75 employees laid off at Pixar, including the director of Lightyear

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a confluence of things - marketing, timing, quality, reviews, etc. Explain why a very DEI-centric movie like Spider-Verse did so well? It's because most movie goers really don't care about that stuff one way or the other.
Just to correct you….spider-verse is not DEI centric. When you have characters in a movie/show that are POC in roles that are traditionally POC, that is not an example of DEI. As another example, Black Panther is not DEI centric either.

Most people, at least in the US, don’t care about diverse characters on screen. What some people object to is the “forced” use of diverse characters. I’m not saying that is always the case when you have a cast of diverse characters, I’m just saying that when it appears that that is the case, many people object to it.

Just to correct you….spider-verse is not DEI centric. When you have characters in a movie/show that are POC in roles that are traditionally POC, that is not an example of DEI. As another example, Black Panther is not DEI centric either.

Most people, at least in the US, don’t care about diverse characters on screen. What some people object to is the “forced” use of diverse characters. I’m not saying that is always the case when you have a cast of diverse characters, I’m just saying that when it appears that that is the case, many people object to it.
While true, Spider man started off as white and not a POC. Miles Morales was introduced as a POC Spider Man and was not received well due to what people felt was DEI and checking the box. So, I think this would count as something that would be DEI centric. Also the film itself has LGBT hints and background items, which is no different that what people are claiming Disney has been doing in its films.

When you switch a character that has been white for 40+ years and cast a person of color, it just doesn't seem authentic. The other way around, and it's "cultural appropriation". Funny how the same folks that claim nobody should care about that type of switch seem to justify it by says people need to see people that "look" like them in movies. If how someone "looks" shouldn't matter to some, it shouldn't matter to anyone.

While true, Spider man started off as white and not a POC. Miles Morales was introduced as a POC Spider Man and was not received well due to what people felt was DEI and checking the box. So, I think this would count as something that would be DEI centric. Also the film itself has LGBT hints and background items, which is no different that what people are claiming Disney has been doing in its films.
Miles Morales has always been a POC since he was introduced over 10 years ago. That’s why I don’t consider it to be an example of DEI.

TLM is different because that is an example of DEI. I do think that that did contribute somewhat to the performance of the movie, but who knows how much (it could be negligible). They make the mistake of having the story stray too much for those wanting to see it out of nostalgia but not nearly enough to get people interested in a “new or unexpected” storyline. I think they will do the same thing with Snow White and will see even worse results.

From what I’ve seen, Elementals has nothing to do with DEI. I think the marketing was terrible. Word of mouth seems to be making a difference for it though.

There are so many factors that contribute to whether a movie does well or not, I think that the whole DEI stuff isn’t probably what making the biggest impact. I think, if anything, some people are avoiding Disney movies entirely regardless of what it’s about or who is in it. I don’t know if it’s really that significant though.

Budget, marketing, cast, story, timing…take your pick out of the grab bag of reasons a movie doesn’t do well.

When you switch a character that has been white for 40+ years and cast a person of color, it just doesn't seem authentic. The other way around, and it's "cultural appropriation". Funny how the same folks that claim nobody should care about that type of switch seem to justify it by says people need to see people that "look" like them in movies. If how someone "looks" shouldn't matter to some, it shouldn't matter to anyone.
Other than Ariel, who are you referring to? Hamilton put actors of all races in the roles of the founding fathers and it was pretty unique and groundbreaking. It was forced diversity and it was a massive success. And I go back to, yet again, that Cinderella was changed to a person of color by Disney in the 90s and no one acted like it was the biggest crime against humanity. If that happened in our current climate, it would be "woke" or decried by the same outrage merchants that crop up any time it now happens in even the most remote ways.

It's not like these types of remakes are memorable anyway. Just a lazy cash grab. Nobody will remember any of it in 10 years. The originals will always be the standard and what people think of when the dust settles.

once again I did not say anything hateful I just disagreed with the mob. Is respectfully disagreeing part of the rules? I know the risks but it’s sad immature tactic to silence anyone from saying anything. I guess you’re ok with that ?
You may have said something viewed as hateful without knowing it. From what I have seen it takes a lot for mods to act on something so I have a hard time believing you had a post deleted for no reason.
Your argument seems to be that if a movie has DEI that it must come at expense of the story - it doesn't. They are coming up with stories that are inherently inclusive, and they can be good. The issue comes from those who simply don't want to see those kinds of stories at all.
Exactly. The criticisms come long before the movie is released so it’s hard to take them seriously. In this very thread we have people claiming a movie that opened today is a box office failure.

Last edited:
Miles Morales has always been a POC since he was introduced over 10 years ago. That’s why I don’t consider it to be an example of DEI.

TLM is different because that is an example of DEI. I do think that that did contribute somewhat to the performance of the movie, but who knows how much (it could be negligible). They make the mistake of having the story stray too much for those wanting to see it out of nostalgia but not nearly enough to get people interested in a “new or unexpected” storyline. I think they will do the same thing with Snow White and will see even worse results.
Miles Morales was introduced to be the new Spider Man. That is no different than just making Spider Man a POC and is the same thing as TLM.

As Morty might say: That's the same just with extra steps.

Other than Ariel, who are you referring to? Hamilton put actors of all races in the roles of the founding fathers and it was pretty unique and groundbreaking. It was forced diversity and it was a massive success. And I go back to, yet again, that Cinderella was changed to a person of color by Disney in the 90s and no one acted like it was the biggest crime against humanity. If that happened in our current climate, it would be "woke" or decried by the same outrage merchants that crop up any time it now happens in even the most remote ways.

Because novelties often wear thin, eventually. Race switching was the cool thing in the moment, and lots of people like to virtue signal how amazingly progressive they are. But once the new wears off, it just becomes a tired, lazy attempt to pander. Notice, Barbie and Mario didn't make that mistake with their movies. Mario looked like the Mario from the 80s, and Barbie looked like the doll that made the product famous. Has nothing to do with race or not being inclusive, it's just nostalgia. And people expect their nostalgia to be familiar, not some kind of DEI statement.

Miles Morales was introduced to be the new Spider Man. That is no different than just making Spider Man a POC and is the same thing as TLM.

As Morty might say: That's the same just with extra steps.
Miles Morales is an alternate universe Spider-Man. Not the new Spider-Man.

TLM is different because it’s not meant to be in an alternate universe. So they changed the ethnicity of an existing character.

MI7 isn't exactly blowing it out of the water when people thought the Top Gun effect would happen with it

IMO waiting 35 years, then handling the characters correctly can be really successful. It's just not many can wait that long.

MI7 was 5 years between, so I'm not surprised it would be much different results than most MI films.

But for me, just give me a good sensible story.

I also think things like this are a bigger deal now because DEI is starting to hit closer to home with more people. It was cool when it was on a screen somewhere in Hollyweird. But when it's your job that is impacted, or you kid that is impacted, suddenly it's not quite as cool as it was when it only impacted others.

I also think things like this are a bigger deal now because DEI is starting to hit closer to home with more people. It was cool when it was on a screen somewhere in Hollyweird. But when it's your job that is impacted, or you kid that is impacted, suddenly it's not quite as cool as it was when it only impacted others.
How is my job or kids impacted by DEI? Just want to make sure I'm following your logic and not putting words in your mouth before I respond.

Because novelties often wear thin, eventually. Race switching was the cool thing in the moment, and lots of people like to virtue signal how amazingly progressive they are. But once the new wears off, it just becomes a tired, lazy attempt to pander. Notice, Barbie and Mario didn't make that mistake with their movies. Mario looked like the Mario from the 80s, and Barbie looked like the doll that made the product famous. Has nothing to do with race or not being inclusive, it's just nostalgia. And people expect their nostalgia to be familiar, not some kind of DEI statement.
I have news.

IMG_0282.jpeg

Those represent different iterations of “Barbie” dolls. Which are different sizes and ethnicities in real life. The original Barbie (which is obviously white) is portrayed by exactly the type of actress you would expect. That is why there is no “controversy”.
Originally Amy Schumer was cast to be Barbie and often I wonder if there would be backlash towards that decision since she isn't exactly super popular in terms of image.

That's not news. Barbie dolls have been diverse for a while, as they should. But when it came to the main Barbie character, they were true to it's original character.

If fact, it would have wrong and less authentic to leave them out. I think WB handled it perfect. We'll see how it works out for them at the box office.

Last edited:
Originally Amy Schumer was cast to be Barbie and often I wonder if there would be backlash towards that decision since she isn't exactly super popular in terms of image.

Probably would have been an issue. Someone that looks like Margot Robbie didn't happen by accident. From what I heard, they inject a lot of satire, but I don't think they would want to take it that far.

Last edited:
Those represent different iterations of “Barbie” dolls. Which are different sizes and ethnicities in real life. The original Barbie (which is obviously white) is portrayed by exactly the type of actress you would expect. That is why there is no “controversy”.

Exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter