* A couple of Gluttons go to the World 11/09-11/19 lots of pics*updated BOMA!

momofdbsdc thanks so much for reading

luciloo there's lots more to come!

Cass- thanks for pointing that out, you're right it was asparagus!

LOL, so maybe that was why they were using the funny name for it. I don't think they use a lot of spinach since the ecoli scare a few months ago.

We had lunch at the Garden Grill at EPCOT this particular day. I was definitely excited for this one. I had read so many great reviews so I was expecting the best!

And the best we did receive! YUM!

For a drink I had a rasberry daiquiri that was delicious.

We were given bread with a pumpernickle butter that was verrrrry good right when we sat down. The bread was moist and absolutely delicious and the butter was sweet. The combination was PERFECT.

PB140711.jpg

We were then given our plate of food. We were allowed to have as many plates as we wanted after this one. On the plate there was flan steak with a brown mushroom sauce. The steak was tender and the sauce was delicious. We were given turkey with cranberry sauce- yum. The fried catfish was AMAZING. Seriously, I'm fantasizing about it right now. The stuffing was wonderful as was the mashed potatoes. Everything was truly wonderful.

PB140712.jpg

For dessert we were given warm bread pudding with a vanilla sauce to put on top. This was hands down my favorite dessert of the trip. I give Garden Grill a solid A for overall experience and character interaction and for the food an 8 out of ten. We will make it a point to go there everytime we're at the world. :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

PB140713.jpg

That evening we had dinner reservations at The California Grill. I was very excited as we had never been there before and for the rave reviews from the disers. I have to say it was a big disappointment. Yes, there was a view of the castle and space mountain but it was very far away.

We were started off with bread and oil. The oil was very bitter but otherwise the bread was good.

PB140752.jpg

For appetizers I had the sonoma goat cheese ravioli. This was okay, but not superb.

PB140755.jpg

Jay had sushi. I forget which one it was but I think it was the Yoshie's Sushi Samper. The sushi I will admit was very good. This was the best part of our meal.

PB140756.jpg

For our entrees I had the halibut. The halibut was AWFUL. It was steamed with rice and vegetables. and had an overwhelming pickle flavor. If you go to the grill definitely do not order this!

PB140758.jpg

Jay had the steak which he said was good but definitely not worth the price. The steak was tender and we ended up splitting it.

PB140759.jpg

For dessert I had the apple tart. It was pretty good, but I'm a bit of a sweet tooth.

PB140764.jpg

Jay had the chocolate flourless cake with rasberry sorbet. Again, it was good but not great

PB140765.jpg

I have to say I was underwhelmed with the CG. This is not a romantic place to eat. It's loud and kind is more like a singles bar. Although the food wasn't terrible I wouldn't say it's anywhere near the price. It seems the view of the Magic Kingdom is the big draw here. We wouldn't go back. I'd give it a 5 out of 10 or a C and Jay says the same.

PB140754.jpg

Great dinning report, love the pics! I am also reading your trip report and I know what you mean about being Italian and eating Italian food outside of the Tri-state area. ;) My DH will not eat Italian food in Disney...he always says "If they can't get the Pizza right what makes you think they will get the rest of it right?" :rotfl2:

Keep up the good work, can't wiat to hear the rest.

Loralie

I have to admit I was really surprised the first time I went to California Grill, I was expecting a quiet, upscale adult atmosphere and it was utter chaos in there, extemely loud that you had to speak loudly to have a conversation and tons of people lined up by the entrance waiting to get in, babies everywhere and kids running all over the place.

The food was VERY good though, I am giving it another try, but I didn't have fish - I guess there was lots of dill on your halibut making it taste like pickles :(

That apple tart looks good though, I might try that next month :)

Hi Loralie- thanks for reading. Italian food just isn't the same outside of this area. While we had fun at Tonys we'd probably never eat there again. Thankfully there's so many other nice restaurants to choose from!

Hey Cass. Yes very loud indeed. While we had a great time maybe we just didn't order right. I hope you have a more positive experience and I'll be looking foward to hearing how it goes! I just noticed that you'll be staying at AKL. Hands down our favorite resort!

Yep, AKL is my fav too! :goodvibes why did you stay at WL if AKL is your fav?

We are going to CG on my birthday :bitelip:

Cass said:
Yep, AKL is my fav too! :goodvibes why did you stay at WL if AKL is your fav?

We are going to CG on my birthday :bitelip:

We split the stay between the wilderness lodge and AKL because we had never stayed at WL before. While we loved WL we were happy to go back to the lodge for the last 4 nights of our trip!

I swear I really wanna just be in the world but at the same time i'm sooooo excited to EAT in the world! LOL! Great reviews & pics!!!!

So far we have ADR's at :

Planet Hollywood
Coral Reef
50's Prime Time Cafe
Sci Fi Dine In
Le Cellier
Boma
Mama Melrose (Fantasmic Package)
Tony's Town Square
Les Chefs de France
O'Hana

.. that takes up ALL our TS meals unfortunately .. Garden Grill is a TS right? So I wont be able to use it .. hmm i dont even think we have enough days to eat at all the places i WANT to eat at!! Hopefully my Dining Report turns out good! .. was it embarassing to take pictures in the restaurants? Im a little nervous about that!!

Kat- thanks for reading. I can't wait to hear all about your trip. Also, I know what you mean. Sometimes I get just as excited for the food as for the trip!

Blayne- those ADR's sound GREAT. We've eaten at all of them except Mama Melrose, Le Cellier and Les Chefs de France. All of them we had a great time at! Also, it wasn't embarassing taking pictures in the restaurant. Everyone does!

excellent report!!

Man your pics of the Garden Grill makes me want to go back!!

My family want to try Coral Reef this trip so I can't do it :(

I am going to keep trying to convert them though :earboy2:

serendipity said:
Blayne- those ADR's sound GREAT. We've eaten at all of them except Mama Melrose, Le Cellier and Les Chefs de France. All of them we had a great time at! Also, it wasn't embarassing taking pictures in the restaurant. Everyone does!

Thanks!! .. i did A LOT of reading up on them and even though I've read a lot of bad reviews on Coral Reef I still plan on going there for valentines day because the atmosphere will be great and me and my bf will pretty much eat anything! .. well almost anything! I had a dream last night that I was taking pictures of food at some random restaurants and that I forgot to take a picture of a meal and wanted to take a picture of someone elses so that everyone on the DIS wouldnt be disappointed :rotfl2: !! .. its was so weird!! AHH .. this trip should be VERY interesting!!

Thanks so much for your great reviews! Anxiously awaiting your review of Jiko!

GoodolGal- thanks so much for reading. We LOVE the garden grill and coral reef! Good luck on converting them!

Blayne I LOVE that you had a dream about that! How funny! I can't wait till you go so I can read all about your trip!

Shovan- thanks for reading! I can't wait to post it for you

Side note- I'm sorry I haven't posted anything recentely. I had a bit of bad news concerning family health and I've been a bit distracted. I PROMISE to update both my food report and trip report tomorrow though!

Hey! I just found your Dining Review TR! I don't know how I missed it?!? I love your pictures! I'm sorry you guys had a bad dinner at CG! It's strange, because we just went a couple of weeks ago and had a great time! (although, we didn't have the halibut - sounds nasty! pickles! ick! :crazy2: ) Anyway, I totally agree about Artist Point. I love that place! We're going there for our Christmas dinner!

-Michelle

mlill said:
Hey! I just found your Dining Review TR! I don't know how I missed it?!? I love your pictures! I'm sorry you guys had a bad dinner at CG! It's strange, because we just went a couple of weeks ago and had a great time! (although, we didn't have the halibut - sounds nasty! pickles! ick! :crazy2: ) Anyway, I totally agree about Artist Point. I love that place! We're going there for our Christmas dinner!

-Michelle

Hi Michelle-thanks for reading! I guess we just had a bad experience, but I'm happy to hear that you had a nice one. Have a great Christmas dinner!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter