Abandoned Attractions

There used to be a CS restaurant as you walked into Adventureland from the hub called, I believe, Adventureland Veranda. It was on the right as you went over the bridge into Adventureland and I believe the building still remains vacant.
We were in that building in September during MNSSHP. They use the inside for a character meet and greet - I want to say it was called the Adventureland Friends Trail or something to that effect. Tarzan, Jane, and Terk were outside on the "veranda" and inside was rotating characters from Lion King (Rafiki and Timon), Alladin (Jasmine and Genie; Alladin and Abu), and Baloo and King Louie (from our time in there, they did not rotate but all of the others did). For a short time that night too, it housed Tiana and Naveen to keep them out of the rain. By the time we made it to the "trail" they were moving the two back to their normal spot because the rain cleared.

During the rest of our days at MK, Ariel and Prince Eric were outside, intermittantly, on the veranda.

Here's a couple more taken from POP Century in March of 2009.

If you look closely you can see some railings broken.
Those were not the final railings, they are just 2x4s put up to keep workers from getting injured. Their non-uniform appearance is what gave some people the incorrect belief that the buildings were deteriorating when in fact, there really isn't much to those buildings than can deteriorate. The outsides are somewhat protected and the insides are just concrete.

1- Yes. The space is still there (behind the Dole Whips/Aloha Isle.)
It is used during some of the "parties" as a refreshment serving and photo-op spot.

2- On your right, as you enter Tomorrrowland from the Hub is the theater for the former America the Beautiful (CircleVision 360.) In the same place that is now Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor.
On the left as you enter is now Stitch, but was once

Robo, I believe your response got cut off. The spot on the left that I'm thinking of was just before you got to Stitch.

I've heard various rumors bringing the Veranda back, but I don't think any of them were serious.

What would be really cool in one of those spaces (like WOLP) would be a museum of sorts dedicated to past attractions. I would love to see video, photo and props on-site.

Just wishful thinking. I do show dh YouTube videos from things I remember as a little girl.

Fantastic thread!

I don't think these pictures are creepy at all. I think they are facinating and wonderful! But I'm a history buff and I like decay! If anything, the American economy is creepy and these pictures are a symbol of what was once great. I will keep praying for our country and hope we thrive again.

I agree. I like weburbanist.com, it's a great site with all kinds of abandoned buildings, tunnels, amusement parks.

I've got a couple of MK things that have been abandon/missing/perhaps just mis-remembered.

There was something in Tomorrowland in the building on the left as you entered from the hub. It was in the space between the Castle lagoon and Mission to the Moon/Mars/Alien Encounter/Stitch attraction. Can't recall just what it was, perhaps just a movie?

2- On your right, as you enter Tomorrrowland from the Hub is the theater for the former America the Beautiful (CircleVision 360.) In the same place that is now Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor.
On the left as you enter is now Stitch, but was once

Robo, I believe your response got cut off. The spot on the left that I'm thinking of was just before you got to Stitch.

Actually, It could just be the old exit you are thinking of.

Between the old pre-remodeled Tommorrowland Waterfall (that big white/blue structure from the building roof into the "moat") and the entrance to Mission's was the exit from one of the theaters. The other theater exit was on the other side of the ride entrance.

I believe when they did the Big Tomorrowland remodel they rerouted one of the Theaters (Left?) exit's from it's original location to a new one. Then during the Stitch remodel they rerouted the other theater's exit. I almost want to say one exits now into the Merchant of Venus shop while the other was by the bathrooms between the shop and restaurant. (Neither of which are the original exits)

I also remember they used to route some of the extended queue switchbacks down into that area. I THINK that may have been during the alien Encounter days and the reason they did the first Exit reroute.

This is such a cool thread. Thanks to all of those who have contributed! I am shocked that things like the Epcot wand are just left in a field somewhere.

This by no means is an abandoned "attraction". But I believe WDW did away with the Mickey shaped plate that kid's meals were served in? I loved those plates! We would always bring them home, and are down to our last two. My boys love having me use them for lunches, etc.

My dd was so looking forward to getting more of these and they were in fact gone when we were there in December

Those were not the final railings, they are just 2x4s put up to keep workers from getting injured. Their non-uniform appearance is what gave some people the incorrect belief that the buildings were deteriorating when in fact, there really isn't much to those buildings than can deteriorate. The outsides are somewhat protected and the insides are just concrete.

I can see that with the closer shots that I was unable to get. When I took those pictures it just looked like the railings had been broken. I'm glad it was just 2 X 4's. Anyway, it's a mute point now.

Actually, It could just be the old exit you are thinking of.

Between the old pre-remodeled Tommorrowland Waterfall (that big white/blue structure from the building roof into the "moat") and the entrance to Mission's was the exit from one of the theaters. The other theater exit was on the other side of the ride entrance.

I believe when they did the Big Tomorrowland remodel they rerouted one of the Theaters (Left?) exit's from it's original location to a new one. Then during the Stitch remodel they rerouted the other theater's exit. I almost want to say one exits now into the Merchant of Venus shop while the other was by the bathrooms between the shop and restaurant. (Neither of which are the original exits)

I also remember they used to route some of the extended queue switchbacks down into that area. I THINK that may have been during the alien Encounter days and the reason they did the first Exit reroute.

I guess that is what I'm recalling. Perhaps also confusing it with DL.

I may be in the minority here but I think these photos are fascinating! (And a tad bit creepy.)

There use to be a show on t.v. called "The Scariest Places on Earth". Some of these places look like they could qualify. I wonder if they are haunted by the ghosts of Disney Charecters Past?
I'm with you..I'm kind of fascinated by abandoned places. I'm a big horror buff.

Up until a few years ago, the entry to 20,000 Leagues was still just standing there with the cave covered in netting. Very sad since it was my #1 ride as a child.

The Skyway platform in Tomorrowland was still there until recent remodeling. The Fantasyland landing is, of course, used as a stroller lot sadly.

The gondolas silling near the Italian pavilion were originall intended for a ride but the idea was scrapped and those prototypes are all that is left.

I was just there and didnt notice the skyway entrance gone. What about Take Flight. I loved that ride.

The one in my signature. :mad:

Wonders of Life and Odyssey are kept up and are used for special events. They are not rotting.

Is Wonders of Life the name of the pavilion at Epcot? If so, it was my favorite part of Epcot during my trip in 1997. Why did they close it?

Is Wonders of Life the name of the pavilion at Epcot? If so, it was my favorite part of Epcot during my trip in 1997. Why did they close it?

The reasoning i've heard was simply that the Pavilion lost it's sponsor. once Met-Life pulled out, Disney no longer had a sponsor for the pavilion and decided to close it rather than pay to keep it open.

The reasoning i've heard was simply that the Pavilion lost it's sponsor. once Met-Life pulled out, Disney no longer had a sponsor for the pavilion and decided to close it rather than pay to keep it open.

I've heard that explanation/excuse before and it does have some logic behind it. But there have been plenty of other attractions that have lost their sponsors and remained open. Just look next door to the Universe of Energy (formerly Exxon).

I was just there and didnt notice the skyway entrance gone. What about Take Flight. I loved that ride.

The skyway building in tomorrowland was partially demolished and remodeled just just basically hold the bathrooms that were there. The whole upper platform is gone. You can see what it originally looked like here:

What Is That Place? Magic Kingdom

If I remember tonight, I'll add a picture I took of it last month.

I never got to ride Take Flight...

Although Met Life ended sponsorship and is often cited as a reason, that happened several years before Disney mostly shuttered it. No reason has ever specifically has been given, but in general costs to operate vs. benefits is usually involved.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter