• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A Veteran WDW Parkgoer Wants To Do TDL/TDS - Questions

mesaboy2

Reading Is Fundamental.
I will be in the Tokyo area on a business trip the first week of August. I'm trying like heck to figure out how I can get in 2 or maybe 3 days at TDL/TDS before leaving town and not costing a fortune in the meantime. The specific dates I'm considering are August 10-12, a Sunday to a Tuesday. My initial research leads me to the following questions. If these are answered elsewhere here please do not hesitate to point me there. All advice welcome.

1. August I believe is pretty much crazy-busy. I see crowd calendars pegging the high end of the meters and know that staying at certain Disney-affiliated hotels guarantees admission, even on the busiest days. If I am NOT staying at one of these hotels, how hard is it to just get in? Is there a pretty consistent time-of-day that the park closes due to capacity on these super-busy days? ETA: I think I've answered this one already now: if I can successfully purchase e-Tickets (7-60 days prior to visiting) I am already guaranteed admission.

2. The TDL/TDS website mentions you can get there from Narita Airport via train or direct bus. If I opt for the bus, how much generally does this cost each direction? How hard is it to get tickets for the bus? Do these buses fill up regularly and strand you until the next one (including the last bus each day)?

3. I'm considering a hotel in the Narita area due to cost, and using their shuttle to the airport and then hopping on the direct bus. Is this a really stupid idea? (Looks like the distance is about 35 miles or so, how painful would a direct taxi be?)

Keep in mind I'm of course hoping to maximize my time in parks, but I would probably be content with 6 hours or so in each park if I can somehow make this work. Hopping on a just a couple of unique headliners in that time would be almost a bonus.

I will be in the Tokyo area on a business trip the first week of August. I'm trying like heck to figure out how I can get in 2 or maybe 3 days at TDL/TDS before leaving town and not costing a fortune in the meantime. The specific dates I'm considering are August 10-12, a Sunday to a Tuesday. My initial research leads me to the following questions. If these are answered elsewhere here please do not hesitate to point me there. All advice welcome.

1. August I believe is pretty much crazy-busy. I see crowd calendars pegging the high end of the meters and know that staying at certain Disney-affiliated hotels guarantees admission, even on the busiest days. If I am NOT staying at one of these hotels, how hard is it to just get in? Is there a pretty consistent time-of-day that the park closes due to capacity on these super-busy days? ETA: I think I've answered this one already now: if I can successfully purchase e-Tickets (7-60 days prior to visiting) I am already guaranteed admission.

2. The TDL/TDS website mentions you can get there from Narita Airport via train or direct bus. If I opt for the bus, how much generally does this cost each direction? How hard is it to get tickets for the bus? Do these buses fill up regularly and strand you until the next one (including the last bus each day)?

3. I'm considering a hotel in the Narita area due to cost, and using their shuttle to the airport and then hopping on the direct bus. Is this a really stupid idea? (Looks like the distance is about 35 miles or so, how painful would a direct taxi be?)

Keep in mind I'm of course hoping to maximize my time in parks, but I would probably be content with 6 hours or so in each park if I can somehow make this work. Hopping on a just a couple of unique headliners in that time would be almost a bonus.

You may have already seen this but it looks like the fare is 2,450Y one way from Nariata.

http://www.tokyodisneyresort.jp/en/access/bus/narita/

Not sure if this helps but we took the bus from Shinjuku (NOT Narita) to TDR and had no problems purchasing tickets the day of travel. Of course it was a Sun and we decided to go late morning. The bus was very efficient and clean and only about a quarter full (all locals headed to TDR for the day). We only took it one way then stayed at DLH. My main concern with your plan is catching the return bus daily. It looks like the last airport bus is at 5:45 for Disney Sea and 6:05 for Disneyland. Taking the train would let you maximize your your time but it looks like you'd have several transfers. I understand your budget concerns but have you researched hotels closer to Disney even just on the same line as Maihama stain would make things way easier.

I hope this trip works out for you! We just visited for the first time earlier in the month. It was incredible!

You may have already seen this but it looks like the fare is 2,450Y one way from Nariata.

http://www.tokyodisneyresort.jp/en/access/bus/narita/

Not sure if this helps but we took the bus from Shinjuku (NOT Narita) to TDR and had no problems purchasing tickets the day of travel. Of course it was a Sun and we decided to go late morning. The bus was very efficient and clean and only about a quarter full (all locals headed to TDR for the day). We only took it one way then stayed at DLH. My main concern with your plan is catching the return bus daily. It looks like the last airport bus is at 5:45 for Disney Sea and 6:05 for Disneyland. Taking the train would let you maximize your your time but it looks like you'd have several transfers. I understand your budget concerns but have you researched hotels closer to Disney even just on the same line as Maihama stain would make things way easier.

I hope this trip works out for you! We just visited for the first time earlier in the month. It was incredible!

Yeah, I saw that page. But I completely missed the fare there staring me in the face, so duh on me!

The train system, especially the maps and various inter-related lines, looks very intimidating! I don't think I'm a dumb dude, but man that's some complicated stuff. The appeal of a hotel near Narita also lies in that I can get back to Narita from my business trip pretty easily, so something in that area would also be easy to get to. It would be nice also being close to the airport when I headed home too.

If you or anyone else knows, what kind of train tickets would make most sense if I just wanted to bop around the Tokyo/Narita area using them for about 4 or 5 days or so?

I'd be willing to spend more if I didn't just return a week ago from my first trip to DLR and Hawaii, so funds are a little tighter than usual right now. I know, the very definition of first-world problems, right? ;)

I'm not used to seeing you on these boards, Mesaboy! You can pick up a Suica/Pasmo card for use on the trains around Tokyo. It works for the Disney monorail as well. Pre-load the card with however much you want and then, if you have leftover money on the card, it will be refunded to you when you turn it in before you leave. I recommend you download the Navitime for Japan Travel app. It allows you to enter any two locations and it maps out your train route for you and tells you how long it will take to reach your destination. You'll need MiFi or some kind of wireless data for the app to work.

I'm not used to seeing you on these boards, Mesaboy! You can pick up a Suica/Pasmo card for use on the trains around Tokyo. It works for the Disney monorail as well. Pre-load the card with however much you want and then, if you have leftover money on the card, it will be refunded to you when you turn it in before you leave. I recommend you download the Navitime for Japan Travel app. It allows you to enter any two locations and it maps out your train route for you and tells you how long it will take to reach your destination. You'll need MiFi or some kind of wireless data for the app to work.

Yeah, I'm kinda getting around these days.

Thanks for the tips on the Pasmo card and Navitime app. I will study them both!

Budget wise I think the JR East pass would fit you best if you wanted to travel from Narita Airport to Tokyo/Maihama (Tokyo Disneyland) and back. As well as going all around Tokyo.

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/eastpass/

About 216 USD for unlimited travel on JR East trains for 5 days, including the Narita Express which you can take to Tokyo Station and from there take the Keiyo line to Tokyo Disneyland. Though you will need to make reservations for the Narita Express at the JR East offices.

You can use this website to calculate train costs to see the value of the JR East pass as well as the time schedule for the trains.

http://www.jorudan.co.jp/english/

Are you sure you want to stay at Narita and travel every day? Just glancing at the map, if you were to take the train, you're looking at least a 3-hour round trip commute each day from the airport to Maihama station. I'd consider staying on-site on your Disney days, or at least in Tokyo. (You could stay close to Tokyo station, then it's only one short train ride to Maihama each day.) If you want a cheap hotel for your Disney days, look for business hotels. They're small, but if you just want a cheap place to crash and shower, it might be best for you. And of course, it is very easy to get back to Narita from Tokyo. Plus if you have some free time, there's plenty to see right there, whereas the only thing in Narita is the airport!

The trains look intimidating, but I promise they're really not that bad! Once you figure out your routes on google maps or hyperdia, you're really good to go. There is plenty of English signage in the train stations; I think you'd manage pretty well. :)

Budget wise I think the JR East pass would fit you best if you wanted to travel from Narita Airport to Tokyo/Maihama (Tokyo Disneyland) and back. As well as going all around Tokyo.

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/eastpass/

About 216 USD for unlimited travel on JR East trains for 5 days, including the Narita Express which you can take to Tokyo Station and from there take the Keiyo line to Tokyo Disneyland. Though you will need to make reservations for the Narita Express at the JR East offices.

You can use this website to calculate train costs to see the value of the JR East pass as well as the time schedule for the trains.

http://www.jorudan.co.jp/english/

Thanks for the links, I'll need to do some math. But I'll be honest, I was hoping to get around where I needed to (if using the trains) for less than $100, that $216 sounds a bit steep! :goodvibes

Are you sure you want to stay at Narita and travel every day? Just glancing at the map, if you were to take the train, you're looking at least a 3-hour round trip commute each day from the airport to Maihama station. I'd consider staying on-site on your Disney days, or at least in Tokyo. (You could stay close to Tokyo station, then it's only one short train ride to Maihama each day.) If you want a cheap hotel for your Disney days, look for business hotels. They're small, but if you just want a cheap place to crash and shower, it might be best for you. And of course, it is very easy to get back to Narita from Tokyo. Plus if you have some free time, there's plenty to see right there, whereas the only thing in Narita is the airport!

The trains look intimidating, but I promise they're really not that bad! Once you figure out your routes on google maps or hyperdia, you're really good to go. There is plenty of English signage in the train stations; I think you'd manage pretty well. :)

Good stuff. Yeah, I'm not sure at all about the Narita hotel option because of that commute. The other convenient option would be something within walking distance of Tokyo Station (or at least any station nearby on the Keiyo line). That would give me easy access to both Maihama and Narita from TS. I think if I can find an okay hotel for $100-$150/night (solo traveler without high expectations either) in that area that will be my first problem solved.

I think the trains are my main problem. They are indeed intimidating!!! There looks to be a bunch of different systems that sort-of interoperate with each other at dozens of stations, and it doesn't help I know no Japanese or KANJI.

Does that Pasmo card mentioned by a PP work on JR trains, which I believe is the only direct route between Maihama and TS on the Keiyo line?

If you don't want anything fancy and a normal business hotel is OK I suggest going on Hotels.com which is where I go to find cheap hotels when I visit Tokyo.

You can even hotel hop for the price you indicated. Looking up hotels for the first week of August I found lots of cheap hotels lower than the price you are willing to pay and in locations I've stayed at and can vouch for.

Sotetsu Fresa Inn Nihombashi-Kayabacho for Tokyo Disneyland and even Tsukiji (assuming you go to Tsukiji just to see it/eat there and not for the tuna auction) for about 80 USD/night. I think it was a 10 minute train ride. Though it's a longer ride to get into the main part of Tokyo.

There is Ueno Terminal Hotel for about 68 USD/night which is really close to the subway and JR Ueno station though it's a little tricky to find the hotel though the big benefit is it is near a main transit station to get to and from Narita Airport.

If you're not planning to stay at Narita Airport anymore then the KEISEI skyliner is a good deal for a round trip from Narita Airport to a few Tokyo train stations and back as well as the option to get a two day unlimited metro ticket which is great if you plan to travel around a whole lot to maximize the cost which isn't hard to do. Though if you prefer to just buy a ticket for JR/metro it shouldn't cost much either if you plan on sightseeing for long periods of time in one location.

http://www.keisei.co.jp/keisei/tetudou/skyliner/us/value_ticket/pass.html

Also in regards to being able to speak the language, it isn't a big issue when traveling on the train/metro. The ticket machines for JR and the metro have an English option and the station staff can direct you where to go if you can just say your destination station. There are multiple signs in English at the stations to direct you where to go. You can ask station staff at the train platform if you are on the right side of the platform as trains go in both directions but there is usually a sign somewhere which tells you.

PASMO can be used on the JR lines, Keiyo is a JR line. I personally use Suica when I go but basically it's the same.

Thanks for the links, I'll need to do some math. But I'll be honest, I was hoping to get around where I needed to (if using the trains) for less than $100, that $216 sounds a bit steep! :goodvibes

Good stuff. Yeah, I'm not sure at all about the Narita hotel option because of that commute. The other convenient option would be something within walking distance of Tokyo Station (or at least any station nearby on the Keiyo line). That would give me easy access to both Maihama and Narita from TS. I think if I can find an okay hotel for $100-$150/night (solo traveler without high expectations either) in that area that will be my first problem solved.

I think the trains are my main problem. They are indeed intimidating!!! There looks to be a bunch of different systems that sort-of interoperate with each other at dozens of stations, and it doesn't help I know no Japanese or KANJI.

Does that Pasmo card mentioned by a PP work on JR trains, which I believe is the only direct route between Maihama and TS on the Keiyo line?

A quick search on Agoda for your dates brought up 18 hotels within 4 miles of TDR, prices starting at $50 USD/night and up from there. I would definitely look for something closer than Narita. I think it would make your Disney days much more enjoyable . Also, you may consider staying at a hotel that offers a shuttle to the parks. That would simplify your commute even further. Don't let the trains intimidate you. There's plenty of English signage. Furthermore, all the station employees spoke enough English to tell us which train/platform we needed to be on when we asked for directions. JR trains aren't dedicated trains that only take JR Passes. It just means that your fare on that train is covered by your JR Pass should you have one. (I hope that makes sense.) Otherwise, you would just have your fare deducted from your Pasmo or Suica card, which are interchangeable, more or less. You also have the option of paying the exact fare out of pocket each way, the same as you would for any metro in the US. The Suica/Pasmo is just a preloaded card that saves you time from having to stop and buy a ticket every time you want to ride the train.

If you don't want anything fancy and a normal business hotel is OK I suggest going on Hotels.com which is where I go to find cheap hotels when I visit Tokyo.

You can even hotel hop for the price you indicated. Looking up hotels for the first week of August I found lots of cheap hotels lower than the price you are willing to pay and in locations I've stayed at and can vouch for.

Sotetsu Fresa Inn Nihombashi-Kayabacho for Tokyo Disneyland and even Tsukiji (assuming you go to Tsukiji just to see it/eat there and not for the tuna auction) for about 80 USD/night. I think it was a 10 minute train ride. Though it's a longer ride to get into the main part of Tokyo.

There is Ueno Terminal Hotel for about 68 USD/night which is really close to the subway and JR Ueno station though it's a little tricky to find the hotel though the big benefit is it is near a main transit station to get to and from Narita Airport.

If you're not planning to stay at Narita Airport anymore then the KEISEI skyliner is a good deal for a round trip from Narita Airport to a few Tokyo train stations and back as well as the option to get a two day unlimited metro ticket which is great if you plan to travel around a whole lot to maximize the cost which isn't hard to do. Though if you prefer to just buy a ticket for JR/metro it shouldn't cost much either if you plan on sightseeing for long periods of time in one location.

http://www.keisei.co.jp/keisei/tetudou/skyliner/us/value_ticket/pass.html

Also in regards to being able to speak the language, it isn't a big issue when traveling on the train/metro. The ticket machines for JR and the metro have an English option and the station staff can direct you where to go if you can just say your destination station. There are multiple signs in English at the stations to direct you where to go. You can ask station staff at the train platform if you are on the right side of the platform as trains go in both directions but there is usually a sign somewhere which tells you.

PASMO can be used on the JR lines, Keiyo is a JR line. I personally use Suica when I go but basically it's the same.

A quick search on Agoda for your dates brought up 18 hotels within 4 miles of TDR, prices starting at $50 USD/night and up from there. I would definitely look for something closer than Narita. I think it would make your Disney days much more enjoyable . Also, you may consider staying at a hotel that offers a shuttle to the parks. That would simplify your commute even further. Don't let the trains intimidate you. There's plenty of English signage. Furthermore, all the station employees spoke enough English to tell us which train/platform we needed to be on when we asked for directions. JR trains aren't dedicated trains that only take JR Passes. It just means that your fare on that train is covered by your JR Pass should you have one. (I hope that makes sense.) Otherwise, you would just have your fare deducted from your Pasmo or Suica card, which are interchangeable, more or less. You also have the option of paying the exact fare out of pocket each way, the same as you would for any metro in the US. The Suica/Pasmo is just a preloaded card that saves you time from having to stop and buy a ticket every time you want to ride the train.

Okay, I'm being sucked in. :)

I found a hotel within reasonable walking distance from Tokyo Station (obviously ideally located for accessing Maihama and Narita if not anywhere else I'd possibly want to go). I've already booked it for August 9-13 but can cancel if business arrangements change. It's small but less than $150/night including tax, and location (and price) here is almost everything to me.

I have transport from Narita when I arrive to handle the beginning of my trip. Looks like I'd be on my own once work is done, and I'll be traveling into the Tokyo area using the Odakyu system and the Odawara line to Shinjuku. Since everything else can be done with JR East, I think I can get one of these Suica/PASMO cards and use it for all my trains (both JR East as noted and Odakyu look to accept them). Getting easier!

Here's a train question I haven't seen answered yet: if I have one full-size roll-around piece of luggage (larger than airplane carry-on size), how do I manage that exactly? Are there places to stow luggage on a train, do I just keep it with me, or can I not have it? I'd need to lug it with me on the Odakyu train and on to Tokyo Station, and again on the Narita Express--though I imagine the N'Ex handles luggage fine.

Oh, and what exactly is the difference between Suica and PASMO? Any advantage or disadvantage to either or for my purposes should I just consider them the same?

Lastly, reassure me that central Tokyo (around Tokyo Station) is very safe along with the trains and subways please.

Thanks for all your help!!!! :goodvibes

I found a hotel within reasonable walking distance from Tokyo Station (obviously ideally located for accessing Maihama and Narita if not anywhere else I'd possibly want to go). I've already booked it for August 9-13 but can cancel if business arrangements change. It's small but less than $150/night including tax, and location (and price) here is almost everything to me.

I have transport from Narita when I arrive to handle the beginning of my trip. Looks like I'd be on my own once work is done, and I'll be traveling into the Tokyo area using the Odakyu system and the Odawara line to Shinjuku. Since everything else can be done with JR East, I think I can get one of these Suica/PASMO cards and use it for all my trains (both JR East as noted and Odakyu look to accept them). Getting easier!

Here's a train question I haven't seen answered yet: if I have one full-size roll-around piece of luggage (larger than airplane carry-on size), how do I manage that exactly? Are there places to stow luggage on a train, do I just keep it with me, or can I not have it? I'd need to lug it with me on the Odakyu train and on to Tokyo Station, and again on the Narita Express--though I imagine the N'Ex handles luggage fine.

Oh, and what exactly is the difference between Suica and PASMO? Any advantage or disadvantage to either or for my purposes should I just consider them the same?

Lastly, reassure me that central Tokyo (around Tokyo Station) is very safe along with the trains and subways please.

Good choice. It will be much more convenient to stay closer to the city center plus you'll get a better feel for Tokyo.

We were in Japan for 14 days and never bought a rail pass, I don't think it would be worth your money if your basically only going to TDR and back for 3 days. We actually just paid for our tickets point to point on either JR or the metro and we never had problems. The machines are easy to use and if you have issues people are willing to help if you look helpless enough. Most big train station have staff around the ticket machines to help out.

Regarding hauling your luggage, unless it's rush hour you should be fine. The JR trains are just like subway trains so you will just ride with holding your bag in front of you. There is also overhead storage but I'm not sure if this is on all trains. Tokyo station can be pretty insane around rush hour but hey I made it through with two adults, two kids (one in a stroller), 4 roller bags and misc other bags ;)

Regarding safety I never once felt unsafe. Now I'm sure there are sketchy neighborhoods but overall Tokyo is incredibly safe... crazy, fast passed and intimidating but safe.

Good choice. It will be much more convenient to stay closer to the city center plus you'll get a better feel for Tokyo.

We were in Japan for 14 days and never bought a rail pass, I don't think it would be worth your money if your basically only going to TDR and back for 3 days. We actually just paid for our tickets point to point on either JR or the metro and we never had problems. The machines are easy to use and if you have issues people are willing to help if you look helpless enough. Most big train station have staff around the ticket machines to help out.

Regarding hauling your luggage, unless it's rush hour you should be fine. The JR trains are just like subway trains so you will just ride with holding your bag in front of you. There is also overhead storage but I'm not sure if this is on all trains. Tokyo station can be pretty insane around rush hour but hey I made it through with two adults, two kids (one in a stroller), 4 roller bags and misc other bags ;)

Regarding safety I never once felt unsafe. Now I'm sure there are sketchy neighborhoods but overall Tokyo is incredibly safe... crazy, fast passed and intimidating but safe.

Preloading a Suica or PASMO sure looks like the easiest and most obvious way to simplify train tickets. I'll ask a local contact of mine what they know about it and probably be fine with this unless somebody sees a flaw in my plan.

My big luggage moving day (the one NOT leaving to Narita) will be a Saturday, so I'm thinking rush hour won't be a problem.

Thanks all, and please speak up if I'm missing something!

I want to watch the TDL/TDS ticket site like a hawk as I'm very concerned my days will all be sellouts. Unfortunately, my business schedule is not fixed and buying tickets for particular days is a risky and no-money-back proposition. I'd rather not lose $140 or so should my trip dates change.

If you are taking the NEX into tokyo look at the NEX + Suica option. You get the Suica preloaded with 1500 Y and it works out cheaper than paying for the two separately. This is what we did last time. We kept the Suica cards as souvenirs and when we head to japan in august we will take them back with us

If you are taking the NEX into tokyo look at the NEX + Suica option. You get the Suica preloaded with 1500 Y and it works out cheaper than paying for the two separately. This is what we did last time. We kept the Suica cards as souvenirs and when we head to japan in august we will take them back with us

Thanks for the suggestion, but I already have free arrangements to depart Narita to my business's location outside of Tokyo. :goodvibes I only need to take the N'Ex back to Narita.

Consider the Suica and Pasmo to be one and the same. I used Suica when I was there, simply because that was the machine I came across first. Japan is very safe -- nothing to worry about there. I read somewhere that their biggest crime issues are stolen umbrellas and bicycles. I don't know if that's true but it wouldn't surprise me.

Here's what you need to know:

7-11 (called 7 & iHoldings, among other things) is your friend. They have international ATMs that will accept your US card. We found this to be the most convenient way to get cash. Speaking of, Japan is still a very cash-based society. Make sure you always have some in your pocket as it isn't unusual to run into situations where card isn't accepted. There is, to my knowledge, precisely one ATM on Disney property that takes US cards and it's located in Ikspiari. We killed 45 minutes searching for it. It's probably best to withdraw all the cash you'll need before you go to Disney.

Just about everyone speaks English to some extent. In 18 days there were only two situations where we ran into a language barrier. One was with a Cast Member at Disney who had to go get someone else to help us, the other was with a train station employee. I just turned to a group of school kids and asked if any of them could help me translate. Both situations were resolved in under two minutes. I've had more difficulty getting around Central America with the ability to speak some Spanish than I did getting around Japan knowing literally two words (sumimasen and arigato).

Japan may be crowded but it's not going to feel any worse than New York or London or any other large city. It's not Main Street after Wishes by any means. :lmao:

It's not going to be as overwhelming, exotic, foreign-feeling, or "futuristic" as you might be expecting. Sure, you'll occasionally find yourself thinking "That's a fancy vending machine!" More often though, you'll be thinking "Why does everything close so early, do the trains really stop running at midnight, why can I never find a trash can, do people really still use pay phones?"

Consider the Suica and Pasmo to be one and the same. I used Suica when I was there, simply because that was the machine I came across first. Japan is very safe -- nothing to worry about there. I read somewhere that their biggest crime issues are stolen umbrellas and bicycles. I don't know if that's true but it wouldn't surprise me.

Here's what you need to know:

7-11 (called 7 & iHoldings, among other things) is your friend. They have international ATMs that will accept your US card. We found this to be the most convenient way to get cash. Speaking of, Japan is still a very cash-based society. Make sure you always have some in your pocket as it isn't unusual to run into situations where card isn't accepted. There is, to my knowledge, precisely one ATM on Disney property that takes US cards and it's located in Ikspiari. We killed 45 minutes searching for it. It's probably best to withdraw all the cash you'll need before you go to Disney.

Just about everyone speaks English to some extent. In 18 days there were only two situations where we ran into a language barrier. One was with a Cast Member at Disney who had to go get someone else to help us, the other was with a train station employee. I just turned to a group of school kids and asked if any of them could help me translate. Both situations were resolved in under two minutes. I've had more difficulty getting around Central America with the ability to speak some Spanish than I did getting around Japan knowing literally two words (sumimasen and arigato).

Japan may be crowded but it's not going to feel any worse than New York or London or any other large city. It's not Main Street after Wishes by any means. :lmao:

It's not going to be as overwhelming, exotic, foreign-feeling, or "futuristic" as you might be expecting. Sure, you'll occasionally find yourself thinking "That's a fancy vending machine!" More often though, you'll be thinking "Why does everything close so early, do the trains really stop running at midnight, why can I never find a trash can, do people really still use pay phones?"

Thanks! I'm going to assume the cash that comes out of these 7-11 ATMs are in the form of yen, yes?

You guys have certainly helped reassure me that the train system and the language barrier is not as bad as I initially feared. Well, the train system is still pretty daunting but nothing a few hours of study can't conquer.

I think my only barrier now is making sure my dates don't move and that TPTB at work sign off on me coming back a few days late.

Yes, they give you Yen. The currency conversion is another thing that's ridiculously easy as well. Move the decimal over two places and that's your dollar amount.

I wouldn't stress too much about learning the train system before you go. It's the kind of thing that will make more sense once you're in it and you've done it a couple of times. Use the Navitime app and don't hesitate to ask someone to point you in the right direction. Half the time we asked for help it was out of sheer laziness, not because we were truly struggling to find our way. If you're not sure where you should be going when you get off a train, step to the side or next to a column, let the crowd pass, and then figure it out. This became standard routine for us, particularly when hauling our luggage. Navigating the stations is a lot less stressful when you don't feel like you're getting in other peoples' way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter