Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

What do we think about me doing this race:
https://www.nyrr.org/races-and-events/2018/new-balance-5th-avenue-mile

The timing is terrible, so its not likely, but ... I have some thoughts, and I'm curious what other people think.

Oh wait ... that's supposed to be the peak long run day for the Bronx 10 mile, I think. So the timing works less than I thought.
Sigh. Next year, I guess (I thought about signing up for this last year but chickened out ... one year I'll do it).

Oh wait ... that's supposed to be the peak long run day for the Bronx 10 mile, I think. So the timing works less than I thought.
Sigh. Next year, I guess (I thought about signing up for this last year but chickened out ... one year I'll do it).
Boo, because I was gonna vote yes!

Boo, because I was gonna vote yes!

I'm right with you there. I really want to do it, but ... there are bigger fish to fry this year.
I'll just have to add sub-9:00 mile to my 2019 goals.

Racing 1 mile sounds kind of miserable to me, but I'd support you ;)

I saw it as one of those things where you run as fast as you can and then pass out right after you cross the finish line, which seems like it might be an interesting experience to have once.
But thanks :)

Also ... apparently combining my shopping addiction with mystery leads me to spend $50 on something I may or may not wear.

On a not unrelated note - InB people, what's up with these Easter eggs?

I can empathize.

Today has been both too long already and does not have enough hours for everything that needs completing.

Yeah, days like that are the worst. Stuff to do needs to learn to fit itself into a reasonable number of hours in the day. :(

You know when you think you have a plan but life just thwarts you?
One thing I've been thinking about is maybe running in Central Park after work every so often (not that I work close to Central Park, but I can take the subway up, dump my stuff at either the NYRR RUNCENTER or the running store, and go out to the park). It's raining kinda hard now, but should stop early to mid-afternoon, so I figured running in Central Park after work today would be perfect.
Alas ... today is not a regular work day. We're doing a hackathon, which doesn't end until 7 (and then there's happy hour, but I'll probably only stick around for one drink). So ... that's a no. Grr.
(I'll just run tomorrow instead ... I don't like to run Fridays because I like to leave work early on Fridays, which means getting in early, but tomorrow should be an okay day for me to have to stay a little later)

(And yes, @DopeyBadger, I know ... what would I do if it was a race, would I still skip? In this rain, depends on the race. If this is the weather for my local race next Sunday, that's gonna be a hard pass.)

Also ... apparently combining my shopping addiction with mystery leads me to spend $50 on something I may or may not wear.

On a not unrelated note - InB people, what's up with these Easter eggs?

The Easter eggs were mystery items they had for sale on April 1st, I believe. They usually do a mystery April Fools item and this year they were all Easter Eggs on the website. On the Facebook fan pages I think most people were able to accurately guess what the designs were going to be based on the look of the eggs. I think all of them were repeats of previous designs I think except in some cases things that were previously a tech tee were now singlets etc. They sold out really quickly on April 1st. By the time I looked at them they were sold out in my sizes, but seeing most of them after the reveal, none of them were things I especially wanted, so it was all good. I think today they had extras of the items that listed again, but sold out quickly again.

The Easter eggs were mystery items they had for sale on April 1st, I believe. They usually do a mystery April Fools item and this year they were all Easter Eggs on the website. On the Facebook fan pages I think most people were able to accurately guess what the designs were going to be based on the look of the eggs. I think all of them were repeats of previous designs I think except in some cases things that were previously a tech tee were now singlets etc. They sold out really quickly on April 1st. By the time I looked at them they were sold out in my sizes, but seeing most of them after the reveal, none of them were things I especially wanted, so it was all good. I think today they had extras of the items that listed again, but sold out quickly again.

Gotcha. I knew it was left over from something, but I wasnt sure what.
Based on the egg I bought, I have a good guess what it is ... not my favorite design ever, but cute enough that I'd wear it. Mostly I just wanted to buy something and I like mysteries. (I probably should have just bought the new singlet they released yesterday, since I love the colors ... but the design brought back some unpleasant memories about an old job. Oh well ... the new egg shirt should be cool too.)

Gotcha. I knew it was left over from something, but I wasnt sure what.
Based on the egg I bought, I have a good guess what it is ... not my favorite design ever, but cute enough that I'd wear it. Mostly I just wanted to buy something and I like mysteries. (I probably should have just bought the new singlet they released yesterday, since I love the colors ... but the design brought back some unpleasant memories about an old job. Oh well ... the new egg shirt should be cool too.)

I hope you like it!

I was really tempted by the new stuff yesterday, but I just ordered the Wisdom set and haven't even gotten that one yet, so I need to refrain!

My coworker told me we need to work on my confidence.
In my defense... all I did was build a countdown. It was a good countdown that adds to how the app looks, but its not like I built the video or audio or anything ...

My coworker told me we need to work on my confidence.
In my defense... all I did was build a countdown. It was a good countdown that adds to how the app looks, but its not like I built the video or audio or anything ...

On the other hand, time is tricky. Time zones. Conversion to/from UTC. Edge case scenarios all over. And that's before you're trying to get the stupid thing to render properly on the screen with all the elements where you want them.

Android, iOS, or both?

On the other hand, time is tricky. Time zones. Conversion to/from UTC. Edge case scenarios all over. And that's before you're trying to get the stupid thing to render properly on the screen with all the elements where you want them.

Android, iOS, or both?

Yeah, but this was just a basic "3...2...1...Start" countdown so that people were ready to start playing our gesture-driven web theremin. So not super complicated.

But getting it on top of the video was a little annoying. And getting it to stop counting when it hit 0.

(Also ... web, not mobile app ... I haven't done mobile in a while, but i want to do a mobile personal project at some point)

Yeah, but this was just a basic "3...2...1...Start" countdown so that people were ready to start playing our gesture-driven web theremin. So not super complicated.

But getting it on top of the video was a little annoying. And getting it to stop counting when it hit 0.

(Also ... web, not mobile app ... I haven't done mobile in a while, but i want to do a mobile personal project at some point)

I wrote an Android app for one of my other hobbies. It's definitely a project. At times fun. At times completely infuriating. So ...kind of like running.

I wrote an Android app for one of my other hobbies. It's definitely a project. At times fun. At times completely infuriating. So ...kind of like running.

Cool!
I've done iOS, but I do it through React Native, which is pretty much the same as a popular Web framework, React.
But yeah ... all development is at times fun and at times infuriating. Apparently all of my life is like that :)

Guys, they put classic syrup in my iced coffee. I thought I asked for unsweetened, but I might have mumbled. It's not a big deal so I didnt go back and ask them to remake it, but it just tastes off now. I do still love this Starbucks, though.
(Of course, my office is moving at some point, so I'll have to leave this wonderful Starbucks and find one I like near the new office. But that's a lit bit away - we just got the official notice this week, and theres no timeline on when we're moving.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter