Advice please - how best to support

WIDisneyFan

DIS Veteran
I have been on this DIS boards for a few years now and thought this would be a great place to ask for a little advice on the best way to support a "new" military family. I am looking for any hints or tips that you could offer so following is the story.

My brother-in-law is due to report for basic training on January 7th. He is now officially a member of the Minnesota National Guard and, as I understand it, will be completing basic at Fort Jackson in South Carolina. He and my sister have been married for just about 2 years and they have a young daughter and another on the way. This is a decision that they both put a lot of thought into and are both VERY comfortable with even though they understand it will not be easy, and with the current global political situation there is a good chance he may end up deployed at some point in time.

I give both of them a great deal of credit for how they have handled this decision (and I am very proud of both of them for it!). The military has been something that my brother-in-law has always felt called to and now is his time.

The one part that makes things a bit more difficult as far as providing support is distance. They live in the Minneapolis area, and the closest family is in Milwaukee - which does include me and my wife and kids. (it is about a 6-6.5 hour drive door to door).

I know they will be fine, but she will always be my little sister (I am about 10 years older than her) so I want and need to help out - it's a big brother thing! With all that in mind any hints, tips, things to say / not say, or other random thought would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance for your help!

ETA: I am not sure if it matters, but my sister and brother-in-law are both in their mid 20's and both college grads

Congrats and welcome to the military family.

What is BIL's MOS? Where will he be going for AIT?

My DS(19) is Texas Army National Guard, graduated basics from Ft. Leonard Wood in November and is now at AIT in San Antonio.

I don't have a lot of advice for you. I'm sorry. Does your sister work? Do they need any financial help while he is at basics. Do you have a phone number for a close friend or neighbor in case you can't get ahold of her for a few days.
After he ships he will get an address, make sure your sister passes this information on to others. If something were to happen to her or the kids would someone in the family know how to notify him?
He will need lots of letters from home while at basics, make sure you help with writing some. The burden of making sure a letter a day is sent can be hard. Make sure they can afford to travel to graduation, that can be an expense but it's needed for all involved.

I can't think of anything else right now but feel free to PM me anytime.

For now-just call her often and let her know you are there if she needs you-and be an ear-being alone with a small child is a challenge-especially if she is working-he will be gone a while-BCT (Basic Combat Training) is 9 weeks-how long his AIT will be will be dependant on his MOS ( Military Occupational Specaily) it ranges from 8 weeks for 11B ( infantry rifleman) to almost a year for some of the 68 ( medical) and 35 ( intelligence) specailites.
Is he going to be a way when the baby is born? Its not something the military gives them leave for-so if he is if you could arrange to be there to help her out it would be a wonderful thing.
As far as what to say or not say-let her know that you are proud of what he is doing-and that you are sure she is up to the task as well-and dont borrow trouble-no matter WHAT those drill seargents tell him-they dont know what his orders will be so the YouaregoingtodeployrightoutofAIT stuff is bunk unless you know-or she is told by his UNIT that they are being deployed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter