Airfare booking dilemma. Not sure exactly who will be going!!

Sounds like you've never worked fast food, retail etc!! The managers generally schedule the workers hours 2 weeks prior and post them on the wall. Workers can 'try' to request time off in advance but they will not know for certain until the hours are posted. Was that way when I was young and seems it has not changed. No, they are not trying to take advantage of me! They know the issue, cost of tickets etc. and the possibility they can't go as a result. The girls don't like it and desperately want to go to Disney!!

I did and my niece does.

We had to request MORE that 2 weeks in advance so the manager could post that schedule. If I had said "I want off in 2 weeks" my managers would have said "umm... Becky asked a month ago too bad" (And my niece somehow managed to get off to spend a month in France so...apparently it's still common to plan in advance. She did not buy that ticket two weeks before she left)

I did and my niece does.

We had to request MORE that 2 weeks in advance so the manager could post that schedule. If I had said "I want off in 2 weeks" my managers would have said "umm... Becky asked a month ago too bad" (And my niece somehow managed to get off to spend a month in France so...apparently it's still common to plan in advance. She did not buy that ticket two weeks before she left)
Right, but many managers won't actually guarantee that you can have the day off and you won't know for sure until the schedule comes out.

Right, but many managers won't actually guarantee that you can have the day off and you won't know for sure until the schedule comes out.
yes, my niece was "guaranteed" her 3 weeks off LOL!

So apparently you worked for a jerk. That doesn't make all fast food jobs subject to the same rules :)

You are a much better person than me to agree to this for a friend

She refers to us and aunt/uncle but she's like a daughter to us. Known her since she was 6. No parent in her life. We've been a mentor to her all these years. She and her friends are just in a tough part of life where its difficult to make hard plans....they can, but their bosses can't! It was so easy when she was younger, we'd just go!!

So apparently you worked for a jerk. That doesn't make all fast food jobs subject to the same rules :)

True, but at least around here the vast majority of fast food managers are jerks!! They treat their lower rank employees as dispensable. If you don't like their rules they do not care if you quit, there are plenty more wanting an entry level job.

True, but at least around here the vast majority of fast food managers are jerks!! They treat their lower rank employees as dispensable. If you don't like their rules they do not care if you quit, there are plenty more wanting an entry level job.
And they wonder why it's impossible to fill the jobs (at least around here). No idea where you are but here, there are not anyone wanting to fill the entry level jobs.

And they wonder why it's impossible to fill the jobs (at least around here). No idea where you are but here, there are not anyone wanting to fill the entry level jobs.

Depends on part of country. There are parts where many teens and college aged that do not want to work and other areas where most do! I've not seen many fast food/retail places struggling to find workers here.

So, have you decided what you are going to do? Just bite the bullet and buy a refundable ticket?

Book you, wife, and niece and tell the friend (whoever she picks) to pay their own ticket?

Exactly this!

We took one of my son's friends a couple years ago. Her mom bought her ticket. I bought ours. Her mom also bought her theme park ticket, and I paid for most meals.

I'd just book for yourselves, and if a friend wants to come along, they will need to buy their ticket.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter