ABD Newbies - Questions about Hollywood/Disneyland Tour

peppers

Mouseketeer
My dad and I are going on the Hollywood/Disneyland adventure this fall and have never been on an ABD trip before. Our Vacationista said that it was OK for us to check a suitcase as well as have a carry-on wheeled suitcase and a personal item, even though the information online states otherwise. He said it wasn't required for us to use the backpacks we would be sent.

Curious for those who have been on these trips before, do most people bring the backpacks as their personal item? Was thinking those might be a little cumbersome for park days. Assuming a bus or large shuttle would be transporting us around; do people ever leave anything in these vehicles while on tour at the Walt Disney Studios for example? Trying to figure out what would be best, as my dad is a senior, and he is getting a teensy bit nervous about the details. We have a nice bag we share when we go to the parks at WDW, and I'm thinking that might be the way to go but was just curious what others typically do. In our welcome box, we got sticker luggage tags (2 per person), so I am guessing they might have extras if needed if we did bring a checked suitcase, a carry-on suitcase, and a personal bag (that was different from what we would be taking inside the parks).

Will we ever get a time-specific schedule once there, or do they tell you details each day prior? The online guide doesn't give specifics, and I've heard there are some super early mornings.

Regarding the gratuity envelopes we received - I have heard some of the Adventure Guides accept PayPal or Venmo. Do they bring this up on the last day, or how is this all discussed? We appreciate that all other tips are being handled, but we were a bit surprised the Adventure Guides' tips weren't included in the main cost of the trip as well - seemed a bit odd. Obviously, we want to show them our appreciation, don't get me wrong!

Again, this is all new to us, so I truly would appreciate advice, please! :)

We loved this ABD trip when we did it. You certainly do not need to use the backpacks ABD provides you. I can't speak to packing extra luggage as my wife and I only traveled with 2 large checked bags and our personal carry on bag. You'll be given guidance on expectations for the upcoming days so there will be no surprises unless something magical happens from your ABD guides. For gratuity we always ask up front on day one. Then we know if need to source cash or they can do a Venmo/Paypal. Personally we have given cash on all our previous trips unless guide asked for a different payment method.

I would say don't overthink this and trust in your guides that they will have everything covered and take excellent care of you and your dad.

IMG_1398.jpeg

IMG_5655.jpeg

My dad and I are going on the Hollywood/Disneyland adventure this fall and have never been on an ABD trip before. Our Vacationista said that it was OK for us to check a suitcase as well as have a carry-on wheeled suitcase and a personal item, even though the information online states otherwise. He said it wasn't required for us to use the backpacks we would be sent.

Curious for those who have been on these trips before, do most people bring the backpacks as their personal item? Was thinking those might be a little cumbersome for park days. Assuming a bus or large shuttle would be transporting us around; do people ever leave anything in these vehicles while on tour at the Walt Disney Studios for example? Trying to figure out what would be best, as my dad is a senior, and he is getting a teensy bit nervous about the details. We have a nice bag we share when we go to the parks at WDW, and I'm thinking that might be the way to go but was just curious what others typically do. In our welcome box, we got sticker luggage tags (2 per person), so I am guessing they might have extras if needed if we did bring a checked suitcase, a carry-on suitcase, and a personal bag (that was different from what we would be taking inside the parks).

Will we ever get a time-specific schedule once there, or do they tell you details each day prior? The online guide doesn't give specifics, and I've heard there are some super early mornings.

Regarding the gratuity envelopes we received - I have heard some of the Adventure Guides accept PayPal or Venmo. Do they bring this up on the last day, or how is this all discussed? We appreciate that all other tips are being handled, but we were a bit surprised the Adventure Guides' tips weren't included in the main cost of the trip as well - seemed a bit odd. Obviously, we want to show them our appreciation, don't get me wrong!

You may each bring a personal item, a wheeled carryon and a checked bag on the trip. That's what I always do on ABDs. I haven't done this particular trip, but the requirements are pretty standard unless there are internal flights for your trip, which the Hollywood/Disneyland ABD doesn't have.

And no, you don't need to use the backpacks ABD sends. I never have, I generally find they don't fit how I travel. On the trips I've done, only a very few people have brought the ABD backpacks. Use whatever you feel comfortable with! And the luggage tags are for the day when you transfer from Hollywood to Disneyland. And the Adventure Guides will definitely have extras if you need them.

You will be transported from place to place on a large luxury motorcoach. You are totally able to leave things on the motorcoach during activities. Your motorcoach driver either stays with the bus or it is locked up tight. I always bring extra stuff on the motorcoach that ends up getting left on the motorcoach. I have never had an issue with that. If there's an exception to that (if you are switching to another mode of transportation, etc, the Adventure Guides will let you know about that well in advance).

You will usually get more details on timing either during your meetup with the Adventure Guides or at the Welcome Dinner on Day 1. Then, at the end of each day, you will get the specifics on when breakfast is and when you are expected to meet up to leave for the next day's activities.

It is correct that the Adventure Guides' tips are not included (unless you are doing a River cruise, an Expedition cruise or a cruise add-on). Each Guide is different as to what form of payment they can/can't accept. I do wish there was some way that they communicated this because they will not bring it up, you have to ask. To me, it must be rather awkward for them to have each person come up to them and ask them what form of payment they accept for their tips. I know I find it rather awkward to ask. But they TOTALLY and completely earn and deserve the tips!! You can ALWAYS make it easy and just give them cash which everyone accepts, but I know electronic payments are physically easier.

Enjoy your ABD!! I'm sure you and your Dad will have a *FABULOUS* time!

Sayhello

We loved this ABD trip when we did it. You certainly do not need to use the backpacks ABD provides you. I can't speak to packing extra luggage as my wife and I only traveled with 2 large checked bags and our personal carry on bag. You'll be given guidance on expectations for the upcoming days so there will be no surprises unless something magical happens from your ABD guides. For gratuity we always ask up front on day one. Then we know if need to source cash or they can do a Venmo/Paypal. Personally we have given cash on all our previous trips unless guide asked for a different payment method.

I would say don't overthink this and trust in your guides that they will have everything covered and take excellent care of you and your dad.

View attachment 871245

View attachment 871247
Fun pictures! Thanks so very much; overthinking is our specialty - ha ha! :sunny:

You may each bring a personal item, a wheeled carryon and a checked bag on the trip. That's what I always do on ABDs. I haven't done this particular trip, but the requirements are pretty standard unless there are internal flights for your trip, which the Hollywood/Disneyland ABD doesn't have.

And no, you don't need to use the backpacks ABD sends. I never have, I generally find they don't fit how I travel. On the trips I've done, only a very few people have brought the ABD backpacks. Use whatever you feel comfortable with! And the luggage tags are for the day when you transfer from Hollywood to Disneyland. And the Adventure Guides will definitely have extras if you need them.

You will be transported from place to place on a large luxury motorcoach. You are totally able to leave things on the motorcoach during activities. Your motorcoach driver either stays with the bus or it is locked up tight. I always bring extra stuff on the motorcoach that ends up getting left on the motorcoach. I have never had an issue with that. If there's an exception to that (if you are switching to another mode of transportation, etc, the Adventure Guides will let you know about that well in advance).

You will usually get more details on timing either during your meetup with the Adventure Guides or at the Welcome Dinner on Day 1. Then, at the end of each day, you will get the specifics on when breakfast is and when you are expected to meet up to leave for the next day's activities.

It is correct that the Adventure Guides' tips are not included (unless you are doing a River cruise, an Expedition cruise or a cruise add-on). Each Guide is different as to what form of payment they can/can't accept. I do wish there was some way that they communicated this because they will not bring it up, you have to ask. To me, it must be rather awkward for them to have each person come up to them and ask them what form of payment they accept for their tips. I know I find it rather awkward to ask. But they TOTALLY and completely earn and deserve the tips!! You can ALWAYS make it easy and just give them cash which everyone accepts, but I know electronic payments are physically easier.

Enjoy your ABD!! I'm sure you and your Dad will have a *FABULOUS* time!

Sayhello
Super helpful to know that we could leave stuff on the motorcoach, and it would be secure. Thanks for all the info; truly appreciate your time. I'm really looking forward to it! :wave:

Super helpful to know that we could leave stuff on the motorcoach, and it would be secure. Thanks for all the info; truly appreciate your time. I'm really looking forward to it! :wave:
You are totally welcome! Feel free to ask ANY questions you have!! ❤️ This is a helpful group of people here!

Sayhello

Just to piggyback on what the PPs have said - you don't need to use the backpacks provided. We have been on 3 ABDs (about to go on our 4th) and I have never used the backpacks. Every day, your guides will tell you precisely where and when you need to meet to go on the tours, head to the parks, dinner, etc. They will take excellent care of you! I've loved all of our ABDs, but this one in particular is really, really special - enjoy!

Just to piggyback on what the PPs have said - you don't need to use the backpacks provided. We have been on 3 ABDs (about to go on our 4th) and I have never used the backpacks. Every day, your guides will tell you precisely where and when you need to meet to go on the tours, head to the parks, dinner, etc. They will take excellent care of you! I've loved all of our ABDs, but this one in particular is really, really special - enjoy!
Thank you so much! :earsgirl:

Most people bring their own backpacks or personal bags for the tour, not the AbD gifts. You don't need to bring much on the non-park days at the start, mainly just your camera. The guides will have water on the bus, so even the bottle is optional. A full park bag is probably overkill, just bring a purse or a small bag. The bus is exclusive to the group until you arrive at the Grand Californian, so you can leave your bag while visiting the studios or other locations. You can also leave any souvenirs you buy when visiting later places. The luggage stickers are only for suitcases that are going under the bus on your trip from Hollywood to Disneyland; you won't need them for personal items that you bring on the bus. And the guides also have more if you need them.

We got time details the day before. From the time you meet in the morning for your first activity to your free time, everything is taken care of by the guides. Just get there at the meeting time and you don't need to worry about it anymore. If you have a break in the middle of the day, they'll also tell you what time to meet up later.

Most guides accept Paypal and Venmo, or you can give them cash at breakfast the last morning. If they don't give you their accounts, then you can ask or text them. On the first day, they'll set up a group text with your party and both guides, and you can ask any questions there.

As for anything else you might need on the trip, there's a CVS near the first hotel where you can get snacks and basic toiletries. You check in with the guides on day one and have plenty of time to address any issues or concerns. It's much less stressful than other types of vacations.

If you'd like to see a more detailed look at what happens, I have a pretty detailed trip report, but it's also fun to leave some things as surprises: https://www.disboards.com/threads/backstage-magic-trip-report-round-two-more-adventures.3927555/

Last edited:
I've been on this Calfiornia trip 3 times. The very first time, I got a backpack that works for me, and I still use it for every vacation that I am on (even non-ABD), it's a good size, and very durable, and I love it. Unfortunately, they have never provided that backpack model again.

The other times I have been on ABD, the free backpack or bag they gave did not fit my travel needs (mainly too bulky), and so I have never used them.

I agree with what PP have said, they have covered it. I do want to echo that if you have any questions, any of us should be able to help!

The only thing "Required" on any of the ABD trips I have been on are the name tags, and "required" is perhaps too strong of a word, but it definitely helps everyone if you have them.

Most people bring their own backpacks or personal bags for the tour, not the AbD gifts. You don't need to bring much on the non-park days at the start, mainly just your camera. The guides will have water on the bus, so even the bottle is optional. A full park bag is probably overkill, just bring a purse or a small bag. The bus is exclusive to the group until you arrive at the Grand Californian, so you can leave your bag while visiting the studios or other locations. You can also leave any souvenirs you buy when visiting later places. The luggage stickers are only for suitcases that are going under the bus on your trip from Hollywood to Disneyland; you won't need them for personal items that you bring on the bus. And the guides also have more if you need them.

We got time details the day before. From the time you meet in the morning for your first activity to your free time, everything is taken care of by the guides. Just get there at the meeting time and you don't need to worry about it anymore. If you have a break in the middle of the day, they'll also tell you what time to meet up later.

Most guides accept Paypal and Venmo, or you can give them cash at breakfast the last morning. If they don't give you their accounts, then you can ask or text them. On the first day, they'll set up a group text with your party and both guides, and you can ask any questions there.

As for anything else you might need on the trip, there's a CVS near the first hotel where you can get snacks and basic toiletries. You check in with the guides on day one and have plenty of time to address any issues or concerns. It's much less stressful than other types of vacations.

If you'd like to see a more detailed look at what happens, I have a pretty detailed trip report, but it's also fun to leave some things as surprises: https://www.disboards.com/threads/backstage-magic-trip-report-round-two-more-adventures.3927555/
Thank you so much! I truly appreciate your advice and enjoyed reading your trip report very much as well!

Last edited:
I've been on this Calfiornia trip 3 times. The very first time, I got a backpack that works for me, and I still use it for every vacation that I am on (even non-ABD), it's a good size, and very durable, and I love it. Unfortunately, they have never provided that backpack model again.

The other times I have been on ABD, the free backpack or bag they gave did not fit my travel needs (mainly too bulky), and so I have never used them.

I agree with what PP have said, they have covered it. I do want to echo that if you have any questions, any of us should be able to help!

The only thing "Required" on any of the ABD trips I have been on are the name tags, and "required" is perhaps too strong of a word, but it definitely helps everyone if you have them.
I have seen there are quite a few ABD bags on eBay - what color was your backpack that you like so much? My dad and I will also be traveling later on Amtrak to visit a friend, and they have such specific measurements for bags (particularly the personal item). So, the luggage situation has been slightly overwhelming for me and VERY overwhelming for him (God bless him). I really want to keep it as simple as possible, but I'd like room for a few souvenirs!

Do people tend to stick to casual clothing like jeans and t-shirts - no dressy outfits required, right? (Again thinking about saving space.)

the backpack is a more traditional backpack in terms of size compared to the more recent ones, it is blue or purple (I am colorblind so I have issues sometimes). I will probably sadly need to retire it soon, it has been through a lot!

I have always stuck with casual clothing. You CAN get dressed up, and you are not discouraged from doing so, but there is no time you feel uncomfortable being dressed casual. There is a LOT of walking every day, so definitely wear comfortable shoes.

the backpack is a more traditional backpack in terms of size compared to the more recent ones, it is blue or purple (I am colorblind so I have issues sometimes). I will probably sadly need to retire it soon, it has been through a lot!

I have always stuck with casual clothing. You CAN get dressed up, and you are not discouraged from doing so, but there is no time you feel uncomfortable being dressed casual. There is a LOT of walking every day, so definitely wear comfortable shoes.
Good luck in the quest to find a new bag! Thanks again for your help and tips!

Re: backpacks/luggage --

I travel with a single, reasonably large, roll-around piece of luggage for most of my items.

More recently I picked up a cross-body sling bag ($20 on Amazon) which I take with me during most of the travel to hold glasses/sunglasses, meds, phone, and wallet. It lies flat across the chest (which makes for easy access) and keeps things in front of me which makes it a bit more secure against pickpockets you might find in cities.

Lastly, I do often take a backpack. I have used the ABD gift on occasion. I use the backpack on trips with hikes to hold clothing layers to add/take off during the hike, to hold rain gear, and to hold the water bottle. For trips without real outdoors hikes, I bring in largely empty to start but use it to bring home souvenirs picked up during the trip. Also, it comes in handy on trips where you are moving from one hotel to another. On those travel days, the luggage often has to be put outside your hotel room early, so the backpack in this case often holds sleepwear and toiletries until the next stop. As others have mentioned, you can leave it locked up on the bus. Unless it is being used for a hike, the backpack is for convenience and extra storage, but certainly not brought along for all activities on the trip.

Re: backpacks/luggage --

I travel with a single, reasonably large, roll-around piece of luggage for most of my items.

More recently I picked up a cross-body sling bag ($20 on Amazon) which I take with me during most of the travel to hold glasses/sunglasses, meds, phone, and wallet. It lies flat across the chest (which makes for easy access) and keeps things in front of me which makes it a bit more secure against pickpockets you might find in cities.

Lastly, I do often take a backpack. I have used the ABD gift on occasion. I use the backpack on trips with hikes to hold clothing layers to add/take off during the hike, to hold rain gear, and to hold the water bottle. For trips without real outdoors hikes, I bring in largely empty to start but use it to bring home souvenirs picked up during the trip. Also, it comes in handy on trips where you are moving from one hotel to another. On those travel days, the luggage often has to be put outside your hotel room early, so the backpack in this case often holds sleepwear and toiletries until the next stop. As others have mentioned, you can leave it locked up on the bus. Unless it is being used for a hike, the backpack is for convenience and extra storage, but certainly not brought along for all activities on the trip.
Thanks so much - I will look into getting a sling bag!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest