Amy's New Start : Comments Welcome!

Hope you're having a WONDERFUL time in WDW, my friend!pixiedust: Don't forget to have a Grand Marnier Slush for me!:drinking1

Happy "1/2 way through your trip". I know you all are having a wonderfully magical time.

Don't worry, none of us will tell your sister. We'll keep it our little secret. ;)

Hope you're having a wonderful time, Amy!:cool1: Miss you and look forward to hearing all about your trip!:hug:

Enjoy the rest of your vacation!:wizard:

Thanks Ladies, our trip was wonderful! I literally cried this morning at 1:45 a.m. when we had to say goodbye to Magic Kingdom. The new castle show they do each night is awesome by the way. I must say, it was not fun to get back to POR at 2:30 then get up three hours later to catch our early flight but I wanted to do emh at MK and get in the last fun of the trip. We did a lot of late nights and they worked out well with the heat.

The whole trip went perfectly. We spent the first four days with our very good friends who love Disney like we do, said a sad goodbye to them that first Friday night and a happy hello to my brother and his family the next morning. The heat was intense but we did fine, my brother struggled with that but he still had fun. Dan and I got to spend a whole day alone with my nieces, my sil had a convention for two days over at CSR and we told my brother "take the day off" so he stayed at POR and relaxed and my kids went off and did their own thing, so Dan and I took the girls to AK all day. It was such fun. I used to do so many one on one things with my nephew while he was growing up but he lived close by. With my nieces being 1000

miles away, its been different so this was a real treat.

POR was wonderful as always, I think I just need to move there.

Now I am home, exhausted but wishing I could just go back. I can never get enough. Not sure when the next trip will be, we have to figure some things out and see what we think. We may have to skip next year altogether but I really want to take one last family vacation before ds heads off to the Marines in the spring of 2013. So we'll see but I am daring to hope maybe we can go next June.

I will catch up with all of you in the next day or so. I have a ton of laundry to do, bills and mail to catch up on and a lot of unpacking to do. And I am exhausted. We hit the parks harder than usual (still did a lot of relaxing too) and on more than one day we left the room early and got back 14+ hours later. I don't think we ever slept longer than a 6-7 hour stretch. I didn't want to waste the time sleeping. But now I am worn out!

I did pretty bad with food but I did drink a lot of water and walked a lot. So we'll see. I think I'll weigh on Friday morning to give my body time to readjust. My feet are super swollen and puffy so I'll let some of that water go on its merry way before I step on a scale!

Welcome back, WISH sis!!!:cool1:

I am SO glad to hear that you had a wonderful trip!!! :cloud9: Will you be doing a trip report or a highlights post? You know we'd love to hear about your trip!:goodvibes

Sending lots of :wizard::wizard: your way as you transition back to life at home. :hug:

Hope you have a wonderful day!:hug:

Glad you had another wonderful WDW trip! Sad to come home....as always!

How is it that your DS can be old enough already to be entering the marines that soon? SCARY!!!!

Heres some :wizard: for the weigh in!

Thanks Julie and Tracy. Sorry I have not been around in awhile. Its funny, I love coming on here but just don't seem to get on much anymore. I have no idea why!

I have not offically weighed in yet. According to my bathroom scale which is notorious for being off, I am up about five pounds. I have been very spotty with food and have not exercised once since I got home. I got horrible blisters one day which means only flip flops until they are gone. Thankfully they just about are. Its funny, it happened the day we pulled a 12 hour, no break day to Animal Kingdom and Epcot and literally as we got off the bus and headed back to our room I felt them and by the time we got up there and I got my shoes off there were four huge ones on the back of my heel and two on my big toes. They must have started earlier, I just never felt them. Ds also got blisters this time as well as some bug bites that got all infected. The doctor said he had a bad case of Disney Feet!

So I am a bit bummed. I thought maybe at long last I might have a job possibility. It was at a Christian pre school, working with two year olds. I used to be group leader qualified but now the state of Colorado has changed those qualifications. I am now about 500 hours short on my working time and the college credits I need I don't have. It used to be my college credits in Elementary Education worked fine, now as of 2010 they don't. I mean this is basically babysitting two year olds and just getting started on having them be able to be in a group outside of home and its like $9 an hour for about 10-15 hours a week. But I am not qualified. They want over 3500 hours of work experience and even with working full time for 9 full months and part time for two years, I don't have enough hours. And all that experience was with kids aged 18 months to three years. I cannot believe I am not qualified but I am not. So much for that, maybe an aide position will open up although most schools want aides to be group leader as well so that if the teacher is out, they can cover. Another dead end. Even if get the experience, I'll have to take some college courses to get that done. And right now Dan and I cannot afford that and frankly I don't see why I should spend that money for a $9 an hour part time job.

Dan is in Floridia right now on business and I am hoping to use the evenings to get caught up on stuff I never get done. Like sort some of our photos and also complete the last of our family Disney trip reports. I don't do reports on disboards anymore but I do have a big book I keep up (or try to) of our Disney trips. Dd loves to read them and even though its sort of silly I like to do it. I used to send them to my brother to read but all he did was make fun of them so now its just me and dd to read them! Anyway, I have quite a few trips missing but I have the notes and between those and my pictures on file I can reconstruct the days very well. I also have a really good memory, once I get started it all just flows back to me. I can't remember a darn thing at home but my Disney trips stick with me!

I am so proud of dd. She has worked last week and this week doing all day babysitting. She made $280 :thumbsup2 and we were $277 short for her mission trip. I feel horribly guilty that I somehow could not get this trip paid for but Dan swears all the band trips he took in jr and sr. high he paid for himself by fundraising and mowing yards and they meant more. There will still be expenses for her food on the road and she needs some more clothes and we can cover that but for the most part it was her babysitting, butter braid sales and dh's aunt and cousin and my cousin in Texas who made this work.

Ds meanwhile sleeps, works out, eats and texts his friends. He wants a summer job but hasn't been able to find one. Gee wouldn't it be funny if he did and dd continues to babysit. Then even my kids will have gainful employment while I sit her scratching my head trying to figure out how to find work and wondering what I'll be when I grow up!

Its funny, I love coming on here but just don't seem to get on much anymore. I have no idea why!

...I sit her scratching my head trying to figure out how to find work and wondering what I'll be when I grow up!

Wow! You can I could be clones!!! I keep telling my kids that I'm still trying to decide what I want to be when(if) I grow up! And Ditto on DIS.

It's not a bad thing that your daughter is earning for camp. I think it's AWESOME! A good lesson and she will appreciate it a bit more knowing that she has earned it.

Hope today is a good one!

Thanks Julie, if I ever decide what I want to be when I grow up, I'll be sure and let you know!:rotfl:

I do think dd is proud and will get more from this trip because she paid for over half of it. And she's really enjoyed babysitting these two little boys. Anything that sort of draws her out of shyness shell and gives her some confidence is good in my book!

So today Tracy/Toystoryduo sent me a link to a thread currently going on the community board. Basically someone posted she had a friend who had been in the midst of a very long struggle to lose weight and was beyond frustrated (can we all relate or what) and she asked her doctor for advice. He told her "walk three miles every day". She asked if she needed to change her diet and he just kept saying "walk three miles every day". So she did and she has lost 83 pounds (I think in roughly a year maybe). This whole story made me think abodut my mom. Who did just that, walked at the mall 6 days a week for 3-4 miles each time and lost 65 pounds in a year. She didn't stress about what she ate, she didn't give up margaritas at her favorite Mexican place, she didn't worry about carbs, she didn't do any other type of exercise and she didn't join Weight Watchers or any such thing. She walked six days a week. Doing that gave her another six years past what the doctor thought she'd get when she got sick and the doctors were always convinced it was because she was a walker and was in such good shape.

Its funny. I always believe God gives us little clues and tidbits but we have to be looking for them or at least ready to pay attention to them! Just yesterday I posted on here on Denise's and Tracy's journal yesterday that I think its easy to make weight loss complicated. I really thought about this last night, thought about my mom and her approach years ago to losing weight and it was like, "I need to start walking". I like the aquasize too but in the end, walking is my favorite form of exercise. And right now my rec center can't seem to keep or find aqua instructors so you never know when class will be held. Whereas with walking, its always available. So tonight when I take ds to karage at the rec center, I am going to do three miles. And start doing that every darn day but Sunday. Then today, Tracy sends me this link about this woman who walked and only walked and its like "hmmn, maybe God is trying to tell me something". My mom always said I made my weight loss too complicated and extreme and that was why I never lost weight and kept it off. She was probably right.

That thread is over on the community board by a poster named C.ann and I think its titled "who knew". Lots of interesting comments and stories.

I went out for Mexican last night with my stepdad and his girlfriend and ate way too much and just felt miserable all night. So today needs to be better. Obviously I am going to have to be careful and not binge above all along with the walking I AM GOING TO DO EVERY DAY BUT SUNDAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Stepdad looked like he was 101 years old. He got into a car accident earlier this week and I really feel his sons need to take the keys away from him. But I say nothing because if I do, that will just make them more likely to not do that. He can't see to read a menu, ds walked right up to him and he couldn't make out it was him and he can't hear a darn thing. But he drives all over the place. I really worry he's going to hurt someone one of these days. :sad2:

Oh WISH sis!:hug:

Isn't God AMAZING?!?!:thumbsup2 I love that He sent all of those confirmations your way!:goodvibes Your plan to walk 6 days a week is a good one! :goodvibes That's what we are doing with the WATP program. We are gradually working our way up to consistent 2 and 3 mile walks and beyond. I love it! :goodvibes

I'm so sorry to hear about your stepdad's accident. :( How is he doing? I hope his sons realize what is going on sooner than later for his safety and those around him. Sending prayers!

I hope you have a wonderful evening, Amy!:hug: If you get a chance, please let us know how your first 3 mile walk went!:thumbsup2

Tracy, stepdad is fine, in fact he and his girlfriend are coming over for dinner tonight. I do very much believe he should not drive anything out past his complex but its not my call. I just pray the next accident (and I know there will be one) is like this one with nobody getting hurt. Getting old is tough and its even tougher when you have a stubborn man and two sons who really kid themselves about their dad's situation.

I walked at long last today. Been home two weeks, its been one week since I decided to do the "3 miles 6x per week" plan but better late than never. I had to stop at 35 minutes, I could feel a blister coming on. So I literally stopped on that track, got my shoes off and got down to to the locker room to put on my flip flops I had brought. I need to use Blister Shield tomorrow.

I have had such a hard time getting back into the swing of things since we got home. Missing my brother and his family, missing the trip, the anticipation of a trip and just realizing how many decisions Dan and I need to make about a lot of things. We have a lot of decisions to make, please say a prayer we have the wisdom to make the right ones!

Monday is our 19th anniversary, Dan is going to take a vacation day and we may try to go to the local pool and just spend the day relaxing and talking through all that we have going on.

I was so down yesterday as was Dan but then he opened the mail and there was a certicate from ds' school, he made honor roll! I was so proud as we all were. Dd was a good sport, for some reason for the first time ever, she just slacked off and came out of her last quarter with a 2.2 gpa.:confused3 I told her that is her one and only get out of jail free card with grades and not to pull that stunt again. It really brought down her overal GPA, she still finished the year with over a 3.0 but I was just irriated with her and me. I typically don't keep too close a tab on her since she's always spot on. I should have known all that time on facebook and texting her friends was takign time away from her homework! Lesson learned. I think seeing her brother make honor roll was a wakeup call. She doesn't like coming in behind him with grades!

I forgot to add earlier that food has been spotty but Monday and Tuesday were much better and so far today has been good. Just slowly getting back on track and I did weigh in today and I am up 5 pounds from a month ago. Really need to get that off soon. Apparently taking a full month off is not the brightest idea around but hopefully I can get back on quicker than I normally seem to after a vacation.

Sending a :hug: and lots of prayers your way, WISH sis.

Congrats to your DS on making the honor roll!!!!:cool1::banana::yay::woohoo:

Happy Anniversary to you and Dan!:lovestruc Enjoy your special day together on Monday!:goodvibes

Have a blessed weekend, my friend!:hug:

Tracy, thanks for checkingin. Once again I am just absent around here for way too long.

This past week has been hectic, we are having plumbing issues. The hot water tap will not turn off in the master tub. We got a plumber out and the only way he can fix it is to rip out part of the tub surround to access the pipes under the faucet. We have a policy through our mortgage to cover plumbing and appiance repairs and replacement but they are always loathe to approve anything with plumbing. Basically we have had to manually turn on and off the hot water valve in the basement anytime we want to take a shower or use hot water to wash dishes or clothes while the plumber haggles with the home warranty people. Finally just call a call that the work is approved, they'll have to rip out some of the tile and the plumber will put in a trap door so that if this happens again it will be easy to fix it. Dan at some point will have to replace some fo the tile but at least we will now have hot water again when we turn on the faucets! Right now I am washing clothes in cold water and I have to wash dishes by hand since the dishwasher will only run if the hot water is on and I don't feel like wasting hundreds of gallons of water (that is heated no less so wasting electricity too). In some ways I like washing dishes, takes me back to my childhood at my grandmother's house!

Dd is home from her mission trip to Nashville and she had a great experience. She got to work in a Feed the Children warehouse, organize and hand out school supplies for teachers in really needy areas, work with disadvantaged kids at a community center and they had nightly worship with kids from all over the country. She came home tired but really feeling like she got to do something for a week of her life. She is dying to go to this Chrisitian university in Nashville where they stayed but I looked at the tuition and about had a heart attack! I told her to work hard because scholarships are out there. I cannot believe dd is of the age where we are talking about this but hopefully seeing that college will make her stay steady and keep working hard. She goofed off way too much last semester and she can't do that and get into the college of her choice!

Food has been pretty bad, exericse non existant. I am still determined to start walking 3 miles at least five times a week and I think a fresh start is on my horizon! As is so often the case, a vacation got me off track and its taking me way, way too long to back on track. I have toyed with joining Weight Watchers yet again, but in the end, I don't want to spend the money, I am not too keen on the new program and I can't rely on outside forces to make the inside of my mind and heart and do what it needs to do. I need to get on here more or at least journal daily what I eat and feel where food is concerned. I know what I need to do, I just need to do it!

Well you have had a busy summer my friend. I am so happy that your trip was so magically wonderful. We all need that. And spending time with your brother's family was icing.

Congrats on DS making honor roll. I know the struggles there. Hopefully he will keep it up and I'll bet DD won't be slipping again. Gotta keep ahead of her DB. :thumbsup2

Sounds like DD really enjoyed her mission trip. I used to love those. Spending a week with friends and doing things for others, it just makes you feel good inside.

Have you been walking? After I read what you wrote (I am going to check out the thread you mentioned) it makes a lot of sense. Your body is used to a certain amount and type of food. You begin exercising which burns calories and if you change/decrease what you are eating also then you might make your body begin hoarding calories instead of burning them. Which is why you don't lose. Does that make sense? So if you walk and yet eat the same, you are going to lose. I guess you should still watch what you eat, (salt, sugar and stuff) but not to go to the extreme. I still think you need something else, but then I am quite partial to Zumba Abs and Palto. ;)

Thanks Lisa, its so good to see you!

So this week was back on track time and I am happy to say I did pretty well on that front. I started reading the six week WATP book that Tracy read and really like it. I got in three workouts this week, two walks and one aquasize. I do agree with Lisa that I need something else and for me that is definitely aquasize. I love the toning exercises and being in the water. I am just not comfortable with any other type of group exercise at this weight and rather than fight that I just intend to do what I like and feel good about. There are other classes I can always try out when I want to. Zumba and Yoga are the top two but again, I am just not there yet physically or mentally.

I am sad to say I have put on a lot of weight this summer. I fear I may have gained back all but a couple of my 16 pounds. This is the second time in a year I have done that. Going on vacation both times was the culprit of getting me off track. I guess its good I am not going anywhere until next June!

Today as I walked I added up in my head just the "major" weight loss victories I have accomplished (all of which have been gained back). Here they are:
1995: Lost 22 pounds (just in time to get pregnant with dd ;))
1997: Lost about 15 pounds
1998: Lost 30 pounds
2006/07: Lost 33 pounds
2010: Lost 16 pounds
2011: lost 16 pounds.

There are many more, pretty much each year I would join WW and lose weight but those are the ones that stick out. If you add that up its a total of 132 pounds. Which in some way made me feel good. Like I just said in another journal, what can be done once (or in this case many times lol) can be done again. Clearly I have some work on sticking to the long haul nature of weight loss. I just don't feel that God put me on this earth to be fat and miserable.

So for now I am doing the WATP book. I am going to do as the book instructs which is focus on getting back into exercise. I'll watch what I eat but I am not going to count calories, points or anything else. Just try to east sensible and see what happens. I really respect and like Leslie Sansone and her approach feels right to me right now.

I also am going to try to get on here more. I have to be honest, its sort of sad to come on here and see so little activity not only on my journal but everyone else's! I do have to say, I miss all my Wish Sisters and the daily contact we used to have. Maybe it will pick up around here. If not I may just subsribe to my journal and everyone elses and post as others come on. So many of my buddies are not around anymore and it makes me sad!

I also intend to keep up with my personal journal and really track my progress, success, struggles and thoughts with this journey. Its a mental thing as much or more than a physical thing.

I am ready for the kids to go back to school and excited for getting this thing done again, once and for all!

I just don't feel that God put me on this earth to be fat and miserable.

No he did NOT!

What is the name of the book you all are reading? Is it just WATP? or something else?

Come on Amy. We can do this. I know we can and you know we can. Let's start walking.

Amy, I just wanted to pop in and let you know that I miss seeing our friends on here also. I'm guessing everyone has been busy with summer stuff like family and picnics and trips so something is going to take the back burner and for women and moms its usually us.

Just so you know...you and my other Wish friends are always in my thoughts and heart even though I may not post regularly. You have all been a wonderful support system for me through my cancer treatments, in some ways even more than friends that I've had for a very long time.

Let's all make a renewed vow to get back on here and make ourselves a priority. I can't post on my own journal or others right now cause I have to get ready for work, but tomorrow is my day off and I'm going to be back then.

I think I may join the Leslie Sansone group. I checked out Comcast On Demand and it has 4 of her workouts.

Hang in there Amy-I will be here for you and would love to see the Wish boards as active as it used to be.

I miss our WISH buddies too, my friend!:hug: Maybe once summer winds down, we'll all be able to get on journals a bit more.

I'm so glad to hear that you love the WATP book!:goodvibes I haven't been doing as many walks as I would like, but I know I can always return to WATP!:goodvibes

Girl, I am right there with you on the weight loss thing. :hug: We just need to keep moving forward and doing the best that we can each day. ::yes:: We CAN do this!:cheer2:

Have a wonderful Wednesday!:hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter