• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

5 years later...

abijanzo

Earning My Ears
Hi fellow Disney Fans!

We are coming 5th December for 2 weeks from the UK and that's exactly 5 years since our last visit and our first visit was 5 years before in 2013. We know have 3 older teens instead of toddlers.

What would you say are any big changes since December 2018? 5 years is a long time at Disney.

My daughter has disabilities and I see the whole DAS pass system has changed, but other than that, what would you say are the main changes to be aware of?

Thanks so much for any help!

The biggest non-DAS change is, of course, Genie+, a system that is not intuitive. It would be to your great benefit to learn about it before you get to WDW. There's a sticky post on the TPAS board. Read it (and weep!) and learn what you can.

Next, there are several new attractions since your last trip. Read up and decide what you want to do. To me, the best new attractions are at DHS: (1) Star Wars Rise of the Resistance (this is a must-do)--you can purchase an ILLs for this (read up on G+ and you'll learn about ILLs); (2) Millennium Falcon (I'm not a fan of this but it's worth going on just to see the inside of the ship); (3) Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway (I LOVE this ride); (4) Slinky Dog Dash (get G+ or prepare to stand in a looong line); (5) Alien Swirling Saucers (this could be skipped).

Also, learn about Mobile Ordering, since it makes QS life a lot easier. There must be threads here discussing this.

ADRs are now booked 60 days in advance (not the previous 90).

And there's more--others will add to the list, I'm sure!

ETA: Just seeing Batuu, the Star Wars area at DHS, is pretty fantastic. They did a great job designing this area. And make sure to get an ADR at Oga's.

So much has changed but I think at its core, much is the same.

I think for me personally, the change that feels the biggest is the 2pm park-hopping rule. I happen to dislike this limitation quite a bit, but it's workable. If you're a family who typically does park hoppers, you might want to look into that further to determine whether it's something you want to pay for or not.

No more Magical Express. Make sure to arrange alternative airport transportation. Personally I advise against Mears, as we had a really terrible experience with them when they stranded us at the resort upon our return to the airport.

Since you're going in December (btw, we will be there the same time as you!), you'll still need to make park reservations.

Genie+ is obviously a big difference, though I find it a lot easier in practice than it seems in theory. Familiarize yourself with it ahead of time but don't make yourself crazy worrying about the details. You'll get the hang of it when you actually DO it. Make sure you budget for it, especially considering the time of year your trip falls.

Be aware of the mobile ordering option. While I remember it being an option on our 2019 trip, it's EXTREMELY prevalent now, and very convenient. One random tip is to figure out which locations at your resort have mobile ordering as well and familiarize yourself with the menus, that way you can easily place an order when you're on the bus/monorail/skyliner back to your resort. It's nice to be able to just pick it up immediately and be on your way.

ADR's are now 60 days out, which I'm sure has already been mentioned.

Virtual queues are also a thing now. It's worth looking into how those work and figuring out whether it's something you want to use or whether you'd rather just go with ILL. Also know that once you get that boarding group you can use google to see what the average call time for your group will be.

Tons of new attractions and new places to eat, obviously.

Skyliner is new, which is mostly only relevant if you're at a skyline resort.

Splash Mountain is shut down for the refurb. Grand Floridian is under a pretty massive refurb which currently includes the lobby. Ongoing construction next to the Poly for the new DVC building is underway. I mention these in case they happen to impact any of your plans.

Things change at a lightning pace at WDW, but I'd suggest picking up a copy of the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World 2023 by Bob Sehlinger and Len Testa. It's a fun read and gives you a ton of updated valuable information that you'll need since you haven't been there in some time. Enjoy your trip!

Are you staying in property? Will all your kids have cellphones that work in the states?
If so, your teens might be ready for some independent adventures, and you can discover wandering around EPCOT World showcase and lingering over details as grownup spouses on a date. Plan some TS without them and turn them loose, with limits, if appropriate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter