Another Service Dog Question

rwrocksme

<font color=green>I turn towards the wall and moo<
With all of the service dog discussion going around, (which is great timing, since I just got put on the CCI waiting list:woohoo: ) I figured I'd throw a question into the mix. Here's the situation: You are in Disney with your service dog. It's June. It's hot. You go into [insert sit down restaurant name here] for a nice meal. Would it be rude to ask your server for water for the dog? I know it's ok at a counter service place, but what about a more formal restaurant?

I'm an etiquette maven, sorry.

-- Eliza (waiting on her service dog pluto: )

Your agency will teach you the things they find acceptable. I can say that we've had service dogs for almost three years. We carry water with us. I think we've asked for water once or twice, and those were at counter type restaurants. We carry bottled water, poop bags, portable bowls, etc., for these situations. You can always get up and go to the bathroom to get water. We have been offered water at two different restaurants, one at Disney and one at home.

We've been to many/most of the TS restaurants at Disney and have ALWAYS been offered water for my SD. CM's at Disney seem to be really diligent about offering to keep SD's hydrated. Beware of June- it's very, very hot for a dog to be out for any length of time and then there's the issue of burning pavement. My dog's trainer warned me that dogs can quickly overheat and die. We go to the parks in the summer but for very limited times and we spend most of our time in parks that have indoor attractions. It's always best to have your own supplies with you though and it's certainly okay to ask for water.---Kathy

Thanks. I was really curious and figured that this to be the place to get answers. Mission accomplished! :thumbsup2

P.S. Kathy, I just love your picture of Skye! It is just too sweet.

-- Eliza (waiting on her service dog pluto: )

It isn't appropriate to feed or water a service dog inside a restaurant dining room (the bathroom would be okay, otherwise go outside).

There are plenty of places at Disney to get water (purchase bottled water, get a cup of water and/or ice from a restaurant, fill up at a water fountain, bring pouched/bottled doggy water with you, etc.) so you can water your dog before you go somewhere to eat, if you need to. You should offer your dog water throughout the day, though they may not drink as much/as often as you think they would.

A good time to offer water is right after your dog has pottied.

Never use a reusable bowl/dish/cup/etc. from a restaurant for your dog for health code reasons. If you need to water your dog, use a travel dog water bowl you brought from home (I recommend the plastic folding ones from Outward Hound - you can keep 'em in your pocket or other small spaces).

Our dog, in training to be a service dog, has been taught how to drink from a bottle. It involves a human holding the bottle and then squirting a spray of water out. It makes a bit of a mess as they are learning, but it's just water ending up on the ground. Obviously not something you would do with the dog inside, but very handy for outside.

Actually, it is fine to let a dog drink water from a bowl that is offered by the waiter/waitress if/when they do offer- some people cannot turn on the water spigots or reach them w/in the restroom and would appreciate the assistance when it's offered. There is no difference in a health code from a dog that has drunk from a bowl vs. a human who has drunk from a glass. Both will go through the dishwasher. I'm always offered a bowl of water in the restaurants but since I have my own bowl I prefer to let my SD use it as once she's finished she can hand it back to me vs. a china bowl. Most times she's already had a drink before we go inside, but if someone offers, which almost always happens at WDW, then I don't mind her having a drink if I think she could be thirsty and as long as the bowl is placed where it's not in the way of other guests. As the PP said above though, it's usually best to finish all your "business" with your SD before you enter a restaurant so your dog can go under the table and disappear. It also might make a difference if your dog is a "slurper" and might make a mess with the water, but my dog doesn't, and I'm not going to let her go thirsty in the midst of a hot summer day. Also during the day if it's hot, ice is a good thing to offer and request from the CM's in the park. Most CM's will offer a comp bottle of water if they can't pour water from their work location for you and will help you open and pour - I've had many a manager approach me to say to not hesitate to ask for the bottled water, ice, or any other assistance I might need.---Kathy

It isn't ever appropriate for an SD to drink inside a restaurant. That's part of basic SD handler etiquette. If you can't turn on spigots, you can get water from the restaurant and pour it into your dog's bowl.

It also is etiquette not to let the dog touch/eat off/drink out of bowls a restaurant will re-use. Even places that allow pets on their patio are not allowed to service pets in their dishes. It is not a problem to keep a portable bowl on you in a pocket, dog pack, dog vest, purse, wallet, etc.

Yes, water your dog on a warm day, but not to the detriment of being a good SD handler. Remember what you do reflects on other SD handlers who follow the etiquette standards set by the SD community. Plus you'll be a lot more welcome by businesses and the public.

At Disney, you can always get water for free - even for humans - just by asking for a cup of it.

Just because a restaurant might offer water doesn't mean it is appropriate to accept it, just like it isn't appropriate to accept offers for food for your SD or for your SD to sit on a seat.

Our dog, in training to be a service dog, has been taught how to drink from a bottle. It involves a human holding the bottle and then squirting a spray of water out. It makes a bit of a mess as they are learning, but it's just water ending up on the ground. Obviously not something you would do with the dog inside, but very handy for outside.

That sounds like a YouTube video waiting to be made!! ;)

They sell little roller-ball tops for water bottles for dogs. You screw it on a water bottle where the cap goes and the dog licks it like those hamster water bottles. I haven't used one, but have seen them in the catalogs and stores.

It isn't ever appropriate for an SD to drink inside a restaurant. That's part of basic SD handler etiquette.

It also is etiquette not to let the dog touch/eat off/drink out of bowls a restaurant will re-use. Even places that allow pets on their patio are not allowed to service pets in their dishes. It is not a problem to keep a portable bowl on you in a pocket, dog pack, dog vest, purse, wallet, etc.

Just because a restaurant might offer water doesn't mean it is appropriate to accept it, just like it isn't appropriate to accept offers for food for your SD or for your SD to sit on a seat.

One of the great things about our country is that we are all entitled to our opinions. We keep plastic, disposable bowls with us. We've never asked for water at a sit down restaurant. We've been offered, and accepted, twice. While it's not common it not unacceptable either. Our agency never offered any prohibition against accepting drinks. Restaurants to wash their tableware and a dog's mouth probably contains fewer germs than we have.

when i travel...I trained my SD to drink out of a cup. I have a travel bowl, but I don't like use it. I ask for a Extra cup when I stop.
Disney050.jpg

It isn't ever appropriate for an SD to drink inside a restaurant. That's part of basic SD handler etiquette. If you can't turn on spigots, you can get water from the restaurant and pour it into your dog's bowl.

Excuse me, but some people do not have the use of their arms and hands and cannot pour water into a bowl for their SD. Please don't judge everyone else's disability the same as your own. My SD organization does not prohibit SD handlers from giving their dog water inside a restaurant nor is it inappropriate if a dog is hot and thirsty. I have my own metal bowl for my SD but quite often at Disney a server will place a restaurant bowl of water in front of my dog with a smile on their face to be doing what they've been trained to do- to assist the disabled with SD's as much as possible. I prefer my own bowl so Skye can hand it back but I'm not going to make a scene and thus not show appreciation and gratitude for the kindness offered. I'm sorry but I take offense at being told I'm not a good representative of a SD team- you don't have the right to judge me or other disabled people with SD's who may need more help than you do. Your idea of what constitutes SD etiquette isn't necessarily what's right in all situations and for all people.--Kathy and Skye

It is not my opinion or my idea of SD etiquette; it is what has been set as basic SD etiquette standards by the general SD handler population and organizations. You can go against it if you want, but it really shouldn't be done.

It has nothing to do with your abilities or disabilities. So if you can't pour, the restaurant or some other person (there are plenty of ppl in this world) can pour for you. Or maybe you have the ability to hold a bottle with the hamster-bottle top that I mentioned previously. Or maybe you've got some other contraption - SD ppl tend to get pretty creative.

I am not judging anybody. Just like ppl have certain restaurant, line, ride, etc. etiquette things to follow, so are there SD handler etiquette things to follow. Like your dog lays on the ground, not on a chair/seat. Like you don't let your dog sniff other ppl (unless you have given permission with their say-hi command) or items on store shelves. Like your dog is to act invisible.

I take it you aren't involved in any SD groups?

when i travel...I trained my SD to drink out of a cup. I have a travel bowl, but I don't like use it. I ask for a Extra cup when I stop.

What don't you like about the travel bowl? (And what kind is it - the fabric kind [I hate those] or the plastic folding "disposable" [highly reusable but cheap enough to be disposable] kind?)

Just be sure your dog doesn't get into your beer cup! ;)

Kathy, I used to take my dogs for long rides and I would get a cup of water from a drive through. They drank from the cup provided. I hope this does not break out into a fight over what is proper for SDs in public. I really hate to see a good thread die. We each have out own guidelines and manners. I do not know why some people cannot water their SD and I do not ask. I let others do what is comfortable for them. It is kind of nice to have people treat you nice.

Waves to Sue and Cheshire Figment, hi there.

It is not my opinion or my idea of SD etiquette; it is what has been set as basic SD etiquette standards by the general SD handler population and organizations. You can go against it if you want, but it really shouldn't be done.

I take it you aren't involved in any SD groups?

We got two service dogs from an agency. We are also members of a very large advocacy agency for service dogs. I've never heard this.

Maybe the agency you used is different from the agency we used and the agencies our friends have used.

To MsButterfly- I am involved with several SD internet groups and got my SD from a large and well-respected SD organization as well as belonging to IAADP. You are entitled to your opinion and it IS your opinion- NOT fact. You are not the authority on what is or isn't SD etiquette for every SD team and should not be telling people what the "standard" is- it's up to each person's SD organization to tell them what is acceptable in public. Didn't you train your own dog vs. getting him from an organization? Please don't throw around your opinion as fact. I am not the authority either but shared my opinion/experiences and don't appreciate your stating that it is wrong. I resent your implications that I could or should do things differently. In the long run it doesn't matter what you think of me or how I do things- but new SD partnerships need to have correct information and you are not the ultimate source for that information- their SD organization is. So far both myself and Laura ( whose children each have a SD also from a large and well-respected SD organization) have told you that we've NOT been told that giving our SD's water inside a restaurant is forbidden-so why do you keep repeating that it is? It's not fair to the OP who will be a new SD handler to offer your opinion as fact and dismiss both Laura and myself as wrong.---Kathy

OK, at this point, I think everyone should agree to disagree.

I have actually done restaurant evaluations in the past as a Public Health Nurse. Although pets are not allowed in restaurants, SDs are and I would not be concerned about a bowl being used for a SD and then washed in the commercial dishwasher of a restaurant. They used extremely hot water and stronger chemicals than are used in home dishwashers. The dishwasher has to be thorough enough to kill germs that get on preparation dishes from raw foods.

I would imagine many SD owners would bring their own water bowl in any case because they would be concerned about whether or not a suitable bowl would be available.

The thing that would not be allowed would be sending food that was brought in by the SD owner back to the kitchen for preparation or heating (and I doubt anyone would do it because I can't think of any reason why they would want to.) The same rules would apply to food brought in for humans; there are food safety rules about not mixing food from outside sources with the food provided by the restaurant.

To MsButterfly- I am involved with several SD internet groups and got my SD from a large and well-respected SD organization as well as belonging to IAADP. You are entitled to your opinion and it IS your opinion- NOT fact. You are not the authority on what is or isn't SD etiquette for every SD team and should not be telling people what the "standard" is- it's up to each person's SD organization to tell them what is acceptable in public. Didn't you train your own dog vs. getting him from an organization? Please don't throw around your opinion as fact. I am not the authority either but shared my opinion/experiences and don't appreciate your stating that it is wrong. I resent your implications that I could or should do things differently. In the long run it doesn't matter what you think of me or how I do things- but new SD partnerships need to have correct information and you are not the ultimate source for that information- their SD organization is. So far both myself and Laura ( whose children each have a SD also from a large and well-respected SD organization) have told you that we've NOT been told that giving our SD's water inside a restaurant is forbidden-so why do you keep repeating that it is? It's not fair to the OP who will be a new SD handler to offer your opinion as fact and dismiss both Laura and myself as wrong.---Kathy

You Go GIRL!!!:cool1: :cool1:

On my first Disney Cruise (in July 06) The wait staff had water(with ice) waiting under my table each night.
I'm a Service Dog Trainer(& I use one)

OK, at this point, I think everyone should agree to disagree.

Yes .......................;)

Disney050.jpg

To MsButterfly- I am involved with several SD internet groups and got my SD from a large and well-respected SD organization as well as belonging to IAADP. You are entitled to your opinion and it IS your opinion- NOT fact. You are not the authority on what is or isn't SD etiquette for every SD team and should not be telling people what the "standard" is- it's up to each person's SD organization to tell them what is acceptable in public. Didn't you train your own dog vs. getting him from an organization? Please don't throw around your opinion as fact.

Again, it is not MY opinion. It is etiquette standards for SDs that most SD handlers follow. (And, of course, the fakers don't usually follow it, like those who let their dogs sit on tables and eat off their plates!) Whether or not you want to believe or follow it is up to you, but it is fact that it is basic SD handler etiquette. I am surprised you have never been told it, especially if you are involved with SD organizations and groups.

No, I did not train my own dog myself. Not that it matters, as a service dog is a service dog if it has been trained to do tasks that mitigate the handler's disability, not if it has been trained by X or Y person.

I am not the authority either but shared my opinion/experiences and don't appreciate your stating that it is wrong. I resent your implications that I could or should do things differently. In the long run it doesn't matter what you think of me or how I do things- but new SD partnerships need to have correct information and you are not the ultimate source for that information- their SD organization is. So far both myself and Laura ( whose children each have a SD also from a large and well-respected SD organization) have told you that we've NOT been told that giving our SD's water inside a restaurant is forbidden-so why do you keep repeating that it is? It's not fair to the OP who will be a new SD handler to offer your opinion as fact and dismiss both Laura and myself as wrong.---Kathy

Organizations don't tell you everything. I know plenty of ppl with reputable organization dogs who don't know the laws well, don't know how to handle their dogs well enough, weren't taught well enough how to keep their dogs' training up (and therefore their dogs misbehave), etc. Etiquette isn't rules that'll have an organization repo a dog, but it is what most SD handlers have decided upon as a standard and do.

This has nothing to do with me, as I've stated before. It is simply how SD teams should act, according to basic etiquette guidelines that most SD handlers and such follow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter