Annual Pass - Renew or Wait

Itoddmickey

Earning My Ears
I have a trip at the end of my current AP in September, my next planned trip would not be until December, a few days short of 3 months. I believe the cost difference is $150, do I renew my pass to save or wait to push my valid pass date out 3 more months?

I guess it depends on what your plans are after December. My initial reaction is to renew - but if you can wait an extra 3 months to get an extra trip out of a new pass (perhaps something Oct/Nov of 2025?), they buy new in December. For a while, there was a concern (at least for us) that they'd stop selling new APs again, and only do renewals - but that concern doesn't seem to be as big of an issue at this point.

I guess it depends on what your plans are after December. My initial reaction is to renew - but if you can wait an extra 3 months to get an extra trip out of a new pass (perhaps something Oct/Nov of 2025?), they buy new in December. For a while, there was a concern (at least for us) that they'd stop selling new APs again, and only do renewals - but that concern doesn't seem to be as big of an issue at this point.
We have further plans after December, 3-4 trips a year. Didn't think about the potential removal of new APs, added point of risk I hadn't thought about. I look at it as being able to buy 4 APs to cover 5 years of trips if we go every 3 months or so. Thanks

We have further plans after December, 3-4 trips a year. Didn't think about the potential removal of new APs, added point of risk I hadn't thought about. I look at it as being able to buy 4 APs to cover 5 years of trips if we go every 3 months or so. Thanks
Sorry - didn't mean to give you one more thing to worry about with your decision!

My AP just expired but I do not have a trip until January at this time. It’s highly unlikely I’ll go before January. For some reason I hate to let it go. Should I skip the renewal discount and purchase a new AP?

My AP just expired but I do not have a trip until January at this time. It’s highly unlikely I’ll go before January. For some reason I hate to let it go. Should I skip the renewal discount and purchase a new AP?
The better question might be when will your next trip be after Jan? If you have more trips planned in the May to May calendar year, probably renew. If you have some planned next year after your current expiration (more Jan to Jan), then wait on the renewal, buy new, and you'll pay more but get more value - and have a new expiration date! And something to consider, if you do decide to buy a new AP - perhaps look to buy that sooner rather than later - it will be good for park reservations, but won't be activated until you'd use it in Jan. If you buy now, you avoid the threat of a price increase over the next 6 months.

The better question might be when will your next trip be after Jan? If you have more trips planned in the May to May calendar year, probably renew. If you have some planned next year after your current expiration (more Jan to Jan), then wait on the renewal, buy new, and you'll pay more but get more value - and have a new expiration date! And something to consider, if you do decide to buy a new AP - perhaps look to buy that sooner rather than later - it will be good for park reservations, but won't be activated until you'd use it in Jan. If you buy now, you avoid the threat of a price increase over the next 6 months.
Currently have trips planned January and March, plus June is always on the table. So I guess I’ll wait until after the 30 days to buy a new one, so it’ll cover all dates in June. Thank you.

We recently faced this same question. Our APs expired in late April. We will not be back to WDW until next January, followed by an October 2025 visit. We decided to wait the 30 days past expiration and then purchase AP vouchers to activate in January, rather than renewing. Getting both 2025 trips out of a single AP purchase was clearly a better option for us, at the risk that there would be a sudden change in availability that would prevent the purchase of new AP vouchers. This will get us back on a January AP-renewal cycle for the future. That’s where we were pre-pandemic, during which we let our APs lapse. We ended up having to purchase multi-day park hoppers for January 2023 and April 2023 stays. We used the January hoppers. When the Sorcerer passes became available in April 2023, we were able to apply the cost of our April 2023 ticket media to the AP purchase.

Currently have trips planned January and March, plus June is always on the table. So I guess I’ll wait until after the 30 days to buy a new one, so it’ll cover all dates in June. Thank you.

You don't have to wait to buy a new one. Vouchers have to be redeemed for an actual AP within a year for purchase. Once it is activated, the year of use starts.

So, if you buy the voucher today, you have one year to activate it...so, that means you would to go into he park for the first time, no later than June 15th, 2025 before it becomes just a credit.

Since you are going in January, you can buy today, because when you enter the park then, it will start the official clock! The pass will then be good from January 2025 until January 2026.

You don't have to wait to buy a new one. Vouchers have to be redeemed for an actual AP within a year for purchase. Once it is activated, the year of use starts.

So, if you buy the voucher today, you have one year to activate it...so, that means you would to go into he park for the first time, no later than June 15th, 2025 before it becomes just a credit.

Since you are going in January, you can buy today, because when you enter the park then, it will start the official clock! The pass will then be good from January 2025 until January 2026.
If you do this, please call AP Member Services and make sure that your APs are prioritized correctly in your account. This is something that they can seen on their side and change if needed, but you cannot.

I did this once. I had an activated AP (DVC Sorcerer's Pass with Photopass & Water Parks). I was planning to let it expire due to a few months gap between trips. But I went ahead and bought a new AP, not a renewal, locking in today's prices but not planning to activate it until multiple months after my previous one expired, but still well within 1 year from purchase.

Then I went on a trip where it should have used my currently activated AP. However, when I went to Typhoon Lagoon, it didn't use my currently activated AP. Instead, it automatically activated my new AP that I wasn't planning to activate for several months. It took a long time to try and sort it out with WDW. At first, I incorrectly assumed that they unactivated my AP. However, they just tacked on a couple of months to my new AP. Then when I took the trip that should have activated it, I realized it didn't give me a year from that date. I probably spent an hour a the Guest Relations desk in Magic Kingdom trying to get that resolved.

If you do this, please call AP Member Services and make sure that your APs are prioritized correctly in your account. This is something that they can seen on their side and change if needed, but you cannot.

I did this once. I had an activated AP (DVC Sorcerer's Pass with Photopass & Water Parks). I was planning to let it expire due to a few months gap between trips. But I went ahead and bought a new AP, not a renewal, locking in today's prices but not planning to activate it until multiple months after my previous one expired, but still well within 1 year from purchase.

Then I went on a trip where it should have used my currently activated AP. However, when I went to Typhoon Lagoon, it didn't use my currently activated AP. Instead, it automatically activated my new AP that I wasn't planning to activate for several months. It took a long time to try and sort it out with WDW. At first, I incorrectly assumed that they unactivated my AP. However, they just tacked on a couple of months to my new AP. Then when I took the trip that should have activated it, I realized it didn't give me a year from that date. I probably spent an hour a the Guest Relations desk in Magic Kingdom trying to get that resolved.

Good point!

Sorry - didn't mean to give you one more thing to worry about with your decision!
We've been afraid to let ours expire, after seeing what happened mid-to-post-COVID.
Many fellow DVCers were unable to buy new APs. Fortunately, we were able to renew ours, and have not let them lapse since.
Prior to COVID we also did the "AP-Shuffle", buying an AP in Late Jan of one year and using it through early Jan of the following year (staggering our stays between early & late Jan), then taking a Non-Park trip, and repeating that cycle.
There is no guarantee, however, that new APs will be available when you want them.

We've been afraid to let ours expire, after seeing what happened mid-to-post-COVID.
Many fellow DVCers were unable to buy new APs. Fortunately, we were able to renew ours, and have not let them lapse since.
Prior to COVID we also did the "AP-Shuffle", buying an AP in Late Jan of one year and using it through early Jan of the following year (staggering our stays between early & late Jan), then taking a Non-Park trip, and repeating that cycle.
There is no guarantee, however, that new APs will be available when you want them.
Neve say never, but it seems like to chances of APs being discontinued for 'new' purchase is very, very unlikely at this point. We also renewed through the pandemic to keep our passes. But I don't think I'd hesitate any longer to let it lapse and repurchase in the future if our schedule indicated that was the best way for us to spend our AP money!

Dumb question, but have you always had to call to renew a DVC annual pass?

I have never done it and am trying to do it on the website and on the app and it says 'the pass selected is currently unavailable'. I am trying to renew my sorcerers pass. I have until July to do so, but it doesn't make sense. Sorcerers pass is not an option in the drop down on the website but my current pass says it.

I have never done it and am trying to do it on the website and on the app and it says 'the pass selected is currently unavailable'. I am trying to renew my sorcerers pass. I have until July to do so, but it doesn't make sense. Sorcerers pass is not an option in the drop down on the website but my current pass says it.

Yes...all renewals have to be done either in person or via member services.

I had this exact same situation! I love these boards;)

Our AP expires in September and I am determined to NOT renew - LOL (COVID/NO AP offered PTSD). We renewed last year and was getting 8 days out of the AP, which I guess means we'd break even, but we rarely stay in the parks more than a few hours and, being G+ adverse, we don't do many rides. Although, to be completely fair even when we had the former FP system we rarely used more than 1 a day. I like walking around the parks but have less and less urge to experience the rides. Maybe Disney could introduce a reduced cost walking AP 🤣. Anyhoo, we squeezed in an early September trip. Then in November and February we're cruising and we're planning a trip to Ireland for Fall 2025 so renewing just doesn't make sense.

facebook twitter