• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AKL animal viewing times

Belle1962

DIS Veteran
We are planning a one night trip to AKL Savannah view room. driving down and will get there around 5:00 pm. Going to Disney Springs. Leaving early next day to head to cruise. How late are the animals “up” and how early do they come out?

The animals set their own schedule. There will likely be some out on the savannah at all times of the day.

The animals have the option to stay out all night, and many do. Each species will go back to their barn at different times of the day for routine health checks, but you have a good chance of seeing animals anytime you look.

Edited to add - there is special low lighting at night so the animals are still visible. Sometime in the last few months someone posted some nighttime photos they had taken from their balcony.

Each species will go back to their barn at different times of the day for routine health checks, but you have a good chance of seeing animals anytime you look.

Edited to add - there is special low lighting at night so the animals are still visible. Sometime in the last few months someone posted some nighttime photos they had taken from their balcony.
Last I heard, they were called back to the barn, group by group, each morning. I don't have the times but someone else might. I remember some people complained that they stayed at the hotel but never saw the animals when they were out on the balcony having coffee in the morning; turns out they happened to go out on the balcony every morning at the time when the animals on their savanna were called into the barn.

Does AKL still do the night viewing of the animals with the night vision goggles? I know it was at the Uzima Overlook area. That is a unique experience.

We are planning a one night trip to AKL Savannah view room. driving down and will get there around 5:00 pm. Going to Disney Springs. Leaving early next day to head to cruise. How late are the animals “up” and how early do they come out?
This might have been covered, but... I heard there are night vision binoculars for rent. Does anyone know if that is the case?

Most animals we saw from our balcony were in the earlier AM during feed drops. The giraffes would be fixated on the elevated feeders in the trees for obvious reasons. And then others would follow like a processional.

I think it was around 8 AM or so.

Last edited:
Does AKL still do the night viewing of the animals with the night vision goggles? I know it was at the Uzima Overlook area. That is a unique experience.
This might have been covered, but... I heard there are night vision binoculars for rent. Does anyone know if that is the case?
Used to be free at Uzima Overlook, guests would just pass them around. I imagine after COVID that stopped and have not heard if it returned. I know it used to be listed on website and is not now. Hopefully someone will answer that question.

That said we had a video camera that did nightvision so if we switched that on we could use our camera the same as the goggles. But you can actually buy small nightvision goggles fairly reasonably on Amazon so I would probably buy and pack my own so I didn't have to share.

IMO your best time to see the animals is to find out when they do the feedings. They tend to put the food in areas where people are more able to see them. That's when we would always see the giraffes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter