Accommodations for sit down meals

tom1944

DIS Veteran
My wife has an immune system disease and would most likely qualify for an accommodation at the parks however she will never ask so that is a non starter.

My question has to do with sit down meals. Her illness has caused damage to her esophagus and it makes eating very difficult. There is no way she could eat a full adult meal. Is there any chance she would be allowed to order from the children’s menu?

She will not finish that meal either.

Would she need to bring medical documentation

My teenager eats very little due to a GI condition. She mostly gets tube feeds. They do allow her to order off the children's menu but they usually charge her the adult price

You can ask for an accommodation, but don't expect it; many folks have been charged for someone tube-fed who didn't eat a crumb.

I would avoid any AYCTE or buffet meals that are charged by the guest's age and usually everyone at the table is charged regardless of how little (if any) someone ate.

She may be able to order off the children's menu at some venues, though the restaurant may charge an "adult" price. I'd suggest looking at menus. You might consider a shared plate if she eats that little, or maybe she would order just an appetizer.

Anyone can order from the kids menu at Disney-owned restaurants. As mentioned above, you'll pay the adult price for adult-sized portions.

You may be recalling that people on the Disney Dining Plan could only order from the adult (age 10+) or kids menu (3-9). People paying cash nearly always could order from whichever menu they wished unless the meal was a set price such as buffets or all-you-can-eat family-style.

Generally, you can tell which are Disney-owned by scrolling down to see if there's an allergy-friendly section. Disney restaurants will have one; non-Disney typically don't and may restrict adults to the adult menu.

Your wife may do better buying what she might be able to eat from resort QS cold cases and simply ordering a drink in restaurants if that won't make her feel too odd, perhaps eating a bit from your plate.

Could she order an appetizer only?
This is what I was going to recommend. The kids menus are the same 5 thing in almost all of the locations. With the appetizer menu, you at least get a bit of variety. I would look over the menus and see what looks good.

The kids menus are the same 5 thing in almost all of the locations.

While that may be true at QS (where we rarely eat) or on standard kids TS menus, I've not found that the case with the kids allergy-friendly TS menus. The food will be plainly cooked and seasoned, with more variety in veggies from one place to another than I'd have anticipated. At most, a simple meal of meat/fish, 1-2 veggies or fruit is quite possible and may provide better nutritional balance than appetizers which tend to be either protein or veggie heavy.

I often ordered this way on our 2021 trip because so many more TS had dishes gluten-free OR dairy-free but not both unless I had nothing but salad. Possibly that resulted from pandemic shortages, but that was the first trip I felt restricted to the a-f kids menus more places than not. Few chefs offered to create or modify dishes to suit my needs. Several told me that dishes were prepared in advance so that sauces could not be removed or altered.

Though the OP's situation is one of amount, I think getting better nutrition is more easily accomplished with the allergy-friendly kids menus.

Btw, documentation is unnecessary and will not be looked at even if you bring it. Disney doesn't want to know why your wife eats as she does, only what may meet her needs better.

Last edited:
While that may be true at QS (where we rarely eat) or on standard kids TS menus, I've not found that the case with the kids allergy-friendly TS menus. The food will be plainly cooked and seasoned, with more variety in veggies from one place to another than I'd have anticipated. At most, a simple meal of meat/fish, 1-2 veggies or fruit is quite possible and may provide better nutritional balance than appetizers which tend to be either protein or veggie heavy.

I often ordered this way on our 2021 trip because so many more TS had dishes gluten-free OR dairy-free but not both unless I had nothing but salad. Possibly that resulted from pandemic shortages, but that was the first trip I felt restricted to the a-f kids menus more places than not. Few chefs offered to create or modify dishes to suit my needs. Several told me that dishes were prepared in advance so that sauces could not be removed or altered.

Though the OP's situation is one of amount, I think getting better nutrition is more easily accomplished with the allergy-friendly kids menus.

Btw, documentation is unnecessary and will not be looked at even if you bring it. Disney doesn't want to know why your wife eats as she does, only what may meet her needs better.
Do you charged a higher price when ordering off of the kid's menu? I was thinking that the OP and spouse could order an appetizer and entree and split it. There is usually more than enough food to share when one person barely eats. I have never asked to see the allergy menu for kids, there was never a need to so I will take your word for it that it has better options. I know that some of the sit down restaurants have better options for kids, but the counter service ones are a bit of a joke.

The comments about buffets and prix fixe are true, but you could ask for the Chef at any other table service restaurants and see what can be done. They'll come out and talk to you about any special dietary restrictions and can authorize things a server might not.

Do you charged a higher price when ordering off of the kid's menu?

Yes, you're given and charged for an adult-sized portion.

The amount being an issue has often been raised on Disney message boards by those who've had weight-loss surgeries and physically cannot eat a typical kids portion.

Thry're commonly told what you suggest below. That's the only method of eating as they wish and must at most restaurants.
I was thinking that the OP and spouse could order an appetizer and entree and split it. There is usually more than enough food to share when one person barely eats.

Personally, I've often eaten at the character meal buffets and had only a little food. Those are more about the experience anyway, as the food is often nothing to get excited about.

Once at 1900 PF, I ate only a strip of bacon and a Mickey waffle with some juice and coffee. As much as I enjoy roleplaying with characters, I still had a great breakfast worth every bit of what it cost.

Obviously, those on a budget might be unwilling/unable to do that. We go for the Disney experience, generally speaking. If we enjoyed ourselves, that's largely what we're there for. We can get much better food at home oftentimes--in our own kitchen.

The comments about buffets and prix fixe are true, but you could ask for the Chef at any other table service restaurants and see what can be done. They'll come out and talk to you about any special dietary restrictions and can authorize things a server might not.

While this is generally true, it's ordinarily only for allergies and food intolerances where substitutions can be made, not being unable to eat a typical portion.

I've seen lots of questions about why a person can't get a very small portion, usually by those who've had gastric surgery. I don't recall ever seeing anyone say they were able to.

Restaurants likely have a strict portion/price standard they must use no matter what the diner's needs are.

Yes, you're given and charged for an adult-sized portion.

The amount being an issue has often been raised on Disney message boards by those who've had weight-loss surgeries and physically cannot eat a typical kids portion.

Thry're commonly told what you suggest below. That's the only method of eating as they wish and must at most restaurants.

Personally, I've often eaten at the character meal buffets and had only a little food. Those are more about the experience anyway, as the food is often nothing to get excited about.

Once at 1900 PF, I ate only a strip of bacon and a Mickey waffle with some juice and coffee. As much as I enjoy roleplaying with characters, I still had a great breakfast worth every bit of what it cost.

Obviously, those on a budget might be unwilling/unable to do that. We go for the Disney experience, generally speaking. If we enjoyed ourselves, that's largely what we're there for. We can get much better food at home oftentimes--in our own kitchen.
See now this is what bothers me about the situation. If someone wants a smaller portion, that really is not an option. As you and others have said, even ordering off of the kid's menu, you still get a bigger portion. It just seems so wasteful. That is why I like the appetizer option better.

It bothers/has bothered lots of people other than thee and me.

It does seem ridiculous that small enough portions can't be served. Then again, how could the kitchen determine how small to make them without getting complaints it was too small? That's why, when my younger sister was too small to eat much of a restaurant's kids meal, Mom just ordered her one side dish and added bits of her own meal.

I wouldn't like that the majority of what I was served will be wasted either. Which is why sharing may work better, whether the OP finishes her appetizer or they both eat from his order.

Now this doesn't usually affect the price, but if your main concern is food waste, this is what I've done.
My granddaughter and I have gone to both DL and WDW together. She's pretty picky due to sensory issues/Gerd etc. I always explain that I understand the cost will be the same, but please bring a half portion if we eat at a table service and the only thing that she wants is on adult menu. At Liberty Tree Tavern family style( which is the best meal I had last trip, pot roast was super yummy!,) I asked for only a portion for 1, which was still too much for both of us, but I would have felt super guilty wasting 2x food.

It's been uneven, but sometimes we get a reduced adult entree at a kids meal price, or pay full price. QS you are usually locked in, but table service seems to have more leeway.

It bothers/has bothered lots of people other than thee and me.

It does seem ridiculous that small enough portions can't be served. Then again, how could the kitchen determine how small to make them without getting complaints it was too small? That's why, when my younger sister was too small to eat much of a restaurant's kids meal, Mom just ordered her one side dish and added bits of her own meal.

I wouldn't like that the majority of what I was served will be wasted either. Which is why sharing may work better, whether the OP finishes her appetizer or they both eat from his order.
Yeah, we would split an adult meal between our two kids when they were young. Mostly because we did not like the options on the kids menus. We have split meals between us many times as non of us are big eaters. For example for 3 of us, we would order an appetizer and then 2 adult meals and share. I get that restaurants need to make money, but the food waste is insane, especially since they don't give you to go containers at most of the restaurant in the park, even if you say that you are leaving the park right after.

This was a couple of years ago, but my husband, who is a very restricted eater, and needs things to be very plain, was able to order from the children's menu at Citrico's, and was brought a child's portion, child priced, and they were super accommodating about it. We would have paid for an adult portion, but he ordered three courses, and it was enough food for him (and would probably have been for most adults).

We were extremely grateful, because that let my DS enjoy a birthday dinner at a restaurant without a single thing on the adult menu that his father would/could eat, and my husband got a very plain but well cooked meal that he enjoyed a great deal (chicken noodle soup, grilled chicken with rice, and vanilla ice cream).

Generally we've had no trouble ordering kid's meals for adults/teenagers when the circumstances warranted it, and I don't think we've ever had them insist on bringing and charging for an adult portion.

Obviously you can't do that at fixed price meals though.

Sounds like yet another thing to file under "You can ask and it might happen, but no guarantees."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter