Alaska cruise: Is a passport required?

matt&jakesmom

DIS Veteran
Just in case my Alaska cruise is a go in September, is a passport required or can I use my birth certificate and enhanced license.

Yep, I don’t know of any Alaskan cruises that don’t require a passport. We recently moved from Seattle and all of the ones leaving from their did, even if they were not stopping in Canada because you are still sailing in International waters.

Vancouver has a very efficient system at the airport for international travelers, the best I've ever seen. You scan your passport at the kiosk, answer questions, and then it takes your picture. Don't know how you could do that check-in with a birth certificate (at the airport).

When we took the narrow gauge train, the Canadian immigration officials would come onboard and check passports every time the train entered Canada.

Vancouver has a very efficient system at the airport for international travelers, the best I've ever seen. You scan your passport at the kiosk, answer questions, and then it takes your picture. Don't know how you could do that check-in with a birth certificate (at the airport).
I may have misheard a conversation last because I was told that having an enhanced license gets me into Canada without having a passport.
Are you flying to Vancouver? To fly internationally you have to have a passport.
I don't know yet. We were thinking of flying into Seattle and then taking train to Vancouver. I've been told an enhanced license, which we have, is good for travel in the US and Canada. I am glad to be questioning this now.

I may have misheard a conversation last because I was told that having an enhanced license gets me into Canada without having a passport.

I don't know yet. We were thinking of flying into Seattle and then taking train to Vancouver. I've been told an enhanced license, which we have, is good for travel in the US and Canada. I am glad to be questioning this now.
An enhanced license works for land and sea border crossings. Not for flying.

do yourself a favor - if you are leaving the 48 states (except if you go to Hawaii), always have your passport - you can never plan for everything but getting stuck in a foreign country (like Canada or Mexico) without a passport is ugly
Thank you. I am thinking the same thing.

As per DCL:

Alaska

Sailing from: Vancouver
The following guidelines are based on government regulations, which are subject to change at any time. It is your responsibility to ensure that you have all the proper documentation to board the ship and enter each of the countries on your cruise itinerary.
Travelers can visit the U.S. State Department's website for more information. All documents must be valid for the entire length of the voyage, unless otherwise noted. Guests without proper documentation will be denied boarding. When dropping off luggage upon arrival, please keep all documents in your possession to present during check-in at the terminal.
U.S. Citizens (Including Children) Traveling to or Returning From Canada (Vancouver) by Air
  • Original valid U.S. Passport
U.S. Citizens (Including Children) Traveling to Canada (Vancouver) by Land or Sea
  • Original valid U.S. Passport
  • Original valid U.S. Passport Card
  • Original valid Trusted Traveler Card (NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
OR
  • Original or copy of a state-issued birth certificate AND Government-issued photo ID
    1. Puerto Rico birth certificates issued prior to 7/1/10 are not acceptable
    2. Hospital-issued birth certificates are not acceptable
  • Original Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State AND Government-issued photo ID
  • Original Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services AND Government-issued photo ID
Children 15 years of age and younger are required to present one of the documents listed above, but do not need to present a Government-issued photo ID.
Social Security Cards and Global Entry are not acceptable proof of U.S. citizenship for purposes of traveling outside of the U.S.

I know this doesn't affect you at the moment but just know the Enhanced Drivers Licence will be phased out by 2025 (something to think about for future cross border travel down the line).

do yourself a favor - if you are leaving the 48 states (except if you go to Hawaii), always have your passport - you can never plan for everything but getting stuck in a foreign country (like Canada or Mexico) without a passport is ugly

Pre-covid we were on a road trip and temporarily crossed the Canadian border (we had our passports.) There was a music festival nearby (we had no idea) and indications there was illegal activity going on so the border guards were on high alert. Since we only crossed for a short time to take a scenic loop, they flagged us, detained us in a waiting area, they ran additional checks on our passports and took our car to a warehouse to search it thoroughly. The guards were stern and came in before searching and gave us one last chance to declare anything like cash in the vehicle. I wasn't nervous until I got up to use a restroom and they instructed me I could not.

We hadn't done anything and had nothing to hide, and it was over fairly quickly once they realized so. But yes, if any one else is reading this thread, do yourself a favor and have a valid passport because you never know.

I think I've given you some incorrect information. Looks like the phasing out of the EDL is just on the CDN side. BC will be phasing it out by 2025. Ontario, Quebec and other provinces have already phased it out. No idea if the US has any plans to follow suit. I will say that I encourage people to get a passport though and if you are planning to do the train in Skagway that actually crosses the border into the Yukon I believe they only accept a passport for that.

I will say that I encourage people to get a passport though and if you are planning to do the train in Skagway that actually crosses the border into the Yukon I believe they only accept a passport for that.

I was going to say the same. We did a tour in Skagway and we had to have passports to enter the Yukon by vehicle. When we took the train back to Skagway, they checked our passports on the train. It didn't sound like there was any other option. Unless you are certain you are doing an excursion that will not go to Canada, I would suggest you get one too. Honestly, that was the best tour out of all of our tours in Alaska. I highly recommend it... and getting a passport just to make life easier. I REALLY hope you get to go 🤞🏻

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter