Airport Experiences in SoCal

Well gang I got an email today from Southwest that they're having a sale until Monday on booking with points (25% off points) AND if you need to BUY any points to supplement the points are 45% off. So I just spent all afternoon trying to figure out what we could afford to do with points. DH had more than enough to book but I was a little short. Initially I only needed to buy 2,000 points but when I went to book the prices went up on the flight we had decided on (up by 4,000 points and $30 cash price). So instead of buying 2,000 points for $33 I had to spend $99 for 6,000 points). Still not a bad price for the one-way I guess since DH was essentially free. I was just ticked off that the prices went up right as I was booking it. GRRRR. I booked from BWI to LGB even tho it's a much longer total trip duration but so now we're locked into BWI for our return flights. At least that narrows down my searches and eliminates DCA & IAD as options. :rotfl2: I'm just going to play the slots or roulette on the return prices into BWI as those will be booked with cash and I'm still hoping they may drop just a little. I just didn't want to miss the points sale....

Well gang I got an email today from Southwest that they're having a sale until Monday on booking with points (25% off points) AND if you need to BUY any points to supplement the points are 45% off. So I just spent all afternoon trying to figure out what we could afford to do with points. DH had more than enough to book but I was a little short. Initially I only needed to buy 2,000 points but when I went to book the prices went up on the flight we had decided on (up by 4,000 points and $30 cash price). So instead of buying 2,000 points for $33 I had to spend $99 for 6,000 points). Still not a bad price for the one-way I guess since DH was essentially free. I was just ticked off that the prices went up right as I was booking it. GRRRR. I booked from BWI to LGB even tho it's a much longer total trip duration but so now we're locked into BWI for our return flights. At least that narrows down my searches and eliminates DCA & IAD as options. :rotfl2: I'm just going to play the slots or roulette on the return prices into BWI as those will be booked with cash and I'm still hoping they may drop just a little. I just didn't want to miss the points sale....
Oh, that's exceptionally annoying to have the price go up right when you're booking!!

I was able to book 2 RT flights on SW yesterday for $39, but not to DLR. The special, surprisingly (ha ha), did not include any airports in the DLR area. But I got a couple of RT flights for DH and me to go to Santa Barbara from Sacramento, so that's cool.

I'm currently in a DL planning phase and discovered this thread.

We had narrowed down to SNA, LGB, and LAX. However, I added ONT to the mix, as it is the same or slightly shorter as the drive from LAX, but with the perk of it being a smaller and more manageable airport. ONT is also more affordable than both SNA and LGB. Even more so than LAX.

So, at this point, I would say LAX is in 4th position. Currently, ONT is most affordable, LGB and LAX are about the same, and SNA is the priciest. I like SNA and flew out of it back in February. It only took 27 minutes from pickup to bag drop at the airport. I just don't think I can justify an extra $70 per, each way.

Of course, these prices will fluctuate over the coming months. There will likely be deals (We'll be flying WN). So, while price point is a big factor, it's not the only factor, as we know prices could change.

I'm currently in a DL planning phase and discovered this thread.

We had narrowed down to SNA, LGB, and LAX. However, I added ONT to the mix, as it is the same or slightly shorter as the drive from LAX, but with the perk of it being a smaller and more manageable airport. ONT is also more affordable than both SNA and LGB. Even more so than LAX.

So, at this point, I would say LAX is in 4th position. Currently, ONT is most affordable, LGB and LAX are about the same, and SNA is the priciest. I like SNA and flew out of it back in February. It only took 27 minutes from pickup to bag drop at the airport. I just don't think I can justify an extra $70 per, each way.

Of course, these prices will fluctuate over the coming months. There will likely be deals (We'll be flying WN). So, while price point is a big factor, it's not the only factor, as we know prices could change.
NO!! (distance-wise it may be similar, but you will sit in traffic on 91 for hours) I mean if you save a lot, then i guess it can be worth it, but don't count on it being faster. LAX can be a bear too, but that trip over the hill out to/from Ontario can be a nightmare.

If I'm not saving $100's each way, I'm always going to LGB or SNA. Also calculate the Uber/Lyft cost difference.

NO!! (distance-wise it may be similar, but you will sit in traffic on 91 for hours) I mean if you save a lot, then i guess it can be worth it, but don't count on it being faster. LAX can be a bear too, but that trip over the hill out to/from Ontario can be a nightmare.

If I'm not saving $100's each way, I'm always going to LGB or SNA. Also calculate the Uber/Lyft cost difference.

Interesting. I have checked Google Maps and Waze at random points to see the "real time" time frames. I have usually seen it at about an hour, but I've also seen it around 45-50 minutes. I've not seen it at multiple hours.

Anyway, the times seemed pretty similar to LAX.

As far as savings...at this point, ONT would currently save $300 total over LGB and $900 over SNA.

I did make sure to calculate the Uber/Lyft difference....typically around $25 more each way. Definitely not enough to make up the difference.

Of course, all these prices are as of right now. I am not sold on ONT. My preference would be LGB or SNA.

Thanks for your feedback though. I will definitely keep in mind as I continue to monitor the commute times.

NO!! (distance-wise it may be similar, but you will sit in traffic on 91 for hours) I mean if you save a lot, then i guess it can be worth it, but don't count on it being faster.
Hmm, Google maps is currently showing the drive as 42 minutes, via I-10 and Rt 57. I'm flying ATL to ONT in August because I'm using SkyMiles and ONT is 78,200 skymiles vs 124,000 to SNA. (First Class) Will be renting a car, so I hope it doesn't take hours to get to Anaheim.

Interesting. I have checked Google Maps and Waze at random points to see the "real time" time frames. I have usually seen it at about an hour, but I've also seen it around 45-50 minutes. I've not seen it at multiple hours.

You will be totally fine! If traffic is horrendous on the 91 depending on the time of day, you will be routed to take either the 60 or 10 directly to the 57. It won’t take you multiple hours 😆😆

I must’ve contacted previously on this thread, but ONT should be a great option if SNA is too pricey 😅

You will be totally fine! If traffic is horrendous on the 91 depending on the time of day, you will be routed to take either the 60 or 10 directly to the 57. It won’t take you multiple hours 😆😆

I must’ve contacted previously on this thread, but ONT should be a great option if SNA is too pricey 😅
I concur. I have flown into ONT many times for DLR and had tremendous success. I have not had bad traffic, but yes it could be bad depending on time of day and day of week (same is true for LAX and even SNA).

Agree with other posters to factor in transport cost to DLR from the airport. In general, transport from ONT is more expensive than other LA area airports, somewhat negating any potential flight savings.

Good to hear. Thanks for the encouragement!

I concur. I have flown into ONT many times for DLR and had tremendous success. I have not had bad traffic, but yes it could be bad depending on time of day and day of week (same is true for LAX and even SNA).

Agree with other posters to factor in transport cost to DLR from the airport. In general, transport from ONT is more expensive than other LA area airports, somewhat negating any potential flight savings.

The plan is to fly in on a weekday, though not sure which day at this point. Arrival will likely be late morning-midday.

As of right now, the difference in ride-share between SNA and ONT is about $25-30. I know it's something to keep in mind, but if it stays at that price difference, it would definitely be worth it for the airfare savings.

Now, if the airfares get closer, and the ride-share fares get further apart.....factoring in the commute time difference....at some point, it could be worth it to just go with one of the closer airports.

But, as of right now, that's the way I am leaning.

My flight out of LAX will be on a Wednesday in the middle of June. I have to return my rental car and make a 11:15am flight. How much time should I allow for this? How long is the whole "return my car, get through security" gonna take me? Any experienced fliers out of LAX out there that can help? Thanks

My flight out of LAX will be on a Wednesday in the middle of June. I have to return my rental car and make a 11:15am flight. How much time should I allow for this? How long is the whole "return my car, get through security" gonna take me? Any experienced fliers out of LAX out there that can help? Thanks
Probably a pretty good idea to be at the rental car spot by 9am… should put you through security by 10am.
But I haven’t flown in or out of LAX for a long time, so there may be better suggestions. I also don’t like sitting in the airport so I usually push it. lol

What rental car agency and what airline/terminal?

Terminal seven is the last terminal. The shuttle has to stop to drop off (and pick up) people at every other terminal before arriving at Terminal 7 (https://www.flylax.com/-/media/flylax/ground-transportation/ground-transportation-waiting-areas.ashx). We've taken other shuttles (to long term parking) that filled up before they got to Terminal 7.

How many people are in your party and how much luggage will you have? Upon arrival, If you notice that shuttles are full by the time they get to Terminal 7, start walking to your left to Terminal 4 and see if it is easier there. Terminal 3 is Delta, then international, and Terminal 4 is American. Those three terminals tend fill up shuttles.

For returning, I am the opposite of Chili327 and I allow extra time for traffic, checking bags, and security at LAX. I would allow 30-40 min to get from Alamo to Terminal 7. Are you a United VIP (don't know the name of their program)? If not, the line to check bags can take longer than the line for security. Do you have TSA pre-check? That will help. Some gates at Terminal 7 are a 10 min walk from TSA. If you have a family (especially little kids who can't walk at a brisk pace, need bathroom breaks, want food, etc.), I would pad the time and arrive earlier than 9.

We always try to fly out of SNA but LGB is cheaper for my August trip with my son and his buddy so we are trying that. And then this weekend my daughter committed to University of Redlands-which is closest to ONT. not only do I think this’ll get me to buy my first Magic Key :) but I think I’ll get a SW credit card for all this.

We love LGB. It is our airport of choice whenever possible. They load and unload planes from both the front and back which means a quick exit for those in the back of the plane.

We always try to fly out of SNA but LGB is cheaper for my August trip with my son and his buddy so we are trying that. And then this weekend my daughter committed to University of Redlands-which is closest to ONT. not only do I think this’ll get me to buy my first Magic Key :) but I think I’ll get a SW credit card for all this.
Love having a SW credit card!

I grew up in Redlands, and am U of R alum ‘80!
I am grateful every day for my education there.

Back then, ONT was basically a cow field.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter