A Thanksgiving Odyssey: Bands, Buses, and Big Bad Balloons (Completed!!!)

I’m going to finish this up even if no one reads along.

WE ARE HERE!!!
image.php

Wow... I got way behind. I was going to go back and multi quote responses, but I read so much stuff this morning, I've already forgot what I wanted to say. :rotfl2::lmao:

The Thanksgiving dinner cruise looks like a lot of fun. From the food aspect, I think I'd prefer the family meal where there is enough turkey to stuff yourself silly until you pass out for a couple of hours, but you definitely can't beat the view on that cruise.

The feature on the lions is actually very interesting. I never thought I'd learn so many new things this morning at work. :rotfl2:

The visit to Ellis Island looks very fascinating as well. That is one place I definitely want to have a chance to visit at some point in time, but that update is making me feel sorry for Max. He's just trying to enjoy some time with friends and his dad is acting like the friggin paparazzi. :rotfl2::lmao:

Ok, I'm all caught up.

First: the night cruise around Manhattan looks really fun. I imagine the views must have been spectacular, seeing the city lit up at night. But I have to admit that if that tiny plate had been all that amounted to my Thanksgiving "feast", I'd be a little upset. :rotfl2:

It ain't a Thanksgiving meal unless you've had second and third helpings and then have to unbutton the top pants button while you fall asleep on the couch in front of a football game. :thumbsup2

Looking at the evolution of the NY Public Library was interesting from the eye of an engineer. As I read about the changes to the topography I kept thinking, "Do you have any idea how many permits and bureaucratic red tape we'd have to wade through to be able to fill in those creeks and wetlands today?" :rotfl:

The Roman-style aqueduct was pretty cool, too. And the Library itself looks like a spectacular building on the inside.

I would have assumed "Patience" and "Fortitude" were qualities that visitors to NYC would need. :lmao:

Finally, the trip to Ellis Island was a nice blast from the past. Although it looks like you had a much better view of the skyline than we did when we took my daughter up there for her birthday! Definitely a worthy trip for any American.

I appreciate that Mark, but don’t worry about it overly. :)
I’m going to finish this up even if no one reads along.

I have, however, decided to cut it down in scale a bit (since not many are reading along). There are about three “Bonus Features” that wont be seeing the light of day. I’ve also decided to discontinue the “Flash Back” segments as well. It was a good idea at first, but I’m behind on them, and honestly, I don’t really think y’all want to listen to me drone on about band stuff much more.

I’ll probably have this wrapped up in about three or four updates at the most and then we’ll call it quits until I get back to Disney (although that may be a long time from now).

I would have liked to write about our excursion to Dayton back in April or about this past summer’s trip to the Williamsburg and Norfolk area, but again, I don’t think there will be much audience for those non-Disney adventures.

Your TR, so it's your rules. Who cares about the audience? If these reports help you re-live the adventures, go for it. I can't speak for anyone else, but I really enjoy your writing, your sly movie references, and your dry sense of humor (I may glaze over a bit with marching bands--sorry.) :rotfl2:

I really enjoy the historical tangents, too. The volume of research you do is impressive, and no one can ever say they're less well off for having learned something new.

WE ARE HERE!!!
image.php

Thanks!
I appreciate that. :goodvibes

I’m almost down to the last entry or two so I’ll try to get them put up in the near.

Wow... I got way behind. I was going to go back and multi quote responses, but I read so much stuff this morning, I've already forgot what I wanted to say. :rotfl2::lmao:

I dodged a bullet there, didn’t I?

The Thanksgiving dinner cruise looks like a lot of fun. From the food aspect, I think I'd prefer the family meal where there is enough turkey to stuff yourself silly until you pass out for a couple of hours, but you definitely can't beat the view on that cruise.

More would have been better, that’s for certain, but between the lingering exhaustion form the day and the time spent on the water, I just didn’t realize that I wanted more. The pie and coffee severed latter in the evening was right tasty though (but then I’m rather partial to pie).

The feature on the lions is actually very interesting. I never thought I'd learn so many new things this morning at work. :rotfl2:

That one got away from me. I intended to just learn about the statues, and the thing just took on a life of its own.

The visit to Ellis Island looks very fascinating as well. That is one place I definitely want to have a chance to visit at some point in time,

Ellis was really interesting and we didn’t have near enough time to really dig into what was available. I’d like to get back up there and spend the better part of a day looking over all of the exhibits and archives.

…but that update is making me feel sorry for Max. He's just trying to enjoy some time with friends and his dad is acting like the friggin paparazzi. :rotfl2::lmao:

He hates being in pictures. That means it’s my job to break him of it.
Besides, I take them for his momma. He’ll grow up and leave the house…
For me, that’s the goal of raising a man.
For his mother, that’s a tragedy of loosing her baby.
The least I can do for her is steal a few pictures.

Max does deserve your sorrow though…
Just imagine having to admit that I’m his dad.

Ok, I'm all caught up.
First: the night cruise around Manhattan looks really fun. I imagine the views must have been spectacular, seeing the city lit up at night. But I have to admit that if that tiny plate had been all that amounted to my Thanksgiving "feast", I'd be a little upset. :rotfl2:

It ain't a Thanksgiving meal unless you've had second and third helpings and then have to unbutton the top pants button while you fall asleep on the couch in front of a football game. :thumbsup2

Agreed.
I’ll make up for it this Thanksgiving though.
I can guarantee that.

But… I was on the water.
That just about made up for it.

Looking at the evolution of the NY Public Library was interesting from the eye of an engineer. As I read about the changes to the topography I kept thinking, "Do you have any idea how many permits and bureaucratic red tape we'd have to wade through to be able to fill in those creeks and wetlands today?" :rotfl:

The Roman-style aqueduct was pretty cool, too. And the Library itself looks like a spectacular building on the inside.

I would have assumed "Patience" and "Fortitude" were qualities that visitors to NYC would need. :lmao:

I can see where that would have peeked your interest. I knew that the island had been deforested. That was obvious. I also knew that the changes in the depth of the bedrock determine how everything would be built up once skyscrapers were the order of the day (that why there are tall building at the south end and north end, but not so much in the middle). What I didn’t know was just how many hills and valleys just simple disappeared.

Finally, the trip to Ellis Island was a nice blast from the past. Although it looks like you had a much better view of the skyline than we did when we took my daughter up there for her birthday! Definitely a worthy trip for any American.

I enjoyed reading your write up of that trip, but y’all got to see it all a bit better then we did (as you’ll see in the next chapter). Yet, I’m very glad to have had the opportunity at all. I’d truly recommend that every American find a way to see this part f the country for them selves; even if just for a little while.

Your TR, so it's your rules. Who cares about the audience? If these reports help you re-live the adventures, go for it. I can't speak for anyone else, but I really enjoy your writing, your sly movie references, and your dry sense of humor (I may glaze over a bit with marching bands--sorry.) :rotfl2:

I really enjoy the historical tangents, too. The volume of research you do is impressive, and no one can ever say they're less well off for having learned something new.

Thanks

I do enjoy putting these together… it just takes me a while to get them finished up. I tend to put more detail into them then is really necessary. That’s a character flaw I’ll admit to (it actually amazes my wife as to just how much of what we’ve done I can remember in such detail). The current goal it to have this one finished before the next Parade kicks off. A year is long enough for any thread to linger (a detail that Andy appropriately thumped me for a little while back :lmao: ).

Rob - as you can tell from the "frequent" updates to my own TR, I've been a tad busy lately. But I sat down yesterday and got all caught up on this one. Fantastic work - the Thanksgiving cruise looked really cool and the history of the library is fascinating. I'd hate to think how many people walked around that giant reservoir at night and decided to take a wiz in it. :scared1:
Keep writing, sir. I may not be the timeliest with my reading or responses but be assured that it is all fascinating stuff. :thumbsup2

Rob - as you can tell from the "frequent" updates to my own TR, I've been a tad busy lately. But I sat down yesterday and got all caught up on this one. Fantastic work - the Thanksgiving cruise looked really cool and the history of the library is fascinating. I'd hate to think how many people walked around that giant reservoir at night and decided to take a wiz in it. :scared1:
Keep writing, sir. I may not be the timeliest with my reading or responses but be assured that it is all fascinating stuff. :thumbsup2

And a gracious thanks sir.
And I need to get back over to you current effort and catch up as well.

I certainly intend to keep up with the writing, but it would be nice to have something to write about (tat other folks would want to read that is). Like I’ve said, I’m close to having this one done but work has started really interfering with my extra time. That combined with the start of our boys senior year as high school means that we’ve been rather busy lately. My goal is to have this finally completed before the next actual Macy’s Parade (it seems only fair). Given that goal, I suppose I ought to go on ahead and put up the next little part of this history/travel log.

So I think that’s just what I’ll do. :thumbsup2

Chapter 5: Remembrances (Day 5)

Part 3: The New Colossus

T3D5-301.jpg

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

In 1883, and after a good bit of coaxing, Emma Lazarus wrote a sonnet titled: "The New Colossus". Her intention in doing so was to offer it as one of many items that would be auctioned off. The proceeds of that auction were to go toward building a pedestal.

Now without any other context available, that little bit of information there brings a few questions to my mind.

Firstly, being as “pedestals” are usually pretty mundane affairs, why would fundraisers be required to have one built? Next, if there’s a “New Colossus”, what became of the “Old” one? And more importantly, just why am I bothering you with this foolishness in the first place?

Well, just to be different, I’ll answer those in reverse order; starting where I left off a little bit ago…

on Ellis Island.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Liberty Enlightening the World

I for one would like to have stayed on Ellis Island for a lot longer than an hour and a half. There is far too much to take in during that short a time frame. However, we intended to make a number of other stops on our last day in New York, so it was time to round up all the kids and get a move on.

T3D5-302.jpg

It takes a lot of work to keep nearly two hundred youngsters all together and the chaperone corps deserved special thanks for pulling that job off in good fashion. Between the busses, ferries and extensive walking needed during this trip; we never once lost a sole (we thought we did at one point, but it turned out that someone was just not paying attention).

So we were on the move again. Our next mode of transport for the day would be the ferry “Miss New Jersey” which was just gliding into the landing channel at Ellis.

T3D5-303.jpg

Once aboard we were off for the next rather familiar destination. A little spot on the map called Liberty Island.

T3D5-304.jpg

Notice the rather long “pole” just to the left of the lady holding up the torch? That was actually a harbinger of an unfortunate development. Well, unfortunate for us at least, but not so for the lady with the lamp. But I’ll get to that in a minute.

When we arrived a few minutes later, the lady who resides on the island had her back to us.

T3D5-305.jpg

That is normal but it would turn out that our host would be giving us a bit of a cold shoulder this entire visit. Granted she was rather busy attempting to enlighten the rest of the world, but you see… the folks that look after Lady Liberty were also in the midst of celebrating her 125th birthday.

T3D5-306.jpg

And the gift they decided to get her this year was a makeover…

T3D5-307.jpg

T3D5-308.jpg

A very thoughtful gift for the recipient, but a problem for those of us invited to the party. With the renovation still in progress, much of this monument’s amenities were closed. We couldn’t get into the Immigrant Museum and certainly not into the base or climb the statue itself. A disappointment? Yes, but still… it’s not every day I get to be this close to a national treasure, so we made the best of what opportunities we did have.

T3D5-309.jpg

I was also able to continue my evil paparazzi mission when we ran across Max and his compadres. You can see pretty clearly in their expressions just what each one thought about my intruding on their adventure…

T3D5-310.jpg

On a more “structural” note, you’ll also notice from the last image that nearly half the height of the statue is made up of a great deal of stone work. Some of that structure is younger then the Lady and some of it is older. A whole lot older as a matter of fact. So how did that come to be true?

“Well… I’ll tell you.”

King: “No! Wait! Stop that!”

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Fort Wood

T3D5-311.jpg

When European colonists arrived in the New World and imposed the higher concept of land ownership upon the silly fools that had been sharing it up until that point, they also took to assigning new names to the various bits of acreage encountered. In some instances the moniker adopted would be an anglicized version of what the locals were already using. Like: “Manhattan” for instance. But rather more often the name assigned to a place was that of the person that ended up owning said property. This is how the largest of the “oyster islands” in New Amsterdam’s harbor (the one the locals called: “Minnissais”, meaning Lesser Island) came to be known as Bedloe's Island (although even that was anglicized as the Dutch owner’s name was actually spelled: Bedloo).

After gaining a shaky independence, the new US Government decided that its major cities needed fortification to defend them from sea born attack. To that end a number of islands around New York were acquired and put to the purpose. In 1809, construction of an eleven-point star shaped granite fort was begun on Bedloe's Island, and a bit after its completion, this installation would come to be known as Fort Wood.

T3D5-312.jpg

It’s that ominous mass at the far middle-left of the above illustration which otherwise depicts the view of the bay as seen from Long Island. It had been used on and off as a fort from around 1811 through the Civil War, but was basically abandoned by the time it caught the eye of a fellow named Bartholdi.

Frédéric Bartholdi was working on a piece of sculpture. His inspiration was to recreate one of the seven wonders of the old world, namely, The Colossus of Rhodes. Scholars and scientists alike agree that at one time, there was a massive statue guarding the entrance to the harbor on the Greek island of Rhodes. At least there was until an earthquake knocked it down. There is argument though as to whether it stood to one side or “straddled” the entrance, but they generally agree that it held some type of torch aloft and soared to better then one hundred feet above its already oversized base. In any case it would certainly make an impression on those that sailed into the harbor.

T3D5-313.jpg

With this as both an inspiration and a goal to exceed, Bartholdi began work and perfected the basic design with a “life-sized” bronze study casting. If you were to find yourself strolling through the Jardin du Luxembourg in Paris, you can still see that original work…

T3D5-314.jpg

This bronze was used as a guide for a somewhat larger variation on the theme…

T3D5-315.jpg

His intention was to give the finished piece to the people of the United States. All they had to do in return was agree to build a proper place to display it. Since all ships had to sail past Bedloe's Island to reach New York, it looked like exactly the right spot to erect his gift. Interestingly, the federal and state governments would have nothing to do with it (being as we were in the midst of a depression at the time). The War Department did however stipulate that the pedestal could be built on the grounds of Fort Wood though.

This explains why Ms. Lazarus was donating a poem to an auction in the first place; to help raise funds for the project. The formed copper parts that make up Liberty were actually finished, shipped to the US in 241 separate crates, and put into storage long before the base could be completed. When sufficient funds were finally raised (entirely from private sources so know that your tax dollars were not wasted on public art here), then and only then was construction begun on the massive base that famed architect Richard Morris Hunt had designed for the occasion.

T3D5-316.jpg

Rather than tearing down the existing fort, the base was built in the center parade ground. After that, the whole thing was simply filled in and became part and parcel of the monument.

T3D5-317.jpg

And what a fine monument it is too, but I’ve been spending a lot of time talking so why don’t I just hush up for a bit and let the images speak for a while…

T3D5-318.jpg

T3D5-319.jpg

T3D5-320.jpg

T3D5-321.jpg

T3D5-322.jpg

Next up: A bit more Liberty…

Followed by a ferry and a castle

Well, just to be different, I’ll answer those in reverse order; starting where I left off a little bit ago…
HA! I'm going to read this entry backwards so I can get the answers in the order I want them! And you can't do anything about it!

It takes a lot of work to keep nearly two hundred youngsters all together and the chaperone corps deserved special thanks for pulling that job off in good fashion.
They probably hired a Brazillion as a consultant. Were your kids singing and chanting much, by any chance?

(we thought we did at one point, but it turned out that someone was just not paying attention).
Huh? Wha? Where'd everybody go?

Our next mode of transport for the day would be the ferry “Miss New Jersey” which was just gliding into the landing channel at Ellis.

T3D5-303.jpg

I did a Google Image Search for "Miss New Jersey." My results are much nicer than that picture. :thumbsup2

Notice the rather long “pole” just to the left of the lady holding up the torch? That was actually a harbinger of an unfortunate development.
Just like Magic Kingdom in September! That D*#$ Crane Ruined my vacation pictures!!!

We haven't seen many pictures of you and your lovely bride, so I thought this would be nice time to interject with : Nice Picture!

“Well… I’ll tell you.”
Yaaaa!! More History!!

(Note: no sarcasm was used in writing that last sentence. History rocks. Well, actually, geology rocks. History is awesome. )

The formed copper parts that make up Liberty were actually finished, shipped to the US in 241 separate crates, and put into storage long before the base could be completed.
How much would you freak out if you were cleaning out a long-forgotten attic or garage and found a giant toe? Yeah, me too.

Here we go again... :rotfl2:

Notice the rather long “pole” just to the left of the lady holding up the torch? That was actually a harbinger of an unfortunate development.
:eek: Oh no! Lady Liberty has taken up pole dancing????

A disappointment? Yes, but still… it’s not every day I get to be this close to a national treasure, so we made the best of what opportunities we did have.
:thumbsup2

There is argument though as to whether it stood to one side or “straddled” the entrance, but they generally agree that it held some type of torch aloft and soared to better then one hundred feet above its already oversized base.
They don't know exactly how or where it stoood, but they know it held a torch up. :confused3 Kind of wonder how they come up with some of this information sometimes.

(entirely from private sources so know that your tax dollars were not wasted on public art here)
Thanks for reassuring me, but I already knew that my tax dollars didn't go toward building that pedestal. :rolleyes1 :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

I did a Google Image Search for "Miss New Jersey." My results are much nicer than that picture. :thumbsup2
:rotfl::rotfl2::lmao:

Do you have a new wallpaper on your computer at work now? We won't tell Bambi. :rotfl:

Just like Magic Kingdom in September! That D*#$ Crane Ruined my vacation pictures!!!
Maybe the photoshop crane removal expert should try to help out. I'm sure Max would like a picture of him and his friends without a crane. :rolleyes1

And more importantly, just why am I bothering you with this foolishness in the first place?

I don't know. What other foolishness would you like to bother us with?:confused3

Between the busses, ferries and extensive walking needed during this trip; we never once lost a sole (we thought we did at one point, but it turned out that someone was just not paying attention).

Impressive. :darth:

Once aboard we were off for the next rather familiar destination. A little spot on the map called Liberty Island.

I think I've heard of it... :scratchin

Notice the rather long “pole” just to the left of the lady holding up the torch? That was actually a harbinger of an unfortunate development. Well, unfortunate for us at least, but not so for the lady with the lamp. But I’ll get to that in a minute.

It would have been cool if they'd hung a sign on it that said "Gone Fishin'".

With the renovation still in progress, much of this monument’s amenities were closed. We couldn’t get into the Immigrant Museum and certainly not into the base or climb the statue itself.

:sad1:

Nice one!:thumbsup2

“Well… I’ll tell you.”

King: “No! Wait! Stop that!”

He's going to tell! He's going to tell!

When sufficient funds were finally raised (entirely from private sources so know that your tax dollars were not wasted on public art here),

Great! Then they can waste them on something else.

Nice pictures! Looks like you made the best of it.

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

HA! I'm going to read this entry backwards so I can get the answers in the order I want them! And you can't do anything about it!

And I’d expect no less.
The only problem is that it’s all just an illusion.
There are no answers to any questions here.

They probably hired a Brazillion as a consultant. Were your kids singing and chanting much, by any chance?

Thankfully… no. :rotfl2:

Huh? Wha? Where'd everybody go?

That was just about the actual response at the time.
I’ll probably add that detail into the next update.

I’m not surprised :lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl:
And if you’d have added “topless” to the search (not that I’m sayin’ you’d do such mind you), I’m sure the results would have been even more interesting.

Unexpected obstacles have been known to wreak havoc on vacation pictures.

Right Mark?

We haven't seen many pictures of you and your lovely bride, so I thought this would be nice time to interject with : Nice Picture!

Thanks.
I’d take more, but she gets upset with me whenever I point a camera in her direction.

Yaaaa!! More History!!

(Note: no sarcasm was used in writing that last sentence. History rocks. Well, actually, geology rocks. History is awesome. )

Ya’ know that encouraging me usually ends up badly, right?
But yes ::yes:: History is rather awesome

How much would you freak out if you were cleaning out a long-forgotten attic or garage and found a giant toe? Yeah, me too.

Here…
You might as well have a visual to go along with that mental image.

T3-022.jpg

Here we go again... :rotfl2:

Down boy… Behave.

:eek: Oh no! Lady Liberty has taken up pole dancing????

:lmao:
OK… I didn’t see that one coming.

They don't know exactly how or where it stoood, but they know it held a torch up. :confused3 Kind of wonder how they come up with some of this information sometimes.

There was wreckage from where the thing collapsed strune about the harbor, so the historians of the day did know a good bit about the structure. But, the base was not documented as well. Most credible descriptions have it standing to one side of the harbor entrance. The argument about ships having to pass between the statues legs to enter the harbor (which also presents a somewhat disquieting image) shows up more often in stories from folks that were just relating what they’d heard and had never been to Rhodes.

Thanks for reassuring me, but I already knew that my tax dollars didn't go toward building that pedestal. :rolleyes1 :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Not that old ‘eh? Pup.
Well be sure that your taxes did go toward the recent refurbishing of that bit of public art.

You can complain to your congressman now.

:rotfl::rotfl2::lmao:

Do you have a new wallpaper on your computer at work now? We won't tell Bambi. :rotfl:

I don’t know… Bambi may just need to hear about such :rolleyes1

Maybe the photoshop crane removal expert should try to help out. I'm sure Max would like a picture of him and his friends without a crane. :rolleyes1

Max would rather never have a photograph of himself in existence.
Like his mother, he can’t abide seeing pictures of himself which is just odd…
I’m the only ugly person in the house, but I can’t seem to convince everyone else.

I don't know. What other foolishness would you like to bother us with?:confused3

Hummmmm…
How about a brief discussion on skeletal structure, the reason why nineteenth century immigrants use the phrase: “a castle garden”, to describe anything that is disorienting or confusing, or why a beat up wreck of a world globe makes for a very sobering bit of remembrance?

I think I've heard of it... :scratchin

I seem to remember you sayin’ something about it.

It would have been cool if they'd hung a sign on it that said "Gone Fishin'".

:lmao: that would have been rather funny
(and more family friendly then the previous suggestion ;))

He's going to tell! He's going to tell!

CONCORDE: Quickly, sir! Come this way!!!

LAUNCELOT: “No, it's not right for my idiom. I must escape more..........[sigh]”

CONCORDE: “Dramatically sir?”

LAUNCELOT: “Dramatically!!!!“ [crash] [Launcelot hovers on chandelier]
“Excuse me, could, uh, could somebody give me a push, please...?”

Great! Then they can waste them on something else.

Roads and schools come to mind…
But most of my neighbors think that such socialist trappings are Un-American. Well… not “their” schools and roads of course, just those frequented by all those other scumbags out there that won’t take responsibility for themselves.

Nice pictures! Looks like you made the best of it.

I was still thrilled to be there.
Truth be told, if the museum were open, we probably still would not have had enough tome to really explore it.
I just need to take Tam back up there sometime in the near.

Part 4: Beneath the Surface

T3D5-401.jpg

The next bit of this trip was actually a transitional one. We were headed from Liberty Island toward the Financial District. But there was obviously a little bit more involved here then a short walk or hailing a cab. Now I’d probably be doing myself (and certainly y'all) a favor by just skipping this bit, but rather instead I think I’ll use it to tell a couple of small stories and bury some more unnecessary details.

Cause... that's what I do.

(but that don't mean that you have to read it)

An Inner Strength

T3D5-402.jpg

Since we could not get inside the statue this day, I decided to do a bit of research about the bits that I could not see, and that's bad news for you...

Mini Bonus Feature time!

Remember when I said that the Statue of Liberty arrived in over two hundred crates? Well there's a bit more to that story. What Frederick Auguste Batholdi actually built for the people of the United States was not so much a statue as it was a shell. What was in most of those crates were the exterior pieces or the skin of the statue. The internal workings were something else that had to be figured out. All of the beaten, pressed and molded copper plates were designed to fit together into a harmonious whole, but without some kind of skeleton, the whole thing would simply collapse upon itself.

What to do, what to do?

Well, this is the part of the story where another fairly famous designer arrived on the scene to help solve the problem. Everyone on this side of the pond just had to wait for him to finish up the project that he was working on at the time...

T3D5-403.jpg

...a temporary structure being built for some minor World’s Fair project.

Temporary?

Well yes...

No one in their right Victorian mind would have allowed anyone to erect such a hideous assault to the eye if they'd thought for a moment that the thing might become permanent scar on the skyline of the City of Lights.

Anyway, when Gustave Eiffel was finally available to take on another commission, he designed an armature that would properly support the ladies graceful form and flowing robes from the inside while also relieving the exterior of the structure from all load-bearing responsibilities (a nice bit of engineering, that).

T3D5-404.jpg

What this meant is that the individual plates could be thinner and more detailed while still being able to stand for far longer than originally expected. It also meant that the entire sculpture could be built in France, dismantled, shipped to the US and then reassembled (thus, all those crates).

T3D5-405.jpg

And when finally completed, Lady Liberty wielded another kind of inner strength. Well...

It’s actually more of an overtly outer strength...

T3D5-406.jpg

You can also see in that last picture that the guns along the batteries outside of old Fort Wood were left in place at first. The War Department did give up the now outdated star-fortress, but not the entire island fortification. Despite the new resident and the official change of name from Ft. Wood to Liberty Island, the historic oyster isle would continue to act as a military installation well into the next century.

T3D5-407.jpg

It was not until the 1950s that the last of the gun emplacements, barracks and shop buildings were finally removed and the island ended it dual role to become solely a monument.

Ive got one more little bit of hidden detail; the broken shackles. As imagined, Liberty is actually walking and in doing so she is trodding over a set of broken leg irons...

T3D5-422.jpg

It’s one of the more symbolic features of the entire structure yet it generally can’t be seen except from above.

T3D5-423.jpg

...and we weren't going to be offered that specific angle on this day.
Maybe next time.

Thats enough for now.
We return you to your regularly scheduled TR presentation already in progress...

On the Water Front

Since the museum was closed the NPS has set up a mini-museum in the form of a tent that was designed to explain the restoration work being done. Unfortunately, it wasn't open at the time either... but it was there. Oh well... There was a full size piece of Liberty's torch outside though to give you an idea of the detail, size and general thickness of the copper structure of the statue itself.

T3D5-408.jpg

I don't know if this was an original piece, a potential replacement piece, or just a mock up, but it did give you an idea of the structural elements being dealt with here.

We basically made one slow lap around Liberty Island. We saw the bits of artwork spread along the paths, and read most of the placards along the way. Id show you more of those, but they really only covered a bit of the information that I’ve already gone into in greater detail in the past two updates, so there's no sense in beating that horse any farther. Rather instead... Ill beat on a different dead horse by showing you another picture of a ferryboat.

T3D5-409.jpg

I just love watching the water and ships gliding along it. Actually seeing this one heading toward the dock was a bit of a reminder that we were starting to run a bit short on time. The decision was made that we ought to check out the gift shop (cause that's what tourists do by God) and then head back to the dock to meet up with the rest of the group.

I’ll say two things about the gift shop on Liberty Island. First, apart from the regular pencils, postcards and foam Liberty Crowns, there are actually a lot of relatively classy nick-knacks in there. Well... classy for kick-knacks that is, but we found a very nice understated Christmas ornament that included the image of Lady Liberty and the year. We collect ornaments from our travels... they make fun memories and being as we pull them out every year, they give us reasons to stop and reminisce while decorating the house. The second thing I’ll say about that gift shop is that it was hot. Physically stifling! Even for November, the wave of dry heated air that erupted from the door when you opened it was almost oppressive. We were all wearing coats and sweaters to deal with the cool of the day, but you had to strip all of those layers off if you planned to spend any more than a moment or two in the building. I don't see how the employees could stand it to be honest.

OK... that's enough of that particular useless detail. It’s time to move on (to the next useless detail).
So we waved good bye to the Lady of the house...

T3D5-410.jpg

And started back toward the boat dock and the crush of folks waiting to board.

T3D5-411.jpg

Being as a couple of unanticipated events chewed up a bit more time that I'm usually comfortable with (I'm a bit of a worrywart when it comes to schedules. ya' know) we were straggling just a mite and found ourselves pretty much at the back of the scrum. We were going to have to rely on hope that there would be enough room on this particular ferry for everyone in the group. It turns out that there was. The MV Statue of Liberty V, this particular ship, is one of the largest on the route. Most certainly a good thing. Much of the space aboard is devoted to standing rather than sitting, but there was space. No abject lessons had to be learned today at least. Being one of the last folks allowed on the boat, it was no time at all after boarding that we were on our way and leaving this most famous American symbol in our wake...

T3D5-412.jpg

The next stop was actually back to Ellis Island where nearly every other passenger got off. That left this ferry's limited seating completely available for our group to confiscate. This was an unexpected win considering that at first we were unsure that we'd even catch this run in the first place. After taking on additional passengers at Ellis, we were off again.

The new destination?

T3D5-413.jpg

...the financial district at the very southern tip of Manhattan Island. This was actually a fairly decent little ride so I had plenty of time to man the rails and watch the water. And especially to eye the other ships on the water; like this one...

T3D5-414.jpg

The Coast Guard patrol boat USCGS Tybee was making sure that everyone else on the water was playing by the rules. A little farther along and I caught a good glimpse of this somewhat larger vessel...

T3D5-415.jpg

The renowned Staten Island Ferry is not one ship. There are currently eight of them in service making the round trip (that one there happens to be the MV Senator John J. Marchi). These ships are also the only form of public transportation in the area that is free (at least the only one that I'm aware of). Yep... you pay not a single farthing, halfpenny, hay-penny or any other imaginable type of penny to board one of these ships. A round trip across the length of New York harbor and right by both of the oyster islands costs the thrifty tourist exactly...

bupkis.

That's something I'm going to have to do the next time I'm up there.

All Ashore

At this point, we were just about to the end of our final mini cruse with Battery Park looming into clear view just ahead of us...

T3D5-416.jpg

As the name would suggest, this was once a defensive position and it is still where you'll find Castle Clinton...

T3D5-417.jpg

Dating back to 1808 this sandstone fortification was originally on an artificial island, but the entire area has since been filled in and landlocked the fort. After spending relatively little time as an armed bastion, it was turned over to the city in the 1820s. The name then changed to Castle Garden and it has served over the years since in many capacities including stints as a beer garden, an exhibition hall, a theater and a public aquarium. It is perhaps best remembered though as America's first immigration station (predating Ellis Island). There is even a sculpture known as The Immigrants just outside the old fort to commemorate the diversity of folks that passed through here

T3D5-419.jpg

Between 1855 and 1890 more than 8 million new Americans first experienced the hustle and bustle of US life by attempting to navigate the noisy, chaotic and confusing confines of the Castle just after stepping off the boats. So vivid was the mass confusion experienced here that for many generations, the speakers of Yiddish would refer to any disorganized or frustrating experience as a Castle Garden.

Well, it’s just about time we got started toward our next destination on today's tour of remembrances. So from here well say a final goodbye to Lady Liberty...

T3D5-418.jpg

And start our walk into the heart of very old New York. The last bit of history we encountered before marching up Trinity was this rather battered bit of art...

T3D5-420.jpg

This was a bit of foreshadowing, and I’ll tell you more about it and the changes that modern events have brought to this part of the city in the next update. But as a somewhat of a curiosity builder, here's a different and older view if this piece of public art...

T3D5-421.jpg

Next up: Solemn Waters

CONCORDE: Quickly, sir! Come this way!!!

LAUNCELOT: “No, it's not right for my idiom. I must escape more..........[sigh]”

CONCORDE: “Dramatically sir?”

LAUNCELOT: “Dramatically!!!!“ [crash] [Launcelot hovers on chandelier]
“Excuse me, could, uh, could somebody give me a push, please...?”

I think Launcelot's tale is my favorite part of the whole movie.

Roads and schools come to mind…
But most of my neighbors think that such socialist trappings are Un-American. Well… not “their” schools and roads of course, just those frequented by all those other scumbags out there that won’t take responsibility for themselves.

As always, the answer is somewhere in the middle. Government-funded national parks and art certainly contributes quite a bit to our culture and quality of life. And roads and schools are important and necessary. But it's also hard to justify new expenses in that category when you're trillions in debt.

Since we could not get inside the statue this day, I decided to do a bit of research about the bits that I could not see, and thats bad news for you...

I think your research paid off. This is basically what you would have learned in the museum, anyway.

What was in most of those crates were the exterior pieces or the skin of the statue. The internal workings were something else that had to be figured out. All of the beaten, pressed and molded copper plates were designed to fit together into a harmonious whole, but without some kind of skeleton, the whole thing would simply collapse upon itself.

It is pretty amazing to see the inner structure and all those weirdly shape braces on the skin.

Well yes...
No one in their right Victorian mind would have allowed anyone to erect such a hideous assault to the eye if they thought for a moment that the thing would be permanent scar on the skyline of the City of Lights.

Clearly. :rotfl2::rotfl2:

Ive got one more little bit of hidden detail; the broken shackles. As imagined, Liberty is actually walking and in doing so she is trodding over a set of broken leg irons...

I don't even remember seeing that when I was looking down from above. It's hard to get to those particular windows.

I just love watching the water and ships gliding along it.

In other news, the water is wet. :rotfl:

The decision was made that we ought to check out the gift shop (cause thats what tourists do by God)

Especially if you're exiting a Disney ride.

Well... classy for knick-knacks that is, but we found a very nice understated Christmas ornament that included the image of Lady Liberty and the year. We collect ornaments from our travels... they make fun memories and being as we pull them out every year, they give us reasons to stop and reminisce while decorating the house.

We do the same! We have a little Statue of Liberty decorating our tree as well. But it gets lost in all the Mickey ear ornaments. :thumbsup2

However, the idea of always pushing a deadline past is maximum safe limit is normal for her... so off she went. Being as the idea of always pushing a deadline past its maximum safe limit is something I avoid like the plague... her sister and I werent quite as enthusiastic.

I'm with you. I hate being late for anything. So I'll join you in virtual aggravation.

The renowned Staten Island Ferry is not one ship. There are currently eight of them in service making the round trip (that one there happens to be the MV Senator John J. Marchi). These ships are also the only form of public transportation in the area that is free. Yep... you pay not a single farthing, halfpenny, hay-penny or any other imaginable type of penny to board one of these ships. A round trip across the length of New York harbor and right by both of the oyster islands costs the thrifty tourist exactly bupkis. Thats something Im going to have to do the next time Im up there.

We've talked about taking that route into the city next time we feel up to the adventure that is visiting NYC. It's both cost-effective and scenic, so that makes it hard to beat. :thumbsup2

As the name would suggest, this was once a defensive position and it is still where youll find Castle Clinton...

Can you inhale there?

And start our walk into the heart of very old New York. The last bit of history we encountered before marching up Trinity was this rather battered bit of art...

Judging from the buildings in the background of the "old" picture, this is going to be a very sobering update.

I'm actually not sure I ever knew about that detail...

Since the museum was closed the NPS has set up a mini-museum in the form of a tent that was designed to explain the restoration work being done. Unfortunately, it wasnt open at the time either...
:furious: Ain't that just your luck? :rotfl:

We were still cooling our heels. Just as the crew finished clearing the ship and opened the walkway for boarding... my SIL strolls up just as calm and casual as could be and asks if we were ready to head out. This kind of thing is normal for her and I do love the girl (bless her heart) but for Tamara and I, thats just far more stress that we really wanted to deal with.
I wouldn't have been too happy in that situation either. I'd have been tempted to just let her find her own way off the island if it came down to it. :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Interesting look at the engineering of the statue and the boat ride over to Manhattan. I'm sure the next update will have some very interesting bonus features to it as well.

Look at Rob posting a dirty "up the skirt" picture. Sinner.

church_lady.jpg

but rather instead I think Ill use it to tell a couple of small stories and bury some more unnecessary details.

Cause... thats what I do.
And we'd expect nothing less.

I decided to do a bit of research about the bits that I could not see
hehehehehehehe "bits that I could not see'. sinner.

All of the beaten, pressed and molded copper plates were designed to fit together into a harmonious whole, but without some kind of skeleton, the whole thing would simply collapse upon itself.

What to do, what to do?
DUCT TAPE!!

Since the museum was closed the NPS has set up a mini-museum in the form of a tent that was designed to explain the restoration work being done. Unfortunately, it wasnt open at the time either.
Maybe they should have set up a table next to the tent next to the museum to explain why the tent that explained why the museum wasn't open wasn't open. Trust me, I did the math. That sentence is correct.

The decision was made that we ought to check out the gift shop (cause thats what tourists do by God) and then head back to the dock to meet up with the rest of the group.
So, you can actually avoid a gift shop if you choose? How very un-Disney of them.

My SIL had bought a couple of post cards and wanted to mail them to her son from the island so that theyd have the unique postmark on them. A nice idea, but we were running out of time. However, the idea of always pushing a deadline past is maximum safe limit is normal for her... so off she went.
Yes...Bless Her Heart. :mad:

The name then changed to Castle Garden and it has served over the years since in many capacities including stints as a beer garden, an exhibition hall, a theater and a public aquarium.
If that particular building was in Wisconsin, it never would have made it to the exhibition hall, theater or public aquarium stages of life.:drinking1

I think Launcelot's tale is my favorite part of the whole movie.

That and the discussion on Swallows.

I think your research paid off. This is basically what you would have learned in the museum, anyway.

Good to know… But I still need to take Tamara back up there and see a number of different thing more thoroughly.

I don't even remember seeing that when I was looking down from above. It's hard to get to those particular windows.

That is one detail that I wish were more easily noticed.
It says much.

In other news, the water is wet. :rotfl:

Already know me well, do you. :rolleyes1

Especially if you're exiting a Disney ride.

There… it’s compulsory.
Here it was a distinct (and possibly foolish) choice on our part.

We do the same! We have a little Statue of Liberty decorating our tree as well. But it gets lost in all the Mickey ear ornaments. :thumbsup2

That can be a problem. We’ve taken to having multiple trees in the house to accommodate the various collections. :lmao:

I'm with you. I hate being late for anything. So I'll join you in virtual aggravation.

We live by the rule: if you’re on time… you’re late.
Nearly all my friends and a fair number of relatives however, work under the premise of: schedules are for others, surely they don’t mean me!

We've talked about taking that route into the city next time we feel up to the adventure that is visiting NYC. It's both cost-effective and scenic, so that makes it hard to beat. :thumbsup2

And it would have to be easier to park a car on Staten Island then it would be in Manhattan.

Can you inhale there?

Wrong Clinton, but I’ll leave the choice up to you.

Judging from the buildings in the background of the "old" picture, this is going to be a very sobering update.

::yes::
I found it to be so.

I'm actually not sure I ever knew about that detail...

As my daddy said to me more times then I can count…
Ya’ learn something new every day if you’re not careful.

:furious: Ain't that just your luck? :rotfl:

I win a few… that one I lost.

I wouldn't have been too happy in that situation either. I'd have been tempted to just let her find her own way off the island if it came down to it. :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

The thought did occur… but internal family strife is not in my best interest.
Now if we were to move about 500 hundred miles farther south where visits would be far less frequent (and a perfect place of refuge would be redialy available with the purchase of APs), that’d be a different story.

Interesting look at the engineering of the statue and the boat ride over to Manhattan. I'm sure the next update will have some very interesting bonus features to it as well.

Not as many as I might have originally liked.

I decided to have this done by the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday and I’ve run into a lot of things that are requiring more and more of my time. :sad2:

Look at Rob posting a dirty "up the skirt" picture. Sinner.

church_lady.jpg

:lmao: :rotfl2: :lmao: :rotfl2:
Only you’d see it that way…

And we'd expect nothing less.

but no one expects the Spanish Inquisition…

NOBODY_EXPECTS_THE_SPANISH_INQUISITION!.jpg

hehehehehehehe "bits that I could not see'. sinner.

I strung together a group of words.
You supplied the image all by yourself. :rolleyes1

DUCT TAPE!!

Had it been available at the time…
I suspect it would have been tried. :rotfl2:

Maybe they should have set up a table next to the tent next to the museum to explain why the tent that explained why the museum wasn't open wasn't open. Trust me, I did the math. That sentence is correct.

I should trust you math skills?
That would be in my best interest, how exactly?

So, you can actually avoid a gift shop if you choose? How very un-Disney of them.

When they move the statue down to Florida…
I’m sure that unnatural condition will be rectified very quickly.

Yes...Bless Her Heart. :mad:

And it needs to be blessed and blessed often. :rolleyes:

If that particular building was in Wisconsin, it never would have made it to the exhibition hall, theater or public aquarium stages of life.:drinking1

You math skills I’ll question. That last sentence…

I’ll accept that unconditionally.

Part 5: Reflecting Absence

T3D5-501.jpg

It’s been an interesting couple of weeks since I last spoke to y’all. I could bore you with details, but I’m already boring you with details from something that happened nearly a year ago as it is. Piling more on top just seems to be inhumane. So in the interest of peace and harmony amongst my fellow humans, I believe I’ll just start back up right where I left off.

Right here…

The Sphere

T3D5-502.jpg

At the west edge of Battery Park there is a temporary display of a piece of public art. The name of this statue is “The Sphere”. It is a 25 feet high bronze created by German sculptor Fritz Koenig, and was meant to symbolize world peace through world trade. That should be more than enough clues to place this piece in the context of recent history. The work originally stood in the middle of Austin J. Tobin Plaza, the area between the World Trade Center towers. After the process of clearing the ruble left from the tragedies of 2001, this was one of only a couple of artifacts that remained relatively intact.

T3D5-503.jpg

The damage is unmistakable, but it is almost miraculous that it was recovered in any recognizable condition at all. When asked in what way his feelings about the piece may have changed Koenig said:

"It was a sculpture, now it's a monument…
It now has a different beauty, one I could never imagine.
It has its own life – different from the one I gave to it."

That it does.

I said that this is its temporary home. No decision has been finalized for the ultimate fate of this work, but I hope that the city finds a more permanent place to maintain it. It’s more of a statement of resilience and recovery now and a fitting symbol.

The Corner of Greenwich and Liberty

T3D5-504.jpg

Just about a month before we had arrived in New York, the city had opened a new monument on the grounds of a previous tragedy. The scars (seen and unseen) and internal feelings that go along with the events of September 11, 2001 are still quite fresh to most of us. They are especially strong for the folks that live and work in Manhattan and the surrounding boroughs. To be respectful to everyone, I’m not going to go into great detail on what happened, or what decisions were made or any other major historical details at this time. My intention is to let you see what we saw, and then to let you take from that whatever you want or need to take.

From Battery Park our ponderous group started out on a short unguided walking tour of a small piece of the financial district. As we’d done all week when a longish walk was required to reach our next destination, everyone one gathered into groups by bus number, lined up by ones and tows, and headed off in a long train toward a new destination. Our penchant for doing this nearly always prompted interesting comments from the locals we encountered. They would attempt with varying degrees of success to determine just what the heck was going on that such a long procession of people would be clogging up their often narrow streets like lemmings headed for a cliff. Here are some of the folks from Bus-4 starting off toward Trinity and Church Streets….

T3D5-505.jpg

The first “sight” we encountered on this tour was once a mundane structure that has now become quite the attraction for bus tours and movie buffs alike;

MIB Headquarters…

T3D5-506.jpg

Hopefully, they're not Code-101 right now.

What you’re actually looking at here though is a building that houses part of the ventilator systems for the Brooklyn – Battery Tunnel. Here’s a look at the back side where it sits directly above the western entrance to the tunnel.

T3D5-507.jpg

From there our train continued along Church Street, which got its name honestly.

This is where you’ll find Trinity Church…

T3D5-508.jpg

…one of the oldest and most important churches in town. When the current building was completed in the 1840s its steeple was by far the tallest structure on the island and would remain so for better than fifty years…

T3D5-509.jpg

The walking train continued up Church Street until we got to the narrow cross street of Thames. This, at the time, was where you’d gather before being allowed to enter the 9/11 Memorial.

T3D5-510.jpg

And yes… the majority of that mass of people was our group. We were waiting for our 4:00 entry time. To control the number of folks in the new park, you have to get a timed ticket for entry. They are also very strict about searching every one before allowing you on the grounds. Like the process for the Liberty Island boats, everyone was screened but even more thoroughly than before. If something was left in a pocket or a belt was left on, or a bit of metal was attached to a garment (including under-wires in the ladies bras... seriously), there was cause for great concern followed by additional and diligent inspection. Finally, we were allowed into the mostly completed memorial gardens.

T3D5-511.jpg

Memorial

Once everyone was accounted for, we were given free reign of the park. I had no idea what to expect, as rather uncharacteristically I’d not researched this part of the trip at all. I knew that there was plan to use the original foot print of the two towers to create a water feature, but that was all.

Let me say that the result was both spectacular and moving…

T3D5-512.jpg

That is the fountain for the North Tower. The city asked architects, artists and designers to submit ideas for how best to respectfully re-imagine the main area of the WTC. After extensive reviews by a number of panels an idea created by American architect Michael Arad was chosen. Titled: "Reflecting Absence", the design called for two pools within the footprints of the Twin Towers. Each 1-acre pool is recessed into one of the original lower basement levels and is fed by waterfalls cascading down their sides. The water then makes its way to the center of each pool and cascades again to a lower level that cannot be seen directly by the viewer.

T3D5-513.jpg

These are currently the largest man-made waterfalls in the United States and the sound of the falling water is intended to drown out the harsher sounds of the city, making the site a contemplative sanctuary. The design works very well, and when you are here...

contemplation comes naturally.

The next major feature is the names. The names of all individuals lost that day are inscribed on 76 bronze plates attached to the parapet walls which form the edges of the two memorial pools.

T3D5-514.jpg

I caught Max on his own for a moment as he was considering the memorial.

T3D5-515.jpg

He rejoined his friends as they were reading the names and breathing in the view of the expansive sheets of water falling down the sides of what was the base for the south tower.

T3D5-516.jpg

Images stolen, I left them to experience the memorial in their own way. Letting go is tough for parents, but it’s also the most important job we have (which kind'a stinks). At this point he was just one year short of being declared an adult. Time to build his own experiences amongst his own peers is now more important than my desire to know exactly what he thought or how it affected him. It is also interesting to consider that when the events commemorated by these waters actually occurred, the oldest of these kids here had only just begun the second grade. Their understanding of it is almost exclusively from a historical perspective. And yet, it seems that all of them were very much moved by our visit to this memorial. That speaks well for the intent and work done to create this place of remembrance.

There is also a museum being built on the site…

T3D5-517.jpg

...but it was not yet open. Unfortunately, as of this writing it still has not been opened but I am hopeful that this will be corrected I the near future.

We stayed in the memorial garden until just after sunset and the change in light showed many different sides of the pools and grounds. I believe I’ll leave you with several more images from the memorial. I’ll also hush up for a bit and let you do the thinking and considering for a while.

T3D5-518.jpg

T3D5-519.jpg

T3D5-520.jpg

T3D5-521.jpg

T3D5-522.jpg

T3D5-523.jpg

T3D5-524.jpg

Next up: The kids take the square…

As silent contemplation is the best way to take in that memorial, it is also my only response to this update and the pictures.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter