A male perspective

3mscott

Earning My Ears
So, I am a lifelong Disney fan. I've been to WDW and DL numerous times as a child. This past March I got married. My DH and I are planning a trip for this May (with DS 8 and DD 7) and he seems excited. My DH has never been to anything Disney. He is a diesel mechanic (who builds pulling tractors in case you actually know what that is) and his father is a farmer. His family vacations consisted of the Missouri State Fair when he was younger. So...this is totally outside of his comfort zone. He seems totally on board and excited to have fun on our first big family trip (did I mention he is the best step-dad ever..) but I'm wondering if you Disdads have any great recommendations of "can't miss" rides/attractions for my fantastic DH?
Thanks in advance!!!

I'm a DH who grew up in a midwest farming family so I might be able to add something. I'm a sucker for the big rides - Rockin Rollercoaster, Tower of Terror, Expedition Everest, etc. The "lesser" rides are good as well, but I'm not as interested in the shows. Basically, I like to be moving. If he's at all competitive, TSM is a lot of fun with the kids. As a mechanic, he might also like the Lights Camera Action stunt show at HS, especially when they show how they modify the cars.

If he and the kids are into fishing, and you can work it in, I would take a look at the Bay Lake Fishing excursions. I took my 2 girls and son (mom slept in) and we had a blast. Everybody caught several big bass and the guide was terrific. It was a nice break from the parks.

It sounds like he's onboard already though, so I wouldn't worry much about it. Enjoy!

To go along with the diesel mechanic part of him. A couple of things that may interest him more than anything is trying to figure out in his head, how in the world did they create all of this. Mostly the 'mechanics' of the audiotronic aspects. I think that alone he'll be onboard and even more excited to do the next attracation and so on and son on.

I would add to the sugestion of excusions and see if you can book the behind the scences Train tour, they take the group back and show you haw they get the train ready for the park. I think a trip to the tree of life in AK is a great stop as well. Another free atration is when you enter MK go to the right inside the building they have some great models of WDW though ththe years and check out the D23 display at HS, I beleive it is called one mouse or something like that.
I think he will have a great time experiancing the parks with you and your boys.

Awesome ideas from everyone! Thank you all so much. Now I can plan a special something to let my DH know how much I appreciate him jumping in with both feet to this whole crazy Disney mania!!

I really appreciate you all taking the time to give me your input!

Yes, definitely the behind the e=scenes train tour. How about behind the seeds tour at The Land. It is based on the newest farming techniques and has a lot of hybrid plants. We enjoyed it very much and I would bet anyone that is farming would be interested.

I also agree the fishing excursions are a lot of fun, but a little expensive. Ds and I went last May and had a blast. Caught a lot of big bass and would do it again in a heartbeat.

The new test track is also opening and he may enjoy that ride.

Good luck. I think for someone who works that hard at his job, a little immersion into Disney would be just what the doctor ordered!:thumbsup2

I agree. Hard work deserves a reward, and what better reward than Disney? I'm really hoping he sees it that way too.

I am a little concerned as we finally received our planning DVD in the mail Saturday, and he FELL ASLEEP watching it? How is that possible?!? I was giddy with excitement, and looked over to see him snoozing. Maybe if you've never been there before the DVD isn't as meaningful? Anyway, I am trying to remain calm and remember just because the DVD was a flop, doesn't mean the trip is going to be. He is incapable of staying awake for any movies or TV shows (except Duck Dynasty) so this is normal.

Also, what is the Behind the Seeds tour? This sounds VERY interesting!

Thanks again to everyone. You all are certainly full of helpful information.

If he falls asleep watching TV, I wouldn't worry about him falling asleep during the DVD. If he's from Missouri perhaps a trip out to Tom Sawyer's Island would be in order too. It is based off of Twain's books which were set in Missouri.

If I remember right the behind the seeds is one of the cheaper tours you can take.
From what I know you tour the greenhouses that the ride goes thru and get to see up close the farm techniques and plants with a personal guide. It sounds like fun and we may do it in March.

I would try not to put your own focus on what he would like seeing or what he will enjoy doing. I guess what I'm trying to say is...a man often gets more enjoyment out of seeing his family having a great time.

I'm in Electronics and I love trying to see how the stuff works... and the fine details of it all. And as long as my family is having fun... I'm good.

He might... and I stress might...enjoy walking through the One Man's Dream Exhibit at the Studios... and the Film at the end about a young man from Marceline, Missouri that started all this stuff... with a little help from a Mouse.

I agree with the Train tour suggestion.

I would let Disney work the Magic and see what happens.

I agree. Hard work deserves a reward, and what better reward than Disney? I'm really hoping he sees it that way too.

I am a little concerned as we finally received our planning DVD in the mail Saturday, and he FELL ASLEEP watching it? How is that possible?!? I was giddy with excitement, and looked over to see him snoozing. Maybe if you've never been there before the DVD isn't as meaningful? Anyway, I am trying to remain calm and remember just because the DVD was a flop, doesn't mean the trip is going to be. He is incapable of staying awake for any movies or TV shows (except Duck Dynasty) so this is normal.

First, when you go to Epcot, there is the Living with the Land ride in the Land pavilion. It is a ride/story of the American farm land, which the ride takes you into Disney's agra- farming efforts. You can sign up to take a additional tour and see more of that in action. So, if he really likes the ride, then see if wants the tour. He may just want to keep on doing the other fun stuff. Disney also serve food they grow there at the Garden Grill (a dinner TS) or at the QS on the bottom floor.

Have a great trip.

If I remember right the behind the seeds is one of the cheaper tours you can take.
From what I know you tour the greenhouses that the ride goes thru and get to see up close the farm techniques and plants with a personal guide. It sounds like fun and we may do it in March.

First, when you go to Epcot, there is the Living with the Land ride in the Land pavilion. It is a ride/story of the American farm land, which the ride takes you into Disney's agra- farming efforts. You can sign up to take a additional tour and see more of that in action. So, if he really likes the ride, then see if wants the tour. He may just want to keep on doing the other fun stuff. Disney also serve food they grow there at the Garden Grill (a dinner TS) or at the QS on the bottom floor.

Have a great trip.

Yes, it is in The Land. The Behind the Seeds tour is a behind the scenes of the ride. You get to walk through and see how they irrigate the take care of the plants they have. There are tons of different varieties and some cross pollination to create new types. They show you how they make Mickey shaped vegetable and generally talk about how the farming landscape is changing. For someone that farms, I think it would be very interesting.

Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter