Airmiles Armchair Chatter

I'm currently sifting thru all the cancelation terms on everything we've booked because the little witch with a B finally caught up to me 😫 we've got 9 days left to go, hubby still seems to be OK, I've slept in the spare room since I started feeling icky on Saturday night, we're not spending time in the same room without masks.
Super happy i paid the extra $100 ($50 each) to get 100% of our Porter flights refunded right up to boarding with no questions asked. We already have tickets my annual pass from airmiles and his are the goodwill ones gifted to us when my mom died. The rooms are RO and i think i have 5 days? We'll rebook but zero chance of getting the same rates

View attachment 895666
Here is hoping in the next 4 days all is better,,people at work that have come down with it have bounced back in that time,,, symptom free after 3 days....hang in there.

I'm currently sifting thru all the cancelation terms on everything we've booked because the little witch with a B finally caught up to me 😫 we've got 9 days left to go, hubby still seems to be OK, I've slept in the spare room since I started feeling icky on Saturday night, we're not spending time in the same room without masks.
Super happy i paid the extra $100 ($50 each) to get 100% of our Porter flights refunded right up to boarding with no questions asked. We already have tickets my annual pass from airmiles and his are the goodwill ones gifted to us when my mom died. The rooms are RO and i think i have 5 days? We'll rebook but zero chance of getting the same rates

View attachment 895666
I got it for the first time while we were at WDW in June. DD refused to take a test but she had whatever she had first. For both of us it lasted 3-4 days in total and was the weirdest thing I’ve ever had in my life. No joke.

I'm definitely NOT one of the people who can say that covid-19 is no worse than a bad cold. Currently on day 5 of symptoms and it seems more just keep getting added. This is not something I would wish on my worst enemy. Coughing has joined the party as an annoying guest and pushed my voice out of the room, my eyes still can't handle any light so the curtains are drawn and the TV is the only light source in this room. I obviously learned the lesson "sharing is caring" because hubby tested positive last night as well. His primary symptoms so far are exhaustion, lots of aches and pains in his joints and the light sensitivity as well. Tracing my steps backwards from my first day of symptoms - extreme dizziness, if you get that it's often the first sign - the vector for me was probably the woman in the bathroom at the mall who was Coughing up a lung, sneezing and left without washing her hands 🤢 oh yeah, and I stopped wearing a mask.

I know we're not the only people who've had covid, but I wanted to put it out there that it hasn't progressed to just like a mild case of the flu or a bad cold that you're over in 3-4 days for everyone. Those of us who are in high risk categories (age for both of us, asthma for me and my food allergies put me in the "semi immunocompromisation" , and a propensity for pneumonia for hubby) can still get quite sick. Yes, we should have still been wearing masks whenever we left the house, but we both believed the "it's not as bad as it was" line.
I'm glad it happened now, this would ruin a trip, I go from bed, to kitchen for drugs and water, to the recliner in the TV room with multiple bathroom breaks (wobbling around, trying not to pass out). We're gonna wait until Saturday to make a decision about the trip

I'm definitely NOT one of the people who can say that covid-19 is no worse than a bad cold. Currently on day 5 of symptoms and it seems more just keep getting added. This is not something I would wish on my worst enemy. Coughing has joined the party as an annoying guest and pushed my voice out of the room, my eyes still can't handle any light so the curtains are drawn and the TV is the only light source in this room. I obviously learned the lesson "sharing is caring" because hubby tested positive last night as well. His primary symptoms so far are exhaustion, lots of aches and pains in his joints and the light sensitivity as well. Tracing my steps backwards from my first day of symptoms - extreme dizziness, if you get that it's often the first sign - the vector for me was probably the woman in the bathroom at the mall who was Coughing up a lung, sneezing and left without washing her hands 🤢 oh yeah, and I stopped wearing a mask.

I know we're not the only people who've had covid, but I wanted to put it out there that it hasn't progressed to just like a mild case of the flu or a bad cold that you're over in 3-4 days for everyone. Those of us who are in high risk categories (age for both of us, asthma for me and my food allergies put me in the "semi immunocompromisation" , and a propensity for pneumonia for hubby) can still get quite sick. Yes, we should have still been wearing masks whenever we left the house, but we both believed the "it's not as bad as it was" line.
I'm glad it happened now, this would ruin a trip, I go from bed, to kitchen for drugs and water, to the recliner in the TV room with multiple bathroom breaks (wobbling around, trying not to pass out). We're gonna wait until Saturday to make a decision about the trip

I work in LTC and did covid surveillance when it was a “pandemic “ ( I still think it is .. this latest strain is knocking staff on their butts. Not to mention the toll it’s taken on residents.. it’s been a rough go.
Stay safe out there guys , seriously this current strain is nasty

I already told dh I will be masking on our trip. I work in the cancer center now - and I can't compromise the pt's if I get sick. I already have my supply of hand sanitizer and masks packed in my little pile of growing items to pack in the spare room.

@Donald - my hero I hope you get better soon. I know others who have picked up this latest strain - and it is NASTY!!!! Sending you lots of hugs :hug:

I was out most of the day and came home to find over 100 emails including one from Walmart saying I ordered $436 in goods and I had picked it up already. What a mess. They used my MC so I called MC and have a new card coming. They sent off a dispute but suggested I call Walmart ahead of it. I called Walmart and let them know it wasn't me. It was ordered from a store in Quebec, of course. Why is it always Quebec (not meant to offend anyone from Quebec). Anyways, Walmart had me change my password on their site, wasn't aware I had an account but I do remember ordering something during an AM promo. They then had me delete my form of payment off of the account, which was a MC but the expiry date was wrong. That card was deleted when my chip stopped working a month or so ago and they sent me a new one then.
Then I had to go through the other 100 emails and block them. Most were for subscribing to news letters and such. One was from a company that did fake ultrasounds. Weird! I just blocked them all but if someone has my e-mail address they may just keep subscribing to things and it will be a vicious circle. It's hard to change your email address when you have used it for 20 years. So much attached to it.
The joys of modern technology I guess.
Okay, that's my whine for the night. Hope everyone is well. If anyone has any thoughts or ideas on things I can do that I haven't, please share.

@tinkerone I feel your pain. Twice I've had my Optimum hacked and points stolen. Also had money withdrawn from my bank account. Have had my debt card cut off by the bank because there was fraud at a place I had made a purchase. The bank didn't even notify me and I was trying to make a purchase that was declined with a contact bank message...that was embarrassing. In more recent times, I've had massive amounts of emails (in the hundreds) all the same message but from different senders. When that happened I was then locked out of my email and tech support couldn't fix it. They had to escalate it two levels and it took more than a week for them to sort it out. When I finally got back in there were well over a thousand messages that I had to go through. :faint:

On a better note, last night I booked my flights. Something interesting happened. I spent a couple hours searching and checking out every possible combination of round trips and one ways. Sometimes certain flights don't show as available...seen this before many times. I discovered that after you put all your dates etc in you can then go back by using the 'more options' and it will search again with more filtres but it will also show flights that it didn't before. I've used this feature many times as I change dates around but it did not show the other flights before. I had pretty much settled on the flights I wanted but wanted to just think on it for a bit. Late last night I decided to do a new search from my phone (had been on the laptop before) and didn't it show a higher number of miles for the same flight. I have no idea why but I jumped up and grabbed the laptop. The page I was looking at previously was still open and it still had the flights on it with the lower number of miles. I went forward with the purchase, full expecting the miles to go up at some point. Oh no...the miles went down! YES, I booked right then and there. I actually managed to get the more expensive flight combo for less miles and a lower cash fee. So after the 4000 miles that I will get back from the Orlando promo this will be 4256 miles and $402. If I had just booked a cash fair it would have been $1400. Needless to say I'm very happy with this. So now on to figuring out hotels and transportation. I'm planning to book hotels this weekend to have it count for STB.

On a better note, last night I booked my flights. Something interesting happened. I spent a couple hours searching and checking out every possible combination of round trips and one ways. Sometimes certain flights don't show as available...seen this before many times. I discovered that after you put all your dates etc in you can then go back by using the 'more options' and it will search again with more filtres but it will also show flights that it didn't before. I've used this feature many times as I change dates around but it did not show the other flights before. I had pretty much settled on the flights I wanted but wanted to just think on it for a bit. Late last night I decided to do a new search from my phone (had been on the laptop before) and didn't it show a higher number of miles for the same flight. I have no idea why but I jumped up and grabbed the laptop. The page I was looking at previously was still open and it still had the flights on it with the lower number of miles. I went forward with the purchase, full expecting the miles to go up at some point. Oh no...the miles went down! YES, I booked right then and there. I actually managed to get the more expensive flight combo for less miles and a lower cash fee. So after the 4000 miles that I will get back from the Orlando promo this will be 4256 miles and $402. If I had just booked a cash fair it would have been $1400. Needless to say I'm very happy with this. So now on to figuring out hotels and transportation. I'm planning to book hotels this weekend to have it count for STB.
This is much the same as what happened when I booked my flights. The cost of the flight in cash went up so I thought I better get on it before the price goes up again and therefore the AMs cost, but it actually went down over a thousand miles. I hit the purchase button pretty darn fast.
I wonder if there is some glitch in the AMs site. Not that I care, I'm pretty happy with the cost when all is said and done.

Forgot to ask....
Does anyone know anything about the RBC bank accounts that you can use in the USA? DD has asked me to try and figure this out for her. TBH, this is just one too many things right now with dealing with my mom. DD got snarky with me when I said I'm overwhelmed. Anyway, now I feel guilty. She gets paid in USD on this paycard system that is basically like a mastercard. The money is deposited and then they can go into the account to transfer elsewhere or just use the card like a regular mastercard. So her card was not working while she was in rehearsals and she had no money for two weeks while they tried to fix it. For a while it was working just fine but now it's not working again. So all she has to use is her Canadian visa card but can't access her pay to pay the visa bill. Plus, she is losing money paying in CAD instead of USD. Her manager from the office here is still onboard and has suggested she open some sort of RBC account and also said they have a branch in Georgia. I know NOTHING about this stuff or how to even help her. I don't think I can open an account in her name but could open it in my name, giving her the acct number and pin...maybe joint with her??? Then mail her the debit card. I think the account needs to read like a US based bank on the DCL end.

This is much the same as what happened when I booked my flights. The cost of the flight in cash went up so I thought I better get on it before the price goes up again and therefore the AMs cost, but it actually went down over a thousand miles. I hit the purchase button pretty darn fast.
I wonder if there is some glitch in the AMs site. Not that I care, I'm pretty happy with the cost when all is said and done.
Yes...it was previously going to come in at 5400-6200 miles because there wasn't an option that got me to over 8000 miles (for the 50% return). I was actually holding off for the cash price to go up a little because that should then get me over 8000 which in the end was less miles. That finally happened yesterday but it was an additional 600 miles higher than what I ended up getting. :confused3 I'm also confused as to why there is such a range in the fee you have to pay. Mine was between $402 and $467...the difference in cash fare was not that much but in the end I got the lowest fee for the highest cash priced fare.

I've been watching flights for my possible January trip (for my 50th woo hoo!) and if I book separate flights, Porter on the way there and AC on the way home (not sure I want to book AC but they get me home earlier which I would appreciate) the cost in AM isn't too bad. I plan to just use a small underseat bag or backpack. It's only for 4 days so not like I need a tonne of clothes with me. Any way. Hoping for the 250 AM to post for the 3 online shops, then I could book one of the flights any way.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest