• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Amount of walking?

Marvelgeek82

Earning My Ears
Just curious, my husband and I just returned from Disneyland. We obviously walked a LOT (learned some lessons about shoes and blisters. Lol).

In your experience on cruises, how much walking is there? Obviously the ship is large, but I’m guessing you’re not walking back and forth all day? (Unless you CHOOSE to).

Was wondering if anybody ever looked at how many steps or how tired they were from walking?

I love that you asked this question. It's funny since we also just got back from Disneyland and I spent the back half of that trip looking forward to our upcoming cruise because my expectation is it will be a lot less physically grueling! A day of parkhopping can easily pass 10 miles; I'm actually surprised to see that people's cruise data is as much as it is, my perception is we walk a lot less on the cruise. I think it also makes a big difference that much of your walking onboard is indoors vs in the blazing SoCal sun.

I love that you asked this question. It's funny since we also just got back from Disneyland and I spent the back half of that trip looking forward to our upcoming cruise because my expectation is it will be a lot less physically grueling! A day of parkhopping can easily pass 10 miles; I'm actually surprised to see that people's cruise data is as much as it is, my perception is we walk a lot less on the cruise. I think it also makes a big difference that much of your walking onboard is indoors vs in the blazing SoCal sun.
Well as you say it is a lot less than parks. At Disney World I am usually doing 20,000 steps or more. But on the cruise I am pretty active too. Lots of criss crossing the ship forward to aft to get to activities, dining, shows etc. And of course at Castaway Cay we walk a lot between he various beach areas. You probably could do a lot less—just find a lounger by the pool and relax all day. But I think we feel we paid for a disney cruise for a reason and want to experience all the entertainment so that means a lot of walking to different venues on the ship.

Depending on where your stateroom is vs. where the things you want to do are, it could be quite a bit of walking. Plus if you get off at any of the stops, you could be walking a lot there. We walked around Nassau for a few hours and walked out to the observation tower on Castaway Cay. It adds up to some steps, but not at the same level as a day at Walt Disney World.

I agree with what everyone else said — not nearly as much walking as in the parks, probably not even half unless you make a real effort to get those steps in or are on a walking-heavy excursion.

Funny related story: In the summer 2016 I was on the Magic for the England-Scotland-Iceland-Norway-Denmark itinerary, which was possibly the best trip of my life BTW. The sea day from Scotland to Iceland was REALLY rough. My traveling companion spent about 24 hours our cabin because she felt so seasick, and her step counter literally said 1 step for the whole day even though she definitely moved around the cabin more than that (not much, but more than 1 step). I felt fine and explored the ship a little — trivia, movies, Cove Cafe, nothing too active — and my step counter said I'd climbed 80 flights of stairs that day, which was absolutely not accurate but because the ship was rocking SO MUCH it read as going up and down flights of stairs even when I was walking on a flat surface.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter