A question for disdads that dive (CJ or others)

IamTrike

DIS Veteran
I'd really like DS and I to get scuba certified, is there a difference between PADI and SDI certification. PADI seems to be more recreational and SDI seems to make it easier to progress towards more technical or advanced diving licenses. Is there a training program that you would recommend?

I'd really like DS and I to get scuba certified, is there a difference between PADI and SDI certification. PADI seems to be more recreational and SDI seems to make it easier to progress towards more technical or advanced diving licenses. Is there a training program that you would recommend?

SDI is somewhat new and not a ton of places I know do the course. I don't know anyone who was certified by them so can't talk about the program. PADI is the most popular and has shops worldwide. When I got certified as a kid it was through the National Association of Scuba Diving Schools (NASDS). Now defunct. Got re-certified with PADI because I didn't dive for a while. Also when it was time for DD to learn to dive, it was with a PADI dive shop.

The big thing is to pick a place where you trust the dive operations and instructors. A good instructor makes a lot of difference. I was happy with the PADI curriculum and the instructor that taught Andriana.

The problem with PADI (and maybe SDI, I don't know) is that you are certified after pool dives and 4 open water dives. A good start but you should have some guided dives after certification for the experience. Some people think that once you get the card, you are Jaques Cousteau. After A had a few dives under her belt, we both took the Advanced Open Water (AOW) Course together. AOW teaches advanced navigation and a other good courses. You can also get Nitrox certified. They also have more advanced courses including Tech Diving. She may go for her Rescue Diver Certification this summer.

It is a great sport and whatever you decide, I say go for it. Since I got her certified, we had great father/daughter trips and many adventures. Not many kids have photographs like this. Of course we had to go to Hawaii to get that.

mantascreenshot1export_zps4383f6bc.png

If you want to travel down here, I know some great instructors. It can be done in a weekend wherever you go. Glad to answer any other questions you have,

SDI is somewhat new and not a ton of places I know do the course. I don't know anyone who was certified by them so can't talk about the program. PADI is the most popular and has shops worldwide. When I got certified as a kid it was through the National Association of Scuba Diving Schools (NASDS). Now defunct. Got re-certified with PADI because I didn't dive for a while. Also when it was time for DD to learn to dive, it was with a PADI dive shop.

The big thing is to pick a place where you trust the dive operations and instructors. A good instructor makes a lot of difference. I was happy with the PADI curriculum and the instructor that taught Andriana.

The problem with PADI (and maybe SDI, I don't know) is that you are certified after pool dives and 4 open water dives. A good start but you should have some guided dives after certification for the experience. Some people think that once you get the card, you are Jaques Cousteau. After A had a few dives under her belt, we both took the Advanced Open Water (AOW) Course together. AOW teaches advanced navigation and a other good courses. You can also get Nitrox certified. They also have more advanced courses including Tech Diving. She may go for her Rescue Diver Certification this summer.

It is a great sport and whatever you decide, I say go for it. Since I got her certified, we had great father/daughter trips and many adventures. Not many kids have photographs like this. Of course we had to go to Hawaii to get that.

mantascreenshot1export_zps4383f6bc.png

If you want to travel down here, I know some great instructors. It can be done in a weekend wherever you go. Glad to answer any other questions you have,

Thanks CJ. I'm going to start checking into schools around here. We're about an hour and a half from the coast so we'll get to do our open water dives out in the ocean. We spent a week in the keys last year, the weather was beautiful but the water was really churned up so we didn't get to do much snorkeling.

That picture is really great. I always enjoy your pictures.

IamTrike said:

Do PADI, if only because its larger and more widely recognized. In the end you will get more from your diving experience than from the course, you just need some basic instruction to get you started. Either will do the trick, but I'd imagine there are still some small shops in the corners of the world that won't recognize SDI.

Welcome to the world of diving. Wife and I have done 50+ dives together and created some of our best memories underwater.

Do PADI, if only because its larger and more widely recognized. In the end you will get more from your diving experience than from the course, you just need some basic instruction to get you started. Either will do the trick, but I'd imagine there are still some small shops in the corners of the world that won't recognize SDI.

Welcome to the world of diving. Wife and I have done 50+ dives together and created some of our best memories underwater.

Where do you dive? Ever visited the Keys?

Where do you dive? Ever visited the Keys?

I haven't, but I'd like to at some point. Did most of my diving on a liveaboard (best vacation ever!! got about 25 dives in during the week) in Belize, but have also been in Hawaii, Catalina Island, and quite a few when I was in grad school in North Carolina (probably the best wreck diving in this hemisphere, with tons of sharks to boot!).

My wife and I got certified shortly after we got married, but once we started our family I've been short my dive buddy.... We recently moved to Houston, so hopefully ill be able to find more opportunities now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter