Advice - SF, Sac, & Yosemite in 4 days???

Snurk71

DIS Veteran
Looking for some advice on a mid-July quasi-business trip that we're trying to extend a little on both ends to see some of northern CA.

We're flying into SFO late on a Thursday, thinking about the redeye back Monday night. Friday late morning to early afternoon we're planning on touring the Disney museum (have to see it). We have to be in Sacramento by early Friday evening (4:00 - 5:00), and have an event all day Saturday in Sacramento. We had Sunday slotted for Yosemite, but just realized it's a 3-4 hour drive from Sac and then 3-4 hours back to SF. Monday's plan is to spend the day in SF (Fisherman's Wharf, Golden Gate Bridge, ride the cables, see Lombard St - 1st level touristy stuff).

So, based on our limited time do you think taking off from Sac early Sunday to spend the day in Yosemite is worth it? Maybe drive back halfway to SF Sunday night to break up the driving some? It looks like the Eldorado National Forest is closer to Sac, but if we're going for some nature experience should we do Yosemite for sure?

I don't see us wanting to spend 2 straight days in SF (Sun-Mon), by the way.

Thanks

Looking for some advice on a mid-July quasi-business trip that we're trying to extend a little on both ends to see some of northern CA.

We're flying into SFO late on a Thursday, thinking about the redeye back Monday night. Friday late morning to early afternoon we're planning on touring the Disney museum (have to see it). We have to be in Sacramento by early Friday evening (4:00 - 5:00), and have an event all day Saturday in Sacramento. We had Sunday slotted for Yosemite, but just realized it's a 3-4 hour drive from Sac and then 3-4 hours back to SF. Monday's plan is to spend the day in SF (Fisherman's Wharf, Golden Gate Bridge, ride the cables, see Lombard St - 1st level touristy stuff).

So, based on our limited time do you think taking off from Sac early Sunday to spend the day in Yosemite is worth it? Maybe drive back halfway to SF Sunday night to break up the driving some? It looks like the Eldorado National Forest is closer to Sac, but if we're going for some nature experience should we do Yosemite for sure?

I don't see us wanting to spend 2 straight days in SF (Sun-Mon), by the way.

Thanks

I personally would not be driving to Yosemite for a short period. I would save that for when you have more time at a later date. I live in Sac. It just depends if you can endure the drive and spend a short time there and then drive back to frisco. I would be looking for other things to do that are a little closer to visit.

I'd skip Yosemite, perhaps if you want to see redwoods head back to San Francisco and drive North to the Muir woods.

Why not 2 days in San Francisco? The list you have for Monday is quite extensive to get done in one day.

Allow 4-6 hours for the Disney Museum - we were there for 4.5 hours and could have stayed a few more hours - there is tons and tons of reading involved.

The wharf, cable cars, bridge and Lombard street in one day during peak season could be done (maybe) but you will be running, taking lots of cabs etc. Start at the bridge early, then head to the wharf and park ($30-40 for the day), get tickets for the cable cars and get in line.
I would take the line out of the wharf to Union square and back. There are a couple of maps of the different lines online. There is a cable car that goes right to the top of Lombard. The lines to board can be very long, you could wait upwards of an hour or more on each side.
We generally get a cable car pass and then got on at the "non tourist" cable car stops that are along the lines. They are just like buses and have numerous stops

This is what I would do:
Arrive Thursday night
Hit the Disney Museum as soon as it opens Friday morning
Head out mid afternoon to Sacramento - its about a 2 hour drive depending on where into Sac you are heading and the traffic.

Spend Saturday doing your Sac thing

Sunday - head back towards San Francisco, go to the Bridge, wander,explore and perhaps take a "cityGuide" tour of the bridge.
Then drive N. to the Muir woods, Muir beach etc. Return to the city for the night.
Monday Morning
Head to the wharf and park, take the cable car ride over the hill and back, stopping at Lombard, its fun to walk down, not as much fun to walk up;)
back to the wharf for lunch and sight seeing until you need to head to the airport.

Where are you planning on staying? That makes a difference in what you have easy access to.

It is a long drive to Yosemite from Sac.

If you're looking for a nature experience, my recommendation would be to head towards Lake Tahoe and have a look at the outdoorsey things there instead of Yosemite. Sure it's not as spectacular as Yosemite but it is very pretty around Tahoe as well. It is about a 90 minute drive from Sac to Lake Tahoe.

The alternative would be to look for a night in the Napa Valley region and having a look there.

But there are HEAPS to do in San Francisco. You could spend Sunday going to Golden Gate Park, head across the bridge to Sausalito [and then Muir Woods (which will be busy at the weekend)] and seeing Fisherman's Wharf. If you went to and stayed at Napa on the Sunday, you could drive back via Muir Woods on the Monday and over the bridge into the downtown area.

On Monday, you could do the cable car ride (which if you do the Powell/Mason line will get you back to Fisherman's Wharf or get off at...) Lombard Street, Coit Tower, North Beach (inc St Peter and St Paul Church in Washington Square), Chinatown and the downtown area. If you have time, you might want to consider heading towards Alamo Square to see the Painted Ladies or alternatively go looking for 60's psychadelia at Haight Ashbury. Both Alamo and Haight Ashbury can be got to on the Muni buses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter