Adventure of the Seas-Southern Caribbean

hgon76

DIS Veteran
Going on our 4 th DCL cruise next month. While we've enjoyed our cruises with DCL, with children getting older, DCL's lack of new itineraries, new OBB changes, & price increases, we've decided its time to try something new. I was only considering the "newer ships" in RCCL's fleet, but noticing they pretty much have DCL's same old itineraries. AOS has a GREAT itinerary we'd love to do. And the price is unbelievable. We can get a Deluxe Balcony for a fraction of the price we paid for ocean view on Disney. I see AOS is going in for dry dock. So, that's a plus. Any info on this ship would be appreciated. I see a Roller Blading rink is onboard. Skates rented? Bring own? Also Wondering how RCCL's booking works. How do you get "extras"? We use our Disney Visa for points to earn for DCL OBC. Anything comparable for RCCL? Is Deposit refundable up to a certain # of days before cruise? Do prices generally increase like DCL? Thanks! I'm sure I'll think of more questions.....lol

I love the S. Caribbean! Some of the ports remind me of what the Eastern ports use to be like in the 80s. RCCL has a Visa card where you can earn points for redemption. The RCCL web site has a link that explains it. I earned enough points to pay for my adult daughter's fare and get some on board credits. You can also take a virtual tour of the ship on the web site.

. . . I see a Roller Blading rink is onboard. Skates rented? Bring own?
On the Mariner of the Seas, they provided roller blades and pads free of charge.

. . . We use our Disney Visa for points to earn for DCL OBC. Anything comparable for RCCL?
Earn points with a RCI Visa, and redeem them for onboard credits.

. . . Is Deposit refundable up to a certain # of days before cruise?
Yes.

. . . Do prices generally increase like DCL?
In my experience, yes. Though YMMV.

Woody

We've sailed on the Fantasy twice in the last 2 years and have been blown away by our experiences. We're currently booked on the 10/4/14 Southern. I'm also booked on the 4/19/15 Southern on RC. There's a $2,500 price difference. I'm waiting for the rest of DCL's 2015 itinerary to see if they go South again and what opening day prices will be. If I can't justify the difference, I'll be canceling DCL. We sailed on Adventure for our honeymoon 10 years ago and enjoyed ourselves. That was pre kids. I am nervous that I'll spend the cruise comparing it to Disney but still can't get past the $2500.

I am nervous that I'll spend the cruise comparing it to Disney but still can't get past the $2500.
This is my fear. DH has sailed RCCL (20 years ago) & enjoyed it. He's ready for a change from DCL. Especially with the price difference. And the itineraries offered by other lines. But he also keeps telling me to be prepared "it's not Disney. But it's still nice" I'm not sure what to make of that. lol

I'm currently booked for my family's 1st RCL cruise this Nov 2014 on Adventure out of San Juan. I also could just not justify the cost difference of DCL out of San Juan. For 2 adults, for just the price of my DCL balcony cabin only, I was able to get my RCL balcony, soda package, gratuities, insurance, hotel for 1 night, & round trip airfare. !!! Times that by 4 cabins, and the savings are significant.
Also, right now for many sailings, (including dates out of San Juan) RCL is offering OBC if booked by Feb 28. $50 ocean view, $150 balcony, $300 suites. On their website just click on the ad, then click where you want to go to see available dates. The promo code was YOURWOW.
I have to admit I'm a little sad that it won't be Disney, but I'm keeping an open mind, and will enjoy it for what it is, a floating hotel to take me new places that we are very excited to see. It's the same blue ocean and the same great ports that Disney visits. I have looked up many google images and you tube videos, and I think the ship looks very pretty, especially with her getting ready for a mini makeover soon.

I'm currently booked for my family's 1st RCL cruise this Nov 2014 on Adventure out of San Juan. I also could just not justify the cost difference of DCL out of San Juan. For 2 adults, for just the price of my DCL balcony cabin only, I was able to get my RCL balcony, soda package, gratuities, insurance, hotel for 1 night, & round trip airfare. !!! Times that by 4 cabins, and the savings are significant. Also, right now for many sailings, (including dates out of San Juan) RCL is offering OBC if booked by Feb 28. $50 ocean view, $150 balcony, $300 suites. On their website just click on the ad, then click where you want to go to see available dates. The promo code was YOURWOW. I have to admit I'm a little sad that it won't be Disney, but I'm keeping an open mind, and will enjoy it for what it is, a floating hotel to take me new places that we are very excited to see. It's the same blue ocean and the same great ports that Disney visits. I have looked up many google images and you tube videos, and I think the ship looks very pretty, especially with her getting ready for a mini makeover soon.
We are trying to decide between Nov or Jan for our cruise. You're not booked for thanksgiving week by any chance? Curious to see if there's any deals for that week airfare wise. Because the cruise itself that week isn't bad at all. For a holiday week, on a balcony it's Cheaper than I've ever paid for DCL on an off-peak week in an inside room. If I can find decent airfare, it's worth it.

Darn... you guys have me looking at this now! For us, the price difference compared to DCL is small, so we are going to stick to the Magic. (2 adults, 10% discount and OBC, inside stateroom) But that Southern A that visits Aruba and Curacao... I might be all over that itinerary! We considered RCCL for Bermuda but we have chosen NCL in 2015 for that (unless RCCL changes to three port days).

For $2500, I would pick RCCL over DCL. It's a port intensive cruise so if you hate the ship, you suck it up for your one sea day, lol. ;)

We cruised on Adventure of the Seas last spring, although not to the Southern Caribbean (Transatlantic, San Juan to Southampton, England).

I boarded the ship, knowing that it wasn't going to be Disney, and expecting to compare for the entire two weeks, and then go back to Disney. We had an absolutely wonderful cruise. So much so that we are taking a cruise on Explorer of the Seas (yes, the one that's "sick" right now) in 13 days.

We've done 15 cruises on DCL, and cruised both classes of ship, although we prefer the classic ships. We found the size of Adventure to be similar to the size of the Dream class, but we really liked the arrangement of space much better on Adventure. She is designed with a lot more indoor spaces for people to gather and people watch, enjoy some food, etc. We have found that DCL is lacking in places for people to just hang out, unless you're outside.

We were booked on the Eastbound Transatlantic on Magic for last May, but had to cancel, and took Adventure instead. We had booked an inside room on Magic, but for less than half the price got an outside room on Adventure. The room was a bit smaller (20 sq. feet smaller), but the storage space was more than adequate, and it was a treat to be able to see outside. Even with all of our onboard expenses, the total price of that cruise was less than just the booking price on Magic. We thought the quality was very similar, the service was just as good, the food was just as good. The main theater entertainment wasn't quite as good, but Disney does that better than just about anyone.

We thought the pool areas on Adventure were much better than similar areas on Disney, although the pools aren't heated, and the water was starting to get a bit chilly once we got closer to England!

We are an older couple and traveled without kids, so we can't tell you anything at all about kids areas or kids programming. In fact, I think there were less than 30 children on the entire ship for that cruise.

It certainly wasn't a Disney cruise, but it was an equally wonderful experience, and the price difference will probably tip the balance of our cruising towards Royal Caribbean in the future.

Beth

I think we're ready for a change. AOS sounds like a great ship to test out. And we LOVE the itinerary. Hope they get the EOS cleaned up for you before your cruise. Unfortunately, I've learned the hard way it can happen in any ship. My daughter got NoroVirus on our 2nd to last day on the Fantasy. It was awful. Have a great trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter