• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

A faux pas?

ILoveMyDVC

DIS Veteran
At lunch today with co-workers from another building. We see each other once a week or so. One mentioned going to Disney this Summer. Like everyone reading this, the next question was....

"Where are you staying?"

Answer: "Boardwalk."

hmmmmm - "what part?"

"I don't know."

"Weird - another co-worker* happened to call me at home this weekend to ask my opinion on changing their reservation from Boardwalk to YC."

(I said - YES! )
*completely not related and is unknown to co-worker A)

I said, "tell me more - could talk about Disney all day" and then I showed him my DVC 25th purse. He didn't seem to recognize it. So I said, "It's a DVC, Disney Vacation Club, purse."

Something about the body language so I asked him, are you a DVC member?

He is! He has never mentioned it. He seemed wicked uncomfortable. I asked if he owned the car in the garage with the sticker/magnet. Not him. Anyway, it was a little weird. Almost like he was ashamed of it. Didn't want people to know. IDK. Member for 5 years. What's up with that?

I hate telling people that I have a “timeshare” as 99% of timeshares are just money sucking scams. Then one has to get all defensive explaining how DVC is different while people are shaking their heads thinking “you are so pathetic”.

We all know that DVC really is different, but it’s hard to convince others.

While DVC may be a positive for some people, others may think that spending a huge chunk of money on a timeshare is something that they would never do.

In fact many would never spend the money to go on a Disney vacation.

:earsboy: Bill

I hate telling people that I have a “timeshare” as 99% of timeshares are just money sucking scams. Then one has to get all defensive explaining how DVC is different while people are shaking their heads thinking “you are so pathetic”.

We all know that DVC really is different, but it’s hard to convince others.

But that is the thing - I am a DVCer - 14 years. My face lit up - I wasn't going to need his 'timeshare' or an explanation - I could teach it.

While DVC may be a positive for some people, others may think that spending a huge chunk of money on a timeshare is something that they would never do.

In fact many would never spend the money to go on a Disney vacation.

Oh sure - I see the eyes roll when I say it is a timeshare despite shouting DISNEY RUN AND OWNED on DISNEY property - but he is a member and so am I . Do you think it was to avoid explaining to the other 2 people sitting there?

Oh sure - I see the eyes roll when I say it is a timeshare despite shouting DISNEY RUN AND OWNED on DISNEY property - but he is a member and so am I . Do you think it was to avoid explaining to the other 2 people sitting there?

Honestly I don’t understand the “what part” question either.

And you want a guy to recognize a purse? It would be unusual if he did.

And he’s very likely like my soon to be ex. Just lets the wife do the planning. Mine doesn’t want it (he’s the one that insisted on the purchase and the loan!) and is willing to sign it over completely. He has no clue.

And...

It was at work, and timeshares mean you’re talking money and vacation time, and both are kind of not ok to talk about at work.

I try not to talk about ownership too much at work, or even with family, because it really is a sign of wealth. People say on these boards all the time to not buy unless you can afford to pay cash. My older brother would have loved to have bought in, but his wife lost her job during the recession and that put them in a big hole. People at work have gone through similar situations. If I just talk about owning without being asked, it feels like bragging to me.
Just yesterday, I was talking about summer plans with a coworker and she mentioned what a great vacation going to her parent's house is. She then asked me where I was going and I told her Disney World. "What fun!" she said, "Is this your daughter's first trip? She'll be so excited!" I almost felt embarrassed saying that it was her 5th trip in 3 years. I wear my obsession with Disney on my sleeve, but by talking about those trips, and ownership, I am making it quite clear that I can afford them, while many others cannot.

I try not to talk about ownership too much at work, or even with family, because it really is a sign of wealth. People say on these boards all the time to not buy unless you can afford to pay cash. My older brother would have loved to have bought in, but his wife lost her job during the recession and that put them in a big hole. People at work have gone through similar situations. If I just talk about owning without being asked, it feels like bragging to me.
Just yesterday, I was talking about summer plans with a coworker and she mentioned what a great vacation going to her parent's house is. She then asked me where I was going and I told her Disney World. "What fun!" she said, "Is this your daughter's first trip? She'll be so excited!" I almost felt embarrassed saying that it was her 5th trip in 3 years. I wear my obsession with Disney on my sleeve, but by talking about those trips, and ownership, I am making it quite clear that I can afford them, while many others cannot.
This-I feel guilty telling family members or neighbors who can’t afford to go that we are going AGAIN or that we own a timeshare there that allows us to visit more than once a year. A Disney trip (or similar) is a BIG deal to a lot of people (a one in a lifetime thing for some families) and I probably would have responded the same way if there were others there when you were asking. It’s one thing to discuss it with a fellow owner it’s another to do so in front of 2 others.

Honestly I don’t understand the “what part” question either.

And you want a guy to recognize a purse? It would be unusual if he did.

And he’s very likely like my soon to be ex. Just lets the wife do the planning. Mine doesn’t want it (he’s the one that insisted on the purchase and the loan!) and is willing to sign it over completely. He has no clue.

And...

It was at work, and timeshares mean you’re talking money and vacation time, and both are kind of not ok to talk about at work.

WOW a little angry in the morning. We are loosely friends. Some of us have to each other's homes. We were at lunch in a huge room - not elbow to elbow. We all know each other's salaries - in fact everybody does. We were discussing vacations - all 4 of us. I explained the purse - "see DVC - Disney Vacation Club" - I did not expect him to recognize it. I did expect him to recognize the words, "DVC - Disney Vacation Club."

Sorry your DH doesn't want to plan. DH1 was very much like that but still enjoyed himself wherever he went and got excited about going. DH2 won't even listen to the plans, refuses to get excited about going anywhere and then makes me feel guilty because he missed swimming in the airport chain hotel pool while in ROME! or missing working out in the gym (yes, OKW has a gym but it's not "adequate"). I know the pain.

This-I feel guilty telling family members or neighbors who can’t afford to go that we are going AGAIN or that we own a timeshare there that allows us to visit more than once a year. A Disney trip (or similar) is a BIG deal to a lot of people (a one in a lifetime thing for some families) and I probably would have responded the same way if there were others there when you were asking. It’s one thing to discuss it with a fellow owner it’s another to do so in front of 2 others.

I could believe this IF we aren't all in the same financial house and the group wasn't discussing vacations. All of us have been to WDW many times and other countries a few times. Guy 1 was just back from Greece. Guy 2 was in California for 2 weeks in March and then Canada. Guy 3 and I are both going to the same two places this year. It was the DVC part - he happily went on to talk about tickets/passes and parks

Maybe it was something he had already said to one of the others, on another occasion, like “no, we do not own timeshares.” Yet somehow he felt caught cause of his response.

once people know they ask for discounts or if they can stay at your place. They don't even want to pay. Do they really think you have it for free?

I may have had wealth, had I not purchased DVC, it's only encouraged me to vacation more and spend more money.

So true, that is why Disney loves selling DVC and why they are willing to convert resort rooms to DVC units. DVC owners spend more at Disney compared to other guests and the contract is for 50 years..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter