American DVC with canadian guests

glencoe

DIS Veteran
I have invited some Canadian friends who billeted my son for hockey to stay in our DVC villa this Aug. There seems to be some differences with magic bands, tickets etc. when they log on their computer vs. me the american iep address.

Although I am a big disney planner and got alot down pat, this is a bit perplexing for me. How is the Canadian experience different? How can I help them? Since they are on my plans under MDE will their magic bands come to me? What about the luggage tags for ME? Can I then ship it to them (they might be flying out of buffalo).

Thanks for any help with this!!

I have invited some Canadian friends who billeted my son for hockey to stay in our DVC villa this Aug. There seems to be some differences with magic bands, tickets etc. when they log on their computer vs. me the american iep address.

Although I am a big disney planner and got alot down pat, this is a bit perplexing for me. How is the Canadian experience different? How can I help them? Since they are on my plans under MDE will their magic bands come to me? What about the luggage tags for ME? Can I then ship it to them (they might be flying out of buffalo).

Thanks for any help with this!!

Disney will not ship Magic Bands outside of the US. I believe this is due to restrictions on the commercial import of RFID tags (ie. they would need approval in each country). Instead, they will pick up their Magic Bands at the front desk on check-in, which means that they do need to go to the front desk, even if they check in online in advance. Alternatively they could have them shipped in advance to a US address (yours or otherwise), but it's usually not worth the hassle. If they are flying out of Buffalo and really want the bands in advance, a border pick-up location might be easier than shipping through you. That assumes that they have their own MDE account configured. If they are "managed guests" on your account, you will get all of the magic bands anyway. (Just "planning together" by linking MDE accounts won't automatically mean you receive their magic bands.)

Otherwise the differences are minimal. They will still receive the yellow baggage tags, shipped to whatever address is given when they (or you on their behalf) register for the Magical Express. If they are flying out of the US or any major Canadian airport, they will tag their bags and see them again at the resort, just as a US resident would. (If they fly out of a smaller Canadian airport that does not have US customs pre-clearance, they would have to at least temporarily pick up their bags in Orlando, but that would be a very small percentage of Canadian travellers.) They can use the confirmation letter that comes with the luggage tags to check into ME if they don't have their magic bands.

If they fly back directly into Canada, they will not be able to use Resort Check-in, and their ME pickup time will be 4h in advance instead of 3h.

The only other thing I can think of is that if they bought discounted Canadian Resident tickets, they will need to be validated (show proof of Canadian residence or Canadian passport) at Guest Services before entering the park. They would have received those instructions when purchasing the tickets.

Hope you and your guests have a great time!

Disney will not ship Magic Bands outside of the US. I believe this is due to restrictions on the commercial import of RFID tags (ie. they would need approval in each country). Instead, they will pick up their Magic Bands at the front desk on check-in, which means that they do need to go to the front desk, even if they check in online in advance. Alternatively they could have them shipped in advance to a US address (yours or otherwise), but it's usually not worth the hassle. If they are flying out of Buffalo and really want the bands in advance, a border pick-up location might be easier than shipping through you. That assumes that they have their own MDE account configured. If they are "managed guests" on your account, you will get all of the magic bands anyway. (Just "planning together" by linking MDE accounts won't automatically mean you receive their magic bands.)

I was wondering about the magic bands because I had a large group trip last year where everyone was on my mde account and staying in my villa....all magic bands were shipped to me even though they had their own MDE accounts and linked their own tickets. I was wondering if the same thing would happen that they would be shipped to me...thanks for the info!!! Looking forward to the fun!!!

Otherwise the differences are minimal. They will still receive the yellow baggage tags, shipped to whatever address is given when they (or you on their behalf) register for the Magical Express. If they are flying out of the US or any major Canadian airport, they will tag their bags and see them again at the resort, just as a US resident would. (If they fly out of a smaller Canadian airport that does not have US customs pre-clearance, they would have to at least temporarily pick up their bags in Orlando, but that would be a very small percentage of Canadian travellers.) They can use the confirmation letter that comes with the luggage tags to check into ME if they don't have their magic bands.

If they fly back directly into Canada, they will not be able to use Resort Check-in, and their ME pickup time will be 4h in advance instead of 3h.

The only other thing I can think of is that if they bought discounted Canadian Resident tickets, they will need to be validated (show proof of Canadian residence or Canadian passport) at Guest Services before entering the park. They would have received those instructions when purchasing the tickets.

Hope you and your guests have a great time!

How do they get the canadian resident tickets? Is there a good discount for those?

I am not sure if they are still available, but I got mine on the Disney web site. I know it is pretty clear she to the park nd of the availability, if not already past the date

How do they get the canadian resident tickets? Is there a good discount for those?

Unfortunately, the sale is over. They ran it twice over two consecutive years to attract Canadians due to our low dollar. I hope they bring it back this Fall as I doubt the exchange rate will improve significantly.

Ask if they are Air Miles Collectors. If so, they may be able to get free tickets through airmiles if they have enough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!