Airmiles Armchair Chatter

we booked the fights last night for the beginning of October instead of the end after lots of math and spreadsheets galore! Comfort level Flex on the way down (includes checked bag and seat selection for less than adding to the cheaper fare) and reserve fare on the way home. We also paid the extra $50 each to add on "any reason full refund up to 1 hour before departure" because we're both getting old(er) and have recently spent a lot of time sick with various bizarre things and my f-i-l is 101. Felt like a no-brainer since we already have full medical coverage , we can easily move/ cancel the disney room and our tickets are already covered. Booked the final days at POFQ and the first 2 at Riverside in a preferred room, (annoyingly the 2nd night isn't available at POFQ) i will be calling to cancel the bounceback offer. All of the room rates are annual pass ones, 35% off thanks to my annual pass from cashing in a ton of airmiles.

I will be obsessively be attempting to get the whole thing at POFQ! Next 4 transactions at dollarama will be $30 disney gift cards to maximize that offer!

I am debating a solo trip next year. I turn 50 in early February and would like to spend it at Disney. But kiddo has no interest in going, so I'd be leaving him home alone. I could also consider a cruise, my niece would go with me, but I'm not sure that's what I want to do. I think she'd also go to Disney with me if I asked, but she was more excited to go on a cruise. It would be cheaper for me to go with her as she'd pay her own way, so we'd be splitting some of the costs. And a cruise would be a lot less than Disney.

So do I go the week before my birthday, Wed to Sun, kiddo would be done exams and have no school to miss, or do I got for my actual birthday but shorten it to Thu to Sun so kiddo only has to get himself to school one day (my flight would be late enough on Thu I could drop him off). Or do I give up on Disney and just go on a short cruise.

I'd get park hoppers so I can do things in all the parks, and probably stay at Caribbean Beach for the skyliner, or maybe POP or AOA to save some money. Flying Porter directly from Ottawa. I just don't know what to do! Do I trust the boy home alone for a few days? Do I go the week before and get an extra day or be there on my actual birthday? My family thinks I should go to Vegas because Disney is for kids but we all know that's foolish. I want to do things like finally see Fantasmic, kiddo always makes us miss it, go on the rides I like, and not just ride Space over and over again.

What should I do? Besides ramp up my AM and other points programs to save some money on the trip lol.

I am debating a solo trip next year. I turn 50 in early February and would like to spend it at Disney. But kiddo has no interest in going, so I'd be leaving him home alone. I could also consider a cruise, my niece would go with me, but I'm not sure that's what I want to do. I think she'd also go to Disney with me if I asked, but she was more excited to go on a cruise. It would be cheaper for me to go with her as she'd pay her own way, so we'd be splitting some of the costs. And a cruise would be a lot less than Disney.

So do I go the week before my birthday, Wed to Sun, kiddo would be done exams and have no school to miss, or do I got for my actual birthday but shorten it to Thu to Sun so kiddo only has to get himself to school one day (my flight would be late enough on Thu I could drop him off). Or do I give up on Disney and just go on a short cruise.

I'd get park hoppers so I can do things in all the parks, and probably stay at Caribbean Beach for the skyliner, or maybe POP or AOA to save some money. Flying Porter directly from Ottawa. I just don't know what to do! Do I trust the boy home alone for a few days? Do I go the week before and get an extra day or be there on my actual birthday? My family thinks I should go to Vegas because Disney is for kids but we all know that's foolish. I want to do things like finally see Fantasmic, kiddo always makes us miss it, go on the rides I like, and not just ride Space over and over again.

What should I do? Besides ramp up my AM and other points programs to save some money on the trip lol.
I really can’t answer any of your questions. However, what I can do is tell you that one of the best times I ever had at Disney was when I did it solo. I’ve actually done this several times . It was amazing. I got to do exactly what I wanted to do. I didn’t have to worry about anyone else’s schedule. I actually got to sit on a bench and people watch. I do enjoy cruising, however if it was a choice between the two, personally, I would take the trip solo. Always nice going away with someone but it’s always nicer to take some time alone.
Whichever you do, I’m sure you’ll have a great birthday getaway.

If I have ever had any doubt Disney prices have gone insane I no longer do. I just priced out a Tower Studio at Riviera Resort for Feb. 19th-22nd and it prices out at $706 a night. It's a STUDIO. Pull down bed and only sleeps 2. I have seen videos of it and it is tiny. That is nuts!
Or maybe it's not and I'm just not keeping up.

How old is your son,,and more important how responsible do you see him as.
Wife and I just did our kidless trip in April..so sort of like solo...now ours are 13 and 17. My sister stayed at house..but really just as a stop gap for them..they both very responsible.
Iy is the best not having to worry about what others want for food or entertainment,,timing and or just chilling. I would say go for it. If you dont need frills then the pop os great for skyliner. We are DVC so we take what is available. Thise tower 2 person studios are crazy for what yoy get..for less money i would get OKW orSSR full size studio.

Or I did do Vegas for my 50th..loved it and the shows..but its not cheap. And we still go backand do WDW as adults again.

Just popping in the say hello from Epcot! It’s hot but not too terrible. I relented and got the ECV for the day. I had several people telling me to get one…my osteopath, the guy that made my orthotics, DH and both DD’s. I will admit I’m glad I did it. I’ve parked and walked a fair bit too. DD has taken far too much joy in filming me driving it. I feel self conscious but I know it’s for the best.

We got to have a private M&G with Elsa. Which was super fun. 🤫 it’s DD’s bestie. She so good at it. Got to hang out over lunch and chat a bit.l and we are going to dinner together on Wednesday.

For the last hour we have been taking a little rest and now on to ride Soarin and Remy.

Any chance your niece would come and be in the house with your son while you take the solo trip? Having raised 3 boys I'm hesitant to leave the teenage male alone in a house. Or does he have a friend who lives nearby who could come and stay with him and that boys parents could keep an eye on them? Just my thoughts.

Age child can be left alone Ontario
16 years

However, in two provinces (Manitoba and New Brunswick), the welfare Acts state that a parent cannot leave a child under the age of 12 unattended without making provision for adequate supervision. In Ontario, the statutory limit is 16 years.
https://cwrp.ca/sites/default/files/publications/Legal Age for Leaving Children Unsupervised Across Canada (2021).pdf

If your son is old enough I would also look at how many times he has been able to demonstrate his comfort and trust worthiness while you have been away in Canada on maybe day/ overnight/weekend trips.

Pop Century with the Sky Liner sounds like a lot fun.

Hugs Mel

Last edited:
My DD16 and I would love to leave DH home alone for a week so WE could go to Disney LOL
I only take DH if I have no other options. I actually think I might start going solo in future over taking my last resort. He is such a buzz kill. However, I will take a teensy but of the responsibility. When I go with DD I’m constantly saying we can do whatever you want. When I have gone with DH I expect to receive that treatment but he will never cuz he’s a guy and lives in his own little world. Last two times I brought him with me I said I would never do it again. It was all sighing and far too many ‘whatever’s’. I may have a little taste of hanging out on my own this week. I’m going to insist that DD go hang out with her friends one evening without me. What will I do with myself??? I don’t know but I think a quiet night relaxing at the resort will be great.

DD and I are hanging at the pool for a few hours today and then will do a little (or a lot) of shopping. I knew they had closed the pool here for a while but had no idea they were renovating. There is now more seating which was needed but they have removed several of the largest trees that provided most of the shade. They have added no additional umbrellas which I can see as being a problem. Our favourite little corner now has a table instead of the loungers and they removed the big shrub that made it into a corner. For today I’ve picked a new spot and hope that I have enough space to move with the shade.

Oh DH, said during our 2018 trip, "So, I am not coming back here ever a again". Fast forward to booking our Dec 2022 trip, without DH, and he consistently said I booked the trip in secret from him. Well, I did technically just pull the trigger and buy park passes with AM for DD and I, but he was asked six times if he wanted to go. NO! was the exact answer each time. I guess the vacation location was not where he wanted it to be LOL.

I warned dh that if he didn't book our flights for our planned Oct trip - I would book them on my cc and he would be left behind. He didn't think we should book so soon for flight in Oct :furious: I didn't want to miss out on the direct flight from Calgary to Orlando (we still have to connect to Calgary) but it is sure an easier flight than the milk run from Edmonton or Calgary / Toronto / Orlando red eye flight.

Hotel needs to be booked yet. We are considering staying at Dockside at Universal - in the 2 bedroom suite - as that would suit us best instead of 2 separate hotel rooms. The only request from the boys was that they don't want to sleep in the same bed - which is a very valid point. They are grown men - and since they are paying for some parts of the trip as well as any extra activities ( like light saber building!!!) - we agreed that was reasonable.

Flights are now booked - and the countdown in on for booking some Disney eats and light saber building as that ds's want to do!!! This is the fun part of the holiday that I LOVE. We have a bucket list of items that boys want to do - so we will be BUSY. They may need a vacation after the vacation lol. KSC, Tampa/Clearwater, airboat / gator tour, Disney , Universal plus one night of HHN. We will be busy!!!! We have been wanting to do it for years - and are finally able to do it!!!! I'm beyond excited!!!!

Now they just need to decide how many Disney parks they want to do 2 or 3. HS, and MK are definitely must visit - the other one I would love for us to do is Epcot. I would love to ride the couple new rides and do some eating and drinking around the world!

Off to watch more youtube videos to help plan out some days!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter