African Safari Adventure - Days 10 - today (Victoria Falls / Mozambique)

soccerdad72

DIS Veteran
From Chobe Game Lodge, we were picked up and driven to the border of Zimbabwe, which was an interesting experience at immigration and customs, but we made it through. It was about another hour from there to Victoria Falls. A couple months ago, we were notified by our travel agent that the original hotel that we were booked in was pretty much 100% booked up by a corporate group. While we still had our rooms confirmed, she thought we’d understandably be more comfortable elsewhere, so she switched us to a different resort. Good move, I thought. On top of it, she upgraded us to the club rooms and tossed in a dinner and drumming show at a neighboring Boma restaurant.

The resort was beautiful and quiet - we quickly got settled and headed right out for a helicopter ride over the falls. The ride was way overpriced and totally touristy, but we did get some great pics of the falls. From there, we got dropped off down at the falls National Park, which again, is really touristy and overpriced ($50 a person entry fee), but we figured we had to go see if from ground level. Again, worth the trip, but a one time sort of thing. I’ve been to Niagara Falls a number of times, but that doesn’t even come close to matching Victoria Falls (aside from on the tourist trap level 😉).

We came back to the resort, hit the club lounge for happy hour and then went to Boma for dinner. Again, a complete tourist trap, but at least it was complimentary. Food was decent enough and the drumming show was kind of cool.

We decided just to sleep in and get a late breakfast. This was just a one night stopover (which was the right choice) and we had an afternoon flight back to Johannesburg. Unfortunately, we needed to head back there for one more night, as all the flights to most destinations go through ‘Jo-berg’, as everyone was calling it. Pretty simple flight and transfer back to the same hotel that we were at for the beginning leg of our trip, which worked out well in that we were able to leave a bag there that was all beach stuff and things we didn’t need for the safari, saving us bags and weight for the small planes.

The next morning, we got up, had some breakfast and headed back to the airport for our flight to Mozambique.

And here we are, relaxing and resting for the final few days before heading back to reality. We leave Thursday afternoon, arriving back home Friday morning (through Jo-berg, or course).

If you’re ever in the vicinity of Mozambique, I highly recommend Santorini Mozambique, in the town of Vilanculos. This place is incredible. Styled after the Greek town (obviously 😉), we have two suites of the five here and they are incredible. The service is off the charts too - we have our own personal butler, the food rivals most 5 star restaurants, and the beach is basically all ours all day. If it wasn’t a 18 hour trip from home, I would come back here in a heartbeat.

Once home, I’ll try to post a thread of some additional pics, once I’ve had time to go through everything. I hope everyone enjoyed reading it. Please let me know if you have any questions. IMG_1421.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1429.jpeg
    IMG_1429.jpeg
    39.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1436.jpeg
    IMG_1436.jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1440.jpeg
    IMG_1440.jpeg
    85.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1447.jpeg
    IMG_1447.jpeg
    55.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1449.jpeg
    IMG_1449.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 9
Great trip report....loved reading it! Sounds like you guys had an amazing time. Thanks so much for sharing :)

Another great report, @soccerdad72. Really sounds wonderful. Great pictures. Your TA hyperlink goes to DU. Is that who put the trip together?

--->

New DISboards Posts

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest