• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A Veteran WDW Parkgoer Wants To Do TDL/TDS - Questions

Thanks to all here who helped. I wound up needing about 7000 yen total for train fare over a 4-day period, but it was easy to reload when needed. I felt like I owned the train system, by the last day I was starting to sleep on them like I was a local. I hit Ikspiari daily for no other reason than to pick up tsum-tsums at the Disney Store there--I had plenty of time and store CMs told me that's the only place at TDR they were available.

Happy to help answer questions with my recent experience.

Thanks to all here who helped. I wound up needing about 7000 yen total for train fare over a 4-day period, but it was easy to reload when needed. I felt like I owned the train system, by the last day I was starting to sleep on them like I was a local. I hit Ikspiari daily for no other reason than to pick up tsum-tsums at the Disney Store there--I had plenty of time and store CMs told me that's the only place at TDR they were available.

Happy to help answer questions with my recent experience.

I'm traveling to Japan on business next month and decided a day trip to DisneySea is in order. I'm definitely a WDW veteran as well. I only have 1 day to try and take in as much as possible. Plan on going on a Thursday (October 9th) which according to the crowd level website is right smack in the middle of empty to packed.

Did you follow a specific touring plan for DisneySea? Do you have any tips or things you wish you had done differently? I also will be traveling from central Tokyo in the morning for rope drop, so your experience in getting to TDR from Tokyo station would also be appreciated!

I'm traveling to Japan on business next month and decided a day trip to DisneySea is in order. I'm definitely a WDW veteran as well. I only have 1 day to try and take in as much as possible. Plan on going on a Thursday (October 9th) which according to the crowd level website is right smack in the middle of empty to packed.

1. Did you follow a specific touring plan for DisneySea?

2. Do you have any tips or things you wish you had done differently?

3. I also will be traveling from central Tokyo in the morning for rope drop, so your experience in getting to TDR from Tokyo station would also be appreciated!

1. No, not really. Here's kinda what I did.

- I eliminated from my to-do list anything that was essentially the same as what I've done at other Disney parks. What this mostly translates to is no TSM, and that is HUGE over there. I think just eliminating that made the day easier.

- Conversely, I made a point to do things we don't have in the States. This means Indy (not at WDW anyway), Sindbad, 20K Leagues, and Journey to the Center.

- Of the things on my must-do, I prioritized FPs for them based on when they usually run out--I found a site somewhere that has this info. So I wound up at rope drop getting an FP for Journey, then riding 20K standby immediately afterwards. I walked on to 20K then when it was over 90 minutes later in the day. Indy has single-rider so didn't need FP, and Sindbad doesn't usually see long lines. Really, really loved Indy as it beats the tar out of Dinosaur at AK. SR is available at that and the short coaster ride next door (the name of which eludes me). Just go to the FP entrance and say single rider and they'll usher you in.

- Other things I did more on a whim. I was able to get Tower of Terror FP with no trouble, and since the theming is a bit different I wanted to try it if I could without too much wait. I was glad I did--I thought the different story made it a bit different than what we're used to.

2. I wanted to do a nice sit-down meal, but those reservations go really fast. Right after I did 20K, I tried at a couple if different places and they were already booked--about 45 minutes or so after the park opened. If that's a priority, get those early! I forgot about StormRider, so didn't do that but otherwise most everything I wanted to I did. Didn't do Aquatopia either, I think just watching others on it was enough for me.

3. You will use the Keiyo Line (not on the Metro system, but a JR line) from Tokyo to Maihama. Maihama is about six stations out from Tokyo, and takes maybe 20 minutes or so. Because of my hotel location, I boarded and deboarded the Keiyo line one station from Tokyo at Hatchobori, a much smaller station and easy to navigate. I made a point to avoid rush hour on the trains, and headed out each morning at about 6:00a or 6:15a. Much later and I feared massive crowds. It also helped to put me closer to the front at the Disney gates--though I was surprised how many people were in front of me still when I arrived about 7:00a (after walking from Maihama).

3a. I think the Disney monorail is a smarter choice than walking when going to DisneySea as the walk is about 20 minutes. You pay for the monorail, but it takes the same PASMO/Suica card you can use on all the other major train systems there. I highly recommend getting one of those.

Any other questions, ask away. I really had a good time there, even though I was alone, and wouldn't hesitate to go back if given the chance.

Did you follow a specific touring plan for DisneySea? Do you have any tips or things you wish you had done differently?

Here is the recap for my day at Disney Sea in August of 2012. It was a fairly crowded but manageable day midweek. It was my second visit in three years, so I definitely gained some insight from my previous visit:

I decided to skip Toy Story, as I've done this ride a bunch of times at DL and WDW:

Monday, August 20, 2012
Arrived at 7:20am
Park opens at 8:30am
Journey (we did not run, most people running to Toy Story Mania)
Aquatopia
DS Got FPs for TOT while we waited for Storm Rider (9:30am FP for 2:20pm entry)
Storm Rider
Indiana Jones (Single Rider Line)
Got FPs for 20,000 (11:30am for 1:35pm entry)
Lunch Vulcania
Mermaid Show
Got FP for Magic Lamp (1:30pm for 1:55pm entry)
Sindbad
20,000 Leagues with FP
Magic Lamp Theatre with FP
Won Lottery for BBB (applied at 3pm)
Tower of Terror with FP
Big Band Beat (3:30pm show)
Duffy Show at Cape Cod Cookout
Got FP for Raging Spirit (4:50pm for 9pm entry)
Mystic Rythyms (5:20pm show)
Made Reservation at Magellan (6pm)
Fortress Exploration
Dinner at Magellan (6:30pm)
Fantasmic (8:10pm)
Raging Spirit with FP
Leave Park 9:30pm (Park closes at 10pm)

Notes:
Ask for front row for Journey. Each vehicle has a front and back row.

Everything in the park is worth doing. Only you can decide for yourself, after you've done it, what you enjoyed most.

Magellan is a nice, air-conditioned place to eat after an exhausting day, but it is slow service, and the food is not nearly as good as some of the nicer places at WDW. This is the one thing I wouldn't do.

Do not miss Triton's Kingdom - it is the underground portion of Mermaid Lagoon. Entrance on a path from Mysterious Island to Mermaid Lagoon.

Do not miss Fortress Exploration. It is not just a kid's playground! There is a map of the fortress in English, but you have to ask for it. One of the best souvenirs in the park, it's free, and you will need it.

There is a lottery for Big Band Beat (except for the first showtime of the day). You can enter the lottery in a room nearby. It is marked on the park map. You can only enter once. If you win the lottery, you get in. If not, you can wait on line and hope to get in. I entered the lottery for the last show of the day. Before that, there were long lines jsut to enter the lottery, which seems like a waste of time to me. Before the last show, the line completely disappeared, so there is nothing lost by entering the lottery.

Mystic Rhythms is a great show, and I think you should try to see it. It is relatively easy to get in.

I hope the above is of some help.

You could see any of the Big Beats shows without the lottery system on 9/7 when I was there. I couldn't figure out if no one needed a ticket or if they not did the lottery to sit in a certain area. Slight communications issues sometimes talking to cast members. I did not see it because people line up extremely early for all the shows and I didn't want to stand in the rain (even with an umbrella) forever to watch it. The day I went, I actually left the park at 1600. I had done a ton of things (pretty much every ride except Toy Story) and still had a 2 hr commute back to where I was staying that next week. After walking around in rainy weather since 7:30am, I was over it. I skipped all the shows except the Magic Lamp one (I really wanted to see fantasmic) but now I have an excuse to make it back there one day.

I did not see it because people line up extremely early for all the shows and I didn't want to stand in the rain (even with an umbrella) forever to watch it.

This is exactly why thay have a lottery. If you win, you don't have to wait in line. I recommend trying the lottery for the final performance of the day. I have no idea if mathematicaly your chances are better, but then you will not have to wait on line to attempt the lottery, and I have done this twice and won the lottery both times.

This is exactly why thay have a lottery. If you win, you don't have to wait in line. I recommend trying the lottery for the final performance of the day. I have no idea if mathematicaly your chances are better, but then you will not have to wait on line to attempt the lottery, and I have done this twice and won the lottery both times.

It might have been a language barrier but when I asked where to go to try for lottery to see the show, he said there was no lottery to just wait in line. I saw online before that balcony was open seating all shows so not sure if that was just the line he was working so that's why he said it?

I tried the lottery for both shows at Tokyo Disney the day before I was at DisneySea and didn't get either :( lol.

Yes, I suppose it could be that in a slower season, they don't even have a lottery. In which case maybe everyone gets in? It doesn't really matter where you sit.....

Yes, I suppose it could be that in a slower season, they don't even have a lottery. In which case maybe everyone gets in? It doesn't really matter where you sit.....

No lottery when I was there. I assume it's based on demand/crowd levels. Everyone just filed in a few minutes beforehand like you would for any other show. The theater was far from capacity once the show started.

3. You will use the Keiyo Line (not on the Metro system, but a JR line) from Tokyo to Maihama. Maihama is about six stations out from Tokyo, and takes maybe 20 minutes or so. Because of my hotel location, I boarded and deboarded the Keiyo line one station from Tokyo at Hatchobori, a much smaller station and easy to navigate. I made a point to avoid rush hour on the trains, and headed out each morning at about 6:00a or 6:15a. Much later and I feared massive crowds. It also helped to put me closer to the front at the Disney gates--though I was surprised how many people were in front of me still when I arrived about 7:00a (after walking from Maihama).

3a. I think the Disney monorail is a smarter choice than walking when going to DisneySea as the walk is about 20 minutes. You pay for the monorail, but it takes the same PASMO/Suica card you can use on all the other major train systems there. I highly recommend getting one of those.

Any other questions, ask away. I really had a good time there, even though I was alone, and wouldn't hesitate to go back if given the chance.

Thanks so much for the detailed transport advice. The first 2 days I'm in Tokyo I'm going to be out of pocket for hotel as I'm taking some vacation before the conference starts. If you have any advice on hotels, that would be great too! I've been looking into some of the cheaper "business hotels" but there are quite a large variety of them ranging from hostel-looking to fairly high-end.

Also,some people are reporting back that you can no longer stack FPs at TDS either as they have started to enforce the return times. Did you notice this as well? I was looking forward to deploying my old tactics of collecting for the evening but looks like I might not be able to.

I will be enjoying TDS alone as well, so it's good to hear you still had a wonderful time despite being a loner that day! :goodvibes

Here is the recap for my day at Disney Sea in August of 2012. It was a fairly crowded but manageable day midweek. It was my second visit in three years, so I definitely gained some insight from my previous visit:

I decided to skip Toy Story, as I've done this ride a bunch of times at DL and WDW:

Monday, August 20, 2012...

I really appreciate the detailed itinerary! I've done TSM up-teen million times at MGM so will be skipping out on it as well. I'm returning to WDW next summer for one of my mother's milestone birthdays and based on the chaos that seems to be occuring at TSM at rope drop these days thanks to FP+, looks like I won't be riding it over there either. :laughing:

Yes, they don't allow you to stack fastpasses anymore. They will be strictly enforcing it.

Thanks so much for the detailed transport advice. The first 2 days I'm in Tokyo I'm going to be out of pocket for hotel as I'm taking some vacation before the conference starts. If you have any advice on hotels, that would be great too! I've been looking into some of the cheaper "business hotels" but there are quite a large variety of them ranging from hostel-looking to fairly high-end.

Also,some people are reporting back that you can no longer stack FPs at TDS either as they have started to enforce the return times. Did you notice this as well? I was looking forward to deploying my old tactics of collecting for the evening but looks like I might not be able to.

I will be enjoying TDS alone as well, so it's good to hear you still had a wonderful time despite being a loner that day! :goodvibes

I wanted to stay near the Maihama line to keep the train system simple, but was unable to find anything close enough that was both available and within my budget. I wound up at the Marriott in Ginza and it was only two stops from Maihama (at Hatchobori) on the Metro's Hibiya line. After studying it enough, I was confident I could master the trains by the time I settled on the Marriott. The hotel was nice, close to the Metro station, but the rooms were small--no surprise there.

As for FPs, I had also read they were enforced, so never tested it nor noticed anyone else doing so either.

Yes, they don't allow you to stack fastpasses anymore. They will be strictly enforcing it.

I am not sure exactly what you mean. You can have multiple FPs, but you are supposed to use them before the return time expires. That has not changed, except that in the past, maybe the enforecement of return times was spotty. However, you can still possess one FP for every two hours you are in the park.

I wanted to stay near the Maihama line to keep the train system simple, but was unable to find anything close enough that was both available and within my budget. I wound up at the Marriott in Ginza and it was only two stops from Maihama (at Hatchobori) on the Metro's Hibiya line. After studying it enough, I was confident I could master the trains by the time I settled on the Marriott. The hotel was nice, close to the Metro station, but the rooms were small--no surprise there.

As for FPs, I had also read they were enforced, so never tested it nor noticed anyone else doing so either.

Good to know that you had no issue navigating the metro/train system. I've done my fair share of traveling around western and eastern Europe as well as Singapore, but this will be my first real foray into a country with a character-based language. Thanks to a colleague who is originally from Japan, I was able to find a nice business hotel at a very reasonable price. For some reason, these hotels were charing over 100% more on their English websites (around $160 a night) compared to the Japanese site (less than $70 a night.) I'll be staying at the Comfort Hotel Kanda in Chiyoda near Akihabara. Getting to TDR seems fairly easy, 4 stops on the Hibiya Line from Akihabara to Hatchobori where I can catch the Keiyo line. I will be studying the maps furiously to make the TDR morning as seamless as possible!

Sad to hear about FP, but not surprising at this point. I took a day trip to DL a couple years back and they had yet to start FP enforcement yet. Looks like that might have been my last chance at stacking for the evening!

Thanks for the confirmation!

Good to know that you had no issue navigating the metro/train system. I've done my fair share of traveling around western and eastern Europe as well as Singapore, but this will be my first real foray into a country with a character-based language. Thanks to a colleague who is originally from Japan, I was able to find a nice business hotel at a very reasonable price. For some reason, these hotels were charing over 100% more on their English websites (around $160 a night) compared to the Japanese site (less than $70 a night.) I'll be staying at the Comfort Hotel Kanda in Chiyoda near Akihabara. Getting to TDR seems fairly easy, 4 stops on the Hibiya Line from Akihabara to Hatchobori where I can catch the Keiyo line. I will be studying the maps furiously to make the TDR morning as seamless as possible!

Sad to hear about FP, but not surprising at this point. I took a day trip to DL a couple years back and they had yet to start FP enforcement yet. Looks like that might have been my last chance at stacking for the evening!

Thanks for the confirmation!

Don't even stress about it. English is everywhere and everyone seems to have at least some ability to communicate with you. I said it somewhere else on these boards -- I had an easier time getting around Japan without speaking any of the language than I do getting around Central America knowing a decent amount of Spanish.

Don't even stress about it. English is everywhere and everyone seems to have at least some ability to communicate with you. I said it somewhere else on these boards -- I had an easier time getting around Japan without speaking any of the language than I do getting around Central America knowing a decent amount of Spanish.

Agree. English writing is everywhere, including train stations and all over TDR. As for verbal communication, I made sure I knew the basics (hello in all its various forms, thank you very much, please, where, excuse me, I'm sorry, you're welcome) and I felt like it was just enough to communicate what I needed to.

I am not sure exactly what you mean. You can have multiple FPs, but you are supposed to use them before the return time expires. That has not changed, except that in the past, maybe the enforecement of return times was spotty. However, you can still possess one FP for every two hours you are in the park.

Yes, you are supposed to use them before the return time but before this year I was able to use a fastpass I got in the morning and return later in the evening at TDR. The return time was not enforced so I used to be able to save multiple fastpass for rides at night like Big Thunder which I find better to ride at night than the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter