All About Fixed Weeks (RIV/CCV/AUL/VGF/POLY Charts)

You do when you buy, don’t you? If I want 150 points, then I buy 150 points.
Sort of. If you can use 165, then you are buying 165, and sometimes you spend 15 of those to avoid having to wake up and use an atomic clock to make a hard-to-get booking. That sounds silly, but I've done silly things to avoid inconvenience.

For use year it is like a normal contract. You can choose one most of the time if you like, or they will give you one. Typically it's smart to get a use year a few months ahead of the fixed week, not after the fixed week to avoid missing the banking deadline etc.

FW contracts can't change, they are set. If Disney adjusts a period to cost more points, congrats you get a discount now on the week when you use the FW. If they decrease the point cost for a period you can book normally instead of using the FW and still get the lower cost. It effectively can give you a hedge against a travel period increase on the week of your choice.

Unless you meant do the fixed week costs go up at new resorts, then yes. The FW point cost is based on the normal reservation at each hotel. So a FW for a room at the Poly Tower will usually bend more than the same FW with the same view category at RIV for example

Hmm, I was on Team VGC, but FW option does open the door for Team VDH to be more meaningful option as VGC has no FWs. The fact that points don't change is not a bad price to pay for the 10% up-front premium.

Does this also mean TOT and other taxes and fees stay the same since your annual points count doesn't change?

Sort of. If you can use 165, then you are buying 165, and sometimes you spend 15 of those to avoid having to wake up and use an atomic clock to make a hard-to-get booking. That sounds silly, but I've done silly things to avoid inconvenience.

Sure, if you want those extras, then it might make sense

But if one will never use a FW…and we won’t ever do 7 nights at one resort, even if we did do a 7 night trip…I won’t be benefiting from not having to try for a hard to get room since I’d have to book it myself as it would be less than 7 days.

So, it really has no benefit.

There still is a benefit, though it is very marginal:

If there are two 165 point contracts, one includes a favorite week and one does not, the one that does might have more value to some buyers.

I would 100% ignore this, though.

In other words: "Has no value to you" is not the same as "has no value."

Hmm, I was on Team VGC, but FW option does open the door for Team VDH to be more meaningful option as VGC has no FWs. The fact that points don't change is not a bad price to pay for the 10% up-front premium.

Does this also mean TOT and other taxes and fees stay the same since your annual points count doesn't change?
I am 100% team VGC. But I bought VDH w/ a FW and then some extra on the side. TOT is charged based on the amount of points used to book the room for that stay at VDH.

I am 100% team VGC. But I bought VDH w/ a FW and then some extra on the side. TOT is charged based on the amount of points used to book the room for that stay at VDH.
So taking that to conclusion, so points are set upon purchase so TOT and other taxes and fees won't go up annually. Do I have that right?

So taking that to conclusion, so points are set upon purchase so TOT and other taxes and fees won't go up annually. Do I have that right?
Maintenance fees change every year at every resort not just VDH. The TOT can and likely will go up annually. With TOT you pay the tax based on how points it took to stay in the room at VDH. If you dont stay at VDH you dont pay any extra taxes. FW doesnt change how the TOT is charged, I thought your initial question was regarding TOT and FW. Also TOT is built into the MF at VGC its a much much lower % than VDH but its still there and will be part of the reason MF's go up.

Maintenance fees change every year at every resort not just VDH. The TOT can and likely will go up annually. With TOT you pay the tax based on how points it took to stay in the room at VDH. If you dont stay at VDH you dont pay any extra taxes. FW doesnt change how the TOT is charged, I thought your initial question was regarding TOT and FW. Also TOT is built into the MF at VGC its a much much lower % than VDH but its still there and will be part of the reason MF's go up.
Ok, got it, so MF will change annually per point so that goes up, got it. But the FW part with TOT is something I'm a little unclear on.

If in a FW contract our points don't change from Year 1 to Year 50, wouldn't TOT stay the same too? My question was still related to FW and TOT, but maybe asked in a different way. Hopefully that is more clear now that I didn't mix in MF into the question.

Ok, got it, so MF will change annually per point so that goes up, got it. But the FW part with TOT is something I'm a little unclear on.

If in a FW contract our points don't change from Year 1 to Year 50, wouldn't TOT stay the same too? My question was still related to FW and TOT, but maybe asked in a different way. Hopefully that is more clear now that I didn't mix in MF into the question.
The amount of points it takes to stay on your FW doesn't change. What does change is how much the tax costs per point. So my fixed week is 138 points. Whenever I choose to use my week I am charged whatever the current TOT is for 138 points at checkout. If i choose to not stay my FW and get a room for 1 night for 24 points I pay tax on 24 points at checkout. If I choose to stay at VGC or somewhere at WDW I dont pay any tax at checkout.

Hopefully this makes sense. The tax rate can change every year.

The amount of points it takes to stay on your FW doesn't change. What does change is how much the tax costs per point. So my fixed week is 138 points. Whenever I choose to use my week I am charged whatever the current TOT is for 138 points at checkout. If i choose to not stay my FW and get a room for 1 night for 24 points I pay tax on 24 points at checkout. If I choose to stay at VGC or somewhere at WDW I dont pay any tax at checkout.

Hopefully this makes sense. The tax rate can change every year.
Got it, there was an assumption in there that I wasn't making. TOT can change the tax rate, but I was assuming it steady for the purposes of the question. But if the TOT is constant and the number of points stays the same, my annual trip to VDH would have the same checkout bill each year.

I would also assume that the TOT would be based on the $ per point that I paid at purchase for the life of the FW. Not variable with the rising values of VDH's annual base point value.

There still is a benefit, though it is very marginal:

If there are two 165 point contracts, one includes a favorite week and one does not, the one that does might have more value to some buyers.

I would 100% ignore this, though.

In other words: "Has no value to you" is not the same as "has no value."
Which was what my post was about…why I see no value or benefit in owning a FW…which was an answer to why everyone wouldn’t buy a FW from the start.

Got it, there was an assumption in there that I wasn't making. TOT can change the tax rate, but I was assuming it steady for the purposes of the question. But if the TOT is constant and the number of points stays the same, my annual trip to VDH would have the same checkout bill each year.

I would also assume that the TOT would be based on the $ per point that I paid at purchase for the life of the FW. Not variable with the rising values of VDH's annual base point value.
The ToT tax is an annual rate and can and will go up, just like MFs will go up.

So, if thr TOT in 2025 is $2,84…making up that number and you have a FW for 100 points, your tax is $284.

If it goes to $3 in 2026, then you pay $300, etc.

Maybe this will help. Below is the cost per point. Only charged when you stay at VDH and charged on whatever the point cost is per night regardless if it’s a FW stay.

In 2024 you pay 2.78 per point at checkout when you stay at VDH

In 2025 you pay 2.87 per point at checkout when you stay at VDH

We don’t know what the price per point will be for 2026 yet.

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest