All American BBQ

Andrew_Lubow

DIS Veteran
I haven't been to the All American BBQ in a long while. Has anyone done it recently?? Opinions appreciated.

Hi !,
We attended in March. Frankly, on a scale of 0-10 it was a 3. I would have given it a 4 or 5, but when I weigh in the cost, at its best, its a 3.

We usually do the Hoop-Dee-Doo Review (a 10), but on this trip we thought we would try something differant, so in early February I called and got priorty seating for the BBQ. I even took my 2 boys and bought them cowboy boots and hats. Here is my list of +'s and -'s.

1) It was an absolute mob scene, waiting in line to check in, and get an arm band for the beer and wine. Even if you don't drink, you still have to go through the line and check in.

2) Then you must go in another LONG line and wait to be admitted, which really is the feeding trough line (yes trough ! as that is what it reminded me of)

3) the food was OK, but nothing special. Hot dogs, ribs, macc. and cheese, cornbread, beans, salad etc.

4) Seating is on Picnic tables, even though we were there an hour ahead of schedule, we were waaayyyy back in the feeding line and when it was time to sit, we had trouble finding a table to fit our party of 7. We had to kindly ask some people to reshuffle to fit us.

5) Needless to say, the beer and wine service was waaaayyyy over yonder, sooooo I put my food down, walked waaaaayyyy over yonder, waited in line (again), returned to my seat (which was occupied by someone else who had simply moved my plate to the middle of the table, I asked them to find somwhere else to sit, and sat to eat my (now cold) food.

6) Now the characters come out. Albeit, the charcter interaction is good to excellant, the lines for the photo op. with the western dressed charcters were again, long.

7) Later, the band came out and gave lessons in line dancing, but the dance floor was sooooo crowded, it was nearly impossible to dance and have a good time.

These impressions are my experience, and opinions. Being a Disney nut, it is hard for me to be critical, but on the BBQ I am. I don't understand why it is held only twice a week (Tues, and Thurs), then they pack you in like sardines. If it was held nightly, and with smaller crowds (20% smaller), and with reserved (picnic) tables, it would have HUGE potential. For next March, Hoop-Dee-Doo is back on our schedule.

Hope I was of some help.......

Hi, we've been to the BBQ a couple of times and really enjoyed it. The only line that seemed to be long was the one where you check in. Even so, there were people there to entertain the kids with games and rope tying. My kids enjoyed it.

The character interaction was fun - they were all dressed in western wear and tried very hard to pull the kids on to the dance floor. My 8 year old son danced with Minnie Mouse - it was definately the highlight of the night!

We found the food to be about the same as the food at most Disney restaurants. It was an all you can eat buffet. Even though there wasn't a great deal of variety, it was good.

Try it - it's a lot of fun.

Lisa

We are going to this in August and I'm wondering how early you can get there? When do they start letting you in? Do you go directly from the admission line to the food line? Can one member of your party go and get seats? How do you go about paying? Is it already charged on your credit card beforehand?
Sorry for all the questions but these experiences just opened up a can of worms in my head! Thanks in advance!

When you make a priority seating reservation, they take a credit card number, and will be charged once you check in. Suggested time of arrival is 1 hour before the event. When you arrive there is a check in station, check in and they will ask for ID, and issue arm bands for everyone over 21 in your party (for serving alcoholic beverages). Once you clear the check in line, you are directed to the admission/serving line. They let you in to the area at the specific opening time, the admission line is then led through the buffet area. Now if someone in your party wants to jump out of the line and get a seating area, I guess that is OK, but they would have to go back to the end of the line. The line albeit long, does move along as there are 4 serving buffets.

Hope this answers all your questions. If not, just re-post

Thanks DVCDAVE! You have been very helpful.
Just one clarification: Do you stay in line after check in or does everyone mill about after they've been cleared? Then does everyone enter all at once or in the same line as they were in previously? Meaning does one line feed into the next line? I'm sure this is probably exactly what you just explained to me but I wanted to make sure I understood it correctly.
I'm thinking that if I'm not truly ravenous I may jump the line and have a seat. After all that waiting in lines a seat would look better than food at that point! Then I can meander through at my own pace without starving people breathing down my neck! LOL
Thanks again!

After you check in, they direct you to the admission/ food line. It is a 'controlled' admission, so it would be difficult to jump that line, they open up the gate, and control the crowd so the admission line then steps ahead down a short path and becomes the feeding trough line.

So...from the check-in line you follow behind the same people into the admission line until they open the gates then you proceed along into the feeding line. Correct?
I will probably exit the feeding line discreetly once we're inside the gates.
WOW sounds like a real cattle call eh?:D
Can't wait!

the check in line, and the admission/feeding line are really two seperate lines, but that is not an issue as long as somone from your party goes directly to the admission./feeding line, while you check in. That way you have a spot in the admission/feeding line. FYI, they will not give anyone a wristband without checking there ID's to make sure they are over 21. The person that goes directly to the admission/feeding line should be someone that won't be drinking beer or wine.

Reading this thread gives me the feeling that the BBQ is a zoo. Am I wrong? We would really like to go on our next trip, but my Type A DH might not find this event realxing. We have been to character meals all over WDW, and I know that they can be lots of fun. Is the BBQ?

OK I think I get it now, DVCDAVE! Thanks so much for your input. I was beginning to think this was becoming our own personal chatting thread! LOL
Good point about sending someone into the other line. I was assuming it was all one continuous line. Glad you clarified that!

MJS - Glad you could join us! I would consider myself somewhat of a Type A as well (Can you tell from all my questions??) and I'm going to give it a try. It is DW after all so we should be able to throw our cares away and have fun! Too bad we can't throw our personalities away, eh??

My wife considers me a TYPE AAA, but when I step off the plane in Orlando, I manage to check my personality in at the door. Its one of the few places I can do that.

I am sorry if I am giving the BBQ a bad name, but it really needs some better organization in my mind. I think the free for all picnic table system stinks. There should be reserved seating, even if it means smaller picnic tables. Forget about dancing, there are WAY too many people there who want to dance, but they simply can't fit. I have heard stories of drunks there, but I never saw any of that. Simply put, I looked forward to it, and was disappointed, I'll head back to Hoop-Dee-Doo instead next year.

I hope all of you enjoy it more than I did. Maybe you'll be lucky, and have a smaller crowd than we did. There must have been close to 400 people there when we were there, as virtually every seat in the place was taken.

Good luck, and more importantly have fun !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter