A WONDERful three nights on the Wonder…Spring break 2018 trip report.

Looks like everything was off to a great start! I didn't realize DME would take care of your luggage out of the room when you stay at the airport hotel--definitely good to know, and such a nice perk if you're heading right out on a cruise!

I love that feature. We will definitely be doing that again!

Everyone looks very happy on cruise day, even your son gave you a nice big smile! :)

That's saying something! :rotfl:

It was still early and the pool deck wasn't super crowded yet so we easily found a few chairs to sit and relax in for a bit.
These pictures will look a little weird because I screen shotted them from my GoPro video:
1.jpg
2.jpg

The kids wanted to go up and take some pictures from the upper deck…I'm sure DD was in need of something to post on her Instagram :laughing:

Along the way, they were playing music from Moana, and DD couldn't help herself from breaking out in song…
3.jpg

The view of Port Canaveral from the top deck. If you couldn't tell, it was an absolutely perfect day :sunny:
4.jpg

Once the rooms opened up, we went to put our carry-on bags away since we were getting sick of lugging them around. We booked cabin 6608 which was a Verandah, but not the Deluxe Family Verandah like we had last time. I mentioned before that we booked this cruise pretty late in the game and there was very few choices left…this may have been the last Verandah available. It was fine, but I'm glad we weren't in it longer than 3 nights because four people (and all adult sized, at that!) and all of our luggage in there was kind of a tight squeeze. That extra space in the Family Verandah rooms really makes quite a difference.

Again, weird GoPro screen shots:

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Our lovely view...

8.jpg

Ironically, as we were standing out there, we saw DD's luggage being loaded onto the ship! Hers is very easy to spot and we knew it was hers because after we spotted it, we saw ours. It's the one with all the colorful Mickeys...
9.jpg

Mom and I decided to go to the DVC Member reception to see what kind of goodies they were giving out and also to find out if we could score some extra fastpasses for WDW. But before we left, we had to unpack our magnets that we had brought in our carry-ons and decorate our door. We did not participate in any FEs. I know, I know, I am super lame. But honestly, I just can't be bothered buying/making gifts for strangers and honestly, I don't really want a bunch of stuff to bring home. I will consider it again for a longer cruise, but it's just not something I'm dying to do. I do love the little FE holders that people hang, however, so I may eventually get one of those from ETSY and maybe fill it with our own little gifts.
10.jpg
There! NOW it was time to start our cruise!

I am in love with your daughter's luggage!!! Mine is getting pretty badly in need of replacement...I mean it's from 2000, so rightfully so!! I haven't really started looking, but I think I may need to have one like hers!!!

The weather looks perfect. Can't wait for the Sail Away Celebration :)

I am in love with your daughter's luggage!!! Mine is getting pretty badly in need of replacement...I mean it's from 2000, so rightfully so!! I haven't really started looking, but I think I may need to have one like hers!!!

She got that for Christmas a few years ago and it's super cute and holding up well. My luggage is only 6 years old, but when it goes, I am definitely buying me some cute Disney luggage!

All the food at Cabanas looked good. The shortage of ice sounds annoying. I hope the Dream doesn't have that problem when we go in November.

But honestly, I just can't be bothered buying/making gifts for strangers and honestly, I don't really want a bunch of stuff to bring home. I will consider it again for a longer cruise, but it's just not something I'm dying to do.

I'm right there with you on FEs. We're going with another family and my inlaws. I thought about doing some sort of FE with them but I don't even know if I want to do that. I think I'm just over doing ALL of the stuff and want my cruise vacation to be relaxing. I'm sure FEs would be fun but it just sounds like more work to me.

The shortage of ice sounds annoying. I hope the Dream doesn't have that problem when we go in November.

We went on the Dream in 2016 and I don't recall being so annoyed by this, so maybe they didn't have the same problem.

I think I'm just over doing ALL of the stuff and want my cruise vacation to be relaxing. I'm sure FEs would be fun but it just sounds like more work to me.

Totally agree, 100%! I'm too busy to do what I need to do for the people in my life, I just can't devote that much time or energy to strangers, as awful as that sounds :-)

Enjoying your report! I had to laugh since my oldest DS17 gives me the exact same facial expressions as your son!

Thanks! Ugh, must be a teenage boy thing!

I left off with mom and I heading to the DVC member reception, which I believe was in the D-Lounge. As soon as you walk through the door they had a tray of drinks available. Mom and I each took a Rum Runner, but mom didn't really like it and took a few sips. I thought it was pretty good, even though I'm not a huge drinker. It was kind of sweet and not overwhelmingly tasting like alcohol.

1.jpg

The reception was entertaining…it is really a push to get you to buy more points, but they had a little trivia and gifts involved so it was fun. I think the best reason to go, however, is to sign up to meet with a DVC rep and score some extra fast passes. This really worked out for us since we were heading to WDW right after the cruise. I don't remember how long they were good for if you weren't heading to the parks right after. And this time it was great because when I went to meet with the rep he realized fairly quickly that we weren't really interested in buying more points at this time, so he set us up for our fast passes and we were on our way. When I did this on the Dream, the guy was a little more pushy and was doing a lot of math to tell me how much I would save by getting more points on the ship. I'm glad that isn't the case this time. How it works is that they set it up while on the ship and when we got to BLT, I went to the DVC desk and told him that we had just gotten off the Wonder and got three extra fast passes. He pulled it up on his system and added them in, but while he did that, he asked, "do you want three extra for three days?" Of course, I was like, SURE!

Anyway, after the reception, we headed back to drop off some stuff in the room and meet up with the kids to go to the Muster Drill, which for us was on deck 4 outside. It kind of stunk being outside, but I felt especially bad for my mom having to stand all that time. My mom and I have been going to WDW together since 2010 and I am always amazed at her stamina, but I started to notice that on this trip she was much slower and needed more breaks…this was way more noticeable at the parks after, and we really had to slow our roll for her. The nice part was that at the end of the drill, the DCL CM told my mom (and us with her) to start walking out before she let everyone else go. I thought that was super considerate of her to notice and do that for her.

Because she did that, we headed straight up to the Sail Away party and were able to get a table to sit and watch all the festivities. I got myself a Pina-Colava, which is one of my favorite cruise drinks :love: Mom got a soda and the kids, or maybe just Allie, got some ice-cream…one of MANY on the cruise.

2.jpg

3.jpg

We sat and enjoyed the show for a bit and then went to the upper deck because we had actually started sailing away and wanted to wave good-bye to land :wave2:

4.jpg

Once we were well under way, we went back to our room to get ready for dinner. So I've mentioned a few times that we booked this cruise very late and of course, by the time we booked only late dining was available. That just was NOT going to work for us. I am more of an "early to bed, early to rise," kind of gal and so is my mom. There was no way we could sit and eat a 1-2 hour meal that started at 8pm. If we didn't get our request, we were probably looking at eating at either Cabanas (which was only open one night of our cruise), or room service. I had put us on the wait list for Main dining as soon as I booked and I would call every few days or so to see if that request had come through. I had called a few days before the cruise and was told it still hadn't come through. So our last option was to go to one of the MDRs once we boarded to see if we could change, but I wasn't holding out hope for that. It turns out, I didn't have to! Once we checked-in at PC, we were given our stateroom cards and DD noticed that it said "Main Dining!" :cool1: So, I don't know how it really happened, but we were so thankful!

Before dinner, mom and I enjoyed laying in a couple loungers on deck 4…so peaceful :lovestruc

6.jpg

Our first dinner was at:
7.jpg

I was so excited! I am a huge fan of the Princess and The Frog and I just LOVE Tiana :love: This restaurant is amazing! I wish there was something comparable at WDW.

8.jpg

We met our servers who were AWESOME! Levi was our main server and I forget his assistant's name but they were the BEST team we've even had on DCL. We liked our team on the Magic in 2012, but the team we had on the Dream in 2016 were not very good. They would forget things and seemed very rushed. Levi and his assistant knew all of our names starting on the first night. Plus, by the second night they knew our likes and dislikes. And they were good with my teens too, which is a huge bonus. I think a lot of these CMs do REALLY well will small kids but the teens kind of get left out. Not this time. They would do tricks each night at the table and the kids really got into it. I never understood the whole requesting a certain server thing, but if I find myself back on the Wonder, I would definitely request Levi.

Oh, and another bonus…we had requested our own private table and we got it :banana: This was our favorite overall dining experience on any ship ::yes::

Anyway, when the band started playing, Levi came over to give everyone Mardi-Gras beads...

9.jpg

10.jpg

It was such a great atmosphere and put us all in a great mood! Just a perfect start!

More Tiana's continued in next post...

1-jpg.323361
Oh, yummy!! Looks delicious :)

He pulled it up on his system and added them in, but while he did that, he asked, "do you want three extra for three days?" Of course, I was like, SURE!
Um, yes, please!!!!

I got myself a Pina-Colava, which is one of my favorite cruise drinks :love:
I discovered Pina-Colavas on our trip in 2016 for our vow renewal!! They are SO delicious!!! They have them at the pool bars at AoA and Pop. Yummm.
I was so excited! I am a huge fan of the Princess and The Frog and I just LOVE Tiana :love: This restaurant is amazing! I wish there was something comparable at WDW.

Do I detect an almost smile there!? Our family LOVES New Orleans, and it's my Mom's favorite place, so when Princess and the Frog came out it quickly became a family favorite!! I want to get my Mom on a cruise if only so she can eat at Tiana's Place!!

OK I am still catching up on your other TR but at least I am early in the game for the cruise TR!!

I'll have to wait and give a little more of an introduction later…Side note…No sooner had I started writing this this morning when I heard some super freaky, scary fluttering sounds coming from my fireplace chute! After calling DH and then leaving messages for animal control and wildlife control, this is what I ended up with…
fireplace-jpg.321527

OMG what was it, a bird?

We had fun embarrassing them at pick-up :rotfl: Ahhhh…it was just too easy. They literally refused to get in the car until I took down the signs, teens are such a joy :sad2:
11-jpg.322020

OMG this is too funny!! I'll have to give my sisters' ideas when their kids get older hehe.

That convenience alone is worth staying here for. But also, the beds are really comfortable and the room was surprisingly quiet for being right in an airport.

I love the airport hyatt! It's not fancy or that pretty but it just makes me feel like I'm on vacation the minute I step off the plane as I know I'm going on a cruise or to WDW the next day and it's nice to not have to leave the airport and just get a good night's rest.

Funny story, I posted that Dumbo picture to a cruise group I was in and when I got on the bus, I noticed a notification from someone else in that group. She was on our same bus! I turned around to wave and she was looking for me to wave too. Small world!

That's so funny! It's cool to be part of communities for cruises as then you have some people you kinda know on the ship!

So cute!

Gorgeous picture!

I am a big fan of Cabanas. I know some people don't like it because it's crazy and crowded, and it totally is. But I like being able to have so many different choices and not feel like I'm bugging anyone to try a little of this or a little of that.

I like Cabanas too. There's just something for everyone and I like having a bit of this and that.

One of my best tips for people traveling with a group is to find your table BEFORE you all split up and head to the buffet. Otherwise you'll spend a LOT of time after getting your food trying to find each other. We learned this the hard way on our DREAM cruise :sad2:

YES, it would be nearly impossible to get food first and then find everyone! And a table!

Everything looked and tasted excellent. My one gripe, and this happened over and over and over and was seriously annoying…they kept running out of ice. Not only did that happen here, but at the outside drink stations, as well. And nothing annoyed me more than seeing people with these huge jugs filling up at the soda stations and hogging all the ice. Plus, I blame DCL for not having more ice readily available. Ok, end of rant. In the scheme of things, it's not a huge deal, but I really would have liked some ice in my soft drinks.:drinking1

Ugh I can't stand it when there's no ice at a soda fountain!!

Ironically, as we were standing out there, we saw DD's luggage being loaded onto the ship! Hers is very easy to spot and we knew it was hers because after we spotted it, we saw ours. It's the one with all the colorful Mickeys...
9-jpg.322462

That is hilarious that you spotted your daughter's luggage! You have the eagle eye!

We did not participate in any FEs. I know, I know, I am super lame. But honestly, I just can't be bothered buying/making gifts for strangers and honestly, I don't really want a bunch of stuff to bring home. I will consider it again for a longer cruise, but it's just not something I'm dying to do. I do love the little FE holders that people hang, however, so I may eventually get one of those from ETSY and maybe fill it with our own little gifts.

Yes that was the same thought I had. It's just a lot of stuff to carry to and from, and I'd only participate if we didn't have to fly anywhere for the cruise (which eliminates like 97% of the cruises haha). The gifts were cute and I'm glad I did it once but I would not feel bad if I did not participate again. I did like having the Fish Extender out though. Made me feel like a part of something, hehe.

10-jpg.322463

There! NOW it was time to start our cruise!

Love the door magnets!!

I left off with mom and I heading to the DVC member reception, which I believe was in the D-Lounge. As soon as you walk through the door they had a tray of drinks available. Mom and I each took a Rum Runner, but mom didn't really like it and took a few sips. I thought it was pretty good, even though I'm not a huge drinker. It was kind of sweet and not overwhelmingly tasting like alcohol.

1-jpg.323361

So excited to be able to go to our first DVC reception on our next cruise! Not till 2019 though. Boo.

The reception was entertaining…it is really a push to get you to buy more points, but they had a little trivia and gifts involved so it was fun. I think the best reason to go, however, is to sign up to meet with a DVC rep and score some extra fast passes. This really worked out for us since we were heading to WDW right after the cruise. I don't remember how long they were good for if you weren't heading to the parks right after. And this time it was great because when I went to meet with the rep he realized fairly quickly that we weren't really interested in buying more points at this time, so he set us up for our fast passes and we were on our way. When I did this on the Dream, the guy was a little more pushy and was doing a lot of math to tell me how much I would save by getting more points on the ship. I'm glad that isn't the case this time. How it works is that they set it up while on the ship and when we got to BLT, I went to the DVC desk and told him that we had just gotten off the Wonder and got three extra fast passes. He pulled it up on his system and added them in, but while he did that, he asked, "do you want three extra for three days?" Of course, I was like, SURE!

Ah that is cool that you get the extra FP. I wonder how long they last?

Anyway, after the reception, we headed back to drop off some stuff in the room and meet up with the kids to go to the Muster Drill, which for us was on deck 4 outside. It kind of stunk being outside, but I felt especially bad for my mom having to stand all that time. My mom and I have been going to WDW together since 2010 and I am always amazed at her stamina, but I started to notice that on this trip she was much slower and needed more breaks…this was way more noticeable at the parks after, and we really had to slow our roll for her. The nice part was that at the end of the drill, the DCL CM told my mom (and us with her) to start walking out before she let everyone else go. I thought that was super considerate of her to notice and do that for her.

Aw that is nice they did that for her. They always notice the little things.

Because she did that, we headed straight up to the Sail Away party and were able to get a table to sit and watch all the festivities. I got myself a Pina-Colava, which is one of my favorite cruise drinks :love:

YUM!!

Once we were well under way, we went back to our room to get ready for dinner. So I've mentioned a few times that we booked this cruise very late and of course, by the time we booked only late dining was available. That just was NOT going to work for us. I am more of an "early to bed, early to rise," kind of gal and so is my mom. There was no way we could sit and eat a 1-2 hour meal that started at 8pm. If we didn't get our request, we were probably looking at eating at either Cabanas (which was only open one night of our cruise), or room service. I had put us on the wait list for Main dining as soon as I booked and I would call every few days or so to see if that request had come through. I had called a few days before the cruise and was told it still hadn't come through. So our last option was to go to one of the MDRs once we boarded to see if we could change, but I wasn't holding out hope for that. It turns out, I didn't have to! Once we checked-in at PC, we were given our stateroom cards and DD noticed that it said "Main Dining!" :cool1: So, I don't know how it really happened, but we were so thankful!

That is great that you were able to get what you wanted! I feel llike they do a great job in fulfilling your request no matter how last minute.

8-jpg.323368

Soo excited to eat here! Great picture of you guys!

It was such a great atmosphere and put us all in a great mood! Just a perfect start!

Excited to see more!

Do I detect an almost smile there!?

Getting there! :rotfl:

Our family LOVES New Orleans, and it's my Mom's favorite place

I would love to go someday, definitely on my ever-growing list!

Great trip report so far! I'm really enjoying it and I'm' looking forward to the rest! :goodvibes:

:welcome: Thanks for joining!

I love the airport hyatt! It's not fancy or that pretty but it just makes me feel like I'm on vacation the minute I step off the plane as I know I'm going on a cruise or to WDW the next day and it's nice to not have to leave the airport and just get a good night's rest.

Me too! And super comfy beds!

Gorgeous picture!

Thanks! I just got a new iphone8 and it has a Portrait setting. I LOVE it and think it looks amazing, but for some reason, DD HATES it and gets mad when I use it.

Ugh I can't stand it when there's no ice at a soda fountain!!

You didn't have that problem on the Magic?

I did like having the Fish Extender out though. Made me feel like a part of something, hehe.

Yea, I'm definitely ordering one before Mike and I go on the Dream in October.

So excited to be able to go to our first DVC reception on our next cruise! Not till 2019 though. Boo.

Do I know this? When and what ship?

Ah that is cool that you get the extra FP. I wonder how long they last?

I wish I paid more attention to that. I just knew we were going to use them right away, as we did last time.

You didn't have that problem on the Magic?

Not that I noticed last time - but it was also a colder weather cruise so I think more people were wanting the hot chocolate more than soda!

Do I know this? When and what ship?

Sept 9th 2019 Wonder to Alaska.
That is the plan for now! We're going with my MIL and FIL again. Although Steve's brother said they were interested in going but they can only go during the school year. i.e. summer vacation.
I doubt I can persuade them though because the prices for June and July are pretty much double what we paid in Sept!

Dinner at Tiana's…

11.jpg

While we looked at the menu, we placed our drink orders and they were brought out fairly quickly. I love these glasses that they came in.

12.jpg

Not sure why I only have a pic of half the menu :confused3
13.jpg

14.jpg

Since I was being daring and told myself that I was going to try new things onboard, I ordered the Shrimp & Grits appetizer. Sadly, I didn't like this…the grits were very mushy and kinda cheesy. The shrimp wasn't bad, but I like my shrimp with cocktail sauce better. I was happy I tried something new, though. This felt very adventurous for me!

17.jpg

My Iceberg Wedge Salad…I LOVED this. I ended up ordering it for a second time while at Animator's Palate and Levi was kind enough to find it for me even though it wasn't on the menu there.

23.jpg

Nicholas got roasted chicken and stuffing, I believe...

20.jpg

Mom and I both got the Prime Rib and asked for it medium-well, which I realize is way overcooked for some people, but we liked it.

21.jpg

And Allison ordered her steak off the kid's menu,

22.jpg

with a side of fries, of course!
24.jpg

Up next, entertainment and dessert :banana:

Dinner at Tiana's Place continued:

Allison was clearly enjoying herself :goodvibes

aM7edSS.gif

During dinner, an amazing band started playing and then Tiana herself came around to each table. She was so beautiful and just had the whole persona down to a tee.

KBA47oV.gif

tt.jpg

band.jpg

Even our servers got in on the fun!
levi.jpg

There were lot of delicious-sounding choices for dessert, but I already knew which one I was going to try before I even looked at the menu...

m.jpg

25.jpg

Beignets! They don't serve too many of these here in the Northeast and I have been wanting to try them since PATF came out! These were good, but of course, I have nothing to compare them to. They were basically little donuts dipped in chocolate sauce. We got a couple orders of these and split them. Allison didn't like them very much which doesn't surprise me since she's fussier than I am :laughing:
27.jpg

We all loved our dinner this night from start to finish. The food was great, the atmosphere and entertainment were amazing and it was so fun to get to meet Tiana in her restaurant.

After dinner, we walked around a bit to take some pictures. I'm guessing Nicholas ran off to the Vibe since he isn't in any of them...

28.jpg

PORT .jpg

It was such a beautiful evening and the sunset was stunning. A perfect ending to our first day.

DECK.jpg

SlVJtV6.gif

The kids went off to the clubs and mom and I back to the room to get ready for the show. We found this guy waiting for us :P

BUNNY.jpg

I believe the show this first night was The Golden Mickeys. It's cute but I saw it once before on the Dream and I think I'll skip it on our next cruise.

Mom and I poked around a little after the show, but then we decided to call it a night. I went up to make myself a cup of hot tea and brought it back to the room. Mom was pretty much asleep by the time I got there, and I was pretty much asleep by the time the kids got back to the room. It's tough getting old :rotfl:

Up next…a full day at sea and meeting a bunch of princesses...

Day 2, April 6th

A DAY TO "SEA" SOME PRINCESSES

Before going to bed last night, I had filled out the room service card and left it on our door. At 7:30, we heard a knock at our door and Voila'

Breakfast in bed…
1.jpg

Well, at least one of us was still in bed…
2.jpg

We basically just ordered some coffee and fruit, and a bagel with cream cheese for Allie. It was kind of nice waking up to that but the coffee was really dreadfully bad :crazy2: I choked some down, however, because I needed a little caffeine to give me energy to take a nice little run on deck 4. What a lovely way to run. I believe each lap is about 1/3 mile so I ran nine laps and felt really good after.

My view while running…
3.jpg

Afterwards, I went and showered and changed and met mom up at Cabanas for some real breakfast and coffee…
4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

More Cabanas breakfast in next post...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter