Annual Reading Challenge--2020

Unholy Ground by Karen Ann Hopkins. Book 7 of the Serenity's Plain series, Serenity is a police officer in a rural community with a large Amish population and the series covers investigations she makes involving the Amish.
I will have to try this series. I love the Kate Burkholder series by Linda Castillo. Kate being raised Amish but left & became police chief.

Since my last update...

23/30 - Ross Poldark by Winston Graham
This is the first book in the Poldark series. My wife and I enjoyed the most recent Poldark TV series, and I decided to read the first book in the series. I really liked the book, and look forward to reading more entries in the series.

24 - Lost Attractions of the Smoky Mountains by Tim Hollis
This is a photo book showing pictures of past attractions in the Smokies area, with brief descriptions of each attraction. I like reading/viewing these type books every once in a while, and it was a nice way to revisit some past attractions I've been to, and many that were before my time.

25 - The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie
This is the first Christie book I have read, and I look forward to reading more of her work!

26 - Lost Attractions of Alabama by Tim Hollis
Similar to the other Lost Attractions book I read, except it looks at past Alabama attractions.

Since my last update...

23/30 - Ross Poldark by Winston Graham
This is the first book in the Poldark series. My wife and I enjoyed the most recent Poldark TV series, and I decided to read the first book in the series. I really liked the book, and look forward to reading more entries in the series.

I read the whole series last year. There’s quite a few books and takes the story through Ross and Demelza’s grown children. I recommend them as they are a much better ending than season 5 of Poldark, which was not based on any of the Winston Graham books.

21/30 A Goose Creek Christmas by Virginia Smith - Lots of quirky characters in this small hometown holiday season story. Very funny at times.

22/30 Killer Cupcakes by Leighann Dobbs - Bakery owner tries to solve her ex's murder in this cozy mystery that was easy to solve. Written like a YA book at times.

23/30 Just In Time for Christmas by Davalynn Spencer - Historical western Christmas romance where two friends find true love and a happily ever after.

40/25 The Love Story of Missy Carmichael by Beth Morrey

Missy is 79 years old, looking back on her life, her marriage, her regrets. But when things seem to be at their lowest point she begrudgingly acquires a dog, a job and a new group of friends.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. At times it had me laughing and other times crying. Her story is crafted well so by the end you really get the whole picture of her life. Definitely one of my favorites this year.

71. This I Know by Eldonna Edwards. I loved this book

Eleven-year-old Grace Carter has a talent for hiding things. She’s had plenty of practice, burying thoughts and feelings that might anger her strict Evangelical pastor father, and concealing the deep intuition she carries inside. The Knowing, as Grace calls it, offers glimpses of people’s pasts and futures. It enables her to see into the depth of her mother’s sadness, and even allows Grace to talk to Isaac, her twin brother who died at birth. To her wise, loving Aunt Pearl, the Knowing is a family gift; to her daddy, it’s close to witchcraft.

Grace can’t see into someone’s thoughts without their permission. But it doesn’t take her special talent to know that her small community is harboring its share of secrets. A young girl has gone missing. Within Grace’s own family too, the cracks are widening, as her sisters Hope, Joy, and Chastity enjoy the normal life that eludes Grace. It’s Grace’s kinship with other outsiders that keeps her afloat—Lyle, a gentle, homeless man, and Lola, a free-spirited new girl at school. But when her mother lapses into deep depression after bringing home a new baby, Grace will face a life-changing choice—ignore her gift and become the obedient daughter her father demands, or find the courage to make herself heard, even if it means standing apart…

65/60 Hush Little Baby by Suzanne Redfearn
Jillian Kane appears to have it all - a successful career, a gorgeous home, a loving husband, and two wonderful children. The reality behind closed doors is something else entirely. For nine years, she has hid the bruises and the truth of her abusive marriage in order to protect Addie and Drew, knowing, if she left, Gordon would destroy her-destroy them.

When, in an act of desperation, she flees, her worst nightmare is realized, and she finds herself on the run with her two young children, no money, and no plan. With Gordon in hot pursuit, there is only one inescapable certainty: No matter where she goes, he will find her. Kill her. And take her children

This was just ok for me. Not as good as the review makes it sound

41/25 It’s Always The Husband by Michele Campbell

Three girls meet as freshmen in college, three very different personalities. But one night someone ends up dead and the three women are tied together through life because of the secret they share.

I’m not a huge mystery lover but I thought this one seemed intriguing. The book felt like two different novels, one from when they were young, then when they are grown. Didn’t love it, as the characters were never really likeable. But it was a quick read.

84/80 The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan

Takes place in the UK. It’s about a librarian who lost her job and would like a happy ending. She buys a van and heads up to Scotland to run a bookshop from the van.

November:
#78/90: Squeeze Me by Carl Hiaasen (3.5/5) (humor fiction)

Hijinks ensue when a giant snake found on a Palm Beach venue near the President’s compound is responsible for the death of a rich woman.

Hiaasen is a very political writer and this may not be for everyone.

#79/90: Eli’s Promise by Ronald H. Balson (4/5) (historical fiction)

Told over three different timelines, the story of a Jewish man from Poland who is caught up in the Holocaust.

#80/90: Dead Center (Still Waters #2) by Dawn Lee McKenna and Axel Blackwell (4/5) (suspense)

Evan is the new sheriff in a sleepy Florida coastal town and is shocked about the stabbing murder in the local park. Before going much further in the investigation, another body shows up that has met the same fate. Now it is a race to find out what the victims had in common to solve the crime.

#81/90: Silence on Cold River by Casey Dunn (4/5) (suspense)

While on a run in the woods, Ama meets up with a man. She does not recognize him as the disturbed youth she defended years ago until it is too late and he abducts her. However, her disappearance is witnessed by Eddie, whose daughter went missing in the same area one year prior. He fights to not be accused of the disappearances while getting the local detective to search for the women.

Told from the viewpoint of several different characters.

#82/90: Her Last Flight by Beatriz Williams (3/5) (romantic historical fiction)

Photojournalist Janey is determined to find out what really happened to the flight pioneer Sam Malloy and write a book. She searches down his former flight partner Irene in Hawaii to learn the truth.

This is told in varying timelines. The author was inspired by Amelia Earhart.

#83/90: Home Work : A Memoir of My Hollywood Years by Emma Watson Hamilton and Julie Andrews (4/5) (memoir)

This starts with her work on Mary Poppins and goes through about 1980.

I did not realize how many different movies she worked on.

#84/90: This Time Next Year We Will Be Laughing by Jacqueline Winspear (3.5/5) (memoir)

She covers her family history, which reveals many inspirations for her Maisie Dobbs novels.

66/06 Angel Fire by Lisa Miscione (AKA Lisa Unger)
The bloody murder of her mother when she was a teenager made Lydia Strong into a woman obsessed with bringing brutal killers to justice. Now thirty years old, she is a reclusive bestselling true crime writer and investigative consultant whose intuitions never lie. The latest case to capture her attention is the disappearance of three adults, each the kind of loner whose sudden absence isn't missed-they have no family, few friends. The Santa Fe Police don't see a pattern, just three people who left their empty lives behind. But when another woman turns up missing, her apartment streaked with blood, even the police have to admit that something is wrong in their usually quiet town. Lydia and P.I. Jeffrey Mark, the ex-FBI agent who solved her mother's murder, begin a relentless investigation. But it is only when the killer ups the ante and goes after Lydia herself that, just like fifteen years ago when she put the FBI on the trail of her mother's killer, the real hunt begins...

I did not know until I had finished this book that Lisa Miscione & Lisa Unger are one and the same. Miscione is the maiden name & Angel Fire is Lisa's debut novel. I have read several of the 'Unger' books and enjoyed them.
That being said, I did not care for this one at all, it was very obvious it was a first novel, not well written at all & zero character developement. Supposed to be 3 more in this series but I will not be reading them.

I read 13 books in November, bringing my total for the year to 69.

57) Testosterone: An Unauthorized Biography by Katrina Karkazis & Rebecca Jordan-Young – Non-Fiction/Science. A debunking of what most people think testosterone is and an explaining of what it really is. The book looks at testosterone’s role is six areas: reproduction, aggression, risk-taking, power, sports, & parenting. 4/5.

58) A Black Women's History of the United Statesby Daina Ramey Berry & Kali N. Gross – Non-Fiction/History. Starting from the earliest Spanish exploration to today, this book focuses and emphasizes the roles that Black women have had in shaping this country. 4.5/5

59) Culture Warlords: My Journey Into the Dark Web of White Supremacy by Talia Lavin – Non-Fiction/Political Science. After repeatedly being the target of online antisemitism Lavin wanted to learn the intricacies of online white supremacist and other hate groups. 4.5/5

60) Let the People Pick the President: The Case for Abolishing the Electoral College by Jesse Wegman – Non-Fiction/Political Science. A history of the electoral college, starting with why we have it and moving to today. Followed by different ways we can move beyond it. 4.5/5

61) One Life by Megan Rapinoe & Emma Brockes – Memoir. Rapinoe’s memoir focusing on her activism. 5/5

62) Hopi Runners: Crossing the Terrain between Indian and American by Matthew Sakiestewa Gilbert – Non-Fiction/History. The book focuses on the 1880s to the 1930s, looking at the role of Hopi running in their traditional ceremonies, to Indian Residential Schools, all the way to the Olympics. 4/5

63) As Long as Grass Grows: The Indigenous Fight for Environmental Justice, from Colonization to Standing Rock by Dina Gilio-Whitaker – Non-Fiction/History/Environmentalism. The history of Indigenous’ fight for environmental justice, food & water security, and protection of scared sites. It highlights the leadership role of Indigenous women and argues that modern environmentalist needs to know this history in order to gin wisdom and inspiration for the continual fight. 4.75/5

64) Loving Sports When They Don't Love You Back: Dilemmas of the Modern Fan by Jessica Luther & Kavitha Davidson – Non-Fiction/Sports. From CTE, to abusers, to racist team names/mascots, to billionaire owners coercion local governments into spending taxpayer money on new stadiums, and beyond there are a lot of issues with sports. But there is also a lot that is good as well. This book looks at the issues and tries to see how both sports and we as fans can do better. 4.5/5

65) The Birchbark House by Louise Erdrich – Young Adult/Historical Fiction. The story follows a year in the life of Omakayas and her Ojibwe community in the mid-1800s. 4/5

66) Our History Is the Future: Standing Rock Versus the Dakota Access Pipeline, and the Long Tradition of Indigenous Resistanceby Nick Estes – Non-Fiction/History. A look at Indigenous resistance throughout history, with a focus on the Oceti Sakowin. 5/5

67) When the Light of the World Was Subdued, Our Songs Came Through: A Norton Anthology of Native Nations Poetry Edited by Joy Harjo – Poetry. This poetry collection has over 150 Indigenous poets from close to 100 different nations. The poems range from the late 17thcentury to the 21st century. 4.25/5

68) This Land Is Their Land: The Wampanoag Indians, Plymouth Colony, and the Troubled History of Thanksgiving by David J. Silverman – Non-Fiction/History. The history of Plymouth colony centering the Wampanoag. A look at what the “First Thanksgiving” was and wasn’t and what came after. 4.25/5

69) The City We Became by N. K. Jemisin – Urban Fantasy. Every city has a soul. Every city also has a dark side. Luckily, every city also has its protectors. 4.25/5

72. A Season of Angels by Debbie Macomber Meh. It was even a bit tof sickly sweet for Christmas

Last edited:
24/30 Organized For Christmas Wishes by Ritter Ames - Two friends try to solve the mystery of who is the town's Secret Santa. Quick read novella.

25/30 Table for One by Leah Atwood - Single blogger finds love with an engineer. Faith based.

26/30 Murder in Whistler by Dianne Harman - Cozy murder mystery set in Canada and Washington state.

27/30 Dicing Up Disaster by Emmie Lyn - Cozy Murder mystery set in Maine.
Hard to guess the killer.

#67/60 I Will Send Rain by Rae Meadows
Annie Bell can't escape the dust. It's in her hair, covering the windowsills, coating the animals in the barn, in the corners of her children's dry, cracked lips. It's 1934 and the Bell farm in Mulehead, Oklahoma is struggling as the earliest storms of The Dust Bowl descend. All around them the wheat harvests are drying out and people are packing up their belongings as storms lay waste to the Great Plains. As the Bells wait for the rains to come, Annie and each member of her family are pulled in different directions. Annie's fragile young son, Fred, suffers from dust pneumonia; her headstrong daughter, Birdie, flush with first love, is choosing a dangerous path out of Mulehead; and Samuel, her husband, is plagued by disturbing dreams of rain.

85/80. We Were the Lucky Ones by Georgia Hunter

It’s a tough read about conditions in Poland during WWII. Still, it’s based on the author’s family story about survival as Jews during that time. It’s an amazing story. 5 out of 5!

27/30 - The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie
Christie's first novel and the first one to feature Hercule Poirot. I look forward to reading more of Christie's work and am glad my library has most of her novels available as e-books.

28/30 - Images of America: Building the Blue Ridge Parkway by Karen J. Hall and FRIENDS of the Blue Ridge Parkway, Inc.
My wife and I visited portions of the Blue Ridge Parkway on our honeymoon and fell in love with the area. This pictorial history book includes many old photographs during the construction of various sections of the parkway. I really enjoyed reading/viewing this book.

Just found a really wonderful resource for all of us book lovers. NPR (National Public Radio) has a best books website where they track book recommendations from their reporters and editors. The site goes back several years and can be filtered by genre (or combination of genres) and year of publication. I just found many more books I am adding to my list. The site is at npr.org/bestbooks.

#16/25-The Cactus by Sarah Haywood-Quirky, amusing read similar to Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine.
#17/25- The Scent Keeper by Erica Bauermeister-Very intriguing premise all about scents, loved it until the end, felt abrupt and unfinished.

Unfortunately does not look like I will meet my reading goal by the end of the year- still waiting on some books that have been at the library on hold for a while.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter