• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

:)

I'm not sure about POFQ having rooms for five people. In April my friends stayed one night at POR with two adults & three children before moving with us to OKW. I picked them up in the morning. It was a tight squeeze in the room for hte five of them & their luggage. I cannot imagine adding a wheelchair to the mix. Perhaps you could think about requesting adjoining rooms.

and a single bed slides under one of the doubles during the day.

I would call WDW and ask for some help with from the special services CM's.:)

HTH!!

:sunny:

How mobile is the person in the wheelchair? I know there is a problem as far as transferring to the toilet at POR and I would be very careful of POFQ because they were built around the same time. Also the rooms for 5 are in POR in Alligator Bayou and I don't know if they have any for 5 in POFQ. The rooms are not any bigger but have a trundle bed for the 5th person. All the handicapped rooms are king beds as far as I know so you would need 2 rooms.

We srayed at both POR and POFQ when DD was little (and had a little wheelchair -it's interesting how the wheelchairs grow with the kids). We fit OK, but there were only 4 of us and once we got to the room, we were pretty much done for the day and the wheelchair was parked by the table at the front of the room. I don't honestly remember if she could drive around the room or not, but her adult wheelchair only has a seat width of 14 inches (which is pretty teeny for an adult) and her child's chair was even smaller. So she can still fit in places where some adult wheelchairs don't fit.
She was small at that time, so we lifted and carried her to the bed, bathtub and toilet. If we had added another person or DD was too big to carry around, I don't think it would have worked at all.
Here's the phone number for Special Needs Resort Reservations: 407-939-7807 (TTY: 407-939-7670)
If you need 3 rooms, you want to ask for connecting rooms. Those are the ones with a door inside that connects them together. Adjoining rooms are just next to each other.

SueM in MN said:
If you need 3 rooms, you want to ask for connecting rooms. Those are the ones with a door inside that connects them together. Adjoining rooms are just next to each other.

Sue, thanks for the clarification - I meant connecting rooms in my post above then.

We have a reservation at POFQ in a few weeks and we will have 2 connecting rooms for the 4 of us. My DS is a wheelchair user and DH is also disabled and walks with a stick. The accessible rooms at this resort have a king bed, hence the need for 2 rooms. It sounds like this is also what you need, ring special reservations (407-939-7807) and explain your situation, I am sure they will know the best way to accommodate you.

Since POFQ does not accommodate 5 people in a room I don't think that Disney will comp them the extra room. They would need to connecting room anyway to stay at this resort. Now if they were requesting a room at POR that accommodates 5, then it would be a different situation.

Only POR in the Alligator Bayou section has the trundle bed and it's listed "for a child under age 8" as it's a small bed with a rather thin mattress. We stayed there once with two adults and three children and it was a tight fit with no one in a wheelchair! POFQ rooms only accomodate a maximum of four. As Lisa mentioned, the bathroom situation at both these resorts is less than optimal- I cannot transfer in these bathrooms due to the placement of the toilet next to the wall. The sinks are outside the shower/toilet area which makes for a really tight fit. I always ask questions about the layout of the room when I speak with someone in special services although the policy has recently changed and you are no longer able to speak to a CM in that dept, unless they had enough people complaining and/or getting their reservations screwed up. Anyway, unless one of your children is small/young they won't let you make a reservation for 5 at POR. Just as an FYI, rooms at Coronado Springs are much easier for someone in a wheelchair to navigate. Kathy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter