55 plus Adult Active Communities in Florida Recommendations

Jimmy Buffett is building a 55+ margaritaville active community by watersound in the panhandle.

I don’t love 55+ active communities, but I would be interested in that one :)
The four of us checked this out & it looks like a very active place to live., & nice! My brother loved it, that's supposed to be ready 2020, just when we will be moving!
Thank you I would have never known about these!

We live in Solivita from October to late April. http://www.avhomesinc.com/communities/solivita/ We chose it due to a short drive to visit Mickey and we like to stay away from the coasts due to the hurricanes. It's an hour and a half to either coast. We had friends that lived in The Villages and visit them often as it's nice there too, but further away from Mickey.

We live in Solivita from October to late April. http://www.avhomesinc.com/communities/solivita/ We chose it due to a short drive to visit Mickey and we like to stay away from the coasts due to the hurricanes. It's an hour and a half to either coast. We had friends that lived in The Villages and visit them often as it's nice there too, but further away from Mickey.

What are the monthly HOA fees at Solivita?

One thing I'll point out is that a number of communities in traditional retirement areas of Florida may not market themselves as '55+ active', but the reality is that they truly are.

My MIL's community in Fort Myers would be a good example - it's not exclusively a 55+ development. In fact, a number of Twins and Red Sox players live there during spring training. But the majority of activities and events that the club plans is geared toward active, older adults.

I would find an area you'd like to live in and then a community that has the right feel - don't worry specifically as to whether or not it's advertised as 55 and over.

My friend and her husband live in The Villages. They love it there. Bought a brand new house or condo and snowbird there from CO. They said there is a ton to do (all sorts of groups for crafts, sports, trips, like sports teams). I know they both golf in golf groups, her husband plays softball, they have been on a few trips with friends from there. And they are close to WDW and go several times during their FL each year since they also have DVC.

If you want warmer weather, you might also want to look at the West Villages, which are in Sarasota County between Venice and Myakka State Park. (This is NOT a part of THE Villages; different company altogether.) That far South the water is warm enough to swim for a good 9 months out of the year, so it's a good choice if you are into water sports.

This is a list of all of the HOA fees: https://www.davidbarrhomes.com/west-villages-venice-fl-fees Median property tax in Sarasota Co is just over $2K, but that's skewed a bit by the presence of so much expensive waterfront property on the coast.

Being near Sarasota is a plus if you enjoy the cultural scene; lots of theatre and art events there.

We are driving home from FL now and spent nearly a week of our 3 week vacation looking at new home communities in the Tampa-Sarasota area. We also spent a few hours touring the models at Margaritaville in Daytona yesterday. I will try to post more about it when I get home. I do agree with what Soccerdad72 said though about finding a community that feels right for you. There are plentiful new communities each with a different feel. Also the other Margaritaville is in Hilton Head.

My parents live in Solivita. It's nice, but it is literally in the middle of nowhere. Takes forever to get to decent shopping and dining.

Also, 55+ in Florida often, in reality, means 75+. Be prepared to be surrounded by VERY old people, for the most part.

My parents live in Solivita. It's nice, but it is literally in the middle of nowhere. Takes forever to get to decent shopping and dining.

Also, 55+ in Florida often, in reality, means 75+. Be prepared to be surrounded by VERY old people, for the most part.

Oh, thanks for that info. My parents are adamant that they want to be very close to places like Whole Foods, Trader Joe's etc. Easy to get to.

And, yes, my parents are 73 and 78 respectively but they worked until their late 60s so no moving earlier. I agree that most over 55 communities are much, much older than 55. I am almost 55 and I wouldn't mind living in one. I'm done with the kids and teens in the neighborhood.

Oh, thanks for that info. My parents are adamant that they want to be very close to places like Whole Foods, Trader Joe's etc. Easy to get to.

And, yes, my parents are 73 and 78 respectively but they worked until their late 60s so no moving earlier. I agree that most over 55 communities are much, much older than 55. I am almost 55 and I wouldn't mind living in one. I'm done with the kids and teens in the neighborhood.

Trader Joe's is an hour journey, on a good day. It's all the way up near Dr. Phillips. I never even saw a Whole Foods anywhere in the vicnity. Places like Target and Costco are a 30 min drive. All that is nearby is a crappy Publix, a couple pharmacies, fast food, and a Lowes home improvement store.

The thing is, most planned over-55 communities are in far suburbia, and specialty grocers often are not, because the young hipster crowd is their primary customer base. In Florida, that most often means near a downtown area. Are they insisting on a house, or would they be happy with a condo? Living in the older part of St. Petersburg would probably fit their needs if they are OK without the planned-community aspect. Also, somewhere near Downtown Sarasota would probably suit them. There are plenty of "senior" buildings in both areas (and in Venice as well; not sure why you couldn't locate them. https://www.venicemagazineonline.com/articles/2016/2/16/where-to-retire-in-venice), but most of them are not large complexes.

The thing is, most planned over-55 communities are in far suburbia, and specialty grocers often are not, because the young hipster crowd is their primary customer base. In Florida, that most often means near a downtown area. Are they insisting on a house, or would they be happy with a condo? Living in the older part of St. Petersburg would probably fit their needs if they are OK without the planned-community aspect. Also, somewhere near Downtown Sarasota would probably suit them. There are plenty of "senior" buildings in both areas (and in Venice as well; not sure why you couldn't locate them. https://www.venicemagazineonline.com/articles/2016/2/16/where-to-retire-in-venice), but most of them are not large complexes.

Did I say somewhere that I couldn't locate communities? I don't remember that!!!:)

My parents (as well as I) have spent our life in or close to the city. We are D.C. natives and while the city and the traffic can be a big sore spot, when really thinking about it, none of us wants to be in the boonies. Flourishing suburbs are just fine. My parents really like the idea of an over-55 community so that they can be more concentrated with folks of their own interests. Many of these communities have clubhouses and organized activities that force you to get to know your neighbors. They need that. Currently they live in a townhouse community that has changed over its residents so many times. Tons of kids, lots of parties and drunks in the parking areas on the weekends, etc. Mostly working families getting up and leaving at 5AM, slamming car doors, honking, speeding, etc. Not crime and they don't feel unsafe, but they just feel tired of dealing with all that. As you have said, they have found that many of the over-55 communities (at least in the Virginia area) are built in the middle of nowhere. There's a reason for that--keeps the housing costs way down and more accessible to seniors. But they have gotten spoiled by having everything close by and they want to continue that.

They don't have to have a single family home. They have considered looking at condos, especially in Naples, but they aren't overly thrilled with that. I think they really do prefer a home or a villa or something like that. It can be joined to another. Again, not a *must* though, if it were the right situation.

My MIL moved to a 55+ community near Ocala, FL. It is very clean, people are friendly, and the houses are nice. But, she now wishes she had moved to The Villages instead since she drives there (about an hour from her) several times a week for the activities. There is a dinner-theater near the area that she especially likes.

I think we will be young old people in the 55 plus community we choose but that's fine with us. I can't wait! We have an appointment this summer to look at our first one in Kissimmee, 4 seasons!

Did I say somewhere that I couldn't locate communities? I don't remember that!!!:)

My parents (as well as I) have spent our life in or close to the city. We are D.C. natives and while the city and the traffic can be a big sore spot, when really thinking about it, none of us wants to be in the boonies. Flourishing suburbs are just fine. My parents really like the idea of an over-55 community so that they can be more concentrated with folks of their own interests. Many of these communities have clubhouses and organized activities that force you to get to know your neighbors. They need that. Currently they live in a townhouse community that has changed over its residents so many times. Tons of kids, lots of parties and drunks in the parking areas on the weekends, etc. Mostly working families getting up and leaving at 5AM, slamming car doors, honking, speeding, etc. Not crime and they don't feel unsafe, but they just feel tired of dealing with all that. As you have said, they have found that many of the over-55 communities (at least in the Virginia area) are built in the middle of nowhere. There's a reason for that--keeps the housing costs way down and more accessible to seniors. But they have gotten spoiled by having everything close by and they want to continue that.

They don't have to have a single family home. They have considered looking at condos, especially in Naples, but they aren't overly thrilled with that. I think they really do prefer a home or a villa or something like that. It can be joined to another. Again, not a *must* though, if it were the right situation.
We like the villa too, DH & I side by side with my brother & his wife.

I think we will be young old people in the 55 plus community we choose but that's fine with us. I can't wait! We have an appointment this summer to look at our first one in Kissimmee, 4 seasons!
Truthfully, I was stay away from the area. Look up the crime report with the local authorities. I'm not saying it is totally bad, but there are so many other areas in Florida to live and we were told the worst place to retire is the Orlando Kissimmee area. This was from 2 local business men, that run construction companies in Florida.

Truthfully, I was stay away from the area. Look up the crime report with the local authorities. I'm not saying it is totally bad, but there are so many other areas in Florida to live and we were told the worst place to retire is the Orlando Kissimmee area. This was from 2 local business men, that run construction companies in Florida.

I've kind of heard that also and my parents have to some degree so they have avoided looking in that area (even though they like going to Disney).

Things can change too. My parents bought their place 20 years ago. They were the young ones then lol

Since then, there has been lots of changes. Less year round residents, many have left one way or another
The newer folks are not interested in bingo, or the potlucks, or darts or....

Most communal activities have stopped due to lack of interest. My mother has also lost half of her friends in the last 18 months.

Retiring somewhere warm is awesome. My mom loves living there full time, but the summers get a little lonely

Highly recommend renting a year or two before buying. You won’t truly know a place until you have lived there

Yes, I heard that as well. I think since DH and I will be at Disney we are just excited to see a 55 plus community. My brother and his wife are moving with us to the same community in a couple years. We have narrowed it down to the West Coast. Now we just have to find that community that we all like. There's not way my brother wants to be away from the water, and a slim change he will move to the atlantic side of florida. I'm excited to start looking though, so I think we will keep our appointment with K. Hovanian they might have other communities along the west coast or panhandle in mind. I'll be sure to check the crime rates though, thanks for the tip!

If you want warmer weather, you might also want to look at the West Villages, which are in Sarasota County between Venice and Myakka State Park. (This is NOT a part of THE Villages; different company altogether.) That far South the water is warm enough to swim for a good 9 months out of the year, so it's a good choice if you are into water sports.

This is a list of all of the HOA fees: https://www.davidbarrhomes.com/west-villages-venice-fl-fees Median property tax in Sarasota Co is just over $2K, but that's skewed a bit by the presence of so much expensive waterfront property on the coast.

Being near Sarasota is a plus if you enjoy the cultural scene; lots of theatre and art events there.

Wow thanks for the link you gave me a lot of great places to look at I appreciate it! The good thing is we have 1 1/2 to 2 years before we move so we have time to fly there and check places out in the meantime.
Great Info!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter