Airmiles Armchair Chatter

I'm going to try and get out of work early enough today to go to Sobeys. I'm still debating if I will just get the items I want from the AM list or if it will be my whole grocery shop. Leaning towards the whole shop. The last few days the line ups outside the stores here have been pretty long and I just can't deal with that at the moment. I would like to be able to get enough to last 10 days or even 2 weeks but I find that hard to do.

Done in 10 minutes because there were no boxes of chicken in the freezer and they had to go get me some from the back freezers.
I did pick up 3 jars of the Classico pasta sauce ,,, buy 3 @3.99 each get 30 Airmiles.
Spent $121.83
236 Airmiles.

I was the only one in store at 7 am. so I felt safe.
All food dropped off at son's home at 7:30 am (yes I woke him up) ,,, but he loves me because I'm his mom and I bring him free food.

Happy shopping.
Hugs
Mel

I'm also hoping I will be able to use my Dream miles before flight options change dramatically.

All other miles I earn (these days) go to cash and I use those at the grocery store then put the equivalent into my holiday fund.

I have enough for flights and one hotel night for my December trip, but I'm reluctant to book with the current situation.... It seems like AM is pushing hard on the "portal" which is my least favourite way to earn miles. I hope they don't lose all partners, I have not shopped at Rexall since they switched. It's just too many, each store having their own program is too many things to keep track of, and you can't pool the rewards. Not sure what I'll do if AM goes away from the stores... However, I am still earning dream miles only. I don't shop at the stores you can redeem at enough right now, and am still hoping for one more hotel night. Or who knows what travel I will be able to get eventually.

Yesterday I had a good shop at Sobeys. Last week I had earned the 5x multiplier for this week so my $200 shop earned me 221 AM. Unlocked offer 40 am, spend offer 40 miles plus I bought some of the bonus items. I will be going back again beginning of next week for another quick shop of meats this time and I will earn some more unlocked miles.

I just looked at my Metro offers... I guess I haven't been in awhile, I have a "spend $5 get 5 AM". Guess they'd be happy if I just bought anything lol.

After reading that article and thinking about it I can't help but wonder if BMO MC is heading towards leaving AM's. I think back to when I called them last month about the fees and how hard the agent tried to get me to switch to cash back. At one time you could collect a ton of AM's in branch but that got to be very costly and it gradually dropped down to next to nothing. You used to be able to collect them on your Line of Credit, investments and bank accounts. We would give them out to people who had to wait more than five minutes for service. Got an issue, here, have some AM's. Yeah, those days were great for collectors.

I’ve been wondering this too...I crossed 15K dream miles yesterday with the Bonus boom and....I do wonder about devaluation. And switching to cash would be a nightmare right now since like someone said above, I’m not going into stores to have the opportunity to redeem those.

Just took a quick drive to Foodland, spent $1.78 and received 98 AM's. Worth the drive. It was from My Offers, buy anything get 95 AM's, buy $1 worth of bananas get 3 AM's. Sometimes I get a decent My Offer and it's pretty much the only time I bother with Foodland.

deep breathing everyone. No one has a crystal ball, don't let this creep in and add to the noise in your head. That's one story from one person, pure speculation from someone who looks at all reward programs. No real evidence to support what he's saying. We've seen sponsors come and go constantly, Michael's? Remember them?

Yes, everyone is needing to look at their bottom line right now and it costs companies to be participate in airmiles but it's part of their advertising budget in a way. Yes we've seen the miles value change but so has the actual money in our wallets?

would we be upset if suddenly we were stuck with miles that aren't worth what we expected when we earned them? Probably but then we earn and spend them differently than most I guess. Never buy things we don't need (other than the cheesecake things at Metro years ago but dang, they were worth it!) so we always treat them as found money and use them "buy" things we Probably would never spend money on, or upgrade to something better. I would NEVER spend 800 on a flipping vacuum but I love mine. Max the Mighty Mixer ? Yeah, I'd never have just bought one. It's also why we don't collect cash miles, these are our "mad money" and to flip them for stuff we'd normally buy and then pocket the value of the miles doesn't fit our banking system. I make use of the Rexall reward program because I still shop there anyway, they have products I love and usually better sale prices than shoppers so I treat those as coupons!

We will keep collecting like we are. I am crossing my fingers that travel changes here by fall, so that I can book a fight for birthday trip I have been planning for the last 5+ years. I should have enough AM collected for almost both of us to have our trip paid for!!!! The rest will be paid for with money from PC points conversion.

After that, we will sit down an reevaluate the Am program and see if we want to keep using it going forward. I don't want to keep collecting the points to use them for different travel plans in case it is the off chance that something happens to their program. We will reevaluate in the fall to see where the program is going. It might be fluff....it might not be. But with sooooooooooo many travel plans that we want to do in the next 2 years, I'm sure we won't have any trouble spending the AM we have collected.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter