Adding resale contract to existing

leelee9878

DIS Veteran
I purchased direct through Disney before I got married so it was under my maiden name, when I got married and changed my name I changed it with Disney. I just checked the deed with the county and it’s under my maiden name. I’m purchasing a resale contract and I want it to be added to my existing membership but I’m not sure what name to put on the resale contract. Has anyone been in a similar situation?

Last edited:
Are you buying the new contract in just your name?Or with your spouse?

If alone, then all that matters is that DVc has it correct. You just need to add your current membership number to the paperwork and I always email MA once I close with all the information to make sure they know

Deeds don’t get updated unless you go through the process to file a new deed. Now, if you are buying with your spouse, then it will be a new membership because the other contract is just owned by you.

If alone, then all that matters is that DVc has it correct. You just need to add your current membership number to the paperwork and I always email MA once I close with all the information to make sure they know

Deeds don’t get updated unless you go through the process to file a new deed. Now, if you are buying with your spouse, then it will be a new membership because the other contract is just owned by you.
I will be buying the resale just in my name.

So to confirm, I would fill out the purchase contract with my legal name (married) and provide my membership number. Then once I close email MA informing them I closed and am essentially the same person?

I will be buying the resale just in my name.

So to confirm, I would fill out the purchase contract with my legal name (married) and provide my membership number. Then once I close email MA informing them I closed and am essentially the same person?
Yes! And be sure to let your broker and the title company know too so that can be added as a note,

As long as your current membership is with your married name, and the contract is there, then it should not be an issue at all!

Yes! And be sure to let your broker and the title company know too so that can be added as a note,

As long as your current membership is with your married name, and the contract is there, then it should not be an issue at all!
Thank you so much! That puts me more at ease.

Wait, unless I’ve misunderstood the rules or the exact situation the OP is in, I’m not sure you’re correct here Sandi. I thought a change to the contract name, like even adding a middle name that wasn’t there previously would trigger a new membership (perhaps in wrong here?) The OP said their existing contract is still under their maiden name, not married name (at least as shown on the county deed). So if their new resale contract has their married name on it, won’t that make a second membership?

To have them under the same membership, if the first contract is with their maiden name, doesn’t the second contract have to be as well? Are married names exceptions?

Wait, unless I’ve misunderstood the rules or the exact situation the OP is in, I’m not sure you’re correct here Sandi. I thought a change to the contract name, like even adding a middle name that wasn’t there previously would trigger a new membership (perhaps in wrong here?) The OP said their existing contract is still under their maiden name, not married name (at least as shown on the county deed). So if their new resale contract has their married name on it, won’t that make a second membership?

To have them under the same membership, if the first contract is with their maiden name, doesn’t the second contract have to be as well? Are married names exceptions?
My name with Disney is my married name but the deed with the county is still under my maiden name.

ETA: my membership docs/card all have my married name. It’s just the deed that has my maiden name.

My name with Disney is my married name but the deed with the county is still under my maiden name.

ETA: my membership docs/card all have my married name. It’s just the deed that has my maiden name.
Ah I see, ok then I’d defer to what Sandi said, she is most definitely the most knowledgeable here when it comes to this stuff!

Last edited:
Ah I see, ok then I’d defer to what Sandi said, she is most definitely the most knowledgeable here when it comes to this stuff!

The reason is it can go under the same membership is that the name change was created by a marriage.

So, she is the same person. Now, if she ever wants to sell the contract that it is her maiden name, she would need to provide documentation to show she is married as that is her legal name.

I only have one membership (w/ 4 contracts in it) but I’m curious when you have 2 or more memberships because you have different use years on your contracts or different names on the contracts do they still all show up on your dashboard I can’t quite visualize how it would work w/ more than one membership.

I only have one membership (w/ 4 contracts in it) but I’m curious when you have 2 or more memberships because you have different use years on your contracts or different names on the contracts do they still all show up on your dashboard?

Yes. You just toggle between each when you are booking.

Don't resale and direct contracts go into separate memberships, even if they have the same use year? I thought they separated or did I misunderstand that?

Don't resale and direct contracts go into separate memberships, even if they have the same use year? I thought they separated or did I misunderstand that?
Same membership. As long as the people on the deeds are the same. When we bought our resale contract last year, my biggest fear was getting a separate membership as my DW had her maiden name on the original contract and her married name on the resale contract. As long as MA has your legal name change on file, it will be the same membership as long as the people are the same on both contracts. My DW has to submit the marriage certificate and a copy of her DL to MA to update her name. We've never changed our deeds yet.

You can have a combination of direct and resale points in the same membership.

If resale has restrictions, when you go to book, it won’t show up as an option to use.

I have direct VGF and resale RIv in my Dec UY. When I book RIV, both show up.

I I try to book anything else, only VGf does.

You can have a combination of direct and resale points in the same membership.

If resale has restrictions, when you go to book, it won’t show up as an option to use.

I have direct VGF and resale RIv in my Dec UY. When I book RIV, both show up.

I I try to book anything else, only VGf does.
Someone explained it to me otherwise in the past, so we've got one UY for our resale, and one UY with our direct. It's good to know I could mix them and be able to shift them around for reservations as this had been complicating our debate over how/where to add on right now. (specific restrictions being a separate matter)

Someone explained it to me otherwise in the past, so we've got one UY for our resale, and one UY with our direct. It's good to know I could mix them and be able to shift them around for reservations as this had been complicating our debate over how/where to add on right now. (specific restrictions being a separate matter)
If you have 2 UYs, one for resale and one for direct, those will be separate memberships, so you wouldn't be able to combine them into 1 reservation, unless you transfer the points between memberships.

If you have 2 UYs, one for resale and one for direct, those will be separate memberships, so you wouldn't be able to combine them into 1 reservation, unless you transfer the points between memberships.
Sorry- yes, I meant we are talking about getting another contract, and it's good to know however we do that, we can do it with either UY. I thought having a single UY with direct and resale they would be separated the same way they are between UY. It's good to know there are ONLY divisions between UY, not purchase type.

You really should be ok since you previously provided MA with your name change documentation. I would call and ask them to confirm the legal name they have you under and the spelling (i.e. if your married name is hyphenated or something like that) and then use the exact same name when filling out the paperwork for your resale contract.

My direct was in my maiden name from 1998. I was married in 2005 and only updated to my married name w/ MA last year when I was purchasing resale. I gave MA my marriage certificate and verified the spelling of my updated name on their files and then resale process went fine. Good luck.

If they are different UYs, you can only
Mix and match with a transfer what you have.

But if you add on more points and out in either of those, you will be able to!

I have a question…
Can I buy resale points, same UY same resort as my direct contract, and combine them to book at VR or Wilderness cabins or am I’m restricted to use only my direct points?

Latest posts

facebook twitter