly how serious he is, but I want to make sure I say the right things so I'm not encouraging or discouraging, KWIM? Thanks....
PS, we're in western Massachusetts, if that makes any differance.

Good for you for not encouraging or discouraging him. Even though I'm not a mom I can understand what a difficult decision this is and how it can be hard for you.

I would say first before talking with any green suiters to take the ASVAB(is it still called this) test to see how high he scores and what areas of interest he has. Is there a chance for your son to join JROTC at your school? That would give him a taste of the PT and the regimented way of life think uniforms and marching and rules to live by.

At some point your son does want to speak with a recruiter, make sure there is someone preferably a parent, with him that can ask the basic questions that he can't think of. Anything that is promised(and some recruiters not all will promise the moon) get into his contract should he enlist.

So many people are against going straight into the army without being an officer but my husband did and still isn't an officer but an outstanding Non-Commissioned Officer(NCO) who has done really well for himself so far.

I would be more than happy to put your son in touch with my husband. He joined at 19 after trying college for a year but that was because it was insisted he try college even though he just wanted to join the army. My husband is really honest about how the army is not for everyone and he does not romanticize the firing of weapons of riding in helicopters lol he talks about all night duty or holiday duty or being deployed in 140 degree heat.

I do know that there are other active duty or retired people on here so hopefully you will get more replies. Again, good for you MOM for being openminded to this.

Thanks for the reply.
ASVAB(is it still called this) test
What is this and where is it?
He goes to a Technical school so I don't think they have JROTC, at least I've never heard of it at all.
Again, thank you :)

Thanks for the reply.

What is this and where is it?
He goes to a Technical school so I don't think they have JROTC, at least I've never heard of it at all.
Again, thank you :)

Here is the official website for the ASVAB. This test helps determine what specialities your son should steer toward in the military. If he already has something in mind like helicopter pilot then this will tell if he could achieve that.

It used to be that the ASVAB was done in high schools through a local recruiting office but I don't know how it is done now.

Here is the website http://www.official-asvab.com/where_app.htm

Thanks! I'll show it to him tonight...Always good to get info from someone OTHER than the "officials". Thank you :)

The military isn't for everyone...but you can make it work for you (or he for him...you know what I mean - lol!)

- He would want to start exercising NOW so that basic would be a lot easier. Running, pull ups, push ups, sit ups, etc.

- My husband enlisted in the Army at 17 or 18. The military paid for his Bachelor and Masters and he's now an officer.

- I enlisted in the Air Force at 19 after I did a year of college and realized I didn't want student loans forever! The military has now paid for my Bachelors and most of my Masters (almost done!). I'm still enlisted because I just flat out don't want to go to any more military schools.

Being in the military can be HARD...but it's also Extremely rewarding!! I wonder if you could check around to see if there is a local JROTC program that he could attend...since there is not one at his school? Even Civil Air Patrol would give him a bit of a taste and would look good on his records.

Good luck to you both! :goodvibes

I know this wasn't your original question but I might suggest he talk to the other branches of the military if at all possible. I am the proud mom of a Marine but my son also spoke to the Air Force and Navy as well. All have something to offer and the Army may be the best for him but at his age he has lots of options available. I agree that he needs to have someone with him that may be a little more "skilled" at life and getting answers to the right questions to make sure he is making the best decision for him since I fully agree that the military is not for everyone.

My son graduated in 08. He had signed with the National Guard in January of his Sr. year. He has now been gone since September to training and hopefully will be home by July 2!!!

Here's my advice. What does your son want to do with his life. What career paths has he dreamed of or looked at?

Once he takes the ASVAB, he will then get a list of jobs that are available to him. Do any of those jobs go well with what he was already thinking. Can any of those jobs (or do they have skills) that can be transferred to civilian life?

Let him talk to a recruiter as long as he doesn't sign anything!!!!!!!!! What are the sign on bonuses. What are they offering.

After he talks to the recruiter then you have a chance to think things through more and come up with more detailed questions. Then meet with the recruiter with him. Again, if you want something and it's not in the contract...don't sign.

Some area units also offer weekly PT to high students, see if that's offered in your area. Our local unit offers PT every Thursday night. More than half of our Varsity Track team also attends PT training.

My son has known for years that he wanted to be an EMT/Firefighter. His scores from his ASVAB gave him the chance to sign as an EMT. He went to basics, then on to AIT(Advance Individual Training) for EMT. Unfortunately he did not pass the EMT test and had to reclass. His reclass though is still transferrable to civilian life. When he finishes this AIT training on July 1 he will then get to come home for 2 years for college. The Guard pays for his college and he still plans to pursue EMT training at college. After his 2 years of college he will then have 3 more years to serve in Guard.

My daughter on the other hand did not seek our advice or help and signed without us knowing...she could do this because she was 18. She signed with the Navy as a Gunner's Mate. They told her that she could switch jobs later. Don't believe this if they tell you this. Thankfully, she did not end up shipping, she changed her mind about the military.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

My daughter on the other hand did not seek our advice or help and signed without us knowing...she could do this because she was 18. She signed with the Navy as a Gunner's Mate. They told her that she could switch jobs later. Don't believe this if they tell you this. Thankfully, she did not end up shipping, she changed her mind about the military.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

You can enlist and then get out of it?

You can enlist and then get out of it?

At the current time, yes. You swear in when you go to MEPS the first time and then you swear in again the day you ship.

I'm sure that if we were to get into a different type of war situation that might change but at this point yes, they are allowing you to back out.

Both my daughter and her now husband did it. They had both signed with Navy.

The army paid for my BS and MA and hubby's BA and it has been a great adventure. I joined two weeks after my 17th birthday (with parents' permission) and have not regretted it ever. It can be a difficult life but the sense of pride, fulfillment and accomplishment more than makes up for it, most days :). I would agree that first he take the asvab and see what mos he qualifies for, as not all jobs in the military are the same, personal value wise.

He said he's going to take the ASVAB next year, guidance is backerd up now as only a few days left of school. I will "encourage" him to talk to other branches, but frankly, Army is the only local office that I know of. No Marines, Air Force or Navy recruiters around.

I took the ASVAB this year because it was offered at my school. I got a 97. My advice for your son is to study vocabulary words. Those can get a little tricky, but the math part is pretty basic. There are study books you can buy that have sample tests so he can practice.

If you can speak to JROTC instructors in in your area they can be a big help. Each branch's website also has a recruiter locator. Air Force, Navy, and Marines.

There are ROTC scholarships for students who want to go to college first. My sister went through four years of AFROTC in college and was commissioned as a 2nd Lt. That's another option.

The program that was refered to above is the DEP-Delayed Enlistment Program. I did this when I joined because in order to get the job I wanted I had to wait to go to basic. I almost backed out but I'm so glad I didn't. I would also do your (or have your son do his) homework by talking to recruiters from different branches as well as looking online. usmilitary.about.com is a great site for that.

I'm in the Air Force so I can't give too much info about the army, but I agree with a PP that you have a great sense of pride wearing the uniform, despite things not always being easy.

OP, I am surprised the other branches don't visit his high school but perhaps that is only our local recruiters here in Indiana. That is where my son first spoke to someone about the delayed enlistment program.

Actually, no recruiter visits his school. Not sure where the Army came into his mind. His grandfather was a Marine and my cousin was a mucky-muck in the Navy (just retired) so I don't know where the Army came from. We plan on visiting the recruiting office sometime along, but I don't know when we should be doing that. Any tips?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter