Americans and Canadians culture Q&A Thread.

Canadians do you get annoyed at being called Canucks? I get annoyed at the British calling us Yanks. :confused3

Canadians do you get annoyed at being called Canucks? I get annoyed at the British calling us Yanks.
Well, it doesn't bother me. I use it in my user name. I can't think of when I would ever hear it spoken though, as @ronandannette already mentioned.

I think the term "Yanks" comes from a different place than "Canucks." I get the impression that calling an American a "Yank" is much more of a derogative term. The term "Canuck" is a friendly term that we call ourselves, so yeah, completely different in my mind.

Same, I don’t think I’ve ever been called a Canuck. More a pepper, which is very derogatory. An ugly term used for French people, and I’m not even French. 😂
What is your heritage if you don’t mind me asking? I thought almost everyone in Montreal has a French ancestor.

Well, it doesn't bother me. I use it in my user name. I can't think of when I would ever hear it spoken though, as @ronandannette already mentioned.

I think the term "Yanks" comes from a different place than "Canucks." I get the impression that calling an American a "Yank" is much more of a derogative term. The term "Canuck" is a friendly term that we call ourselves, so yeah, completely different in my mind.
The British created the term to degrade us during the 7 Years War. We created the song to mock them back during the War of Independence.
Also Chester was a response to it as well:

What is your heritage if you don’t mind me asking? I thought almost everyone in Montreal has a French ancestor.

I don’t mind. I do have French in my family, but I am not. My Great-Grandfather (mom’s side) was born in Ireland, my Grandmother (same side) was 1/2 Irish and 1/2 Micmac. My Father had a Scottish name, but was adopted, and never knew his real birth family.
Montreal has a very large Irish community. Any port city does.

I don’t mind. I do have French in my family, but I am not. My Great-Grandfather (mom’s side) was born in Ireland, my Grandmother (same side) was 1/2 Irish and 1/2 Micmac. My Father had a Scottish name, but was adopted, and never knew his real birth family.
Montreal has a very large Irish community. Any port city does.
Quite incorrect. As is borne out in Mommasita's post above, almost 35% of Montreal's population come from backgrounds that are clearly Anglo and that doesn't take into account anyone who would identify their background as some other English-speaking ethnicity or from non-French or English backgrounds.
1649805759931.png

Quite incorrect. As is borne out in Mommasita's post above, almost 35% of Montreal's population come from backgrounds that are clearly Anglo and that doesn't take into account anyone who would identify their background as some other English-speaking ethnicity or from non-French or English backgrounds.
View attachment 662136

If I saw you I would kiss you 😘

If you mean having a very European feel I think the closest we would have are some of the smaller cities like Solvang.
There are a variety of small towns (or pockets of areas in various larger cities/areas) that have large pockets of either European immigrants or did at some point and kept the tradition alive.

In Kansas that would be likely Lindsborg (less than 4,000 people as of 2020 census) that is well known for it's Scandinavian heritage especially Sweden, the common nickname is "Little Sweden". While I haven't been there (it's just under 3 hours from me) I've seen their Svensk Hyllningsfest (held since 1941 and subsequently every odd years so last one was 2021 next one is 2023) advertised often enough in various travel sites/magazines for areas around me. I'm pretty sure AAA magazine has featured it at some point. It's a festival to celebrate the Swedish heritage but brings visitors around to what is probably an otherwise very sleepy town in terms of outside visitors.

Granted Joe Biden is the oldest president we've ever had, by like 8 years. Trump second oldest. We're usually more in the 50s-60s range. The previous three were 47, 54, and 46 when elected (I didn't realize Bill Clinton was that young when he entered office - he seemed old to me, but I was only 5).
There are a few notable things with Clinton that I remember growing up (his scandal, his trade opening with China, etc) but one thing I always seem to think about Clinton was him playing his saxophone, he was for the most part one of our most chill presidents.

IDK how it is in Canada in terms of aging while serving but in the U.S. it's a good thing we have term limits on presidents. When is the last time y'all looked at how quickly the presidents age while in office? Poor Obama I feel aged so fast.

It has been something that has been talked about in recent years having an upper age limit, I think we're still maybe a generation or two from that happening though. The last election did really bring that to the forefront though given Choice A and Choice B were both of advanced enough age.

Canadians, do places like Montreal do anything special for Holy Week?

The City doesn’t as a whole. The Oratory does, the Basilica, Mary Queen of the World Cathedral, etc. everything is open tomorrow but Sunday major stores are closed, grocery stores are closed, pharmacies are open, and small deps (corner stores). Nice 😊
I actually took tomorrow off, and am off to Magog for the long weekend with friends. My sister has Covid 🙄, so naturally she’s sicker and worse than anyone else.. ever 🙄🙄

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter